Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New DT Enters The Draft!!

Had no idea who he was until I heard the Stick to Football guys get excited about him. James Lynch from Baylor. They expected him to return to school. Plays inside and out but is seen as a DT at the next level. Thought this would be interesting to some considering DT is a need that’s discussed often:. lines up inside and outside too.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Had no idea who he was until I heard the Stick to Football guys get excited about him. James Lynch from Baylor. They expected him to return to school. Plays inside and out but is seen as a DT at the next level. Thought this would be interesting to some considering DT is a need that’s discussed often:. lines up inside and outside too.

He's been playing more 3-4 DE, but he's athletic enough to play anywhere on a 4-3 line. Lynch really is a great player.

If we picked up Javon Hargrave from the Steelers, drafted Lynch, and brought in Brentson Buckner as the D-line coach I think we could run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 like the 49ers.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/james-lynch-3.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoColts00 said:

He's been playing more 3-4 DE, but he's athletic enough to play anywhere on a 4-3 line. Lynch really is a great player.

If we picked up Javon Hargrave from the Steelers, drafted Lynch, and brought in Brentson Buckner as the D-line coach I think we could run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 like the 49ers.

I blinked when I saw those junior year numbers. 19.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks? That’s insane production.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I blinked when I saw those junior year numbers. 19.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks? That’s insane production.

Underrated part - 5 tipped passes. There are some odd correlation studies that suggest PDs/tipped balls at the LOS by DLs in college translate into good production in the pros. 

• Like 5

He seems to me to maybe one of those guys who is a classic overachiever in college but struggles in the NFL due to limitations or "tweener" status.  I'm leery of guys who don't seem to have a great fit at any NFL DL position.   Tyquan Lewis ring a bell?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

Are we even rumored to be looking at Buckner? 

54 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He seems to me to maybe one of those guys who is a classic overachiever in college but struggles in the NFL due to limitations or "tweener" status.  I'm leery of guys who don't seem to have a great fit at any NFL DL position.   Tyquan Lewis ring a bell?

I don't know much about him, what makes you think he's an over achiever or tweener?

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't know much about him, what makes you think he's an over achiever or tweener?

Wonder if this kid has the frame to add another 15 pounds of meat and muscle without losing his speed or twitch? I’d also want to know, what teams are these stats against? I know little about this team. 

4 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Wonder if this kid has the frame to add another 15 pounds of meat and muscle without losing his speed or twitch? I’d also want to know, what teams are these stats against? I know little about this team. 

Well he plays in the Big 12. Some of the highlights you see in the video are against teams like Texas and Oklahoma. Oklahoma regularly puts OL into the NFL too, (Lane Johnson, Cody Ford, Orlando Brown, etc...) and Creed Humphrey had 1st round buzz before going back to school.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I don’t think he needs to add much more weight, he’s sitting at 295 right now. Thats more than a good few DTs in the league now, including one Aaron Donald. Otherwise, his stats are against pretty good offensive lines such as Oklahoma

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

He's already at 295 which is a good size for a 3 tech.

Also if you click on the link provided by @GoColts00 you can view his game logs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The problems of Tyquan Lewis are injury related and not related to position.   He hasn’t been healthy long enough to establish a comfort level at any position.   

Let’s not create problems for a player that he doesn’t have. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

You can’t let the failure of one player with a similar play style scare you away from another. Should we downplay Isaiah Simmons because of the failures of Jabril Peppers and Hassan Reddick?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

But.. Lewis does have a position, and no he wasn't a "tweener". He played 99% of his snaps on the strong side of Ohio States defense, broke a few Big10/Ohio State records, and was pretty good. I still have yet to understand why this Colts staff wanted to add weight to him and shove him in a position he played less than 1% at in college. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

But.. Lewis does have a position, and no he wasn't a "tweener". He played 99% of his snaps on the strong side of Ohio States defense, broke a few Big10/Ohio State records, and was pretty good. I still have yet to understand why this Colts staff wanted to add weight to him and shove him in a position he played less than 1% at in college. 

