Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballards Drafting Prowess - Since it was knocked Recently

Scott Pennock

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

And your point? 

Then the #6 pick should be used more to execute multiple blocks on multiple defenders more often than to pancake one defender who might be one 4th round draft pick.  

Anyway you look at it, its wasted capital.

I disagree.   It went against the norm, but the outcome has been huge.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   It went against the norm, but the outcome has been huge.

Wow.  A nonargumentative contrarian retort.  Thanks for stating your opinion, instead of simply attacking mine.

Which is what normal conversation looks like.  Each person states their opinion, and supports it to the degree they feel like writing paragraphs to do it.

Instead of simply attacking another's opinion, as if simply pa-trolling the forum to root out nonsense contributes to a conversation.

And your point? 

Then the #6 pick should be used more to execute multiple blocks on multiple defenders more often than to pancake one defender who might be one 4th round draft pick.  

If he pancakes Aaron Donald, I'm more likely to see the investment.

Let me get this straight.

You... you think a player... should or should not be pancaked... based on where they were drafted... or how well they've played in the past?  What kind of... ?!?  This is a new level of goofy, even for you Doug.

You realize the combination blocks you are referring to are on run plays where Nelson is trying to open up running lanes, while the one-on-one blocks during passing plays are usually when Nelson buries a defender and then lays on them to take them out of the play and away from his QB.  He does exactly what he should be doing on almost every single play.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wow.  A nonargumentative contrarian retort.  Thanks for stating your opinion, instead of simply attacking mine.

Which is what normal conversation looks like.  Each person states their opinion, and supports it to the degree they feel like writing paragraphs to do it.

Instead of simply attacking another's opinion, as if simply pa-trolling the forum to root out nonsense contributes to a conversation.

I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to be arrogant.  

I know this has been the "dead horse", but I was totally on board with the Nelson pick from the start.  I wanted them to take him at #3 had they stayed there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to be arrogant.  

I know this has been the "dead horse", but I was totally on board with the Nelson pick from the start.  I wanted them to take him at #3 had they stayed there.  

That's cool. 

What I hate are the comments that criticize another's comments as the sole basis of the quote.  They just label others' comments as wrong or misguided, as if that accomplishes something.

The thing about draft's and draft picks, is that anything other than what happened is an alternate reality.  I can't see how anybody can get real excited over it.  My position is that Nelson was a B+ use of capital instead of an A or A+.  I don't ever consider that to be an insult towards Nelson, Ballard, or someone who might think it was an A+. 

I thought that picking Quincy Wilson and Terrell Basham were two of Ballard's best picks.  The players simply aren't working out.  It happens.  

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What I hate are the comments that criticize another's comments as the sole basis of the quote.

So when you disagree with someone, you can type out multiple paragraphs, but when someone disagrees with you, you just want them to type "I disagree" instead of pointing out what they think is wrong about your opinion...

Got it.  No double-standard there...  :funny:

10 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Why were Wilson and Basham two of the best picks?

I didn't say they were two of the best picks.  I said I thought they were two of the best picks.

Did you mean to ask.  "Why did you think Wilson and Basham were two of Ballard's best picks?

Or do you not realize when you are moving the goal posts, which is pretty much always?

51 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

So when you disagree with someone, you can type out multiple paragraphs, but when someone disagrees with you, you just want them to type "I disagree" instead of pointing out what they think is wrong about your opinion...

Got it.  No double-standard there...  :funny:

Again, you fail to understand what I said.  IOW, you move the goal posts, then attack.  Is that a deliberate tactic?

I don't want them exclusively pointing out what is wrong with my opinion using either one word or one page. 

I don't point out why people are wrong.  Especially since its usually just an opinion.  I offer my opinion, and sometimes explain it, but often have to defend it.  I spend more time defending my opinion by people like you than actually supporting it the first time I give it.  I usually don't point out "what's wrong" with others' opinions unless I get caught in a goalpost moving discussion before I realize it.  

So you just go around the forum pointing out what's wrong with other's opinions.  Your laughing response seems to indicate that's what we do here on this forum. 

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's cool. 

What I hate are the comments that criticize another's comments as the sole basis of the quote.  They just label others' comments as wrong or misguided, as if that accomplishes something.

The thing about draft's and draft picks, is that anything other than what happened is an alternate reality.  I can't see how anybody can get real excited over it.  My position is that Nelson was a B+ use of capital instead of an A or A+.  I don't ever consider that to be an insult towards Nelson, Ballard, or someone who might think it was an A+. 

