Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone watch a football life Marshall Faulk?

Bert Johns

Colts fans lost this hall of famer for being a couple minutes late for a team meeting. Jim Mora said he was a couple minutes late for a meeting and Marshall said his watch was fast. Mora didn't like Marshall would show up ( if meeting was 8:00 he would show up 3 minutes before) which Mora didn't like per Mora's own words. This cost us in my opinion at least 1 Superbowl if not more. We lost Marshall being 3 minutes late to a meeting. They should of fired Mora and kept Marshall. I was in disbelief.

8 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

Colts fans lost this hall of famer for being a couple minutes late for a team meeting. Jim Mora said he was a couple minutes late for a meeting and Marshall said his watch was fast. Mora didn't like Marshall would show up ( if meeting was 8:00 he would show up 3 minutes before) which Mora didn't like per Mora's own words. This cost us in my opinion at least 1 Superbowl if not more. We lost Marshall being 3 minutes late to a meeting. They should of fired Mora and kept Marshall. I was in disbelief.

:ninja:

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He was no ED or EJ(who replaces him)

Dickerson was the best RB we ever had, stats wise it was James though. I have Dickerson in my top 5 RB's of all-time only behind:

1. Jim Brown

2. W.Payton

3. E.Smith - all time leading rusher, has to be top 3

4. Barry Sanders - behind Smith because he quit like Luck did.

The Dick is #5, that is my list. Tony Dorsett was better than Faulk IMO. Faulk is in my top 10 though. Faulk was great but not top 5 ever at least IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

In same show Peyton said Faulk help him so much in his rookie season reading coverages and helped him so much for his carrier. Peyton said he was the smartest back he ever played with. Kurt Warner said the same thing.

Too bad he wasn't there to tough it out in 1995 to help Harbaugh. If he plays in the 1995 playoffs we win the SB but he didn't. He played 1 play and all of us Colts fans were trying to figure out where he was after that. He had a great run and then didn't play again. I liked Faulk but I never looked at him as being as great Dickerson for example. Dickerson could take over a game by himself.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dickerson was the best RB we ever had, stats wise it was James though. I have Dickerson in my top 5 RB's of all-time only behind:

1. Jim Brown

2. W.Payton

The Dick is #5, that is my list. Tony Dorsett was better than Faulk IMO. Faulk is in my top 10 though. Faulk was great but not top 5 ever at least IMO. 

I have Emmit somewhere around #5-#7.   

No particular order:

Brown

Sanders

Payton

Tomlison

Smith

Dickerson

Simpson

Peterson

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I have Emmit somewhere around #5-#7.   

No particular order:

Brown

Sanders

Payton

Tomlison

Smith

Dickerson

Simpson

Peterson

Pretty good list but Nah to Tomlison. He didn't have the toughness that Emmitt had, not near the longevity or yards either. Also I truly believe without Emmitt the Cowboys may have not won 1 SB. The year he sat out for 2 games (1993), the Cowboys looked bad and started 0-2. As talented as that team was, without Emmitt the machine would not have ran right. LT is probably in my top 10 though.

I can buy Barry Sanders being ranked higher but then again I really don't care for quitters. Like with Luck, I think Luck was very good if not great but when he quit it was really disappointing. 

To the topic, Faulk is in my top 10 but not top 5.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pretty good list but Nah to Tomlison. He didn't have the toughness that Emmitt had, not near the longevity or yards either. Also I truly believe without Emmitt the Cowboys may have not won 1 SB. The year he sat out for 2 games (1993), the Cowboys looked bad and started 0-2. As talented as that team was, without Emmitt the machine would not have ran right. LT is probably in my top 10 though.

I can buy Barry Sanders being ranked higher but then again I really don't care for quitters. Like with Luck, I think Luck was very good if not great but when he quit it was really disappointing. 

To the topic, Faulk is in my top 10 but not top 5.

Sanders "quitting" was more about the Lions and rightfully so.   

On 4/19/2020 at 7:24 PM, Bert Johns said:

Marshall left after the 1998 season.  We drafted Edge.  Edge was a very comparable back to Marshall, with Marshall being in an offense that used the RB in the passing game a bit more.  Edge was a better blocker than Marshall, as well.

He lead the league in rushing in 1999 (1,553 yards) and also had 13 TDs, with 62 receptions for 586 yards with 4 TDs (a total of 2,139 yards from scrimmage, less than Marshall) .  In 2000, he lead the league in rushing with 1,709 yards, 13 TDS, with 63 receptions for 594 yards with 5 TDs (a total of 2,303 yards from scrimmage, more than Marshall).

They were two different backs, but IMO, they were the two best overall backs in the NFL is 1999-2000 before Edge got hurt.  Edge produced more rushing yards and was a better pass blocker, while Marshall got more receptions and more receiving yards in a different offensive scheme.

I know Peyton was grateful for Marshall, and said he was the 'smartest' back he played with... but he also said Edge was the best teammate he ever had.  

