Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 5th Spot...

Shadow_Creek

So far in Training Camp our four WR locks are Ty of course DF, Cain and Campbell however its kind of hard to tell right now who will win the 5th spot if there is one at all. There seems to be some poor performances coming from paschal who looked really good last year. I hope he cleans that up and comes out these next couple of days on fire because hes one of my favorites to watch

• Like 1

it's early. there will definitely be a 5th. right now, odds are it's Rogers as the coaches continue to talk about Campbell being able to play outside too. if they truly see Parris as a guy who can play any spot, look for them to take 2 Xs (Funch/Cain), and two Z/Slot (TY/Rogers) with Parris floating all over the place.

and it could be 6 this year, or at least to start the season, or until they see how Cain's year goes. and keep in mind they can put Fountain or Dulin on the PS to continue development.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

So fans know who the 4 locks are and that no one has grabbed the fifth spot?

I'd bet that quite a few WR's in that locker room would like to know. 

if there were a vegas line, i'd bet those 4 would be very big favorites. 

i'll take your wager :-) if you're voting against.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

So fans know who the 4 locks are and that no one has grabbed the fifth spot?

I'd bet that quite a few WR's in that locker room would like to know. 

It’s looking that way. We will see if any injuries happen and how the preseason goes. It is pretty obvious so far.  I mean who isnt going to make it between TY, DF, Campbell and Cain. Those seem like locks to me. Despite Cain’s injury he is already looking better then Rogers, pascal, fountain and Johnson.

• Like 2

I think this 5th and possibly the sixth spot will be decided in the next four games. The problem with the receivers from last year that is still on the team (outside TY) is they do not show up on game day. That’s how the last spot or two will be decided.  I hope these guys show up this year 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

I think this 5th and possibly the sixth spot will be decided in the next four games. The problem with the receivers from last year that is still on the team (outside TY) is they do not show up on game day. That’s how the last spot or two will be decided.  I hope these guys show up this year 

Some of the young guys haven't really been game tested (e.g., Dulin & Campbell) and others have very limited game experience.  I think Fountain has the most potential out of the guys likely battling for the 5th spot (i.e., not TY, Campbell, DF, and likely not Cain).   It'll be interesting to see if that drop in the playoffs comes back to bite him at all -- a lot of times it only takes 1 or 2 really bone headed plays in preseason to lose your job if you're a bubble guy.... hopefully if it comes down to Fountain making a catch in a pressure situation in a preseason game he doesn't flashback to KC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Some of the young guys haven't really been game tested (e.g., Dulin & Campbell) and others have very limited game experience.  I think Fountain has the most potential out of the guys likely battling for the 5th spot (i.e., not TY, Campbell, DF, and likely not Cain).   It'll be interesting to see if that drop in the playoffs comes back to bite him at all -- a lot of times it only takes 1 or 2 really bone headed plays in preseason to lose your job if you're a bubble guy.... hopefully if it comes down to Fountain making a catch in a pressure situation in a preseason game he doesn't flashback to KC.

Ishmael might get the 5th spot but who knows

10 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

So far in Training Camp our four WR locks are Ty of course DF, Cain and Campbell however its kind of hard to tell right now who will win the 5th spot if there is one at all. There seems to be some poor performances coming from paschal who looked really good last year. I hope he cleans that up and comes out these next couple of days on fire because hes one of my favorites to watch

Pascal had very modest success last season as a receiver. He was getting playing time because of his blocking. Someone that blocks pretty well but is a better receiver should be able to take his spot. Play on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Not sure I'd consider Cain a lock.  He's yet to show anything in a real (or even preseason) game.  I'm pulling for him to be as good as everyone is saying, but we've had camp stars before who didn't make the team.

The WR depth is 'potentially' very deep.  I say potentially because we really only have a couple guys who've played significant time in real games. 

I wondered if the Giants will make a call, maybe asking about a guy like Chester or Pascal.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not sure I'd consider Cain a lock.  He's yet to show anything in a real (or even preseason) game.  I'm pulling for him to be as good as everyone is saying, but we've had camp stars before who didn't make the team.

The WR depth is 'potentially' very deep.  I say potentially because we really only have a couple guys who've played significant time in real games. 

I wondered if the Giants will make a call, maybe asking about a guy like Chester or Pascal.

I can see the Giants calling for sure.  Especially for Rogers.  Then the fifth could go to Pascal, Fountain or Ishmael.  

36 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They aren’t going to get rid of him. They are going to let him get fully healthy before any decision is made. Did you see Ballard’s face light yo when talking about him. Someone else would have to ball out for that to happen.

• Like 1

I am excited about Cain as a lot of people are.  There is a lot of buzz about him.  I wouldn’t say he is a lock to make the roster tho. He hasn’t even played a full game yet.  Let’s make sure he can stay healthy and consistently make plays against other teams before we award him a roster spot. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pascal had very modest success last season as a receiver. He was getting playing time because of his blocking. Someone that blocks pretty well but is a better receiver should be able to take his spot. Play on.