I thought that picking Quincy Wilson and Terrell Basham were two of Ballard's best picks.  The players simply aren't working out.  It happens.  

I thought Nelson and Smith were his 2 best picks.   It gave the team direction and options.   By building the offensive line like that, it helped the offense allot.  It helped the defense allot.   Lucks retirement threw a wrench in the plan, but the team is in good shape otherwise.    

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I thought Nelson and Smith were his 2 best picks.   It gave the team direction and options.   By building the offensive line like that, it helped the offense allot.  It helped the defense allot.   Lucks retirement threw a wrench in the plan, but the team is in good shape otherwise.    

Don't get me wrong. I thought, not think, Wilson and Basham were his two best picks.  And Leonard the year later.

I think Smith was picked to be a G, but has worked out to be more valuable than just a G. 

Leonard has worked out to be more special than a #36 pick, so that has turned out to be his best pick, IMO, if we're judging picks through the time they were picked and now.  Nelson has been a great pick too.

• Like 1

Probably splitting hairs when deciding on his best picks.   I think he has done better than any GM I recall.  Still some question marks from last years draft, but it seems that many expect results in a rookie's first few games of their career.    

I think Ballard has done an excellent job in addressing the multiple position needs we had when he took over as GM.  There haven't been enough picks to fix everything yet, but he's sure done well in fixing some of them.  He's acquired additional picks along the way and used some of those to get players that are contributing and developing.

If you look at the overall body of work, he's hit much more than he's missed, and I would think he's done better than most GMs in the NFL.  There will always be misses in the draft, no matter what sport it is.

Some college players just can't adjust to the NFL level, but you don't know that until you draft them and they play on an NFL roster against NFL players.

I like where we're going and I'm sure the D-Line issues will be addressed.  That didn't seem to be a huge area of need coming into the season, but after 5 games and a poor performance for the most part, then I would think the need there is greater now.

That's cool. 

Brother, then you HATE this forum lol. It's not everyone obviously, but there's several in here that simply lack communication skills. They're quick to get angry when their ideals are challenged, and fail to understand the dynamics of a conversation, or friendly debate, amongst one or more individuals. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've been slanderized on this forum. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Brother, then you HATE this forum lol. It's not everyone obviously, but there's several in here that simply lack communication skills. They're quick to get angry when their ideals are challenged, and fail to understand the dynamics of a conversation, or friendly debate, amongst one or more individuals. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've been slanderized on this forum. 

It can be a pattern.  The comments that quickly extract what's wrong with something that is said,  left by itself, is apparently some sort of effort to make a point. 

Discounting someone's point is not the same thing as making a point.  Over and over again is a form of bullying, really.

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

I think Ballard has done an excellent job in addressing the multiple position needs we had when he took over as GM.  There haven't been enough picks to fix everything yet, but he's sure done well in fixing some of them.  He's acquired additional picks along the way and used some of those to get players that are contributing and developing.

If you look at the overall body of work, he's hit much more than he's missed, and I would think he's done better than most GMs in the NFL.  There will always be misses in the draft, no matter what sport it is.

Some college players just can't adjust to the NFL level, but you don't know that until you draft them and they play on an NFL roster against NFL players.

I like where we're going and I'm sure the D-Line issues will be addressed.  That didn't seem to be a huge area of need coming into the season, but after 5 games and a poor performance for the most part, then I would think the need there is greater now.

I would agree on the DL.  In 2018 the Colts where one of the best teams in the NFL in containing the run.  I don't know if it's because we are playing better running games now but they are not doing nearly as well.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

I would agree on the DL.  In 2018 the Colts where one of the best teams in the NFL in containing the run.  I don't know if it's because we are playing better running games now but they are not doing nearly as well.

I think it has allot to do with Lucks ability to drive the team down the field quickly.  Teams would give up on the running game..

After looking, the Colts were very good against the run allowing only 3.9 yards a carry.   

The Texans were #1 only allowing 3.4 yards per carry.

First off, excellent write up/side project! 

Secondly, what's also great about this is that while the results we have here speak for themselves, it is worth mentioning again that this is just his drafts. Through free agency he also brought in Ebron (an impact player), and Glowinski (a great starter); jury is out of Funchess. 

Thirdly, it can at least be said that this year's draft class has been disappointing thus far. Some have show flashes, but after being spoiled with the likes of Nelson and Leonard, it's disappointing to see no clear impact players. However, I have faith (and that's all I have) that before the year's end, one of these guys will finally start to show a big impact. My money is on Campbell to have a couple big games. As a dark horse (and not this draft class, I know), I still see Caine as a breakout candidate... if and only if we can open up the passing game for Brissett. 

