Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Johnathan Abram-S- as the pick at 26

1000% for it. Dude can play football. I know most people are high on Geathers, and I just don't see why. Could you imagine two first round safeties locking down the secondary for the next 10 years?

In fact, he is my first round pick in the mock I'm working on in my head. Potentially the second as well. His value is right around those two picks, and I would love for the Colts to grab him

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Side note. How was Mississippi State not the best defense on Earth? Montez Sweat off the edge, Jeffery Simmons at DT, and Abrams at Safety? 1st Rd NFL Talent everywhere. 

Well they basically were.

#1 in opponent yards/game and #2 in opponent points/game and #1 in opponent yards/play. 

Clemson was #4 and #1 and #2 in those respective categories. 

Those teams are going to account for like 25% of the 1st round picks.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I haven't watched him, so I can't say definitely... but IMO SS in this defense doesn't really have high value. So yeah. I won't say no, because he might blow me away with his talent when I watch him. 

Well one of his specialties is covering TEs something we sucked at lol

• Like 1

Just from what I have seen...I prefer someone like Adderly and Hooker.

Another guy I really really like is Taylor Rapp. Great agility and instincts and good ball skills for a SS.

I am definitely in favor of using a pick on S...would be even better if they can another pick for Brissett.

9 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

I'm starting to see some mocks with him being selected. 

I know a lot of people are thinking WR but this could be a sneaky under the radar (right now) choice for the Colts. 

Fun to watch his college highlights.
I have sincere doubts he is anywhere near rd 1 on CB's board on draft day.  

13 hours ago, James said:

According to who?

Bob Sanders was 5-8 and 206.

And that is

1. An exception to the rule

2. A bad example because Sanders was rarely healthy. Part of it was his reckless play style, but he didn’t have a body for the position he plays. 5’8” 206 are RB numbers. For comparison Barkley is 6’0” 230 lbs. 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:25 PM, Freenyfan102 said:

Yeah but Bob could not stay healthy and is overhyped.

OVERHYPED? THE YEAR THE COLTS WON THE SUPERBOWL was when bob came back at the end of the season and we shutdown the run against the likes of Larry Johnson KC in the playoffs. I believe we held the team under 50 yards (44 yrds to be exact) for the game. Calling Bob the builder overhyped is a disgrace. Honestly. smh Ill give you Injury prone Ok, But overhyped? laughable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

OVERHYPED? THE YEAR THE COLTS WON THE SUPERBOWL was when bob came back at the end of the season and we shutdown the run against the likes of Larry Johnson KC in the playoffs. I believe we held the team under 50 yards (44 yrds to be exact) for the game. Calling Bob the builder overhyped is a disgrace. Honestly. smh Ill give you Injury prone Ok, But overhyped? laughable.

and an underrated move on that too was moving Rob Morris from MLB to SAM...he really upped his game at that position. 

• Like 1

Bob Sanders was the man. Too small to hold up for how he played the position but nobody was tougher. He was definitely NOT overhyped.

The Colts will need another Safety. With the first pick? I doubt it. But early in the draft? You bet. 

On 2/1/2019 at 7:32 PM, Hoose said:

Bob Sanders was the man. Too small to hold up for how he played the position but nobody was tougher. He was definitely NOT overhyped.

The Colts will need another Safety. With the first pick? I doubt it. But early in the draft? You bet. 

My fav Colts player of all time.

First off, let me state I have not seen him on tape, and have only seen a few Miss. St. games, so I try and read a lot of draft opinions to see what a player is all about. I had heard nothing but good things about him until I read some opinions from The Draft Network. Here was a writeup on him from one of their talent evaluators:

"I’ve seen Abram mocked in the first round lately and let’s just say I am very perplexed. In today’s NFL where coverage ability, range, ball skills and versatility are ceted, Abram misses the mark.

What is true about Abram is that he is super physical. He is aggressive and violent hitter that is willing to run alleys and explode into contact. WITH THAT SAID, he isn’t a consistent tackler and whiffs way too much. And for a guy with his play demeanor, I am often disappointed with his ability to play through contact and disengage from blocks. Even with his best ability, there are concerns.

For me, Abram is a dime linebacker and special teams guy. He may have some upside situationally to matchup with tight ends in coverage but his skill set is incomplete. We don’t see Adrien Wilson or Roy Williams like players really thriving in today’s NFL and Abram fits that mold more than he does a player who can be a neutralizer against pace and space offenses the NFL currently features."

As I said I look for a variety of different opinions, and many know very little about what they are talking about, but this one did dismay me a bit.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:12 AM, DarkSuperman said:

He can always add weight. lol

I’m more concerned with the height than the weight. College listings are always generous. He’s listed at 6’0” most sites but I’ve also seen him listed at 5’11 which could mean he’s really 5’10”, which is too small to play SS.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m more concerned with the height than the weight. College listings are always generous. He’s listed at 6’0” most sites but I’ve also seen him listed at 5’11 which could mean he’s really 5’10”, which is too small to play SS.

Measured 5'11"and 1/4 at the Senior Bowl.

20 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Measured 5'11"and 1/4 at the Senior Bowl.

That’s more FS than SS size, but Abram has zero ability to play as a deep safety. I’d pass. Someone I like for that role is Amani Hooker from Iowa. Expect to see his stock rise. He’s 6’1” and is an absolute force against the run or pass.

• Like 2