Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Browns Game Day Thread, October 11, 2020, 4:25pm

NFLfan

Just now, coming on strong said:

the problem with that play was hines was wide open for a 5 yard gain .  hines was running to the same side rivers threw it to . rivers panicked the pocket was folding in but a check down is a faster throw .  his vision was bad .

might have been hines running the wrong route. couldn't tell who it was, but it was near where he threw it. both guys were open on that side. it's really hard to know unless Rivers or Reich confirm post game. Just like that throw to Pascal last week that tossed before the break for a big conversion, had Pascal not run the correct route, people would have been screaming bad pass.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EastStreet said:

might have been hines running the wrong route. couldn't tell who it was, but it was near where he threw it. both guys were open on that side. it's really hard to know unless Rivers or Reich confirm post game. Just like that throw to Pascal last week that tossed before the break for a big conversion, had Pascal not run the correct route, people would have been screaming bad pass.

even so if your a QB and you look and hines is wide open and you throw it over hines to no one .   if rivers is just throwing it to a area he assumes a player will be without even looking to see who is over there that is dangerous . 

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

do you honestly think the team can beat a playoff team with rivers?  i think the only teams we match up well with are teams with good defenses and bad QB play like the bears .  how can this team beat the chiefs or the packers with rivers .  last year could of been a fluke beating the chiefs .  to be a good team the team has to be able to win in different ways and the team can only win if the defense plays light out right now .

The Bears are probably a playoff team this year, and Rivers beat Green Bay last season and the Chiefs at Arrowhead in December of the prior one, so yeah.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pretty sure one ran the wrong route. Rivers immediately signaled was supposed to a curl instead of a post, or vice versa. Was also talking to the WR right after the play.

doesn't change the fact that he is starring down WR like a FN rookie... he had one open and running that would of been a HUGE gain... He is the one on charge and he had another bad day... I had high hopes for him with our Oline ( which have been B at best this year and that is being generous) his connection with Reich & Sirianni would make for a nice O... this is now year 3 and I am not impressed at all with our OC... we are by no means the best D in the league... our soft cover 2 zone SUX...I undertsnad that this is a Covid year... but done with excuses and I hope Isray chews some *

24 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

And they scored 20 in 2 quarters, which forced us to change the offensive plan.

Why?  We were only down 10.  We take the 2nd half kick & score a touchdown & it’s a 3 point game. No need to change our offensive plan unless it called for us to throw it twice as much as we ran it. Which was almost the case at halftime. 

1 minute ago, CS Coltsfan said:

doesn't change the fact that he is starring down WR like a FN rookie... he had one open and running that would of been a HUGE gain... He is the one on charge and he had another bad day... I had high hopes for him with our Oline ( which have been B at best this year and that is being generous) his connection with Reich & Sirianni would make for a nice O... this is now year 3 and I am not impressed at all with our OC... we are by no means the best D in the league... our soft cover 2 zone SUX...I undertsnad that this is a Covid year... but done with excuses and I hope Isray chews some *

With Reich calling plays, not gong to be too critical of our OC. Of the coordinators, I'm more critical of Flus. I wonder though how much of the conservativeness, or softness, might come from Reich.

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Why?  We were only down 10.  We take the 2nd half kick & score a touchdown & it’s a 3 point game. No need to change our offensive plan unless it called for us to throw it twice as much as we ran it. Which was almost the case at halftime. 

You’re operating in hindsight. At that point in the game we were in a shootout. No way to know if the defense was going to respond like they did

Just now, Smoke317 said:

When you give up 20 in a half, you have to figure you're going to need points, and change things up. Even Reich likely knew early we'd need points, which likely was a reason he went for it on 4th down on the goal line.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

When you give up 20 in a half, you have to figure you're going to need points, and change things up. Even Reich likely knew early we'd need points, which likely was a reason he went for it on 4th down on the goal line.

I disagree. I think you impose your will on the game in the 2nd half by putting together a long ball controlled drive. Cut the score to 3. Continue that half with an emphasis on winning time possession & controlling the ball.  You don’t give up hope on your top rated defense so easily.   Once we adjusted to their bootlegs & kept Baker in the pocket it was a different game. Rivers thinks a 3 yd pass to Hines or whomever is the same as a 4 yd run to Taylor when it isn’t.  We establish an identity with pounding Taylor not Rivers throwing it more than we run it. 

