Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich presser 8/21

Just now, Cynjin said:

I understand the sentiment, but I can't see that happening.  The owners are not going to give up the kind of revenue they get with 2 pre-season games.  If they cut the pre-season down to 2 games, which would be fine by me, they are going to want to make up that revenue somewhere.

I did some rough math with incomplete information, which is perfect for posting on a message board...

The NFL gets at least $6B/year in TV revenue, split between 32 teams is about $187m/year, per team. Over a 17 week regular season, that's about $11m each week. Based on the Packers financials, they make about $7m in revenue per home game. 

Take away one preseason game at $7m (which is probably high; I get the feeling teams don't usually sell out in preseason, which means parking, concessions and memorabilia also take a hit), but add two weeks to the regular season, and each team comes out ahead.

And my proposal is you go to a 19 week regular season, with three bye weeks. So that extra revenue is only coming from being on TV for two extra weeks, not from tickets, concessions, etc. That also means you're not taking on additional overhead; you're actually reducing your overhead, because you're getting rid of a fully staffed preseason event, and not adding any regular season events. I think my proposal is a net gain for each team, solely on the basis of dominating TV for two extra weeks in the regular season.

I also think my proposal is better for the players and the quality of the game. If each team has three byes, you can schedule TNF only after a bye week -- which takes care of the low quality TNF games and probably improves ratings, increasing future profitability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I did some rough math with incomplete information, which is perfect for posting on a message board...

The NFL gets at least $6B/year in TV revenue, split between 32 teams is about $187m/year, per team. Over a 17 week regular season, that's about $11m each week. Based on the Packers financials, they make about $7m in revenue per home game. 

Take away one preseason game at $7m (which is probably high; I get the feeling teams don't usually sell out in preseason, which means parking, concessions and memorabilia also take a hit), but add two weeks to the regular season, and each team comes out ahead.

And my proposal is you go to a 19 week regular season, with three bye weeks. So that extra revenue is only coming from being on TV for two extra weeks, not from tickets, concessions, etc. That also means you're not taking on additional overhead; you're actually reducing your overhead, because you're getting rid of a fully staffed preseason event, and not adding any regular season events. I think my proposal is a net gain for each team, solely on the basis of dominating TV for two extra weeks in the regular season.

I also think my proposal is better for the players and the quality of the game. If each team has three byes, you can schedule TNF only after a bye week -- which takes care of the low quality TNF games and probably improves ratings, increasing future profitability. 

The bolded is both funny and accurate.

So you are saying get rid of all pre-season games, correct?  Which is also fine by me, the teams may need to have rosters expanded a little.

11 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I feel sorry (not sorry) for the person who bought my 5 tickets for this game. I was shocked someone bought them for that price. 

If I am not mistaken you have had season tickets for years. I have been to around 50 games in my lifetime myself. I have never been to a pre-season game though. I just had no interest. So yeah, nice sell :thmup:

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I am not mistaken you have had season tickets for years. I have been to around 50 games in my lifetime myself. I have never been to a pre-season game though. I just had no interest. So yeah, nice sell :thmup:

I used to go to them. I’ve sold them dirt cheap, given them away to friends, and donated them in past. It’s just not worth going anymore. I hate paying so much for them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I may be old fashioned but I think the NFL should keep everything the way it is except only play 2 pre-season games should be played. Only 6 teams making the playoffs is perfect IMO, it makes the regular season super important. Usually all 6 teams that do make it from each conference are good to great as well. An 18 game regular season is too long, more chance of injury. If the NFL goes to 18 games than records won't mean anything either because today's players would have the advantage compiling bigger stats. Like 55 TD's in one season would be easier to obtain for QB's and QB's may come close to throwing for 6000 Yards. To me those seasons won't mean as much if that happens. 

Just my opinion, but I really don't care about stats increasing, or records. Give me more games. Injury is just part of the game. I'm perfectly fine with expanding playoffs too. Whatever gives us a better shot at the playoffs is fine with me. If sub par teams get in, and get beat, doesn't bother me.

If they did move increase to 18, I'd prefer they expand the roster at the same %. That would give teams roughly 60 players instead of 53. That would equalize for injury. 

More games for fans, more paychecks for players, more chances for the post season, and possibly more players.. Everyone wins.

19 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Goodell did talk about the possibility of shortening preseason recently. The discussion gets brought up most every summer but maybe if enough teams start holding out their starters more it could help lead to that possibility.

Although I think that discussion was also connected with expanding the playoffs, which would just be silly.

Unfortunately, that ding dong will do whatever makes the NFL more money, not what's best for the players. 

19 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I understand the sentiment, but I can't see that happening.  The owners are not going to give up the kind of revenue they get with 2 pre-season games.  If they cut the pre-season down to 2 games, which would be fine by me, they are going to want to make up that revenue somewhere.

You just cut the players % of take.

• Like 1