I’m guessing you didn’t see Ballard’s quote this past week about how pleased he was with Pascal last season.    I’m sure you’re not alone.

There are more than five weeks left to decide who fills the fifth spot and already we have this thread expressing disappointment that nobody has stepped up yet.

Yet?   Camp is less than a week old and people are wringing hands and worried.   Goodness gracious.   Sigh....

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

According to Kevin Bowen’s new article it looks like Rogers is still the odds on favorite to take that 5th spot. He is still getting the most time with the first team. It looks like it is between Rogers, pascal, and Johnson.

Early, but I agree. Especially if they have designs for Parris to also play outside. Rogers brings many things. Returner, slot, back up Z, and experience in the system / chemistry with Luck. Not flashy, but dependable.

9 hours ago, Archer said:

Not quite sure Cain is quite a lock, but he’s taken an early lead on #4.  

Reading articles and tweets, a lot are saying he's been the star WR at camp (I'm sure they meant besides TY's limited time). If things keep trending that way, I would not be shocked if he ends up be WR2, especially as the season goes along.

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Agreed. It's early, but his ceiling simply isn't as high as others. His floor is higher than some though. Ballard has been complimentary on him, sure, but that was last season when we had one of the least talented WR corp in the league. Much easier to shine when overall talent is low.

We've also heard from Ballard/Reich (this year) that Rogers is "having his best camp ever", Cain is "really fun to watch", Campbell is succeeding all over the field and will also play on the outside, and Funchess is looking like a new man. 

We're not going to keep more than 3 Xs. IMO, Funch and Cain are locks. He's (Pascal) competing with Fountain likely. Parris may also factor into things, as they seem to see him as both an inside and outside guy. So you might see 2 Xs + 2 Slot/Z + Parris who does both. I'd love to see them keep 6 early until Cain's situation is clear. Regardless, we'll definitely have one on the PS.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m guessing you didn’t see Ballard’s quote this past week about how pleased he was with Pascal last season.    I’m sure you’re not alone.

There are more than five weeks left to decide who fills the fifth spot and already we have this thread expressing disappointment that nobody has stepped up yet.

Yet?   Camp is less than a week old and people are wringing hands and worried.   Goodness gracious.   Sigh....

The thread was brought to life by a perpetual bad thread starter.  Only the terminally clueless are really worried at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one is expressing disapoitment. It was just a observation with the first week of camp in the books. I am sure once the pre season games start we will see who really wants that 5th spot.

20 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Early, but I agree. Especially if they have designs for Parris to also play outside. Rogers brings many things. Returner, slot, back up Z, and experience in the system / chemistry with Luck. Not flashy, but dependable.

Reading articles and tweets, a lot are saying he's been the star WR at camp (I'm sure they meant besides TY's limited time). If things keep trending that way, I would not be shocked if he ends up be WR2, especially as the season goes along.

Agreed. It's early, but his ceiling simply isn't as high as others. His floor is higher than some though. Ballard has been complimentary on him, sure, but that was last season when we had one of the least talented WR corp in the league. Much easier to shine when overall talent is low.

We've also heard from Ballard/Reich (this year) that Rogers is "having his best camp ever", Cain is "really fun to watch", Campbell is succeeding all over the field and will also play on the outside, and Funchess is looking like a new man. 

We're not going to keep more than 3 Xs. IMO, Funch and Cain are locks. He's (Pascal) competing with Fountain likely. Parris may also factor into things, as they seem to see him as both an inside and outside guy. So you might see 2 Xs + 2 Slot/Z + Parris who does both. I'd love to see them keep 6 early until Cain's situation is clear. Regardless, we'll definitely have one on the PS.

Not sure Cain has been the star. He has looked better then anyone competing for that fourth and fifth spot though.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is expressing disapoitment. It was just a observation with the first week of camp in the books. I am sure once the pre season games start we will see who really wants that 5th spot.

yup, discussion does not equate to disappointment lol. 10 more days till the fun starts. should be fun to see the young guys running around. i wonder how much we'll see of certain guys week 1. the coaches obviously understand what they have in TY, but beyond that, it will be interesting. i think they have a firm understanding of what they have in Rogers, so not sure we'll see him much game one.  

18 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

TY

Funchess

Cain

Campbell

Rogers

Im not sure who still has PS eligibility 

I dont see 6

Pascal may supplant Rogers as KR

Here's a blurb on PS squad eligibility. Fountain (1 season), Veasy (1 season), Pascal (2 seasons), Ishmael (1), Hogan (2), Hart (R), Dulin (R), Cain (1), Campbell (R) are all definitely eligible. I think Johnson technically could be one too.

Not all players are eligible for a practice squad, especially if they’ve been in the NFL for several years and/or played in a number of games. In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad. In the previous agreement, only two players with two accrued seasons were allowed to be on a practice squad.

Other than those four players, eligibility is limited to players who have been on an active roster for fewer than six games, or were on a 46-man active gameday roster for fewer than nine games.

A player is allowed on the practice squad for up to two years, with one year counting as six weeks in a season. A third year on the practice squad is only allowed if the team keeps 53 players on their active roster at all times (which every team does).

