Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Warren Sharp on how McVay was outcoached

Superman

I know it was the Rams offense that lost this, but I just find it comical Tom Brady was looking to Edelman as his first read and the Rams were oblivious to it. On one play, Romo even mentioned they put a LB on Edelman!

Edelman should have been priority #1, NOT Gronk. Gronk is not the same player he once was due to injuries. Not to take away from Gronk's awesome catch late in the game, but the Rams should have forced Gronk to prove he can be a consistent threat by challenging him to make catches in simple 1-on-1 man coverage.

Gronk is slow and needs extra time to get downfield, which would have given the Rams d-line more time to get after Brady. Cover the shifty guys, like Edelman and Hogan first, then worry about Gronk later. If Gronk puts up numbers, only then do you start double teaming him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I know it was the Rams offense that lost this, but I just find it comical Tom Brady was looking to Edelman as his first read and the Rams were oblivious to it. On one play, Romo even mentioned they put a LB on Edelman!

Edelman should have been priority #1, NOT Gronk. Gronk is not the same player he once was due to injuries. Not to take away from Gronk's awesome catch late in the game, but the Rams should have given Gronk a chance to prove he can be a consistent threat and not assume he's a threat on every play.

Gronk is slow and needs extra time to get downfield, which would have given the Rams d-line more time to get after Brady. Cover the shifty guys, like Edelman and Hogan, then worry about the deep threats later.

You make valid points. 

But just want to say to those that Don't believe in game rigging(especially pats) just remember this for future reference.

Whenever you as a Fan appear smarter than the coaches(especially coaches playing pats) and their playcalling a RED FLAG SHOULD GO UP. 

Coaches should know how to gameplan Better than us Fans. And they do know better But look stupid because they are suppose to look stupid to lose(especially against patriots).

What a surprise the cheaters didn't get the Rams best effort. :sarcasm:

I think they should have trotted out 2 TEs constantly than 3 WRs. Belichick found out his offense wasn't working with 1 TE and 1 FB, so he went big and forced the Rams to go big the second half. Gerald Everett had 20 lbs on Josh Reynolds. McVay did that against the Cardinals and 49ers and CJ ran amok, so why he didn't do that vs this Patriots' game plan is a mystery to me. Put him out there, and force the Patriots to bring an additional safety to the box by staying balanced with the pass and run. They also needed to put 2 RBs vs the Patriots because the Patriots' LBs weaknesses have been pass coverage vs RBs. That is what the Eagles did with Corey Clement to get lots of chunk yardage last SB. That is why the Chiefs and Colts would move the ball against the Patriots because of the infusion of pass catching RBs and multiple TEs that would stress that defense. 

Once they lost Cooper Kupp, their 3 WR formation effectiveness went down also because of Kupp's ability to diagnose Ds and Josh's inability to as a slot wide out. Wade Philips called a very good game to limit the Patriots, IMO, but the Rams' offense eventually reduced the efficiency of their defense with not staying on the field.

Outside the tackle runs (runs like what the Falcons did for 3 quarters in their SB with tosses, something CJ did in that OT win vs the Patriots as a Bronco in 2015 on SNF as well), 2 TE formations to pass and run out of those instead of 3 WR formations, using pass catching RBs vs LBs etc. would all have been options.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Coaches should know how to gameplan Better than us Fans. And they do know better But look stupid because they are suppose to look stupid to lose(especially against patriots).

The problem is the coaches are out-thinking themselves. The Falcons kept throwing the ball late when they should have been running to chew clock, the Seahawks didn't run it with Lynche at the 1-yd line, the Colts did that bone-headed special teams play that they forgot to have everyone practice for, the list goes on.

At some point, common-sense has to prevail. The fans have that going for them; the coaches do not. For example, in the Russell INT, the theory is the coaches didn't want Lynche to have the ball because management didn't like him. In that case, the coaches gave up on X's and O's. I don't know of too many Seahawks fans who would say, "Don't give the game-winning ball to Lynche because he's a jerk."

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Outside the tackle runs (runs like what the Falcons did for 3 quarters in their SB with tosses, something CJ did in that OT win vs the Patriots as a Bronco in 2015 on SNF as well), 2 TE formations to pass and run out of those instead of 3 WR formations, using pass catching RBs vs LBs etc. would all have been options.

Running out of 11 personnel worked, they just didn't do enough of it.

To me, the gameplan needed to be running out of 11, and play action out of 11, and basically nothing else. Sharp's breakdown shows they also could have relied heavily on passing out of 12, which is fine.