Longer post than I intended, but I still think we have a lot to be excited about with having Ballard as our GM. Two second rounders (one of them an early one) and a boat load of cap room going into next year with a lot of good DT and WR prospects has me stoked to see this roster continue to get better.

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

I didn't say they were two of the best picks.  I said I thought they were two of the best picks.

Did you mean to ask.  "Why did you think Wilson and Basham were two of Ballard's best picks?

Or do you not realize when you are moving the goal posts, which is pretty much always?

Oh for pete's sake, do we all need to put "IMO" before and after everything we type on here?  I was literally asking you for your opinion for once, no need to get snippy about it...

If we're going to be this nitpicky, then did you mean to say that you "thought they were two of his best picks in that draft" at the time, but don't anymore?

So yes, I guess I meant to ask:  Why did you think they were two of his best picks in that draft at the time?  Just honestly curious.  :thmup:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Oh for pete's sake, do we all need to put "IMO" before and after everything we type on here?  I was literally asking you for your opinion for once, no need to get snippy about it...

If we're going to be this nitpicky, then did you mean to say that you "thought they were two of his best picks in that draft" at the time, but don't anymore?

So yes, I guess I meant to ask:  Why did you think they were two of his best picks in that draft at the time?  Just honestly curious.  :thmup:

For goodness sake,   STOP BULLYING HIM

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

Again, you fail to understand what I said.  IOW, you move the goal posts, then attack.  Is that a deliberate tactic?

I don't want them exclusively pointing out what is wrong with my opinion using either one word or one page. 

I don't point out why people are wrong.  Especially since its usually just an opinion.  I offer my opinion, and sometimes explain it, but often have to defend it.  I spend more time defending my opinion by people like you than actually supporting it the first time I give it.  I usually don't point out "what's wrong" with others' opinions unless I get caught in a goalpost moving discussion before I realize it.  

So you just go around the forum pointing out what's wrong with other's opinions.  Your laughing response seems to indicate that's what we do here on this forum. 

This is a forum for opinions.  It's either start a thread with your opinion, and then go from there (have you ever created a thread, btw? you should try it sometime) or provide your opinion as a counterpoint in a thread that someone else started.  Either way, there's a discussion of differing opinions, and your skin has to be thick enough to handle criticism of your opinion.  If you don't want people attacking your opinion, maybe don't put it on the internet, just tell it to your dog/cat, or pillow, or wall.  :dunno:

You have some good takes on some topics, but typically have a very individualistic opinion that many people disagree with, maybe even find laughable.  Don't be surprised, when you repeat those opinions in multiple threads, that the same people that disagree with those opinions repeatedly chime in about how wrong your opinion is.  Except instead of re-hashing why they think it's wrong and making a thread unnecessarily long, they will succinctly call you out.  :hat:

I personally try to have some fun with it.  Sometimes you're a good sport, sometimes not.  If I've been disrespectful, I'm sorry about that.  :shake:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

First off, excellent write up/side project! 

Secondly, what's also great about this is that while the results we have here speak for themselves, it is worth mentioning again that this is just his drafts. Through free agency he also brought in Ebron (an impact player), and Glowinski (a great starter); jury is out of Funchess. 

Thirdly, it can at least be said that this year's draft class has been disappointing thus far. Some have show flashes, but after being spoiled with the likes of Nelson and Leonard, it's disappointing to see no clear impact players. However, I have faith (and that's all I have) that before the year's end, one of these guys will finally start to show a big impact. My money is on Campbell to have a couple big games. As a dark horse (and not this draft class, I know), I still see Caine as a breakout candidate... if and only if we can open up the passing game for Brissett. 

Longer post than I intended, but I still think we have a lot to be excited about with having Ballard as our GM. Two second rounders (one of them an early one) and a boat load of cap room going into next year with a lot of good DT and WR prospects has me stoked to see this roster continue to get better.

Not sure I would call 2019's a disappointment compared to 18. You really need to compare based on where guys are taken, and what positions they play (some positions take longer to develop). Overall I'd say we did decent. I'd also argue that the worse your roster is, the easier it is to draft "successfully", and the more solid your roster is, the harder it is to "upgrade".  To qualify the comparison further down, my overly simplified expectations based on where guys are drafted are as follows.