Here's my guess.

Primary Z - TY

Primary X - Funch and Cain

Primary Slot - Rogers

Inside and Outside - Campbell

6th/PS - Fountain and/or Pascal

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sorry to nitpick because I realize it's just semantics but I can't stand the "who really wants it" line regarding the 5th WR.  They ALL want it.  A better way of saying it is who is good enough to earn the spot.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not sure Cain has been the star. He has looked better then anyone competing for that fourth and fifth spot though.

Not that I agree, but there have been plenty of tweets and articles that have eluded to him being the star. Pretty sure a few tweets from either you or CR91 also shared the opinion. The IndyStar guys definitely said so. Here's one who's actual headline says so.

https://www.indianasportscoverage.com/deon-cain-early-star-colts-training-camp/

I agree it's early, but what were seeing IMO is him pushing above 4. Honestly, I'm not sure if I would classify Funch as the firm #2. Sure he's a lock for the 53. But I'm still not sure he'll be the X between the 20s. Whoever that is, will be the true #2. He'll absolutely be the X or bully slot in RZ situations, but he still has to prove he can succeed and be well rounded outside of the RZ.

• Like 1

Just now, Irish YJ said:

Not that I agree, but there have been plenty of tweets and articles that have eluded to him being the star. Pretty sure a few tweets from either you or CR91 also shared the opinion. The IndyStar guys definitely said so. Here's one who's actual headline says so.

https://www.indianasportscoverage.com/deon-cain-early-star-colts-training-camp/

I agree it's early, but what were seeing IMO is him pushing above 4. Honestly, I'm not sure if I would classify Funch as the firm #2. Sure he's a lock for the 53. But I'm still not sure he'll be the X between the 20s. Whoever that is, will be the true #2. He'll absolutely be the X or bully slot in RZ situations, but he still has to prove he can succeed and be well rounded outside of the RZ.

From the tweets I have seen I think Funch has been better then Cain so far. I would say Campbell and Cain have been close. I think Cain just sticks our to reporters because of the injuries and him looking good last TC. Then Campbell gets a lot of attention because he is a rookie. I have been disappointed in the local media not covering DF ‘more.

• Like 1

From the tweets I have seen I think Funch has been better then Cain so far. I would say Campbell and Cain have been close. I think Cain just sticks our to reporters because of the injuries and him looking good last TC. Then Campbell gets a lot of attention because he is a rookie. I have been disappointed in the local media not covering DF ‘more.

Most, if not all, of what I've seen/heard/read about Funch, is performance in the RZ. I absolutely think he'll be boss there and have all along. Until I start seeing/reading/hearing the same during drills between the 20s, I'm going to be cautious. Hint hint Chloe/CR91 :-) :banana:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Most, if not all, of what I've seen/heard/read about Funch, is performance in the RZ. I absolutely think he'll be boss there and have all along. Until I start seeing/reading/hearing the same during drills between the 20s, I'm going to be cautious. Hint hint Chloe/CR91 :-) :banana:

I don’t even think they have run many drills like that yet. They have done 11 on 11 but not sure where they are doing those at. He has a couple catches in 11 on 11 yesterday.  He has looked great in one on one and 7 on 7. Yesterday’s 7 on 7 was in the red zone.

I think we will see DF in the slot a lot also. We have multiple players who can play almost anywhere. Ebron is great in the slot also. It is going to be fun how we get everyone involved. Right now it looks like we will be lethal.

Yup. I think he'll get a least 30% of snaps from slot. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 40+%. Inman spent 29% of his snaps from slot, and Pascal 26%. If Cain gets PT, and Campbell does play outside, Funch could spend a lot of time inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Yup. I think he'll get a least 30% of snaps from slot. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 40+%. Inman spent 29% of his snaps from slot, and Pascal 26%. If Cain gets PT, and Campbell does play outside, Funch could spend a lot of time inside.

maybe we should trade fountain to the giants since they need Wrs that could probably make the 5th spot much more easier

54 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

maybe we should trade fountain to the giants since they need Wrs that could probably make the 5th spot much more easier

I think it really depends on how the coaches see Fountain. Last year he was just plain raw. He's got a very high upside, but also a low floor. If he's improved a bunch at route running, the Colt's may favor him over a guy like Pascal, who has a higher floor, but lower ceiling. Dulin reminds me a lot of the situation Fountain was in last year (raw and from a small school, but high ceiling). 

I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep 6 to start the season on the 53. And if they only keep 5, I could see them keeping another 2 on the PS while a rook like Campbell proves himself, and while Cain gets to 100%. Then go down to 5 once things settle down.

If they are confident in Cain's recovery, I'd keep Cain and Funch at X, TY at Z, Rogers at slot, and Campbell who will play all over the place. I'd then probably keep 2 on the PS out of Fountain, Dulin, and Pascal. If I were going to try and trade anyone, I'd try to move Pascal probably. He's got enough film/production that teams might bite. I would not trade Rogers as he's a good safety net for multiple things.

• Like 1