Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign J'marcus Webb

CR91

Its very interesting, and clear that the Colts have a strategy BEFORE the draft

BEFORE the free agency period, I think that we would all agree we had holes at

S, WR, OT, DE

In addition to our own resignings, (OT WEBB, )

We filled

S - Kendrick

WR - Funchess

DE - Houston

OT - Webb (Resign)

These ARE NOT ALL Pros. 

But....... they give us depth that we dont have at key positions of need

They also make us a bit better than the team we ended the year with...... a playoff team that won 10 of last 12 games.

Why is this important?

We can TRULY draft BPA in our draft

I hope people can see this strategy in the works ....... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

S, WR, OT, DE

We filled

S - Kendrick

WR - Funchess

DE - Houston

OT - Webb (Resign)

These ARE NOT ALL Pros. 

They also make us a bit better than the team we ended the year with...... a playoff team that won 10 of last 12 games.

Why is this important?

I agree, it truly seems as if it allows them to maximize their options in the draft.  Btw, Mike Curtis was a heck of a player!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

S, WR, OT, DE

We filled

S - Kendrick

WR - Funchess

DE - Houston

OT - Webb (Resign)

These ARE NOT ALL Pros. 

Why is this important?

I don't know if we had holes in those positions per say, but we could definitely upgrade. Imo, we still need two players on the dline, a wr to groom in case Funchess doesn't pan out, and another olineman for depth and or to replace AC. 

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't know if we had holes in those positions per say, but we could definitely upgrade. Imo, we still need two players on the dline, a wr to groom in case Funchess doesn't pan out, and another olineman for depth and or to replace AC. 

Why does everyone want to get rid of AC. He is so important to this team and Luck. If we can get him signed for another 3 years that will be perfect. Sticking a unproven guy at LT when we are so close to being a SB team doesn’t seem very smart.

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Why does everyone want to get rid of AC. He is so important to this team and Luck. If we can get him signed for another 3 years that will be perfect. Sticking a unproven guy at LT when we are so close to being a SB team doesn’t seem very smart.

Hold on. I didn't mean getting rid of AC. I mean't down the line. I fully expect us to extend him

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Offensive lineman for depth I can see.  Drafting AC's replacement is years away IMO.  He is still a great player.  His replacement will more likely be a 1st. or 2nd. rd. pick. down the road. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So if our elder statesman AC goes down YOUR replacement is who?
Adding a good prospect to develop now makes sense if they don't believe Clark is up to it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Offensive lineman for depth I can see.  Drafting AC's replacement is years away IMO.  He is still a great player.  His replacement will more likely be a 1st. or 2nd. rd. pick. down the road. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Ballard drafts a LT in the 2nd round.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

So if our elder statesman AC goes down YOUR replacement is who?
Adding a good prospect to develop now makes sense if they don't believe Clark is up to it.

AC replacement like stated above is going to be a first or second round pick when that happens.  I have no problem drafting a depth guy in case he goes down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

AC replacement like stated above is going to be a first or second round pick when that happens.  I have no problem drafting a depth guy in case he goes down.

Ballard preaches the trenches so I do think he drafts on both sides of the ball early.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

My point really is that you can see an actual strategy in play

We have a good team

We are a LITTLE better, on paper than we were the last game of the season

WITH the draft........ and some growth in rookies from last year we should be better

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Who wants to get rid of AC?

We need quality DEPTH behind AC at LT.

The OL was a disaster last year, when AC was out

AC is getting near a new contract, and could very well command HUGE $$$$

We MIGHT NOT opt to pay HUGE $$$

Remember .... average OTs are making stupid money in FA.... better to develop your own

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard preaches the trenches so I do think he drafts on both sides of the ball early.

I think he starts EVERY sentence with 

"Gotta build the lines"

He mutters in his sleep

ZZZZZZ ......."Gotta build the lines"........ ZZZZZZ

Maybe its just me..... but I think..... he wants to build the lines

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, CR91 said:

A hole to me is a depth issue as well

If some of our starters at key positions go down, we are slim on quality backups to contribute at near the same level

Its the NFL....... Injuries happen...... part of the game

These FA pickups help this cause

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think he starts EVERY sentence with 

"Gotta build the lines"

He mutters in his sleep

ZZZZZZ ......."Gotta build the lines"........ ZZZZZZ

Maybe its just me..... but I think..... he wants to build the lines

As a person with an OL background I love it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

S, WR, OT, DE

We filled

S - Kendrick

WR - Funchess

DE - Houston

OT - Webb (Resign)

These ARE NOT ALL Pros. 

Why is this important?

How do we have a hole at safety when we just resigned Geathers unless your speaking of depth. 

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

How do we have a hole at safety when we just resigned Geathers unless your speaking of depth. 

I think we MAY see an early pick used on a difference maker SS

The good thing is..... we are a little stronger at S BECAUSE of the Kendrick signing, and the Geathers resigning..... even if we DONT go S in the draft

We used 3 safeties on the field at the same time last year a few times.......  

