Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Green Bay Interviewing Pagano And Caldwell For Packers Head Coaching Job

LucasOilStadium

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Chuck Pagano would be a good fit in Green Bay.

They would keep the present OC (Joe Philbin) and Pagano would help work their defense which needs help..

He is highly respected....It would be a good choice

The dope would probably fire Philbin and hire Mike Martz.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, coming on strong said:

chuck is gonna make history when he brings a superbowl to green bay and creates a packer dynasty its sad he wasnt given a fair chance here .

Fair Chance 6 years of garbage coaching wasn't a fair chance go for it Green Bay if you never want to win another Super Bowl with Rodgers.

No better man than Chuck Pagano. However, I just don't see this happening. His final two year stint as HC of the Colts was abysmal as far as in-game coaching and game planning. The Colts would play hard for him, yes, but the team could never adjust after half time; Chuck was perpetually out coached in the 4th quarter; and it really felt like the team was ill prepared nearly every week. Not to mention lousy choices in asst. coaches. 

That can't be lost on G. Bay's leadership. I suspect Chuck gets the interview opportunity because of friendships within the G. Bay staff/hierarchy, but I just can't see him getting another H.C. job...... . Now, as a defensive coordinator/asst. coach....I DO see that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

No better man than Chuck Pagano. However, I just don't see this happening. His final two year stint as HC of the Colts was abysmal as far as in-game coaching and game planning. The Colts would play hard for him, yes, but the team could never adjust after half time; Chuck was perpetually out coached in the 4th quarter; and it really felt like the team was ill prepared nearly every week. Not to mention lousy choices in asst. coaches. 

That can't be lost on G. Bay's leadership. I suspect Chuck gets the interview opportunity because of friendships within the G. Bay staff/hierarchy, but I just can't see him getting another H.C. job...... . Now, as a defensive coordinator/asst. coach....I DO see that. 

In-game coaching is in the eye of the beholder.

I guarantee you that every NFL coach..all 32 of them..are criticized in the fan universe because of in-game decisions they make.  Go to any fan web site and you'll read about how their coach has blown certain games. Its arbitrary and hindsight-laden.

That's not ever why you'd hire and fire a head coach.

Pagano never had a team which didnt play hard for him.

That's coaching, to me.

• Thanks 1

I don’t see Chuck as a natural fit in Green Bay.    Certainly NOT while they have Aaron Rogers as their QB.

Pagano is a believer in the chunk play philosophy.   A believer in the 7-step drops while receivers run longer patterns.    That’s why he hired Arians and Chudzinski.   They believe in slower developing chunk plays as well.

That’s NOT what Green Bay believes in.  Not what they want with Rogers. 

Perhaps this is a courtesy interview?    We never knows who is friends with whom?   Pagano has been in the NFL for over 30 years.   I’m sure he’s made plenty of friends.  Maybe someone is doing him a solid?

Caldwell might be a much more interesting choice.   This will be interesting to follow...

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t see Chuck as a natural fit in Green Bay.    Certainly NOT while they have Aaron Rogers as their QB.

Pagano is a believer in the chunk play philosophy.   A believer in the 7-step drops while receivers run longer patterns.    That’s why he hired Arians and Chudzinski.   They believe in slower developing chunk plays as well.

That’s NOT what Green Bay believes in.  Not what they want with Rogers. 

Perhaps this is a courtesy interview?    We never knows who is friends with whom?   Pagano has been in the NFL for over 30 years.   I’m sure he’s made plenty of friends.  Maybe someone is doing him a solid?

Caldwell might be a much more interesting choice.   This will be interesting to follow...

You are assuming Chuck learned zero from his experience? 

49 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are assuming Chuck learned zero from his experience? 

No....   but even if we assume that Chuck now embraces a different type of offense,  he has no experience with it.    No track record.     If you're Green Bay, do you want to let him prove it on your watch?     I don't think so.    They can't afford to,  not with the rest of Rogers career in the balance.

Too much of a gamble.

Remember,  I'm a Pagano supporter.    Just not in this particular situation.    I don't see it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No....   but even if we assume that Chuck now embraces a different type of offense,  he has no experience with it.    No track record.     If you're Green Bay, do you want to let him prove it on your watch?     I don't think so.    They can't afford to,  not with the rest of Rogers career in the balance.

Too much of a gamble.

Remember,  I'm a Pagano supporter.    Just not in this particular situation.    I don't see it.

That is why coordinators are hired.

The way I see it is Rogers would welcome an offense like Pagano/Arians ran. He is a gunslinger at heart.

The thing is in Green Bay there are so many people who have their hands in decisions made. Not having an owner to dictate what goes on can hurt as much as help.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is why coordinators are hired.

The way I see it is Rogers would welcome an offense like Pagano/Arians ran. He is a gunslinger at heart.

The thing is in Green Bay there are so many people who have their hands in decisions made. Not having an owner to dictate what goes on can hurt as much as help.

I'm sorry,  but I don't understand this response...

In your previous post to me, you asked if I'm assuming that Chuck learned nothing from this expereince.    And now you state to me that what he ran with the Colts with Arians is what he should do in Green Bay.    So, why the question about learning something?    If he's going to do in Green Bay what he did in Indy,  what did he have to learn?   

Honestly,  I think the last thing in the world Aaron Rodgers would want a part of is a Bruce Arians-style chunk play offense.    It got Roethlisberger hurt,  got Luck hurt, and got Carson Palmer hurt.

If you think Rodgers would like that offense, then why not interview and hire Arians himself.   Maybe he'd come out of retirement for Aaron Rodgers?

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry,  but I don't understand this response...

In your previous post to me, you asked if I'm assuming that Chuck learned nothing from this expereince.    And now you state to me that what he ran with the Colts with Arians is what he should do in Green Bay.    So, why the question about learning something?    If he's going to do in Green Bay what he did in Indy,  what did he have to learn?   

Honestly,  I think the last thing in the world Aaron Rodgers would want a part of is a Bruce Arians-style chunk play offense.    It got Roethlisberger hurt,  got Luck hurt, and got Carson Palmer hurt.

If you think Rodgers would like that offense, then why not interview and hire Arians himself.   Maybe he'd come out of retirement for Aaron Rodgers?

I was being sarcastic in my comment about Rogers because of his pendency to throw the ball all over the field.

Personally I don't think Green Bay will hire Pagano but if they did I feel pretty sure that Pagano learned from his tenure as a head coach. To assume he would do the same things there IMO is wrong.

Green Bay has always had a thing for conservative, lame duck coaches and they’ve made a ton of bad hires over the years that are overshadowed by the 3 good ones they’ve made. 3...as the oldest team in the league. Mike Sherman was the wussiest, lamest coach ever who just happened to win a playoff game ever other year because of some Favre junk. Give me McCarthy, Martyball, Mora etc over him any day.

I wouldn’t take a chance on Chuck. He has his qualities but if they hire him they might as well hire Josh and Jimbo as assistants and change the name of the team to the Green Bay Buddyroos.