Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad72 Pre-Combine Mock

This is a darn good mock. Can you fill me in on Wilson? I have done hardly any scouting on LB’s, because I just don’t see that area of personnel needing as much of an upgrade compared to others. I wouldn’t be opposed, as I love the LB position, I’m not not sure I fully know enough to say one way or the other here.

10 minutes ago, Exodus said:

This is a darn good mock. Can you fill me in on Wilson? I have done hardly any scouting on LB’s, because I just don’t see that area of personnel needing as much of an upgrade compared to others. I wouldn’t be opposed, as I love the LB position, I’m not not sure I fully know enough to say one way or the other here.

This is one of those articles:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/1/25/18189753/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-mack-wilson-lb-alabama

His 2017 tape is better than his 2018 tape though his 2018 tape is still very good. There are always going to be some weaknesses in any player drafted that late in the first round. However, our coverage vs TEs and RBs was downright bad against the elite teams. If we are going to get past the Chiefs and Patriots, we need someone with the sideline-to-sideline speed that can keep up and this guy can.

Here is another article that will give you enough critical points as well. Like I said, everyone that late in the first round will have flaws:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/2/8/18199141/2019-nfl-draft-prospects-alabama-ilb-mack-wilson-definitely-has-the-sauce-steelers-team-needs

Love the idea of getting of Mack Wilson...especially if he slips the 2nd round.

Nothing wrong with a zag when everyone’s zigging...especially when we are talking about a guy that is 1-2 at his position. Even in last year’s stacked LB class, I think Wilson would have likely gone round 1.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

WTH, everyone is doing a mock, so I might as well get in with the fun :) 

Round 1 Pick 26: Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2", 238 - To me, a first rounder needs to have a high floor and needs to be able to help the team more quickly than other round picks, and have a ceiling to be a Pro Bowl/All Pro player as well. Mack Wilson is that to me. Has the instincts and quickness in pass coverage to make plays, can play the run well enough, has good football IQ, and was extremely well coached at Alabama. Given how Alabama ILBs have done in the NFL, he would be, IMO, no doubt one of the safest picks at that point in the first round and bolster our front 7 instantly.

Round 2 Pick 34: Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame, 6'7", 305 - I know what was discussed about his stomping incident and other questions. I am sure Ballard and his scouts will address those. I look at Margus Hunt and Denico Autry, 2 DTs with length that are very effective in the stunts that Eberflus loves to employ. Dre' Mont Jones' leverage is a huge liability for me in the run game and his wingspan is not the same as Jerry for our system, that is why I do not think the Colts would consider him and go with Jerry instead for the middle. As much as Notre Dame lost to Clemson, they still played Clemson better than Alabama, IMO. Second year in a row we come away with a Domer. 

Round 2 Pick 59: JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford, 6'3", 225 - This might be the Alshon Jeffery pick all over for Ballard. He is not a burner but Ballard wants to make the Patriots-Colts thing a rivalry. I look at big games that the Patriots have lost recently - guys that have given them issues seem to be guys like Alshon Jeffery of the Eagles, Corey Davis of the Titans, and heck even Donte Moncrief of the Colts and Plaxico Burress of the Giants have given issues for the Patriots with their size in the end zone that can box out and make contested catches. This guy will be the right pick for the Colts. He may not be the fastest but will operate with a lot of heart and contest well on the field.

Round 3 Pick 90: Amani Hooker, S, Iowa, 6'0", 210 - the NFL is trending towards safeties that can play at least dime linebacker and this guy can do that. He improved considerably this last season at Iowa and is well coached.

Round 4 Pick 123: Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock, 6'2", 218 lbs - Good combination of strength and quickness, will serve well as a between the tackles runner for us.

Round 4, Compensatory Pick: Daylon Mack, NT, Texas A & M, 6'1", 335 - Daylon Mack is a nose tackle with his big size and frame. He also has a really good first step. Mack can stand up interior offensive linemen, especially when he plays with leverage. As a run defender, Mack really stands out, but he leaves you wanting as a pass rusher, but he can push the interior of the pocket.

Round 5, Pick No. 154 - Blace Brown, CB, Troy, 6'0", 183 - Folks love his ball skills but his size will drop him a little but he can definitely ball

Round 6, No. 187 - L.J. Collier, DE, TCU, 6'4", 276 - He is what we call a developmental rotational DE with upside.

Round 7, No. 218 - William Sweet, OT, North Carolina, 6'7", 300 - projects as a swing tackle and that is what I feel we will draft in this draft, not a future starter

Best mock yet IMO! Wouldn't expect anything less from you Chad. 

2 hours ago, twfish said:

I like the whole draft aside from your first pick. I'm just not a huge fan of spending a high pick at a position I think we are pretty stout at. If hes BPA then I'm for it but I doubt that's going to be the case

I just don't think we are stout, that is where I differ. Our coverage vs TEs and RBs showed up in a bad way vs the Patriots and Chiefs, plus we can point out more games if we looked them up exposing what we had at our LB position other than Leonard. A 5th or 6th best DT may not be as good as a 2nd best ILB at worst, and like you said he might end up being BPA at that point. Like any other mock, it is a guesstimate.  :)

• Like 1

I like the mock, with one caveat and replacement

Whiteside was a great college red zone target made some great catches on 50/50 balls, but the guys seems to get minimal separation from college CBs

If he has a 4.4 to 4.5 40........  He could be a player for us

If he runs a 4.55 to 4.6, he will have some difficult times in the NFL

At that spot there may be a guy like Butler still available

IF..... IF we go with this approach we STILL need an edge rusher (or two) from FA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like the mock, with one caveat and replacement

Whiteside was a great college red zone target made some great catches on 50/50 balls, but the guys seems to get minimal separation from college CBs

If he has a 4.4 to 4.5 40........  He could be a player for us

If he runs a 4.55 to 4.6, he will have some difficult times in the NFL

At that spot there may be a guy like Butler still available

IF..... IF we go with this approach we STILL need an edge rusher (or two) from FA

No doubt I’m considering Butler over Whiteside if Butler is there. I just think Butler will test better than Whiteside, which is my gut feeling due to which Whiteside might be available and not Butler. Should have explained it more. You probably know I’m a big fan of Hakeem too. 

Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7??? for his 40 but no one could get the ball out of his hands, he was a big part of Flacco winning his SB with key catches vs Patriots too, we need one of those contested catch guys with high catch rate.

Yes, having drafted Turay and Lewis, adding an edge rusher in FA would make us more flexible with the draft, no doubt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, waka waka said:

Blace would be a good DB to add he reminds me of a taller version of Kenny Moore. he can play off ball/ press/ slot/ some safety and shows up in run support. if he's there in the 6th round I'd be shocked and excited about that pick. 

Thats why I got him in the 5th. :)