Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patty Mac - 21St Best Punter In The League!

The Peytonator

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1104402-br-nfl-1000-top-32-punters#/articles/1104402-br-nfl-1000-top-32-punters/page/13

I don't get it to be honest. The two things that are really dragging his rating down are his abilities to pin the opponent inside the 20 or the 10. I guess bleacherreport doesn't account for the fact that the offense barely moved the ball and he was regularly punting from his own 10....I imagine it's kinda hard to punt the ball 80 yards. Kinda funny that the pic they use of him, he's punting from our endzone.

They should also account for his tackling ability. He's easily the best tackling punter in the league.

he did very good last year also taking into account we couldnt move the ball till they finally put Orlovsky in which I said they should have done all year long, but I dont think we would be in a position to get Luck now though if Orlovsky played the whole season

Yeah I like most of the ratings they've been doing, they seem pretty accurate. When looking at Pat's raw numbers, sure he didn't put a lot inside the 20, but I don't think Andy Lee would be doing that either with our field position and punt coverage teams.

I've liked the player ranking thing they've been doing, but Pat's ranking is the only one so far I really had a problem with.

Hah I ran through this article the other day and was like who in the world would critique 20+ pages of punters!! Hahah they must've been pretty bored. That being said Patty Mac should've been ranked higher, but it is bleacher report after all. Gotta take them with a grain of salt but occasionally they do have some interesting articles. No worse than some of the jibber jabber articles from local columnist + articles/stories from ESPN & NFL network.

I would say Pat has the ability to be a top 10 punter but was he? No. He regularly out kicked his coverage and I think his directional kicking could have been better. Lets be honest...his tackling is not even something that should be mentioned. If he does his job right than there shouldn't be a return greater than 10 yards. Is it better to punt the ball 60 yards and have 25 yard returns and give up touchdowns or to punt the ball 45 yards and have 5 yard returns and no touchdowns. Point is you can't out kick your coverage no matter how bad they are..and especially how bad they are. Give them shorter punts and more hang time and force more fair catches would do us better than force our pitiful special teams to make open field tackles. Better directional kicking and forcing more fair catches would have resulted in better punt coverage. Yes he has a huge leg and if we had better quality tacklers and speed on special teams we could cover better but you have to kick to our coverage and I think on many occassions he didn't do that. Do you honestly think other kickers can't kick the ball just as far or further? Sure...but they kick to the coverage they have...I know some have better special team tacklers and cover guys so it allows them to kick further but we don't and he knows it....he needs to kick better to our coverage in my opinion. I pray someday we will have quality players on special teams and be able to allow him to kick the crap out of it but until then I think he could do better. The only player I saw on our team last year play up to or above what I thought was Pierre Garcon last year. He showed great growth as a player and had career year...the rest need improvement..including Pat.

Wow BP was right! just kidding, Pat is a great punter a better ST player and overall great guy,my daughter has met him twice in Broad Ripple and says he is the most down to earth guy. Maybe with a real ST coach in place, Pat can go back to working on more kicking and less stopping touchdowns.

Wow BP was right! just kidding, Pat is a great punter a better ST player and overall great guy,my daughter has met him twice in Broad Ripple and says he is the most down to earth guy. Maybe with a real ST coach in place, Pat can go back to working on more kicking and less stopping touchdowns.

haha Broad Ripple? Is that the name of a canal?