1R P1-10: Expectation -  Instant starter, long term stud

2019 - None

2018 - Nelson - met expectation

1R P11-32: Expectation - Starter by the end of the year, long term solid

2019 - None

2018 - None

2R P1-16: Expectation - Immediate rotational player, starter by year two

2019 - Rock Ya-Sin - top 2 CB in snap count already, exceeded expectations

2018 - Darius Leonard - exceeded expectation

2018 - Braden Smith - exceeded expectation

2R P16-end: Expectation - Rotational by end of year, starter in year two

2019 - Ben Banogu - more situational than rotational, but overall met expectation so far

2019 - Parris Campbell - hampered by injury but in the mix, also returning. Met expectation

2018 - Kemoko Turay - was rotational, and trending up before injury. Met expectation

2018 - Tyquan Lewis - hobbled right now but has been a steady contributor. Met expectation

3-4R: Expectation - Rotational, situational, developmental, special teams, and depth.

2019 - Bobby Okereke - starting because of injury, met expectation

2019 - Khari Willis - getting plenty of snaps, met or exceeded expectation

2018 - Nyheim Hines - came close to setting rookie records. exceeded expectation

5-7R: Expectation - Special teams, developmental, dice rolls, and practice squad

Marvell Tell III - STs and some time in rotation - met expectation

EJ Speed - STs and 2nd string - met expectation

Gerri Green - PS. TBD

Jackson Barton - PS. TBD

Javon Patterson - IR. TBD

Daurice Fountain - Trending very well before injury. TBD

Jordan Wilkins - Rotational. Exceeded expectation

Deon Cain - Rotational after injury recovery. Exceeded expectation

Matthew Adams - we don't play SAM much, but met or exceeded expectation

Zaire Franklin - we don't play SAM much, but met or exceeded expectation

9 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

This is a forum for opinions.  It's either start a thread with your opinion, and then go from there (have you ever created a thread, btw? you should try it sometime) or provide your opinion as a counterpoint in a thread that someone else started.  Either way, there's a discussion of differing opinions, and your skin has to be thick enough to handle criticism of your opinion.  If you don't want people attacking your opinion, maybe don't put it on the internet, just tell it to your dog/cat, or pillow, or wall.  :dunno:

You have some good takes on some topics, but typically have a very individualistic opinion that many people disagree with, maybe even find laughable.  Don't be surprised, when you repeat those opinions in multiple threads, that the same people that disagree with those opinions repeatedly chime in about how wrong your opinion is.  Except instead of re-hashing why they think it's wrong and making a thread unnecessarily long, they will succinctly call you out.  :hat:

I personally try to have some fun with it.  Sometimes you're a good sport, sometimes not.  If I've been disrespectful, I'm sorry about that.  :shake:

"Your opinion sucks", or "where is your verification",  is not a discussion of different opinions.  And if they are the pattern of posts, it indicates something else is going on besides a sincere expression.

In fact, most of your posts when quoting me are actually about ME, and not even the topic of my comment.

Nice try.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, DougDew said:

And your point? 

If he pancakes Aaron Donald, I'm more likely to see the investment.

In pass protect, you should pancake. In run block, you should execute multiple blocks if you're the lead blocker, and pancake if you're not. Why is that so hard to understand???

And who do you suggest we take instead of Q? If I'm redrafting that draft, and Big Q somehow doesn't go higher, I wouldn't hesitate to take him again.

I don't mean this personally, but it seems like you have absolutely no idea how O lines work. I suggest you read up about them first before you go spouting off nonsense like Big Q shouldn't pancake, or Big Q is gonna break his wrists by pancaking. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

In pass protect, you should pancake. In run block, you should execute multiple blocks if you're the lead blocker, and pancake if you're not. Why is that so hard to understand???

And who do you suggest we take instead of Q? If I'm redrafting that draft, and Big Q somehow doesn't go higher, I wouldn't hesitate to take him again.

I don't mean this personally, but it seems like you have absolutely no idea how O lines work. I suggest you read up about them first before you go spouting off nonsense like Big Q shouldn't pancake, or Big Q is gonna break his wrists by pancaking. 

he didnt like the nelson pick and will never admit he was wrong.  i have some unpopular opinions myself, but that guy is ridiculous 

i didnt see an ignore button on the new forum(maybe i just missed it) but im not reading any more of that guys posts or quotes

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he didnt like the nelson pick and will never admit he was wrong.  i have some unpopular opinions myself, but that guy is ridiculous 

i didnt see an ignore button on the new forum(maybe i just missed it) but im not reading any more of that guys posts or quotes

Click on your profile name on the top right and "Ignored Users" is an option on the drop down. You can add or remove people there I guess.