Agreed. I’ve said from the jump that I thought that there was no future for Tyquan Lewis at DT. Funny thing is that this is the 2nd time this has happened. They also tried to make TJ Green (who granted just wasn’t good at football in general) a corner. He couldn’t cover as a safety so for some reason they decided to take an already raw prospect and stick him at a position even harder than the one he struggled at. 

Seems Ballard is learning from his mistakes though. He talked about playing Banogu at SAM at first but realized that was a bad idea. He also took a “project” player in the appropriate round with Tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Sorry.  Despite where he played in college, he never had the bend or twitch to play edge in the NFL.

That's why Ballard thought of him as an interior player. 

Not athletic enough to be an EDGE, too light to be a 3T.  Lewis is the perfect example of a tweener, a good college player who doesn't have a good fit in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He seems like a smallish DT, but maybe he isn't.  I'll have to see how he measures and tests at the combine.  He may be able to get by in the Big 12 because of motor, but he needs a basic level of size, speed, strength, and agility to be a factor in the NFL.  Can't say for sure until the combine.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. I’ve said from the jump that I thought that there was no future for Tyquan Lewis at DT. Funny thing is that this is the 2nd time this has happened. They also tried to make TJ Green (who granted just wasn’t good at football in general) a corner. He couldn’t cover as a safety so for some reason they decided to take an already raw prospect and stick him at a position even harder than the one he struggled at. 

Seems Ballard is learning from his mistakes though. He talked about playing Banogu at SAM at first but realized that was a bad idea. He also took a “project” player in the appropriate round with Tell.

TJ Green was NOT Ballard’s mistake.   He didn’t draft him.   Experimenting with him at a new position was trying to make the best of a bad situation. 

And I doubt Ballard would agree with your view of Lewis.  I’m sorry CB didn’t consult you before drafting Tyquan.  

Then you contradicted yourself as you like to do.  Saying he learned from his mistakes pointing to Tell being taken in R5.   But in the same paragraph you fail to note that Benagu was taken in R2.  So Ballard drafted a project with a mid-2nd round puck.  You only noted that they stopped the BB experiment early.  

You're all over the map and don’t even know it. 

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m very optimistic because of the level of competition he played against was really “Elite”

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

He seems like a smallish DT, but maybe he isn't.  I'll have to see how he measures and tests at the combine.  He may be able to get by in the Big 12 because of motor, but he needs a basic level of size, speed, strength, and agility to be a factor in the NFL.  Can't say for sure until the combine.

Maybe.  Everyting I've seen is he is around 6'3 295lbs and since most that I've seen seem to think he has a first/early second round grade, it seems he has that basic level of size, speed, strength and agility for the NFL.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

TJ Green was NOT Ballard’s mistake.   He didn’t draft him.   Experimenting with him at a new position was trying to make the best of a bad situation. 

And I doubt Ballard would agree with your view of Lewis.  I’m sorry CB didn’t consult you before drafting Tyquan.  

Then you contradicted yourself as you like to do.  Saying he learned from his mistakes pointing to Tell being taken in R5.   But in the same paragraph you fail to note that Benagu was taken in R2.  So Ballard drafted a project with a mid-2nd round puck.  You only noted that they stopped the BB experiment early.  

You're all over the map and don’t even know it. 

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!  Lets all play nice! Remember, no bashing! :applause:

6 hours ago, lincolndefan said:

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!  Lets all play nice! Remember, no bashing! :applause:

Sorry...   I get that way when posters comment about not liking pucks and wonder what the staff was thinking when they made their decision.   They act like they kniw more than the staff.

This poster has a long history of such things...    sorry you were bothered..,

22 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Maybe.  Everyting I've seen is he is around 6'3 295lbs and since most that I've seen seem to think he has a first/early second round grade, it seems he has that basic level of size, speed, strength and agility for the NFL.

Yeah, I don't know if those pundits are looking at motor and production or if they are basing that grade by knowing his three cone speed and arm length.  But at 295, he certainly wouldn't be a tweener  because he's too heavy and therefore probably  too slow for a DE.  Its just a matter if he has the length and twitch to get off the ball quickly as a 3T.  He seems to have other traits and intangibles though.