Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis to plead guilty to 2017 DUI

CR91

33 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Also if you look at the BAC it was .057. Stil below limit, but was not able to pass why he failed.

This doesn’t new to turn into a discussion thread, I am in law enforcement so I have experience with this.

You can be charged with DUI/OWI an be under the legal

limit from a variety of circumstances when under 0.08.

Usually it is a combination of alcohol and medication that can cause a person to be more disorieanted than usual and therefore unsafe to drive.

The data master (Breath test) number doesn’t have to be over .08 in these situations.

Mathis is taking care of everything he needs to. The legal process takes a while. Sounds like he is on the right track.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

This doesn’t new to turn into a discussion thread, I am in law enforcement so I have experience with this.

You can be charged with DUI/OWI an be under the legal

limit from a variety of circumstances when under 0.08.

Usually it is a combination of alcohol and medication that can cause a person to be more disorieanted than usual and therefore unsafe to drive.

The data master (Breath test) number doesn’t have to be over .08 in these situations.

Mathis is taking care of everything he needs to. The legal process takes a while. Sounds like he is on the right track.

I know you can be charged still. I was saying he was still under legal limit as more to say he wasn't out though pounding a ton of drinks still thought it was smart to drive. Could've drinked a drink and the medicine mix is what made him feel the effects like you said. It was still stupid of him to go and drive when he still probably wasn't feeling right, but the fact it was under is more understanding that he wasn't drinking a ton and still stupid enough to think he was sober.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I know you can be charged still. I was saying he was still under legal limit as more to say he wasn't out though pounding a ton of drinks still thought it was smart to drive. Could've drinked a drink and the medicine mix is what made him feel the effects like you said. It was still stupid of him to go and drive when he still probably wasn't feeling right, but the fact it was under is more understanding that he wasn't drinking a ton and still stupid enough to think he was sober.

My apologies I misunderstood your post. I agree.

Let's just be glad no one got hurt.  Mistakes happen, sometimes they cause tragic things to occur.  Sometimes we're lucky that people are watching out, trying to stop it before harm happens.  As for it taking so long, he's a rich guy and rich guys have attorneys who know how to mitigate timing and get the least harmful result for their client.  It all seems par for the course.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Let's just be glad no one got hurt.  Mistakes happen, sometimes they cause tragic things to occur.  Sometimes we're lucky that people are watching out, trying to stop it before harm happens.  As for it taking so long, he's a rich guy and rich guys have attorneys who know how to mitigate timing and get the least harmful result for their client.  It all seems par for the course.  

I mostly agree, but 2 years for a plea bargain on a minor DUI charge is still too long.   Typically these go through in weeks, if not days.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

2 years to plead to a misdemeanor isn't par for the course

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Uh, think he was sober?
 The report said he didn't know where he was at, and totally uncoordinated.
 That would mean he was a great danger to society.
  Darn right he needed to delay, delay, delay. He needed to be a choir boy and do lot's of community service before the judge got a hold of him.
 Especially if the judge handling his case has a reputation of being Hard on this type of case.
 An old friend specializes in this. I have never needed him!  :thmup:

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Uh, think he was sober?
  Darn right he needed to delay, delay, delay. He needed to be a choir boy and do lot's of community service before the judge got a hold of him.
 Especially if the judge handling his case has a reputation of being Hard on this type of case.

It was a misdemeanor.    No judge was going to hammer a first offender.    

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Uh, think he was sober?

I said thinking he was sober, he could have assumed since he didnt drink a lot he was sober. And not knowing where you are at and being uncoordinated doesn't mean you are drunk. I have certainly not known where I was and not walking right completely sober haha. 

Yes dangerous of him, but not as stupidly dangerous as someone that is above limit.

And as someone else pointed out it was misdemeanor not felony, which changes the guidlines. 

On 3/7/2019 at 10:22 AM, Myles said:

I mostly agree, but 2 years for a plea bargain on a minor DUI charge is still too long.   Typically these go through in weeks, if not days.   

Myles, we're discussing 2 different things.  Sure, it COULD have gone faster.  But it seems clear that Mathis did not WANT it to go fast.  So his attorney worked it so that it would drag out for 2 years.  Make no mistake, that is the result they WANTED or it would have been finished in due course.  I was on a murder trial where the defendant RUSHED the trial.  After the verdict was rendered (a fairly famous case in Central Indiana, the murder and car theft of a pizza delivery man in Indianapolis) the judge asked to speak to me in Chambers and told me that the reason the trial had gone forward before the DNA tests from a palm print and other items found inside the car had the results come back were because the defendant (who we found guilty) hadn't wanted it to wait for obvious reasons. 

(Side note: In Indiana, for those who don't know, the JURY can ask any and every witness any questions it wants to during a trial, something I didn't know until I was ON the jury.  Ironically in that case, it was aggressive questions by the jury, myself included, which led us later to convict.  I also learned about the sad state of the Prosecution AND Defense in the case, it seemed neither were doing much more than going through the motions but I digress...) 

Bottom line, the accused can often steer how fast or slow a trial happens (as is our mutual right in the Constitution) and to me, it is clear Mathis WANTED it slow walked for his own reasons.  

17 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Myles, we're discussing 2 different things.  Sure, it COULD have gone faster.  But it seems clear that Mathis did not WANT it to go fast.  So his attorney worked it so that it would drag out for 2 years.  Make no mistake, that is the result they WANTED or it would have been finished in due course.  I was on a murder trial where the defendant RUSHED the trial.  After the verdict was rendered (a fairly famous case in Central Indiana, the murder and car theft of a pizza delivery man in Indianapolis) the judge asked to speak to me in Chambers and told me that the reason the trial had gone forward before the DNA tests from a palm print and other items found inside the car had the results come back were because the defendant (who we found guilty) hadn't wanted it to wait for obvious reasons. 

(Side note: In Indiana, for those who don't know, the JURY can ask any and every witness any questions it wants to during a trial, something I didn't know until I was ON the jury.  Ironically in that case, it was aggressive questions by the jury, myself included, which led us later to convict.  I also learned about the sad state of the Prosecution AND Defense in the case, it seemed neither were doing much more than going through the motions but I digress...) 

Bottom line, the accused can often steer how fast or slow a trial happens (as is our mutual right in the Constitution) and to me, it is clear Mathis WANTED it slow walked for his own reasons.  

If he was gonna plead not guilty it would make since.   He waited two years,   which means he hasn't had a driver's licence for two years.   This is far from normal,  and not close on comparison to a murder case

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he was gonna plead not guilty it would make since.   He waited two years,   which means he hasn't had a driver's licence for two years.   This is far from normal,  and not close on comparison to a murder case

The point is it went as fast (or in this case, as SLOW) as he WANTED it to go.  He might have had a wide range of reasons.  Maybe it affected a job opportunity.  Maybe he wanted the verdict to come out farther away from his playing career for any number of reasons.  If someone wants to pay a high priced attorney to slow walk something, in most cases, they can and will do it.  We'll never know WHY he chose it, but we do know he certainly didn't push for his constitutional right to a speedy trial, so it appears he was comfortable with the timing. 

I am also curious as to why you even care? 

And I think Mathis can afford a driver when he needs one, so that's not an issue either.