Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those concerned about Love and reading defenses

Can we please stop these comparisons for Love with Mahomes. You have so many cases where guys with so much talent don’t learn to read the defenses, but since Mahomes did it now so will everyone else. I hope Love pans out, but you will not find another Mahomes ever or at least for a good long while

15 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Can we please stop these comparisons for Love with Mahomes. You have so many cases where guys with so much talent don’t learn to read the defenses, but since Mahomes did it now so will everyone else. I hope Love pans out, but you will not find another Mahomes ever or at least for a good long while

I wasn’t comparing them. I was trying to make a point that a college QB can learn to read defenses after they get to the nfl. Even the best didn’t know how to read a defense. There has been a lot people concerned he is a one read QB and can’t read a defense. It can be learned.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I wasn’t comparing them. I was trying to make a point that a college QB can learn to read defenses after they get to the nfl. Even the best didn’t know how to read a defense. There has been a lot people concerned he is a one read QB and can’t read a defense. It can be learned.

That is true I suppose. I’m just fed up with the comparisons to Mahomes, like he’s a surefire prospect. Heck, look at Mahomes draft profile, and his comparison was Jay Cutler. Mahomes far outperformed that, but not many ever do

55 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I've made that comparison in certain aspects but I kind of agree here. At some point we have to go past that comparison and let the kid succeed or fail on his own terms. Comparisons are fun and useful when introducing a player for first time to get better idea about his style of play, but I don't love continuing to try to force him into the Mahomes path. He has his own path that he needs to take.

Yes there are things Love does similarly, but the things that made Mahomes what he is are the things we have no idea whether Love has or not - his smarts, his determination and drive to work tirelessly on his weaknesses, his competitiveness, his 'gamer' attitude and demeanor...

Love can have all the talent in the world but if he doesn't have the drive and attitude to keep improving, he will fail simply because for as talented as he is, he still has a ton of things that need fixing.

33 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

That is true I suppose. I’m just fed up with the comparisons to Mahomes, like he’s a surefire prospect. Heck, look at Mahomes draft profile, and his comparison was Jay Cutler. Mahomes far outperformed that, but not many ever do

Most compare him to Mahomes because 1) both can throw from non-traditional angles, 2) can scramble, 3) somewhat products of system, and 4) both were/are not respected all that much leading up to the draft and neither considered sure fire.... 

And it's the talking heads that are typically making the comparison, so not sure why folks have a problem with it. It's not sacrilegious or anything. Ya think people got mad when they compared Mahomes to Cutler? lol.. Comparisons happen every year and will continue to. 

Umh... I didn't know where to post this but... decided this fits in here nicely... So Greg Cosell was on The Herd this week and after he gave his opinions on some RBs/ WRs, etc he finishes his appearances on The Herd analyzing a play. They call that segment "play of the week". This week it was a Jordan Love play.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the original video of The Herd show on 5th of March(if anyone can find it, it will be great to watch the play as Cosell explains what's happening(they might have better tape than what I can provide too)). But anyways... 

This is the audio of Cosell explaining what's happening on the play (starts talking about Love at 56:30 - he likes him a lot, and he starts talking about "the play of the week" at 58:12):

I am not 100% sure this is the play he's analyzing but it looks to me like it is(go to 0:45):

There isn't a great full field tape of this one, I have no idea if they had the all 22 tape on that Herd segment(I would assume they did). 

But anyways... this is an example of Love making advanced reads within the timing of the play. The defense tries to fool him by changing their coverage post snap, but he reads it, eliminates the initial read in the progression and isolates the correct secondary read for the big play downfield. Cosell explains it much better and in more detail, listen and try to sync it to the video of the play. 

This is the type of plays that make me believe Love can be a successful NFL QB and not just a wild gunslinger. He actually has flashes of great AND timely progression and shifting coverage reads. He just needs better discipline, coaching and experience. 

Probably doesn’t matter by now with Love’s drug addiction habits he probably has been removed from our draft board.  From HS to college and the kids can’t keep his nose clean but sad to see so many on the Love train.

That is why folks continue to insist Patriots cheated to know defensive signals because Brady wasn’t nearly half the QB he is now then when they won their first 3 SBs!!! It just takes time for any new QB stepping in against playoff Ds, especially if there’s no sandlot element to your game.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:49 PM, WarGhost21 said:

There are a lot of similarities to their draft profiles though. I dont think anyone compares the two because they expect the same outcome. But they really do have a lot in common. Similar projections, similar traits, similar style. How Love evolves is up to him and how he is coached up. But its not hard to see how he compares, IMO.

2 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Probably doesn’t matter by now with Love’s drug addiction habits he probably has been removed from our draft board.  From HS to college and the kids can’t keep his nose clean but sad to see so many on the Love train.

Seems like you're making insane assumptions. No, not "seems," you are make huge assumptions. Red flag? Yes. Drug addiction? You need to write a thesis to convince anyone for that.

4 hours ago, OhioColt said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Here's another breakdown of Love and him going through progressions, manipulating safeties and linebackers with his eyes, making reads, throwing with timing and anticipation... there are also some negatives explored in this video...

Not concerned about it at all... All this Love talk started a few months ago because someone saw Ballard at a game... Tua... I would be interested in the discussion... Love (QB4) I find it one of the biggest round 1 waste of time discussions in the history of this forum.  Happy to eat crow with a side of humble pie If I’m wrong... but after listening to Ballards End of year...(January) and 2-3 (Feb-Mar) other interviews. JB is the guy... might create competition with a middle round or FA guy... but JB is the guy. Just my opinion... Love = Kapernick/Osweiler/Lynch...etc. 

1 hour ago, FalseStart said:

Not concerned about it at all... All this Love talk started a few months ago because someone saw Ballard at a game... 

Fandom makes a lot of people draw conclusions and assumptions. 

I am sure Ballard and the whole drafting crew watches a lot more film than what they could see in a live game. 

1 hour ago, FalseStart said:

Not concerned about it at all... All this Love talk started a few months ago because someone saw Ballard at a game... Tua... I would be interested in the discussion... Love (QB4) I find it one of the biggest round 1 waste of time discussions in the history of this forum.  Happy to eat crow with a side of humble pie If I’m wrong... but after listening to Ballards End of year...(January) and 2-3 (Feb-Mar) other interviews. JB is the guy... might create competition with a middle round or FA guy... but JB is the guy. Just my opinion... Love = Kapernick/Osweiler/Lynch...etc. 

The only reason that happened is because nobody knew who he was. We have our own minds. Ballard being connected to watching him only. put him on colt fans radar. We have our own minds can decide for ourselves. 

Archived