Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hopefully Some Of These Mock Drafts Are Wrong

GGW4Mike

There is a slim chance we can get him. Honestly, it's easier to make a prediction on draft day during the draft. If teams lean heavily towards linemen then he could fall.

I honestly believe that if he slips past Chicago he could fall to us. McShay (Not that I really trust BSPN anyway) had him falling to us at 34. Giants have signed a TE and expect to get both of their TE's back. Broncos just signed 2 TE's so there really isn't a need there. They need a WR for Manning. 49er's have Davis and plenty of other weapons.

Well, mock drafts are worth their weight in turds so......take them for what they're worth.

Gronk went in the second round but many figure this was due to a previous injury. Fleener's name has quite a buzz and I believe many teams are eyeballing him, many teams know other teams are eyeballing him, so I could see a team or two trying to reach up and grab him ahead of his projected spot.

Being that this is a league of parity, many teams are fighting for the 'Gronk effect'.

EDIT: lol @ s n a t c h being in the word filter. Like....lol....really? Seriously, this word is problematic to what extent exactly? lol anywho....

I just dont feel comfortable with Eldridge being our TE. Luck relied heavily on this TE's at Stanford as they were big targets. Brody is more of a blocking TE than a receiving. Hopefully we have some tricks up our sleeves to pull something off!

Stephen Hill would be good idea if we didnt have bigger needs, we can always draft a wide receiver in the late rounds this year and an elite one next year early, we can get by with wayne and collie and avery for a year, and I bet thats what Irsay and Grigson are thinking given the Avery signing

Well you gotta look at it this way, how much more do these guys know than us. Sure they find out the news before us, but everyone knows the needs of the teams. so they just pick diffrent positions the teams might take in the first round, i don't think a person has ever predicted a first round in the draft, for the reason of trades and there is so many surprises like the christian ponder pick last year.

Why is everybody all of a sudden hung up on drafting this kid now? It would be a huge mistake IMO to draft a TE with our second pick when there are better options that would be much more helpful to the team. Namely a NT or even a CB(which I don't endorse), but still better than a TE. Yes the Colts need a pass catching TE and yes, Luck is familiar with him, but a TE could be had in the 4th or 5th rd..

i would much rather have Hill at 34 than fleener, WR is a need, we have no #2 and imo with Hills size and speed he could easily become a #1 for us, and learning from wayne wont hurt, i think he will be a beast in the NFL

Why is everybody all of a sudden hung up on drafting this kid now? It would be a huge mistake IMO to draft a TE with our second pick when there are better options that would be much more helpful to the team. Namely a NT or even a CB(which I don't endorse), but still better than a TE. Yes the Colts need a pass catching TE and yes, Luck is familiar with him, but a TE could be had in the 4th or 5th rd..

DT is really not that deep this year with the best guys going in the 1st according to most mocks. If Fleener is there, you have to take him.

We can get a good WR in the 3rd.

DT is really not that deep this year with the best guys going in the 1st according to most mocks. If Fleener is there, you have to take him.

We can get a good WR in the 3rd.

Now that opens a whole new can of worms with me. If they go TE then WR back to back in rds. 2 and 3, I think I may have an aneurysm. Haven't we learned our lessen about building a team the wrong way? And yes, IMO thats the wrong way. Build the lines, offensive and defensive. Better talent at LBer, better CB's. We do not need the top rated skill players to be successful, but we do need to be a tougher more physical team on defense to be successful. Im perfectly satisfied with our current WR's and RB's. We can fill any needs there with depth picks and UDFA's.

Now that opens a whole new can of worms with me. If they go TE then WR back to back in rds. 2 and 3, I think I may have an aneurysm. Haven't we learned our lessen about building a team the wrong way? And yes, IMO thats the wrong way. Build the lines, offensive and defensive. Better talent at LBer, better CB's. We do not need the top rated skill players to be successful, but we do need to be a tougher more physical team on defense to be successful. Im perfectly satisfied with our current WR's and RB's. We can fill any needs there with depth picks and UDFA's.

Building a team the wrong way? We've had one of the most successful teams over the past decade by building through skill positions in the draft..