55 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Ballard drafts a LT in the 2nd round.

To be 100% honest..... if the right OL slide to the 26th spot..... CB MIGHT pull the trigger

Lets be specific

I HIGHLY doubt that any of the 3 will be available at 26

But, if OTs - J Williams, Dillard, or J. Taylor somehow slid to 26th he MIGHT choose them........... 

Some people project Williams as a guard, but he did an EXCELLENT job at LT against some great SEC DEs.... he DOMINATED every game that I saw

29 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

A hole to me is a depth issue as well

If some of our starters at key positions go down, we are slim on quality backups to contribute at near the same level

Its the NFL....... Injuries happen...... part of the game

These FA pickups help this cause

Just talkin' here about the O-Line, it makes sense that a big reason to add Mudd to the staff was to help evaluate who we have, and to do the same with draft prospects.
 I am hoping one more year of develpment turns Clark into a capable Starter at LT.

Never give up. lol
 And AC is now a solid LT, but if i could add a LT this year from pick 59 that could replace him in 2020 at less than $1M per year, that could be a good thing long term.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Hooker and Geathers are injury prone. The good news is they are healthy going into the off season for the first time in awhile. Not rehabbing or surgeries. So hopefully that means they will stay healthy the entire season. I do think we need to draft a safety who can come in and start. Not sure if Geathers  will even be here in 2020.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

To be 100% honest..... if the right OL slide to the 26th spot..... CB MIGHT pull the trigger

I don’t think he will, but a depth pick at LT a bit later in the draft for a guy with great potential but not quite ready is a real possibility. I agree AC is our guy now and hopefully for the next few years. But if he gets injured the options are pretty slim. That’s why you build quality depth..... to keep the team cruising even when a key guy goes down. Look for a LT option to be selected late Day 2 or early Day 3. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I don’t think he will, but a depth pick at LT a bit later in the draft for a guy with great potential but not quite ready is a real possibility. I agree AC is our guy now and hopefully for the next few years. But if he gets injured the options are pretty slim. That’s why you build quality depth..... to keep the team cruising even when a key guy goes down. Look for a LT option to be selected late Day 2 or early Day 3. 

That is exactly what I would do. Then by the time AC retires or we decide to move on we have a guy that is ready to be a starter.

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just talkin' here about the O-Line, it makes sense that a big reason to add Mudd to the staff was to help evaluate who we have, and to do the same with draft prospects.
 I am hoping one more year of develpment turns Clark into a capable Starter at LT.

Never give up. lol
 And AC is now a solid LT, but if i could add a LT this year from pick 59 that could replace him in 2020 at less than $1M per year, that could be a good thing long term.

:agree:- We seen the difference of how this O-line played without AC in the lineup. They played good without him but they played great with him.  It wouldn't make me mad at all for Ballard to draft a LT early if he thinks he is a long term player.

Like you said, Just talkin.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hoose said:

If AC gets injured I think they have Webb in mind for this year.  Clark was supposed to be a developmental tackle when we took him in the 3rd. Rd.  He's pretty much flamed out.  LT is an extremely important position.  I think the good ones go in the 1st rd. maybe you get lucky in the 2nd.  If Ballard is thinking about extending him it really makes no sense to take one early this year unless an outstanding prospect falls.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

unless an outstanding prospect falls.  

1000% agree

I dont believe that we will go OL in round one

Unless one of the 3 OTs slide that way

With the holes filled at least partially we dont have to go position of need

We can get that better DE,DT,LB,S,WR, TE or OL that might be sitting there

Please notice, I left ONE group off.... the Cornerbacks

There are people that get up in arms on this board if you even mention that this team values man to man coverage CBs a little less than other teams........

Thats an opinion of course (Just like mine... which isnt worth much)

On draft day we will see what happens

I still havent had ANYONE take me up on my offer of 4 to 1 on whether we take a CB in round one or not this year...... maybe someone will have courage and conviction 

Antonio Garcia, remember the name. Very highly touted LT coming into the 2017 draft, picked in 3rd round by the Pats than developed blood Colts on his lungs. Lost 40 lbs and wasnt allowed any physical contact, now over a year removed for the situation with his body completely healed and his weight back on look for him to complete his comeback and give the squad depth they need and possibly much more going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

What 2 positions on dline?   

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If AC gets injured I think they have Webb in mind for this year.  Clark was supposed to be a developmental tackle when we took him in the 3rd. Rd.  He's pretty much flamed out.  LT is an extremely important position.  I think the good ones go in the 1st rd. maybe you get lucky in the 2nd.  If Ballard is thinking about extending him it really makes no sense to take one early this year unless an outstanding prospect falls.  

Which will then impact whether or not Ballard even wants to extend AC after the draft.

Like the re-signing assuming the contract was reasonable. He's very solid depth. 

I'd love to see the Colts take a chance and use a late round pick on Tyler Roemer. If he can keep his head screwed straight, I think he'll be a stud. I keep confusing him with Pope, the other T from SDSt, who'd be a decent depth guy as an UDFA.