Also, around that time, it was said Marshall would come to training camp overweight and out of shape.  Mora was a strict disciplinarian... and that was >20 years ago, in a different time.  Mora wasn't going to let a star player show up late to meetings, come to camp out of shape, etc. that's not how things were run back then.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:07 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

He was no ED or EJ(who replaces him)

Had EJ not gotten hurt in year 3, I think he would have went down in NFL history as a top 5 back.  What set Marshall apart (statistics wise) was the offense he played on with Warner and 'The Greatest Show on Turf' was that he had 5 straight years with 80+ receptions as an RB.  Edge, however, was a very competent receiving threat, a better blocker and a more productive runner.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:38 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

James was an equal replacement. Polian did ok.

I remember being so mad when we took Edge over Ricky Williams.  I was actually not too thrilled we took Peyton over Leaf the year before (I was 12, forgive me)... but in hindsight, Polian made two very smart moves to set this franchise up for a lot of success.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:05 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Turf Toe lol. He was disappointing in 1995 as well. Great talent but soft. Dickerson was better.

Judging by your comment, I’m guessing you’ve never herd players describe “turf tie” as one of the most painful injuries they can suffer.   

“Like stepping on broken glass” is what I’ve read players destining the injury.

Honestly, not kidding.    It’s seriously painful.   Players hate it.   Nothing “soft” about it. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Judging by your comment, I’m guessing you’ve never herd players describe “turf tie” as one of the most painful injuries they can suffer.   

“Like stepping on broken glass” is what I’ve read players destining the injury.

Honestly, not kidding.    It’s seriously painful.   Players hate it.   Nothing “soft” about it. 

Turf Toe is painful but I have seen Emmitt Smith play with turf toe in games and a dislocated shoulder at Giants with HFA on the line and still dominate. When I used the word "soft" that is me comparing him to the other all-time greats is all. Faulk was a great RB and well deserved HOFamer but to me he barely makes my all-time top 10 list. 

I followed the Colts close back then like I always have, he just seemed to be injured at the worse times. The 1995 playoffs was one of them. As far as all-time RB's, I liked Dickerson much better.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Turf Toe is painful but I have seen Emmitt Smith play with turf toe in games and a dislocated shoulder at Giants with HFA on the line and still dominate. When I used the word "soft" that is me comparing him to the other all-time greats is all. Faulk was a great RB and well deserved HOFamer but to me he barely makes my all-time top 10 list. 

I followed the Colts close back then like I always have, he just seemed to be injured at the worse times. The 1995 playoffs was one of them. As far as all-time RB's, I liked Dickerson much better.

I loved ED...  remember, he was a Ram first.   I covered Eric.   But look up both players.    They have roughly the same amount of rushing yards in roughly the same amount of years.   But look at the receiving years.   Faulk has about three times the number of receiving yards.   He could do so much more.  

As for turf toe.  I’m not going to call somebody soft because you’re comparing him to a player who was legendary for his incredibly high pain threshold.   Being not as tough as Emmitt Smith is not a knock in my book.   Almost no one was.  

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I loved ED...  remember, he was a Ram first.   I covered Eric.   But look up both players.    They have roughly the same amount of rushing yards in roughly the same amount of years.   But look at the receiving years.   Faulk has about three times the number of receiving yards.   He could do so much more.  

As for turf toe.  I’m not going to call somebody soft because you’re comparing him to a player who was legendary for his incredibly high pain threshold.   Being not as tough as Emmitt Smith is not a knock in my book.   Almost no one was.  

Yeah Emmitt was a beast no doubt. Faulk was very fortunate to play with Peyton Manning and then the Rams who loved passing the ball at a high rate. Kurt Warner wasn't Peyton Manning but he is a HOFamer and was great. Dickerson played with some the worst QB's ever haha . With the Rams and Colts, Dickerson was the offense. Teams solely keyed on Dickerson and he still was unstoppable. 

On 4/19/2020 at 8:20 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Jim Brown

2. W.Payton

Disagree with Smith. He is not even in my top 10

On 4/19/2020 at 10:39 PM, Bert Johns said:

In same show Peyton said Faulk help him so much in his rookie season reading coverages and helped him so much for his carrier. Peyton said he was the smartest back he ever played with. Kurt Warner said the same thing.

Funny how fans are quick to say that Edge did okay but I can't help but think how 99' would've been with Faulk as our RB?  Faulk was ALLPRO and the Rams would've NEVER had their succes without him.  IMO, this was the first mistake by the Great Bill Polian as the Colts never made it to a SB with James as our RB.   Just saying, FAULK was a GAMECHANGER!

On 4/19/2020 at 10:20 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Jim Brown

2. W.Payton

Anyone offering an opinion to this thread could of racked up 800 yds behind that line Dallas had when Smith was there. Here's the ball, now run through that hole that you could drive a truck through. Pretty easy.

Barry is the greatest. Watching documentaries on him I'm convinced he didn't feel he was worthy of breaking W. Payton's record. That along with being on the Lions are good enough reasons to walk away from football. At least he respected the game.

Also, his father never thought he was good enough. I think he said at his hall of fame speech let me introduce you to the  3rd (might of said second) greatest RB of all time.  

Jim Brown walked away from football as well.

I think Barry is the greatest of all time but wouldn't blink if there could be 2 #1's, Walter would be right there with him. Being great is not just about numbers,.

Archived