Our oline is pretty solid right now and we will probably use some later picks to fortify it. Defensive line needs some work but like I said, this DT draft isn't that deep. Get Fleener in the 2nd if he's there. WR in the later rounds to start develop with Luck and learn from Reggie. Avery is good WHEN HEALTHY but thats the whole key with him.

he isnt going to be there at 34. sorry to break it to you.

I dont think so. I have a feeling no one will pick Fleener in the first. Rudolph was a better TE in college last year and fell to the 2nd round. Also there isnt a high demand for TE, mark my words he will be avaliable at no. 34. No saying we will draft him though.

Building a team the wrong way? We've had one of the most successful teams over the past decade by building through skill positions in the draft..

Our oline is pretty solid right now and we will probably use some later picks to fortify it. Defensive line needs some work but like I said, this DT draft isn't that deep. Get Fleener in the 2nd if he's there. WR in the later rounds to start develop with Luck and learn from Reggie. Avery is good WHEN HEALTHY but thats the whole key with him.

Yes, the wrong way. Say what you want but the Colts would have been much more successful if Polian had put more emphesis on the o-line and d-line. If he would have held onto some of our better LBer's and didn't try to plug in nobody's in the secondary. Manning proved that with average WR's, TE's, and RB's that we could still be successful on offense. Easy to me, if we'd had better talent in the positions I mentioned the Colts would have had 3 to 5 super bowls.

Yes, the wrong way. Say what you want but the Colts would have been much more successful if Polian had put more emphesis on the o-line and d-line. If he would have held onto some of our better LBer's and didn't try to plug in nobody's in the secondary. Manning proved that with average WR's, TE's, and RB's that we could still be successful on offense. Easy to me, if we'd had better talent in the positions I mentioned the Colts would have had 3 to 5 super bowls.

Don't get how you can reallly be more successful than 10+ wins for a decade. This isn't fantasy football. Teams don't win the amount of games we did over the past decade. Ask a Miami or Raiders fan about that. We were extremly blessed to have a good team every year for about 10 years in a row.

my thinking is he might go to the Giants if by chance he actually goes in the first round but I dont see him going in the first, hes not elite by any stretch

To be a good TE in the NFL, you don't have to be a first round pick. If I remember correctly, Brandon Pettigrew was a first round pick, but Gronkowski was a 2nd rounder and Hernandez was a 4th rounder. Tamme was a 4th rounder and Antonio Gates was undrafted. You can find good TEs later in the draft, he doesn't have to be a monster coming out of college to be a good pro TE

I agree with you until I think of the Jets. Though I'm expecting Pagano to be better than Ryan, and definitely expecting Luck to be better than Sanchez.

Most every team can upgrade on the OL, and we're no exception.

Defensively, we have many pieces that don't seem to fit, and, not knowing if Freeney will re-do his deal, he could only be with us for another year, so DE is a need also.

I'm thinking that, within reason, we'll go for PBA, and make due with what we have for the coming year. Next year we'll have a ton of dough for FA, and should have a decent draft spot as well.

I find it hard to believe we'll be able to fix everything in one year, and could/would be foolish to try.

Don't get how you can reallly be more successful than 10+ wins for a decade. This isn't fantasy football. Teams don't win the amount of games we did over the past decade. Ask a Miami or Raiders fan about that. We were extremly blessed to have a good team every year for about 10 years in a row.

As much as I hate to agree with what the media has said about the Colts for yrs., they were absolutely right when they always said the Colts were not built to win in the playoffs. The teams that Polian built were fine in the regular season because many times they played inferior teams. In the playoffs, teams are balanced and more physical and most of the time it bit the Colts in the butt because they couldn't match balanced talent other playoff teams had.

Yes, you don't get much better than that. However, if you shy away from FA, and whiff on a few drafts in a row, it can fall apart quickly, as we now know.

Besides, the Polian's, and the entire coaching staff are gone for a reason.

Nothing wrong with either approach, but we're heading in a new direction.

Stephen Hill would be good idea if we didnt have bigger needs, we can always draft a wide receiver in the late rounds this year and an elite one next year early, we can get by with wayne and collie and avery for a year, and I bet thats what Irsay and Grigson are thinking given the Avery signing

Avery caught less than 10 balls last year. If he stays healthy, great. You can't count on him at this point. WR is a team need. Collie is good, not elite. Same with Avery. That's if they are healthy. Team needs a future #1 or #2 this season to learn under Wayne.