Tempo was another thing, they should have been going quick, but hardly ever did, which I think played into the Patriots gameplan with late clock adjustments. You want to beat amoeba defense? Snap the ball quick, catch them out of position, and force them to get set early in the clock. 

I hated the Rams' gameplan, and I complained about it all game long. Goff was awful, but I think McVay was just as bad, and that's setting aside whatever was going on with Gurley. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

To me, the gameplan needed to be running out of 11, and play action out of 11, and basically nothing else. Sharp's breakdown shows they also could have relied heavily on passing out of 12, which is fine.

Tempo was another thing, they should have been going quick, but hardly ever did, which I think played into the Patriots gameplan with late clock adjustments. You want to beat amoeba defense? Snap the ball quick, catch them out of position, and force them to get set early in the clock. 

I hated the Rams' gameplan, and I complained about it all game long. Goff was awful, but I think McVay was just as bad, and that's setting aside whatever was going on with Gurley. 

I think it was the Redskins' amoeba D that Peyton played against in 2010, and he snapped the ball quick and ran Addai/Mike Hart a lot in 2010, for 170 yards on 28 carries, that is 6 YPC. I also remember Peyton (in America's Game after winning SB) borrowing a page out of Brady's book when Brady went no huddle vs the Jets in the 2006 wild card to deal with the pre-snap heavy motion the Jets had in amoeba formation, he did that vs Ravens several times in the divisional round to force them to show their hand quicker. 

Sometimes, it helps to be an OC in the booth to not get caught up in the moment with a young QB. It would be another thing if it was an experienced QB, you would need his feedback more but with a young QB, McVay needed to direct more, IMO. 

Sometimes, I would never understand why Peyton called runs on a 3rd and 6 but when he saw certain things, he'd know that if a certain blocking was done right, there were chunks to be had and suddenly the offense would gain 10 plus running the ball on a 3rd and 6. It took Peyton several years to get to that level and I am hoping Luck will be hitting his stride now for the next step. Same with Reich - he needs to be less predictable on 3rd and 3 / 3rd and 4 and probably trust his run blocking every now and then.

Like Peyton, Luck started 0-6 vs the Patriots and then pulled off 3 in a row against them in 2005 and 2006. I am hoping for the same. :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I think they avoided fast tempo bc they couldn't sustain drives but Pats were, at least much better than them. McVay didn't want to gas his D like had happened to many Pats opponents in recent seasons.

6 hours ago, Finball said:

I think they avoided fast tempo bc they couldn't sustain drives but Pats were, at least much better than them. McVay didn't want to gas his D like had happened to many Pats opponents in recent seasons.

Sure would have fooled me with how often the Rams were going 3-and-out. It's a miracle both defenses played as well as they did.

9 hours ago, Finball said:

So this is something Reich said after the KC game, that they wanted to go no-huddle and increase tempo, but they couldn't get a first down. You just helped me understand what he meant -- if you increase tempo but don't get first downs, you're putting more strain on your defense because they have less time to recover on the sideline between possessions. Makes sense. And KC's offense was draining our defense.

But it's kind of a chicken/egg situation, and I'm looking at it from the other side. I'm saying tempo and no-huddle would help the offense convert, especially when you have a couple three-and-outs and your offense needs a jump start. I think we needed that against KC, and I think the Rams needed that in the SB.

Another thing, increased tempo and no-huddle doesn't necessarily mean snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the clock. Once you go fast a couple times, the defense will declare early, then you can make your checks and still run some time off the clock. The idea is to dictate to the defense. 

On 2/5/2019 at 5:31 PM, Superman said:

Indeed, and I add they also should have switched to a Zone Blocking Scheme for their run game rather than continuing to try to find your man to block (amidst the twists and stunts).

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, ReMeDy said:

Edelman should have been priority #1, NOT Gronk. Gronk is not the same player he once was due to injuries. Not to take away from Gronk's awesome catch late in the game, but the Rams should have forced Gronk to prove he can be a consistent threat by challenging him to make catches in simple 1-on-1 man coverage.

Gronk is slow and needs extra time to get downfield, which would have given the Rams d-line more time to get after Brady. Cover the shifty guys, like Edelman and Hogan first, then worry about Gronk later. If Gronk puts up numbers, only then do you start double teaming him.

Everyone in my house, my wife, her friends, are screaming why is Edelman wide open.... I mean if they can call that out... what were the Rams DID Not see!  Geezuz

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jjcolts said:

Everyone in my house, my wife, her friends, are screaming why is Edelman wide open.... I mean if they can call that out... what were the Rams DID Not see!  Geezuz

This is why Edelman was open.  The All 22 coaches tape always tells the tale that the TV close up camera shots do not.