Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Logan Ryan or Jimmy Smith

What do you folks think of getting some  vet guys on short deals like Jimmy Smith (former Raven) or Logan Ryan (former Titans)?

I feel they still can be productive for us with their experience.

Mods: Move to free agency forum, thanks :) 

2 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I like Both!

Me too. Jimmy Smith, when he is in the line up, is very physical and improves any secondary as a unit. Logan Ryan, however, is like the Tyrann Mathieu kind right now, that can transition to the safety role and shepherd a secondary with experience getting everyone lined up right. I think he would do very well in that role, IMO.

I think Logan Ryan would be a huge upgrade for our secondary. He's only 28 yrs old, started all 16 games last season and ended up with 4 ints, 18 pass breakups, 4.5 sacks, 113 total tackles and 8 QB hits. Those are elite numbers. If I was Ballard I'd be trying my best to get him signed to a 2 or 3 yr deal. 

1 hour ago, rayski said:

CB likes speed on our turf and I don't think these two guys deliver that. I'd love to see Ryan's experience w us tho

Logan Ryan is better suited for a zone CB than a press CB. When the Titans went press, when the pressure got to Mahomes, they were fine. But once plays broke down and Mahomes broke containment, there is only so long Logan Ryan could keep pace with speedsters. However, broken plays are not what you can judge him by. Most CBs will look bad if the DL cannot get there and containment is broken by the QB.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Logan Ryan is better suited for a zone CB than a press CB. When the Titans went press, when the pressure got to Mahomes, they were fine. But once plays broke down and Mahomes broke containment, there is only so long Logan Ryan could keep pace with speedsters. However, broken plays are not what you can judge him by. Most CBs will look bad if the DL cannot get there and containment is broken by the QB.

I get that, I just pointed out as a reason why I don't see us signing him. 

9 minutes ago, rayski said:

I get that, I just pointed out as a reason why I don't see us signing him. 

Logan Ryan is just as quick as Quincy Wilson, IMO, and being in the right spot is a head start that vets have that young guns do not have.

A lot of times, the young ones are playing catch up in recovery and Quincy doesn't have the speed for recovery once he gets beat, so he grabs and gets penalties, happens with a lot of young CBs. Ballard is probably waiting on his price to come down, IMO and like most, I feel he'd be a great addition to our secondary.

7 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

It wouldn't hurt to take a flier on Xavier Rhodes. Sometimes a change of scenery can help a player be great again. 

Rhodes was my favorite in that draft and despite the down year or so, I'd give him a 1 year prove-it deal.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, chad72 said:

What do you folks think of getting some  vet guys on short deals like Jimmy Smith (former Raven) or Logan Ryan (former Titans)?

I feel they still can be productive for us with their experience.

Mods: Move to free agency forum, thanks :) 

I will be shocked if we add anyone that costs more than $5M because of our cap situation.

Archived