As much as I hate to agree with what the media has said about the Colts for yrs., they were absolutely right when they always said the Colts were not built to win in the playoffs. The teams that Polian built were fine in the regular season because many times they played inferior teams. In the playoffs, teams are balanced and more physical and most of the time it bit the Colts in the butt because they couldn't match balanced talent other playoff teams had.

The Ravens are a well balanced physical team but are without high level skill players on offense. Thay have been to only one superbowl and that was at a time when defense won championships. Not any more.

Why would you not endorse a CB.Id love to have Gilmore at 34.

The Ravens are a well balanced physical team but are without high level skill players on offense. Thay have been to only one superbowl and that was at a time when defense won championships. Not any more.

The Ravens did not have Peyton Manning or anyone of his caliber. heck they won with Trent Dilfer who came in halfway through the season in his 1st year with the team.

Why would you not endorse a CB.Id love to have Gilmore at 34.

Highly doubtful Gilmore will be there at 34, if he was I wouldn't have a problem grabbing him there. IMO the NT spot is the biggest need on defense right now. Even if they have to reach a bit to get the best one available there then thats what should happen JMO.

Highly doubtful Gilmore will be there at 34, if he was I wouldn't have a problem grabbing him there. IMO the NT spot is the biggest need on defense right now. Even if they have to reach a bit to get the best one available there then thats what should happen JMO.

I couldn't disagree more. Teams who reach waste the value of the pick, overpay for talent, and end up more often than not needing to replace that same position sooner than desired because the player doesn't perform, or the return on investment doesn't exist and the player is cut. Look at a pick like Hughes. First round money on a player who can't even stay on the field for special teams, let alone make any impact as a pass rusher, which was the reason he got into the first round to begin with. The Colts may have had the luxury of reaching, or trying to fit square pegs in round holes when they were drafting 27th in every round, but those days are gone. There isn't a position on the Colts roster which couldn't be upgraded, so not selecting the best player on the board would be a huge mistake. The only positions I don't see them considering at 34 is T or RB. Two picks on T's last year, and of all positions, RB at least has talent and some depth. I get that there is no NT right now. There isn't a TE either. But that doesn't mean you take fifth round talent at 34 overall. This is exactly why the Rams got out of the second pick. If RG3 is the second best player on their board, and they don't feel like they need a QB, you move down. You don't inflate the value of Kalil or Richardson or Claiborne. You move out if you can. I would rather see the Colts trade down from 34 for additional picks than way over-value a guy like Ta'Amu, for example.

The Ravens did not have Peyton Manning or anyone of his caliber. heck they won with Trent Dilfer who came in halfway through the season in his 1st year with the team.

Exactly. I agree. I'm saying you don't win championships without the skill players on offense. The Dilfer year was a fluke. Skilled offensive teams win championships now

what if we trade up to get Fleenor, giving them our 2nd round pick and perhaps a 4th. Too risky you think?

I say no. There are so many starters that have to be found. QB, TE, NT, ILB, OLB, CB, and maybe FS and WR. FB? Fleener is not worth three players. He isn't that good a TE. No. If anything I think they need to trade down to acquire more picks, not give up picks for one player who is not completely unique and dynamic.

No need to trade up this year. Almost every position needs an upgrade. Take the value at 34 and move on to round 3

what im thinking is that Fleenor and Luck could be the most productive TE/QB tandem the league has ever seen coming out the same year and everything. maybe no tony gonzalez but a heck of a TE to get.

what im thinking is that Fleenor and Luck could be the most productive TE/QB tandem the league has ever seen coming out the same year and everything. maybe no tony gonzalez but a heck of a TE to get.

Fleener can't block. He is a slot/WR/receiving type guy with size. One dimensional. He is good, the best TE in this draft, but not worth two or three players. And where do you move up to get him? Anywhere from 22 down? Cleveland's second first rounder and down the list? The 22nd pick is worth 1600 points. The Colts 34th pick is worth 560. The Colts would likely have to give up three or four picks in this draft, or more likely their first in 2013 to move into the first round this year. Way too many holes and needs to throw away picks for one player who can be found in most drafts. I like Fleener a lot, but nowhere near that much.