Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Player most likely to be cut

Myles

On 4/30/2019 at 11:16 AM, CR91 said:

Sheard- Now I am not advocating for the colts to cut him, but dont be surprised if we do before June 1st. Hes in the last year of his contract and we can save 8 mil by cutting him. If the colts feel comfortable with the young rushers, I can see them doing this.

We're not cutting a productive DE to save money. Why on earth would we need to cut corners when we have that much cap space? Sheard is still productive. Let him stay

On 4/30/2019 at 2:54 PM, MPStack said:

Rogers, currently has a better NFL resume than Cain. Is he a star? Absolutely, not. Does he bring more to the table than Cain at the moment? Yep!

Cain lasted until the 6th Rd for a reason. Now, he’s coming off an ACL injury with only a camp sample of playing time.

There is more depth at the WR position now. 

Hilton, Funchess and Campbell are locks. 

Rogers also brings return experience to the team with 53 receptions, which IMO pretty much guarantees at least to me, that he’ll be on the 53 man roster. 

Cain is going to have to prove a lot to make the opening roster.

Like, I stated earlier, I think he either ends up on the PS or PUP list for a sustained period of time. 

So what's your point? He's gonna have to prove a lot? 

18 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

So having a great camp doesn't earn you a roster spot?

Deon Cain didn't get cut because he is a very high pick (6th round) and not because he had a great camp??

I'm confused

He got injured and didn't finish camp or preseason games.  Do you really not see the difference? He had a brief positive start.  You put him on IR and he's back because we control his rights.  Why wouldn't we see what he had to offer? Maybe he'll come in, out perform everyone on the team and be a hall of famer.  Maybe he'll come in and get smoked by the competition and get cut.  Neither of us know which will happen.  I just don't "assume" he will in the top 4 on the depth chart.  If we believed he would be anything like you seem to think he is, we, or someone, would have drafted him earlier regardless of his drug test.  Someone we draft in the second round is someone we expect to be on the team.  Few teams have the same expectation for guys picked near the end of the draft.  Those are usually simply speculative picks.  Sure, PC could flame out as well, but I doubt they picked him in the second round with any real concern that would happen.  At this point we don't even know for sure Cain won't fail another drug test right?  He has a history after all.   A brief flash and injury before we even played out the preseason games against real NFL talent is too small a picture to assume a top 4 ranking.  It also seems like some people assume I dislike him.  The opposite is true, I actually like him much better than Rogers.  But I can't rank him ahead of Rogers before he proves it.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

We're not cutting a productive DE to save money. Why on earth would we need to cut corners when we have that much cap space? Sheard is still productive. Let him stay

I said don't be surprised. Not saying it'll happen.

46 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think the love of Cain is silly. Until he can prove it on the field he is just another player fighting for a spot.  

Colts media generally won't do pump it up recovery vid series for someone that will struggle to find a spot. IMO, the only thing that would keep him off the team is if rehab takes a bad turn.

Why all the love for him? For several years we have had very poor to mediocre Xs. The reports out of last year's camp were very positive prior to injury so why wouldn't people "hope" and look forward to seeing him play?

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Colts media generally won't do pump it up recovery vid series for someone that will struggle to find a spot. IMO, the only thing that would keep him off the team is if rehab takes a bad turn.

Why all the love for him? For several years we have had very poor to mediocre Xs. The reports out of last year's camp were very positive prior to injury so why wouldn't people "hope" and look forward to seeing him play?

It is one thing to hope to see him play well. We all want that because it gives us another weapon. But people here have said some pretty silly things for a guy who hasn’t played yet then add a injury to that.  BAllard even said he doesn’t know how it will go.

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It is one thing to hope to see him play well. We all want that because it gives us another weapon. But people here have said some pretty silly things for a guy who hasn’t played yet then add a injury to that.  BAllard even said he doesn’t know how it will go.

By all accounts he had locked up starting X over Grant, Inman, Pascal, etc. prior to his injury, and was looking to have good chemistry with Luck. That's enough to get some folks excited. 

