Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 Cap Space And Offseason

BProland85

Its a year early yes, but I think most will agree we arent expected to do much this year...maybe a 5-11 or 6-10 record at best.

So with that said, what is our salary cap slated to look like in 2013? I hear we gain about 40 million in that dead cap space we had this offseason. So with that, should we have around 50 million in cap space?

And if we have tons of room, who are some big names who are in their last years of their contracts this year? Any possible future Colts that are studs out there?

I say the colts trade the 1st pick this year (they're going to stink). 3-13 at best. Then draft Barkley in 2013

Sorry you're a little late to that gig. When Manning was still considered to play for the Colts it was thrown out there but too late now

I say the colts trade the 1st pick this year (they're going to stink). 3-13 at best. Then draft Barkley in 2013

No sense in doing that when we have a guy who is better in Luck. Plus who would we have at QB in 2012? If we arent going to have anyone good, why would anyone show up for the games in 2012? Yeah...dont think Irsay is doing that.

Its a year early yes, but I think most will agree we arent expected to do much this year...maybe a 5-11 or 6-10 record at best.

So with that said, what is our salary cap slated to look like in 2013? I hear we gain about 40 million in that dead cap space we had this offseason. So with that, should we have around 50 million in cap space?

And if we have tons of room, who are some big names who are in their last years of their contracts this year? Any possible future Colts that are studs out there?

From my calculations, we will have 27 players on contract that account for $49.22MM.

Add Luck/RG3 to that and we have 28 players on contract that account for $54.48MM, with the following 18 FAs:

Caldwell; Collie; Cosby; Edds; Freeney; Gronkowski, Ijalana; A. Johnson; Justice; King; Linkenbach; McAfee; Moala; Olsen; Powers; Reitz; Snow; White

I project the 2013 cap to be $121.80MM, leaving a total cap room of $67.33MM, and needing to fill in the holes left by the above FAs.

Well I think Darelle Revis, Patrick Willis, Jake Long, Victor Cruz, and Greg Jennings are all FA's next year....it's not going to happen but I would probably explode with giddiness if we got Patrick Willis...Darelle Revis is nice too :)

I know that the release of Clark, Bullitt, Addai and Brackett frees up 25M for next year. The Colts should have a ton of cap space next year and we should be able to make signings and all of our resignings.

From my calculations, we will have 27 players on contract that account for $49.22MM.

Add Luck/RG3 to that and we have 28 players on contract that account for $54.48MM, with the following 18 FAs:

Caldwell; Collie; Cosby; Edds; Freeney; Gronkowski, Ijalana; A. Johnson; Justice; King; Linkenbach; McAfee; Moala; Olsen; Powers; Reitz; Snow; White

I project the 2013 cap to be $121.80MM, leaving a total cap room of $67.33MM, and needing to fill in the holes left by the above FAs.

I dont think Ijalana would be a fa...he would be on his 3rd year wasnt his contract 4 years? or 5?

I know that the release of Clark, Bullitt, Addai and Brackett frees up 25M for next year. The Colts should have a ton of cap space next year and we should be able to make signings and all of our resignings.
dont we have like 40 million on dead cap? so wouldnt we have like 40 millions + whatever the new cap room is ?

And from this list it wouldn't surprise me if only McAfee is re-signed.

I dont think Ijalana would be a fa...he would be on his 3rd year wasnt his contract 4 years? or 5?

Good catch. I missed it.

Here is the correction:

From my calculations, we will have 28 players on contract that account for $50.33MM.

Add Luck/RG3 to that and we have 29 players on contract that account for $55.59MM, with the following 17 FAs:

Caldwell; Collie; Cosby; Edds; Freeney; Gronkowski; A. Johnson; Justice; King; Linkenbach; McAfee; Moala; Olsen; Powers; Reitz; Snow; White

I project the 2013 cap to be $121.80MM, leaving a total cap room of $66.22MM, and needing to fill in the holes left by the above FAs.

dont we have like 40 million on dead cap? so wouldnt we have like 40 millions + whatever the new cap room is ?

No, those cuts were treated as pre June 1 cuts, and they all hit 2012 cap at 100%. No further cap hit in 2013 from those cuts.

So the $38MM dead cap space only hits 2012 cap space, and has no affect on 2013 cap space.

No sense in doing that when we have a guy who is better in Luck. Plus who would we have at QB in 2012? If we arent going to have anyone good, why would anyone show up for the games in 2012? Yeah...dont think Irsay is doing that.

If the Colts are going to stink it up this season, they might as well tank ala 2011. And they showed up for Collins, Painter, and Orvlovsky, didnt they?

If the Colts are going to stink it up this season, they might as well tank ala 2011. And they showed up for Collins, Painter, and Orvlovsky, didnt they?

We already had a bad season. Now we can draft a quarterback. Why have another bad season just to draft a different quarterback?

I bet we are the only franchise talking about 2013 at this point. Everyone wants to win next year, except us.

I disagree. I think most of us want the Colts to win. However, our expectations are not that lofty that we think we can win the SB this upcoming season with all the major changes that we are currently going through. I think it is reasonable to expect that we will win more than we did last season.

We already had a bad season. Now we can draft a quarterback. Why have another bad season just to draft a different quarterback?

SBorbust85 projected the Colts would be 5-11 or 6-10 this season. I'm just staying within the parameters of the topic

To add to jemacks side( even though I believe we should draft Luck) the reason we should trade the pick and aim for barkley next year is because we will be loaded up on picks. Look what the rams got for the #2 pick. Barkley is probably gonna be the #1 overall pick next year is he continues what he did the latter half of this season. He flat out outplayed Luck in the last few games to close out the season. In a pro style offense too. Hes gonna be a polished all-round good qb when he comes out. Unless something happens like a torn acl or horrible season etc..

ya know even if we go 2-14 again which just wont happen as I see it anyway, it will be fun just to see a few completed passes out their beyond 3-4 yards I have no idea what in the world the colts were thinking drafting Painter other then he is a hometown boy crap but anyway moving on

To add to jemacks side( even though I believe we should draft Luck) the reason we should trade the pick and aim for barkley next year is because we will be loaded up on picks. Look what the rams got for the #2 pick. Barkley is probably gonna be the #1 overall pick next year is he continues what he did the latter half of this season. He flat out outplayed Luck in the last few games to close out the season. In a pro style offense too. Hes gonna be a polished all-round good qb when he comes out. Unless something happens like a torn acl or horrible season etc..

The Rams traded their 1st round pick because they have Sam Bradford who has already proved he can be a franchise QB, otherwise they wouldn't have done it

then again their is the slight possibility if we traded for a whole bunch of picks that we do go 5-11 -6-10 and DONT get the number one pick next year, yeah I dont see that as a good idea to trade away a carbon copy of Peyton

SBorbust85 projected the Colts would be 5-11 or 6-10 this season. I'm just staying within the parameters of the topic

Yeah, even within those parameters (which I take issue with, by the way), why trade our pick this year instead of just taking the highly rated quarterback now and letting him get his sea legs under him? Trading the pick is only putting us back another year.

Luck can do everything Barkley can do, with better size and athletism.

I'm all for drafting Luck, but if Barkley had come out, I'd be open to trading down for him and getting more value out of his draft, which is super deep. But I'm not a "trade the pick" advocate. I'm just saying I like Barkley.

Yeah, even within those parameters (which I take issue with, by the way), why trade our pick this year instead of just taking the highly rated quarterback now and letting him get his sea legs under him? Trading the pick is only putting us back another year.

If you take issue with the topic, the point is mute.