Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ndamukong Suh

Seems to be some buzz that the Rams may let him walk, and the Colts could be a potential suitor. Sounds interesting, but not sure I am too excited about a 30+ year interior defensive linemen who would probably need to pull top dollar to come. If we are going to pay top dollar for someone, I would rather see if any of the other top inside guys (like Jarrett) hit the market. I would definitely be willing to spend the big bucks for someone like that. Thoughts?

Hard pass for me. Like a really hard pass. If he was next to Aaron Donald most of the season and still didn't produce highly even though he was seeing way less double teams and wasn't the focus on the defense then it shows me hes passed his prime. I would just rater bring back Woods and draft a DT high or sign Jarrett.

• Like 2

I mean...Suh is definitely getting up there in age. But Ballard signed both Al Woods and Margus Hunt to two-year deals when they were heading into their age 30 seasons. And they are role players...not a potential HOFer.

And when you are a competitive team...you have the luxury of plugging in players like Suh for a year. Ballard has stated his goal for a deep, talented OL...so Suh would certainly help that in the short term.

People want to give Grady Jarrett a monster contract. I don't see a huge difference in production between the two. Jarrett is definitely the better bet to produce over the next few years...but he's also going to be incredibly expensive.

Suh has had issues on the field. But those were years ago. I have never heard anything about him being a bad teammate or locker room presence.

That said, Gerald McCoy is the guy that I (and Ballard) want.

TB is switching to a 3-4 and have little cap space available. So as soon as TB releases him (doubt they find a willing trade partner at this current contract), the Colts should be all over him. I would be willing to toss a late round pick if they could negotiate his deal.

He's still productive...and fits the defense. Should be able to provide 6-7 sacks and ~20 QB hits over the next couple of seasons.

But also, he fits the locker room and would be a great vet presence for the other young DL players on the roster. Apparently last summer he was mentoring other young DL players on TB (even roster bubble guys)...even staying after practice. Apparently he didn't have that guidance inside the building when he was young...so he wants other guys to have it.

Just seems like the type of guy that Ballard would go after. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, twfish said:

Hard pass for me. Like a really hard pass. If he was next to Aaron Donald most of the season and still didn't produce highly even though he was seeing way less double teams and wasn't the focus on the defense then it shows me hes passed his prime. I would just rater bring back Woods and draft a DT high or sign Jarrett.

I think you might be dismissing his impact way too much when you look at the fact of Aaron Donald having 20 Sacks last year.  That's double the production he normally had.  Before Suh,  Aaron Donald usually got about 10 Sacks.  Not to mention that Wade Phillips usually employs a 3-4 defense and Suh has always played in a 4-3.  I'm sure he had to do some things in that defense he doesn't normally do.  You can't tell me Suh didn't have a sizeable impact.  I can see that just in looking at Donalds production alone..    Suhs age is a concern to me, but I'd be okay if they could make some adjustments on the dollar figures.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I'd probably pass...he pretty  much coasted through the regular season before actually playing to his usual potential in the playoffs....but I'm still trying to figure out how they were so bad against the run...was it the line or the linebackers not doing their job?

I think that could have more do with Wade Phillips and the scheme. In 2017, the LAR were the #9 defense...yet #26 against the run. In 2016, DEN was the #1 defense...but #23 against the run.

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That said, Gerald McCoy is the guy that I (and Ballard) want.

TB is switching to a 3-4 and have little cap space available. So as soon as TB releases him (doubt they find a willing trade partner at this current contract), the Colts should be all over him. I would be willing to toss a late round pick if they could negotiate his deal.

He's still productive...and fits the defense. Should be able to provide 6-7 sacks and ~20 QB hits over the next couple of seasons.

But also, he fits the locker room and would be a great vet presence for the other young DL players on the roster. Apparently last summer he was mentoring other young DL players on TB (even roster bubble guys)...even staying after practice. Apparently he didn't have that guidance inside the building when he was young...so he wants other guys to have it.

Just seems like the type of guy that Ballard would go after. 

Mcoy aint bad either.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think you'd have to be dismissing his impact way too much when you look at the fact of Aaron Donald having 20 Sacks last year.  That's double the production he normally had.  Before Suh Aaron Donald usually got about 10 Sacks.  Not to mention that Wade Phillips usually employs a 3-4 defense and Suh has always played in a 4-3.  I'm sure he had to do some things in that defense he doesn't normally do.  You can't tell me Suh didn't have a sizeable impact.  I can see that just in looking at Donalds production alone..

Great points. I think it's probably fair to say Suh makes players around him better. But it's also probably fair to say he's not the elite force he once was.

So a contract would have to make sense from a financial standpoint. I do think that winning a Super Bowl is important to him, at this stage in his career. And the Colts run a defense that would utilize him well.

I am not against Suh...but I really want McCoy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Great points. I think it's probably fair to say Suh makes players around him better. But it's also probably fair to say he's not the elite force he once was.

So a contract would have to make sense from a financial standpoint. I do think that winning a Super Bowl is important to him, at this stage in his career. And the Colts run a defense that would utilize him well.

I wish we could have them both! LOL

Mcoy could be the 3 tech and Suh could play Al Woods spot.   Probably not feasible though due to age and other stuff.  I could be wrong. Just pipe dreaming.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

What’s the potential on getting both? We have the cap space, we know that Suh is a 1-2 yr deal guy and both of them could play at the same time, correct? Neither are going to get long term deals. This would free up drafting a WR, CB,S or even TE at 26. Truly BPA 

im just throwing the question out, could we get both and can they play at the same time or are they both the same role player? Idk 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

What’s the potential on getting both? We have the cap space, we know that Suh is a 1-2 yr deal guy and both of them could play at the same time, correct? Neither are going to get long term deals. This would free up drafting a WR, CB,S or even TE at 26. Truly BPA 

im just throwing the question out, could we get both and can they play at the same time or are they both the same role player? Idk 

I honestly don't know. Maybe Ballard would be open to it. I think, in that case, he won't want to have too many snaps committed to older vet players if he can help it.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wish we could have them both! LOL

Mcoy could be the 3 tech and Suh could play Al Woods spot.   Probably not feasible though due to age and other stuff.  I could be wrong. Just pipe dreaming.

Would be so cool to have those two next to each other. 

If we are going to ever do it... now is the time. I don't necessarily like his antics on the field, but much like Q brings to the offense, I'd love the nastiness he would bring to the defensive side of the ball. Could be a gamechanger for 2-3 years and then let him walk when it's time to start paying our own. 

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not going to happen.

Colts don't have much history of bringing High profile/High paid players.

Well we did go get fat slob, lazy Corey Simon in 05 and then went after and picked up Booger for 06. We’ve also went after big guns Landry and we brought in over aged WR Johnson and Hakeem Nicks.  It’s not that we haven’t done it, we just haven’t been successful at it. I would be all for being these 2 in, they shouldn’t be guys that are getting top 3 pay, mainly because of age. I’m all for paying thema well compensated package but I’m not giving either one 3 year deal, or at least a deal I can’t get out of after the 2nd year without cap hinderence.