36 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

By all accounts he had locked up starting X over Grant, Inman, Pascal, etc. prior to his injury, and was looking to have good chemistry with Luck. That's enough to get some folks excited. 

That still doesn’t tell me anything. It’s fine to be excited. But some of you are s little overboard.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

FYI, not over Inman.  He wasn’t on the team until after Cain was injured.  Over Grant, maybe?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That still doesn’t tell me anything. It’s fine to be excited. But some of you are s little overboard.

Personally I'm optimistically cautious. I know there's no guarantees, but he's our best shot at a well rounded X right now. 

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

He got injured and didn't finish camp or preseason games.  Do you really not see the difference? He had a brief positive start.  You put him on IR and he's back because we control his rights.  Why wouldn't we see what he had to offer? Maybe he'll come in, out perform everyone on the team and be a hall of famer.  Maybe he'll come in and get smoked by the competition and get cut.  Neither of us know which will happen.  I just don't "assume" he will in the top 4 on the depth chart.  If we believed he would be anything like you seem to think he is, we, or someone, would have drafted him earlier regardless of his drug test.  Someone we draft in the second round is someone we expect to be on the team.  Few teams have the same expectation for guys picked near the end of the draft.  Those are usually simply speculative picks.  Sure, PC could flame out as well, but I doubt they picked him in the second round with any real concern that would happen.  At this point we don't even know for sure Cain won't fail another drug test right?  He has a history after all.   A brief flash and injury before we even played out the preseason games against real NFL talent is too small a picture to assume a top 4 ranking.  It also seems like some people assume I dislike him.  The opposite is true, I actually like him much better than Rogers.  But I can't rank him ahead of Rogers before he proves it.  

So, assuming you speak for @MPStack (which, given that he liked your post, can be assumed) you're simply saying we can't assume that he's top 4 on the depth chart? 

The Colts set the depth chart. So therefore if there is strong indication that they are in love with him, then it's reasonable to believe that he's high on the depth chart. Now, whether he'll actually perform is another question, but that's not the question you are posing. You are asking if he's high on the depth chart. In other words, you're asking if the Colts like him, since they set the depth chart. And the answer is objectively, yes. At this point in time, the Colts are optimistic about his potential at this point in time. 

3 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'd be pretty surprised since there is NO reason for the Colts to make any cap saving moves this season.

You do realize we have a lot of players to re-sign next offseason right? AC, Kenny Moore, Ebron, Doyle, Funchess if he pans out

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

You do realize we have a lot of players to re-sign next offseason right? AC, Kenny Moore, Ebron, Doyle, Funchess if he pans out

Sheard is in the last year of his contract.

Cutting him would do nothing for next offseason.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

we're also forecasted to have top 10 salary cap room next year too. i agree though we're not going to spend money just to spend money (long term). but... we have plenty to spend on a 1 or 2 year deal.

5 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Sheard is in the last year of his contract.

Cutting him would do nothing for next offseason.

It would save 8 mil that goes towards the cap which would roll over to next year. Again I will stress this fact, I am NOT saying we cut him. Just that option is there if the colts are fine with our young rushers and wanna save money

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

we're also forecasted to have top 10 salary cap room next year too. i agree though we're not going to spend money just to spend money (long term). but... we have plenty to spend on a 1 or 2 year deal.

If Ebron and Moore ball out again, their gonna want long term contracts and we still don't have another option at LT

40 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If Ebron and Moore ball out again, their gonna want long term contracts and we still don't have another option at LT

we spent more on TE last year than anyone. IMO, doyle is not coming back, which will free up cash. funchess is a long shot IMO too. AC and LT will be addressed in next year's draft. sheard, farley, and rogers will be fighting for their jobs this year. vinny will likely be retire.

if you look at our FAs for 2020, it's not that big of a deal given what we have secured longer term and what we'll likely draft next year.

