Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Possibilities for Colts before Deadline

I'm looking at trade options to improve the Colts on their possible deep playoff run they could be in for if they keep improving. I'm primarily looking at horrible teams looking to stockpile draft picks/young players for their future.

Washington Redskins - DE Ryan Kerrigan

Kerrigan could hopefully be had for a 4/5th round pick being that he is 31 years old. He still is a very talented pass rusher, with 13 sacks last season. He would fit perfectly at DE to rotate with Sheard, Houston, and Muhammed. Banogu still needs developing. He would add to the pass rush to get after AFC QBs in the playoffs i.e. Tom Brady.

Denver Broncos - DE/OLB Von Miller

I think this one is less likely since I believe he fits better in a 3-4. Plus he would cost us a higher draft pick which Ballard might not be willing to part with. I think Kerrigan is the better move personally. 

Miami Dolphins - CB Xavien Howard

Pretty much the only Dolphin player I would want. He would be costly though since he is one of the better CBs in the league and is still only 26. We could package Quincy Wilson back to them in the deal though. He played at Florida so he may like going back home. 

Atlanta Falcons - DE Takk McKinley

Would be a great speed rush addition with the loss of Turay. He might cost a bit since he is young and was their recent 1st round pick.

New York Jets - DT Leonard Williams

I'm not as high on making a deal for Williams, unless it was for a lower pick, say 4/5th round.

Cincinnati  Bengals - DT Carlos Dunlap

He is 30 years old, so he hopefully shouldn't cost too much, but he could fill in with added pressure from the interior DL. 

Detroit Lions - CB Darius Slay

Not many options in my opinion for guys that I would really want from Detroit that they would be willing to deal. The guy I would want most is WR Kenny Golloday but I doubt they'd want to deal him. Slay is a little older at 28, nearly 29, but he is a very good CB that would help make this a shutdown secondary for the playoffs and beyond. 

I like the idea of trying to improve the DL.  Preferably with a younger player versus an older veteran.  Guys like McKinley, Williams, and Beasley would interest me.   I think DL would be the 1st priority.  I think WR could be a target as well.  The consensus here is we will be fine when Funchess and Campbell return but if we are serious about making a run getting an experienced vet might make sense.  Agholor, Parker, even Jeffrey, who might be in the doghouse, are interesting names.   People question Agholor's drops but that didn't stop Ballard from getting Ebron.  We have three extra picks to work with too so the current circumstances seem favorable for us to make some kind move to help us in our run.  All the experts think we should be buyers.  We shall see. 

I'm not expecting any trades to happen before tomorrow's deadline because Ballard values his picks. I'm glad the Giants traded for Leonard Williams because they won't be able to resign him because they have no cap space. Why trade draft capital when you can have Leonard Williams in free agency. 

I'm not saying Ballard is going to go crazy in free agency, but I almost bet he will be willing to sign free agents instead of trading away picks. 

• Like 1

Why the Colts could stand pat

Colts GM Chris Ballard has never been shy when it comes to pulling off roster transactions. With that said, he's also a big believer in stockpiling draft picks to help continue their roster building. That's why at this point, making a trade doesn't appear to be likely, especially with so many of the Colts young players getting playing time so far this season. There was a time during Sunday's victory over Denver that the Colts (5-2) had five rookie defensive players on the field.

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

Why the Colts could stand pat

Colts GM Chris Ballard has never been shy when it comes to pulling off roster transactions. With that said, he's also a big believer in stockpiling draft picks to help continue their roster building. That's why at this point, making a trade doesn't appear to be likely, especially with so many of the Colts young players getting playing time so far this season. There was a time during Sunday's victory over Denver that the Colts (5-2) had five rookie defensive players on the field.

Can’t agree more here. It was said when he came in here. We’ll be building this team through the draft. 

• Like 1