Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Okereke

Scott Pennock

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

As we watch Walker being a step behind play after play.
 Okereke has what it takes to beat out Walker.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Oke only got 19 snaps. And those 19 were a mix of SAM and passing down MIKE/MLB. I think Walker is pretty safe. Oke's snap counts have decreased every week the last 3 weeks.

39 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I'm not sold on Walker as the long-term answer there for an elite defense.

Between Walker, Speed, Okereke I dont think we are bypassing all those guys to pay a free agent MLB.  He didnt draft all that depth behind Walker to then go out and pay a FA to be the starter. I think its more likely we find his replacement from within before we went that route. Thats assuming we replace him at all. Good ball player to me. Although i do like Bobby O quite a bit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I'm not sold on Walker as the long-term answer there for an elite defense.

He didnt say he wanted to buy an elite defense. He said he wanted to build one from within. You get elite play from guys playing together under the same systems for years and being on the same page

• Like 1

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Between Walker, Speed, Okereke I dont think we are bypassing all those guys to pay a free agent MLB.  He didnt draft all that depth behind Walker to then go out and pay a FA to be the starter. I think its more likely we find his replacement from within before we went that route. Thats assuming we replace him at all. Good ball player to me. Although i do like Bobby O quite a bit.

I wouldn't say they were all drafted behind Walker.

Speed - is a project, and a lot closer to WILL than MLB. Sure he cold beef up and grow into an MLB, but he's an OLB now. He comes from a small school which likely didn't have a great S&C program, so it's not out of the question he could beef up. But that's definitely "project" type stuff. IMO, he'll stay behind Leonard as he has great athleticism. 

Okereke - He's the only one they drafted at MLB/MIKE. And he's been a major liability in the run game. The fact they have started playing him more at SAM tells you he's not likely the long term answer at MLB. He, unlike Speed, comes from a school that had a great S&C program, so it's likely his strength/size is topped out. Unless he can improve his base, he'll continue to get swallowed up on the run.

Adams and Franklin - We don't use SAM all that much to begin with, and Oke stealing snaps is probably not great news for Franklin. Both guys (Adam/Franklin) are very late round, and more special teams type of guys than starters anyway. 

In short, assuming Oke's trend of SAM snaps continue, it's likely Adams is gone next year. If that's the case, there's an opening at MLB/MIKE. I love Walker, but he does struggle in coverage at times. Not as bad as Oke struggles vs the run, but still not perfect. LBs, and more specifically MLBs are one of the most devalued positions in the league, so not out of the question to go after one in FA. Personally I prefer going after devalued position in FA, and spend the draft picks on higher $ positions to maximize the cheap rookie years. Also keep in mind that LB depth is critical in special teams play.

32 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Dude's got some wheels! Plus you have to be smart to be at Stanford. 

giphy.gif

• First generation American
• Performed in Carnegie Hall with high school choir
• Eagle Scout
• Earned undergraduate degree in management, science and engineering
• Earning master's degree in media studies

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

In short, assuming Oke's trend of SAM snaps continue, it's likely Adams is gone next year. If that's the case, there's an opening at MLB/MIKE. I love Walker, but he does struggle in coverage at times. Not as bad as Oke struggles vs the run, but still not perfect. LBs, and more specifically MLBs are one of the most devalued positions in the league, so not out of the question to go after one in FA. Personally I prefer going after devalued position in FA, and spend the draft picks on higher $ positions to maximize the cheap rookie years. Also keep in mind that LB depth is critical in special teams play.

Exactly - find a defensive tackle and offensive tackle/guard with the first two picks and sign the best middle linebacker out there and our defense gets a lot better.

3 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Exactly - find a defensive tackle and offensive tackle/guard with the first two picks and sign the best middle linebacker out there and our defense gets a lot better.

Outside of the wildcard question at QB, DT is my number one in the draft right now (was last year too). I could go T or G in the second with one of the 2 round picks without a doubt. I'm not opposed to going ILB for the right guy with one of the 2nd round picks, or 3rd if we can't find someone in FA, but I'd prefer DE if I'm being honest.

Looking more and more like we're going to pick very early in the second with Washington's pick. I just hope we don't trade down this year with either early pick. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't say they were all drafted behind Walker.

Speed - is a project, and a lot closer to WILL than MLB. Sure he cold beef up and grow into an MLB, but he's an OLB now. He comes from a small school which likely didn't have a great S&C program, so it's not out of the question he could beef up. But that's definitely "project" type stuff. IMO, he'll stay behind Leonard as he has great athleticism. 

Okereke - He's the only one they drafted at MLB/MIKE. And he's been a major liability in the run game. The fact they have started playing him more at SAM tells you he's not likely the long term answer at MLB. He, unlike Speed, comes from a school that had a great S&C program, so it's likely his strength/size is topped out. Unless he can improve his base, he'll continue to get swallowed up on the run.

Adams and Franklin - We don't use SAM all that much to begin with, and Oke stealing snaps is probably not great news for Franklin. Both guys (Adam/Franklin) are very late round, and more special teams type of guys than starters anyway. 

I think Speed can do either thing and id project that he will be much less of a project by next year. Hes an NFL player now, he made an NFL ball club. They like him so much they havent even attempted to put him on the PS like you would normally see with a real project player. Hes built just like those big Dallas LB.  I could certainly see him as a candidate at MLB next year. Anthony Walker hasnt really done anything to lose his spot anyway so i still dont see the need to pay an FA big dollars to come in as the starter. As for Okereke i havent seen us play him anywhere but MLB and sometimes at SAM. When the opportunity arose for him to play Will they played Ant Walker there.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think Speed can do either thing and id project that he will be much less of a project by next year. Hes an NFL player now, he made an NFL ball club. They like him so much they havent even attempted to put him on the PS like you would normally see with a real project player. Hes built just like those big Dallas LB.  I could certainly see him as a candidate at MLB next year. Anthony Walker hasnt really done anything to lose his spot anyway so i still dont see the need to pay an FA big dollars to come in as the starter. As for Okereke i havent seen us play him anywhere but MLB and sometimes at SAM. When the opportunity arose for him to play Will they played Ant Walker there.

I really do like Speed, but he is absolutely a project. He was a QB turned WR turned OLB. And he'd be a much bigger project at MLB than WILL or SAM. He's long and rangy (6-4/225) and seriously needs to work on building strength. That's not a great recipe for MLB. If he's a gym rat, then maybe, but he's got a long way to go.

He's only played in 3 games on D (33 snaps total), and only had one game with more than 3 snaps (played because of injury).

On Oke, I found it interesting that they played Walker at WILL when Leonard went down. Goes to show you their lack of trust in both Speed and Oke in two different ways.

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I really do like Speed, but he is absolutely a project. He was a QB turned WR turned OLB. And he'd be a much bigger project at MLB than WILL or SAM. He's long and rangy (6-4/225) and seriously needs to work on building strength. That's not a great recipe for MLB. If he's a gym rat, then maybe, but he's got a long way to go.

He's only played in 3 games on D (33 snaps total), and only had one game with more than 3 snaps (played because of injury).

On Oke, I found it interesting that they played Walker at WILL when Leonard went down. Goes to show you their lack of trust in both Speed and Oke in two different ways.

I don't think they didn't trust Okereke.  I think they wanted to play him where they said they would play him and that is at the Mike.  Maybe they didn't trust Speed to play the Will that is possible.  I think Speed needs some work in coverage from some of the coverage snaps I saw from him.  That's not surprising considering he comes from a very small school and it's year 1. I'm just projecting into what these players may be in terms of their development in year 2.  I don't think you'll be able to say Speed is a project in year 2 of this thing.  I think he's doing something right if they haven't cut him yet or put him on the PS. 

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think they didn't trust Okereke.  I think they wanted to play him where they said they would play him and that is at the Mike.  Maybe they didn't trust Speed to play the Will that is possible.  I think Speed needs some work in coverage from some of the coverage snaps I saw from him.  That's not surprising considering he comes from a very small school and it's year 1. I'm just projecting into what these players may be in terms of their development in year 2.  I don't think you'll be able to say Speed is a project in year 2 of this thing.  I think he's doing something right if they haven't cut him yet or put him on the PS. 

Our LB depth has been plain horrible prior to the this year (and before), so it shouldn't surprise anyone that rooks are sticking to the 53 man roster. Not saying Speed won't improve next year, but he's not getting a lot of action/experience. Hopefully he's hitting the weights hard. 

On Oke, Reich said prior to that game, that Oke could play any of the positions. It was just surprising they played Walker out of position. Tells me they were worried Oke couldn't handle WILL. And also that Speed just wasn't ready.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Our LB depth has been plain horrible prior to the this year (and before), so it shouldn't surprise anyone that rooks are sticking to the 53 man roster. Not saying Speed won't improve next year, but he's not getting a lot of action/experience. Hopefully he's hitting the weights hard. 

On Oke, Reich said prior to that game, that Oke could play any of the positions. It was just surprising they played Walker out of position. Tells me they were worried Oke couldn't handle WILL. And also that Speed just wasn't ready.

Prior to this year the depth was horrible..  The depth this year is sufficient so I think it is a decent indicator that they like what he's doing on the inside if they haven't cut him entirely or placed him on the PS with all the injuries we've had. . 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Prior to this year the depth was horrible..  The depth this year is sufficient so I think it is a decent indicator that they like what he's doing on the inside if they haven't cut him entirely or placed him on the PS with all the injuries we've had. . 

The only one I think might get cut is Franklin. No reason to keep him if Oke is going to steal SAM snaps. And like I said, if that happens, they'll have a open spot if they intend to keep 6 LBs on the roster. If that happened, I'd bet they'd look for another MLB.

1 hour ago, K-148 said:

Fans here like to dwell on what Oke can't do (NOW), to their liking, and say he isn't going to replace Walker against the run.
 Bolderdash! Walker is at best ok/middling. He is Never going to run faster.
Let's hope Oke turns out to be considerably better as a 3 down player.
There is nothing holding him back from doing so.