14 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

we spent more on TE last year than anyone. IMO, doyle is not coming back, which will free up cash. funchess is a long shot IMO too. AC and LT will be addressed in next year's draft. sheard, farley, and rogers will be fighting for their jobs this year. vinny will likely be retire.

if you look at our FAs for 2020, it's not that big of a deal given what we have secured longer term and what we'll likely draft next year.

How? We just spent on Ebron and ut was just 5 mil a year. Im not willing to give up on AC without having a proper replacement. I am not messing with this line.

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How? We just spent on Ebron and ut was just 5 mil a year. Im not willing to give up on AC without having a proper replacement. I am not messing with this line.

look at any of the contract sites on TE. it'll vary by site as we got a break on doyle's IR. we're 3rd for 2019. Ebron was 6.75M, Doyle was 5.3M due to IR.

nobody is saying give up on AC, but i'd bet a lot that we take an OT early next year.

35 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

look at any of the contract sites on TE. it'll vary by site as we got a break on doyle's IR. we're 3rd for 2019. Ebron was 6.75M, Doyle was 5.3M due to IR.

nobody is saying give up on AC, but i'd bet a lot that we take an OT early next year.

Well we're gonna need to pay them again. Doyle is not just a weapon in the receiving game, hes also one of our best blockers and Ebron is basically a big wr. If the colts were looking to replace AC, they would have taken Jawann Taylor. He was right there for the taking twice.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Well we're gonna need to pay them again. Doyle is not just a weapon in the receiving game, hes also one of our best blockers and Ebron is basically a big wr. If the colts were looking to replace AC, they would have taken Jawann Taylor. He was right there for the taking twice.

Taylor doesn't project to LT that's why he fell hes more of a RT 

7 hours ago, BigQungus said:

So, assuming you speak for @MPStack (which, given that he liked your post, can be assumed) you're simply saying we can't assume that he's top 4 on the depth chart? 

The Colts set the depth chart. So therefore if there is strong indication that they are in love with him, then it's reasonable to believe that he's high on the depth chart. Now, whether he'll actually perform is another question, but that's not the question you are posing. You are asking if he's high on the depth chart. In other words, you're asking if the Colts like him, since they set the depth chart. And the answer is objectively, yes. At this point in time, the Colts are optimistic about his potential at this point in time. 

Well, you know what they say about people who "assume" right? You are welcome to quote my statements and hold me accountable for my words.  But to state you "assume" I speak for someone I do not know personally, have never met and know nothing about would be ignorant on your part.  So anytime someone likes one of my posts means I am now their official spokesman? 

It's hard to take you seriously after that level of childish logic.  

There is no official Colts depth chart.  Charts published by media sites are speculative.  You realize that right?  For example, ESPN currently has Hassan Ridgeway still on our team, even though it was updated to include all our draft picks as well as Spencer Ware who another site with a depth chart and roster lists as a Full Back which seems like a departure from his previous usage.  So, nothing you see online matters unless it comes from Reich/Ballard.  If/when they do post an official depth chart list (if they even do that, which I am not sure about), it will be a form letter level of listing, meaning a predetermined logic will be used to list players.  They haven't even met with all of these players, I doubt they have ranked them based on performance yet.  Even the Colts.com site has none of our new players listed, nor does it even list Cain with the 4 receivers it DOES list which are Hilton, Rogers, Pascal and Fountain.  Compliments made mean nothing.  They get asked, they compliment.  Why wouldn't they? Do you think they are giving ANY meaningful information out to media? Do you think they want potential FA's to shy away from us because we've already settled on Cain being #4 on the depth chart or as you claim since they say super nice things about him he's obviously on the team so they should go elsewhere.  

Really? 

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Sheard's contract this year has no bearing on who needs resigned next year, because he would be right there with them with his own expiring contract.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Well, you know what they say about people who "assume" right? You are welcome to quote my statements and hold me accountable for my words.  But to state you "assume" I speak for someone I do not know personally, have never met and know nothing about would be ignorant on your part.  So anytime someone likes one of my posts means I am now their official spokesman? 

It's hard to take you seriously after that level of childish logic.  