13 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

even so if your a QB and you look and hines is wide open and you throw it over hines to no one .   if rivers is just throwing it to a area he assumes a player will be without even looking to see who is over there that is dangerous . 

LOL. Come on man. I'm starting to think you don't have a clue about how passing games work. QBs throw all the time to areas assuming pass catchers run the right route. You need to watch the Rivers and 3rd video breakdown. Or any of the QB breakdowns out there. Trusting your pass catcher to run the right route is integral. It's one of many reasons JB is mediocre. He can't read, he can't progress, and he's not able to throw it with anticipation. He mostly throws only when he sees someone wide open. 

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I disagree. I think you impose your will on the game in the 2nd half by putting together a long ball controlled drive. Cut the score to 3. Continue that half with an emphasis on winning time possession & controlling the ball.  You don’t give up hope on your top rated defense so easily.   Once we adjusted to their bootlegs & kept Baker in the pocket it was a different game. Rivers thinks a 3 yd pass to Hines or whomever is the same as a 4 yd run to Taylor when it isn’t.  We establish an identity with pounding Taylor not Rivers throwing it more than we run it. 

What makes you think we can impose our will lol? Our OL run grades have been bad, and Cleveland is good vs the run (top 5). We've been able to do that vs some bad teams with bad Os and/or bad Ds, but not against a team like Cleveland. When you give up 20 in a half like we did (it actually looked worse than 20), you don't assume you're D is going to be able to shut someone down. And the adjustments we made to the D were too late, and came at a time when the Browns started going conservative and running more. The only good pressure we really got was on 3rd down when they had to pass. Again, too late. This is not the bad Brownies of the past. They have top OL, and are very good vs the run. 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

you cant expect the defense to hold the team to 14 every single game .  the offense has to be able to score more then 16 points . this is the modern nfl the offenses have a huge advantage .  this game is on rivers he is really bad .   he gave up 9 points while scoring 16 points on offense  .  the offense only had a plus minus of 7 points  that is horrible .

This game, in my humble opinion, was not all on Rivers.  We moved the ball down the field on the first drive and scored a TD.  Then, then next time we get in the RedZone, we stopped running.  I don't get it.  We need to run the ball more, and set up the pass.  I disagree with the announcers, they weren't selling out to stop the run on us.  JT with 4.8 ypc... he's had one 100 yard game,  nd ever since, we haven't pounded him.  Rivers ain't the best, but this ain't all on him.   If your starting left tackle is out, and they have the best edge rusher in the game, you gotta counter that...with the run.  Again, just my opinion.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

What makes you think we can impose our will lol? Our OL run grades have been bad, and Cleveland is good vs the run (top 5). We've been able to do that vs some bad teams with bad Os and/or bad Ds, but not against a team like Cleveland. When you give up 20 in a half like we did (it actually looked worse than 20), you don't assume you're D is going to be able to shut someone down. And the adjustments we made to the D were too late, and came at a time when the Browns started going conservative and running more. The only good pressure we really got was on 3rd down when they had to pass. Again, too late. This is not the bad Brownies of the past. They have top OL, and are very good vs the run. 

Our D got us back in the game, and had we run more, we could have won this game.  Their D wasn't stopping JT.  Now Hines, that's a different story.  For all his talk about stats, it seems Reich is missing the most obvious one and that is JT pounding the rock.

2 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

I agree that Rivers was staring down receivers like a rookie on some plays, but I just don't understand the play calling.  Specifically when you're backed up in the near the goaline, why aren't we running with JT?

32 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Our D got us back in the game, and had we run more, we could have won this game.  Their D wasn't stopping JT.  Now Hines, that's a different story.  For all his talk about stats, it seems Reich is missing the most obvious one and that is JT pounding the rock.

Browns went conservative, which made it appear like our D was better. We had one good series on D. Both INTs where bad throws pretty much straight to the D. The could have continue to torch us had they used the same game plan as they did 1st half. We were still playing soft with cushion. 

JT is playing better, but our OL is not, and the Browns were playing a lot of soft coverage because we were forced to throw a lot. The were happy to let us run.

• NFLfan unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived