Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Obviously We Dont Have A Plan

oldunclemark

Management is just trying to put together a good team, given the cap constraints we have. I don't know why you (oldunclemark) want them to do it in one specific way. A team that's trying to improve the talent on the field doesn't say "we're going to get rid of our best players." We got rid of players who hadn't contributed at a high level, and we kept players that have contributed at a high level. The Freeney issue is a contract issue, because we can't carry him at $19 million all season.

Why do you think we either have to keep all our vets or get rid of all our vets in order to "have a plan"? The plan is to get better, and we'll keep the vets that will allow us to do that, and get rid of the ones that are an impediment to that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt..but we've ben told for 3 months that we are rebuilding

Everything being said, goes in one ear and straight out the other. You need to let some of this info in Mark and let it swirl around in there for a while, maybe eventually some of it will sink in.

Obviously?

I hold no grudges against the Polians and Grigson gets a few years to build, in my mind

But if I'd have suggested that cant we PLEASE keep Reggie Wayne around LAST WEEK after Manning was cut.

We need him for leadership...

...what would you have said to me then.?

If you suggested that can't we please keep Reggie Wayne, I would have said, it depends if he was willing to sign a reasonable contract that fits into our cap and rebuilding situation. And, after the fact, I see that Reggie was willing to do that. He signed on for 3 years at less than $6MM/year Average Annual Compensation. That is $2MM less per year than what Garcon signed on for with the Redskins.

When a WR1 agrees to take less than what the WR2 got, I think that addresses the cap and rebuilding needs.

If you suggested that can't we please keep Reggie Wayne, I would have said, it depends if he was willing to sign a reasonable contract that fits into our cap and rebuilding situation. And, after the fact, I see that Reggie was willing to do that. He signed on for 3 years at less than $6MM/year Average Annual Compensation. That is $2MM less per year than what Garcon signed on for with the Redskins.

When a WR1 agrees to take less than what the WR2 got, I think that addresses the cap and rebuilding needs.

well...Im glad he's back..no matter how it happened..and I'm glad to see you have faith...

Peyton is gone. I know it's hard but you will have to get over it. Some of us can get over a break up fast but some it takes longer and for others never. I hope you're not the last one. Just because you can't see the vison doesn't mean their isn't one.

Sorry I thought this post was about Reggie not Peyton. This is how post go wrong very quickly. :hide: Please lets keep this on Reggie. JMO of course

We'd been talking to Garcon..

I'm okay with it.....but 34 year old WRs and 31 year old DEs are simply not a long term plan.

I didnt expect one...

Irsay said there was one..but that was just talk

Wow, having a 31 and a 33 yr. old take up 2 of 52 roster spots mean we don't have a long term plan. Maybe the long term plan is to have some veterans around the next couple of years so the young guys have some people around that have had some success and can learn what it takes to win in the NFL.

Wow, having a 31 and a 33 yr. old take up 2 of 52 roster spots mean we don't have a long term plan. Maybe the long term plan is to have some veterans around the next couple of years so the young guys have some people around that have had some success and can learn what it takes to win in the NFL.

Its the money we spent on them....a

No faith required.

I 'm usually pretty optimistic for the Colts..and I always get killed here for it.

Its like it isnt allowed....

One time I was all the way real..

..and everybody's seeing sunshine on the horizon..

Glad to see it.

You guys know a lot about this rebuilding plan never having seen it verbalized yet by our leaders..

Feels weird to keep comparing this years plan so far to the plan of the seahawks a year or two ago, but they are very similar hawks drafted young guys, and cut alot of veterans, but they also signed vets like Lynch, Milloy, and kept vets like Trufant and Hill. This is what the colts are doing, get players that can help the younger kids grow!

I 'm usually pretty optimistic for the Colts..and I always get killed here for it.

Its like it isnt allowed....

One time I was all the way real..

..and everybody's seeing sunshine on the horizon..

Glad to see it.

Mark,

I see the realities of what it will take to rebuild. I know what the salary cap constraints are.

I saw what needed to be done, and I shared that with you.

So far, the new FO has acted in a very rational manner within those constraints.

I look forward to seeing consistent improvement in the team year by year. Sure there will be many youngsters on the team, as well as some veterans who can not only teach, mentor, but provide role models for the rookies. The team will evolve every year, as veterans retire or move on, and as former rookies take on the mantle of increased responsibilities and starting roles. Hopefully, if this is done right, there will be a somewhat continuous train of this year by year, unlike what existed last season where the gap between starters and 2nd stringers was too wide to allow the continuity. Part of the problem was not drafting good base talent, another was keeping aging talent around too long and paying them too much.

Mark,

I see the realities of what it will take to rebuild. I know what the salary cap constraints are.

I saw what needed to be done, and I shared that with you.

So far, the new FO has acted in a very rational manner within those constraints.

I look forward to seeing consistent improvement in the team year by year. Sure there will be many youngsters on the team, as well as some veterans who can not only teach, mentor, but provide role models for the rookies. The team will evolve every year, as veterans retire or move on, and as former rookies take on the mantle of increased responsibilities and starting roles. Hopefully, if this is done right, there will be a somewhat continuous train of this year by year, unlike what existed last season where the gap between starters and 2nd stringers was too wide to allow the continuity. Part of the problem was not drafting good base talent, another was keeping aging talent around too long and paying them too much.

so you didnt like my poem either?

I agree with that...

But FROG MAN....we're just scuffling now..trying to fill the roster.

I think we intended to keep garcon and reggie was a fall back.

Again..hear me clearly. I"M not against this. I want Freeney and Saturday for another year, too..

I'm the guy who wants to be respectable in 2012..and not suck just to get another high draft..

...but s...if there's a real plan here...it isnt in two 30-something guys..

It probably doesnt go into effect until 2013

The plan is in motion already, oldunclemark. It takes more than one year to rebuild. It takes several years to accomplish a complete roster overhaul, and this year is just the first step in a long process.

Wayne said as much when he was interviewed recently that he hadn't even been called so I believed what he said and he wasn't even considered until Garcon turned down the contract but I'm glad he came back we need some experience. We can't have all rookies and have a decent season. JMO of course

right, I think this just shows how little inside info we have. I totally thought wayne was out of it because of what he said, then he gets signed. we need an inside leak. where is deep throat?

Garcon would have made more sense for a rebuilding team due to his youth and talent, but that didn't work out. Wayne makes for a great fallback option.

Wayne wasn't the number 1 receiver last year. If someone had offered Wayne 5 years at 8 mil per, he would have taken it. Glad he's back, don't get me wrong, but the Colts suddenly gave Wayne 3 years at what they were reported to have offered Garcon for 5 years, but not before Garcon signed with the Skins.

The plan is in motion already, oldunclemark. It takes more than one year to rebuild. It takes several years to accomplish a complete roster overhaul, and this year is just the first step in a long process.

I'm very encouraged in everyone's faith in a plan that no one has detailed for us

That's true faith

I'm very encouraged in everyone's faith in a plan that no one has detailed for us

That's true faith

It's there if you listen.

We're going to have a more aggressive defense which is likely going to be some variation of the 3/4. We're going to have a more balanced philosophy as to how we build our team. That likely means less emphasis on offense, and I'm assuming, less emphasis on a handful of superstars backed up by undrafted free agents. On offense, we're probably going to try and run the ball more. We're getting bigger. We want to get more physical. We want our defense to dictate to other offenses rather than allow themselves to be dictated to.

Don't worry about details. Look big picture. It's there. Success in the NFL is all about having a vision of where you want to go, and the willingness to adapt to the circumstances you find yourself in.

I keep telling you it's going to be ok Mark.

It's there if you listen.

We're going to have a more aggressive defense which is likely going to be some variation of the 3/4. We're going to have a more balanced philosophy as to how we build our team. That likely means less emphasis on offense, and I'm assuming, less emphasis on a handful of superstars backed up by undrafted free agents. On offense, we're probably going to try and run the ball more. We're getting bigger. We want to get more physical. We want our defense to dictate to other offenses rather than allow themselves to be dictated to.

Don't worry about details. Look big picture. It's there. Success in the NFL is all about having a vision of where you want to go, and the willingness to adapt to the circumstances you find yourself in.

I keep telling you it's going to be ok Mark.

I love your detail.....on a plan no one has verbalized..

I hope you are 1000% right..

....I'm serious..its grart sto see fans optimistic.

I heard someone on the NFL network Wednsday say the Colts fans have to understand that it could be 5 years..for us to contend

I think I'll listen to you

I heard someone on the NFL network Wednsday say the Colts fans have to understand that it could be 5 years..for us to contend

Mark, pretty much everything I got there came directly from Grigson and Pagano from various press conferences and statements.

I'm not saying there aren't going to be bumps along the way, but I really do feel confident we're going to get there.

Mark, pretty much everything I got there came directly from Grigson and Pagano from various press conferences and statements.

I'm not saying there aren't going to be bumps along the way, but I really do feel confident we're going to get there.

i do too.....I just dont want to wait until 2015

I wish we didnt have to...but now..I pretty much know we do./..

i do too.....I just dont want to wait until 2015

I wish we didnt have to...but now..I pretty much know we do./..

You can't always get what you want mark.

But if you try sometimes. You find. You get what you NEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

Those are the same guys who said that the window had closed on the Colts the year we went to the Super Bowl.

Pssst... Actually, it's not the same guy. The guy oldunclemark is referring to is LT. The guys I'm referring to are Rich Eisen, Jamie Dukes, Fran Charles, etc... I just said what I said to get a like...

Clearly we have no plan that's etched in stone.

No rebuiding plan would include a 34-year-old WR and a 31-year old converted DE - LB

But I'm okay with that because I think a franchise has to be respectable every year.

You cant just put all ponies out there...You need to give the fans some REAL Colts...

I"d like Freeney and Saturday to come back with Wayne and Mathis.

Its important not to just write off 2012

You dont bring in new players or win fans with the slogan

"We're the Colts!!

You're just a hater!

We dont care about this year!!"

Check back with us later!!!"

Sadly - I agree; we don't appear to have a plan for 2012, except:

"Suck in 2012, shed cap$ and see whatever happens in 2013" And we're paying people a lot of money for that strategy!

Thank you Bill Polian.

Sadly - I agree; we don't appear to have a plan for 2012, except:

"Suck in 2012, shed cap$ and see whatever happens in 2013" And we're paying people a lot of money for that strategy!

Thank you Bill Polian.

Well, to be fair, a shedding cap money is a big part of what needs to happen. I think the sucking part is simply a necessary byproduct of that, rather than an intentional part of the plan.

Just because we're rebuilding doesn't mean every one on the roster has to be 26 and under. Great veteran leaders like Reggie Wayne and Cory Redding are extremely important in the growth in the kids. Bottom line is you need a mixture of veteran leaders and young guys with potential to rebuild successfully.

Just because we're rebuilding doesn't mean every one on the roster has to be 26 and under. Great veteran leaders like Reggie Wayne and Cory Redding are extremely important in the growth in the kids. Bottom line is you need a mixture of veteran leaders and young guys with potential to rebuild successfully.

From what I remember, Marvin was coasting along with ample separation from DBs till what, 35 years old till he had that knee injury while run blocking in 2007. After that, he was never the same. But we were all in wonder that Marvin was aging like fine wine till then. He made several memorable plays in 2006 at 34 years of age.

Age is not the clinching factor all the time, it is how well one's performance stays steady or depreciates with age that determines their value to the team.

Are these the great vets who skipped mini camp a few years ago because they wanted to help our new future HOF QB, or because they wanted more dollars?