There is no official Colts depth chart.  Charts published by media sites are speculative.  You realize that right?  For example, ESPN currently has Hassan Ridgeway still on our team, even though it was updated to include all our draft picks as well as Spencer Ware who another site with a depth chart and roster lists as a Full Back which seems like a departure from his previous usage.  So, nothing you see online matters unless it comes from Reich/Ballard.  If/when they do post an official depth chart list (if they even do that, which I am not sure about), it will be a form letter level of listing, meaning a predetermined logic will be used to list players.  They haven't even met with all of these players, I doubt they have ranked them based on performance yet.  Even the Colts.com site has none of our new players listed, nor does it even list Cain with the 4 receivers it DOES list which are Hilton, Rogers, Pascal and Fountain.  Compliments made mean nothing.  They get asked, they compliment.  Why wouldn't they? Do you think they are giving ANY meaningful information out to media? Do you think they want potential FA's to shy away from us because we've already settled on Cain being #4 on the depth chart or as you claim since they say super nice things about him he's obviously on the team so they should go elsewhere.  

Really? 

Geez, I was just saying that I'm assuming he agrees with you (in other words, you're speaking on behalf of him), since I was originally talking to him and now I'm talking to you, but it appears that you both hold the same opinion, so I can talk to you and him and not worry about which position each one of you hold, which makes it okay to... ugh, never mind. No need to get so huffy about it 

Anyways, what makes you think there is no official depth chart? There is no official depth chart that is RELEASED to the public, but that doesn't mean it's not there entirely. That's like saying an official draft board doesn't exist since it's never released to the public. For all we know, it may not even be released to the team, and only the executives and the coaches know. But it does exist.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So here are my cut predictions:

-Zach Pascal

-Le’Raven Clark

-George Odum

-Chris Milton

-Zaire Franklin

-Ahmad Thomas

-Skai Moore

Sounds very solid! I like Zaire Franklin and Skai Moore, so I'd be sad about that, but you gotta do what you gotta do

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'd be pretty surprised since there is NO reason for the Colts to make any cap saving moves this season.

I wouldn't say there is "NO" reason.  It's still Irsay's money and you don't stay rich by spending when you don't have to.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't say there is "NO" reason.  It's still Irsay's money and you don't stay rich by spending when you don't have to.  

Yes, but you don't make cap-saving moves on a productive player who plays at an important position unless you REALLY have to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Sheard's contract this year has no bearing on who needs resigned next year, because he would be right there with them with his own expiring contract.

Not if you wanna save 8 mil. Seriously guys, im getting tired of repeating myself

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think the love of Cain is silly. Until he can prove it on the field he is just another player fighting for a spot.  

I can see the argument for both sides of the whole Cain/Rogers debate here. You can tell Ballard really likes Cain by the way he talks about him when asked in interviews. On the other hand, Cain really hasn't done anything besides being a camp darling and his one catch in the preseason opener before he was injured. If I were to bet at this juncture, I think Cain ends up on the PUP list and once he's fully healthy the Colts will then have to make that decision on weather he's apart of the 53 man roster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Taylor doesn't project to LT that's why he fell hes more of a RT 

Jack Conklin is hitting FA next year as well if they wanna go that route. Titans are not picking up his option.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Jack Conklin is hitting FA next year as well if they wanna go that route. Titans are not picking up his option.

I thought it was a little surprising that Tenn isn't picking up his 5th year option.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not if you wanna save 8 mil. Seriously guys, im getting tired of repeating myself

I just don't see why they would cut Sheard to save cap money for this season when they have the amount of cap space they have. He's still one of the Colt's best D-Linemen. The move would only make sense if Sheard has regressed dramatically. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I just don't see why they would cut Sheard to save cap money for this season when they have the amount of cap space they have. He's still one of the Colt's best D-Linemen. The move would only make sense if Sheard has regressed dramatically. 

As I mentioned, We have a lot of players that need to be re-signed. AC, Ebron, Doyle, Moore, Funchess if he pans out.