Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Picking up the flag

jvan1973

I didn't see any official explanation. Just assumed they talked themselves out of it because it happened so quickly. On replay, it was clearly PI.

By the way, obligatory "Riveron is awful" inserted here. His NY command crew inexplicably refused to change almost every PI challenge last season, so they just ditched the ability to challenge PI. 

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

They conferred and decided against it.

I don't understand why it wasn't reviewed?  Can coaches no longer ask for reviews on PI calls?

No... it was a one year only rule and only got overturned 3 times out of something like 60 challenges 

The only thing I heard was the poor defense offered on the broadcast.  I notice they didn’t bring in their officials export.  Sorry but the announcers should have said what it was a blown call and not “well when you see you in real time it’s close, remember we are watching it on slow motion.”  That doesn’t make it okay.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I didn't see any official explanation. Just assumed they talked themselves out of it because it happened so quickly. On replay, it was clearly PI.

By the way, obligatory "Riveron is awful" inserted here. His NY command crew inexplicably refused to change almost every PI challenge last season, so they just ditched the ability to challenge PI. 

Pat McAfee agrees with you.  He rails on Riveron every chance he gets.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

The only thing I heard was the poor defense offered on the broadcast.  I notice they didn’t bring in their officials export.  Sorry but the announcers should have said what it was a blown call and not “well when you see you in real time it’s close, remember we are watching it on slow motion.”  That doesn’t make it okay.

One problem I have is that if the refs are not sure they can't just go over and review it.

Any call where 2 refs disagree, they aught to be able to review it.

I grant that it happened so fast that you can't always tell at full speed.  So use the technology.

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

One problem I have is that if the refs are not sure they can't just go over and review it.

I grant that it happened so fast that you can't always tell at full speed.  So use the technology.

The officials egos don’t want that.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I personally don't want to increase the use of replay, especially for things they can settle on the field. They conferred pretty quickly and made a decision, and for the most part I'm okay with that. 

But the league in general so strongly resisted adding PI review, then basically sabotaged it the one year it was in, and that's what annoys me. (My memory says that's what they did when review was first added way back when, and then it went away for a couple years, and came back in the present format, for the most part.) They refused to change anything called on the field, and many of the calls were clear and obvious, but NY didn't care. So no more PI review.

In that case yesterday, if they get together and pick up the flag without replay, fine. But why can't that be challenged by the coach? And why can't the review be judged by the same 'clear and obvious' standard as any other play that's reviewable? 

I was starting to get really upset when they threw that flag on Carrie for the sideline hit, and then they conferred, and I thought they were going to penalize him for a pretty innocuous hit. When they picked it up, I felt like it was basically a wash, and I was good.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I could see if the flag wasn't thrown.   Picking it up seems without an explanation is stupid

Like I said the officials screwed up.  At least it was only one time this week as opposed to other times this season.  By the standards of officials for the Colts this season yesterday’s crew was down right good lol.

30 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

they need to bring back flag challenges , but this time have someone from new york making the call .  If you let the refs make the call they are gonna always stick with their own call .

New York is involved in every challenge.

I was SUPER * when that happened.  Might have said a few curse words (although I don't remember).  I felt like that directly took points off the board for us as we would have been in easy chip shot FG range at a minimum.  And it was during the competitive part of the game.  I didn't understand it and have zero idea how they picked that up.  

Luckily it didn't cost us.

Archived