Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

happy birthday Bob Sanders

CurBeatElite

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep at night, he checks his closet for Bob Sanders. I know corny but funny. Hard to believe he is only 39, still a young fella. He was injured a lot but belongs in the Ring of Honor. DPOY in 2007 and SB Champ in 2006 being one of the main reasons why we won.

It's really sad how short his stay with us was. He was a cornerstone type player if he had stayed healthy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'd put him as the best safety in the league when fully healthy.  If he could have enjoyed an injury-free career, we'd be talking about one of the greatest defensive players ever and a surefire Hall of Famer

He's only one of 5 safeties to ever be named NFL Defensive Player of the Year.  Most recently it was Palomalu (2010), before that it was Sanders (2007), Ed Reed (2004), Kenny Easley (1984 Seahawks), and Dick Anderson (1973 Dolphins).  That's pretty impressive, if you ask me.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

He's only one of 5 safeties to ever be named NFL Defensive Player of the Year.  Most recently it was Palomalu (2010), before that it was Sanders (2007), Ed Reed (2004), Kenny Easley (1984 Seahawks), and Dick Anderson (1973 Dolphins).  That's pretty impressive, if you ask me.

If I recall correctly, there was a time period where he was the only safety between him, Reed, and Polamalu to have a DPOY and Super Bowl championship on his resume.

Bob Sanders: Super Bowl in 2006, DPOY in 2007

Ed Reed: DPOY in 2004, Super Bowl in 2011

Troy Polamalu: 1st Super Bowl in 2004, DPOY in 2010

So from 2007 to 2010, Sanders was the only safety of the three to have a DPOY and Super Bowl ring.  He was also the last one drafted of the three.  He played more than 6 games twice in his career and was first team All-Pro both times.  When healthy, no one could match what he brought to a defense.

This is a very arbitrary stat, but if you take the best individual titles they could have won (DPOY titles + first team All-Pro selections) and divide it by number of games played, the stats are:

Reed: (5+1)/174 = 0.034

Polamalu: (4+1)/158 = 0.032

Sanders: (2+1)/50 = 0.06

14 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If I recall correctly, there was a time period where he was the only safety between him, Reed, and Polamalu to have a DPOY and Super Bowl championship on his resume.

Dick Anderson won DPOY in 1973 and won SB VII & VIII w/ Miami.  Kenny Easley is the only other S to ever win a DPOY and I don't think his Seahawks team of the mid-80s ever won a SB.