Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Luck Be Given The Green Light?

bluephantom87

Now that D-day is over..(and it STILL hurts!!) Do you think the new coaching staff will let Andrew take his lumps but allow him to showcase his talents (ala Peyton's rookie season with the qb records) or spoon feed him with a conservative "manage the game" approach? Cam was given the green light last year and had a strong rookie season. I look at qbs on strong defensive teams like big Ben, Flacco, Sanchez, and Alex Smith who were passers in college but their stats as pros are often very average. Not saying the Colts d is at that level yet but Chuck will steer in that direction. If Luck IS the next big thing don't turn him into Andy Dalton (another nice game manager on a defensive team) because you could have gotten that in the 2nd or 3rd round, loaded up on picks and kept the GOAT. Bottom line UNLEASH Luck!!!!! :excited:

Now that D-day is over..(and it STILL hurts!!) Do you think the new coaching staff will let Andrew take his lumps but allow him to showcase his talents (ala Peyton's rookie season with the qb records) or spoon feed him with a conservative "manage the game" approach? Cam was given the green light last year and had a strong rookie season. I look at qbs on strong defensive teams like big Ben, Flacco, Sanchez, and Alex Smith who were passers in college but their stats as pros are often very average. Not saying the Colts d is at that level yet but Chuck will steer in that direction. If Luck IS the next big thing don't turn him into Andy Dalton (another nice game manager on a defensive team) because you could have gotten that in the 2nd or 3rd round, loaded up on picks and kept the GOAT. Bottom line UNLEASH Luck!!!!! :excited:

Yeah, they'll let him. They have to, if they wanna sell tickets they gotta showcase our new QB.

They'll probably try to manage games to a degree.... but I think it's overstated if your young QB is a good one. Look at Carolina and Newton. My hope is when Pagano said they were going to play an aggressive brand of football he meant on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, they'll let him. They have to, if they wanna sell tickets they gotta showcase our new QB.

I don't think ticket sales will be an issue for at least next year. Plenty of season ticket holders in line to take the spots of those who drop out now.

Going forward it may become a concern, but time will tell. I just hope the fans support Luck and dont expect him to be Peyton immediately or really ever. He doesn't have to be Peyton, he just has to be good enough to win if we surround him with good parts.

Any snap in the regular season that another QB takes is a wasted snap.

Yeah this. I was ok with Luck sitting behind Manning, but sitting behind Dan Orlovsky (or whoever) does nothing.

I think the playbook they come up with will be somewhat limited and grow over time as Luck becomes more comfortable with the NFL. As another poster said so accurately, Rome wasn't built in a day.

They'll probably try to manage games to a degree.... but I think it's overstated if your young QB is a good one. Look at Carolina and Newton. My hope is when Pagano said they were going to play an aggressive brand of football he meant on both sides of the ball.

Agree 100% but I also heard Pagano say he believes in pounding the ball on offense. The draft and free agency will give us a hint. Acquiring playmakers and upgrading the o-line bode well for showcasing Luck's talent but the Colts also need a lot on the defensive side of the ball to run the 3-4. I guess this REALLY is rebuilding mode....

Agree 100% but I also heard Pagano say he believes in pounding the ball on offense. The draft and free agency will give us a hint. Acquiring playmakers and upgrading the o-line bode well for showcasing Luck's talent but the Colts also need a lot on the defensive side of the ball to run the 3-4. I guess this REALLY is rebuilding mode....

You dont draft the No.1 QB prospect to pound the ball.

Joe Addai is a not a 'pounder'..and we dont have the run blockers to run 50 times

Playing indoors in perfect conditions..,.you have to throw 30-40 times because the other side will..

Yes for starters as pat mcafee pointed out last night at the moment you could say mcafee is our starting qb because manning is gone Collins retired painter will not be back and orlovsky is a free agent. If luck can't beat out the punter it's time to really panic.

Clearly we will sign another qb at least but you don't release Peyton manning to have luck not start day one.

Joe Addai is a not a 'pounder'..and we dont have the run blockers to run 50 times

Playing indoors in perfect conditions..,.you have to throw 30-40 times because the other side will..

Being down 14 in the first quarter also tends to lead to throwing a lot too.... Not saying the D will be that bad, but the transition defensively may well be more drastic than the one we're about to see offensively.....

Yes for starters as pat mcafee pointed out last night at the moment you could say mcafee is our starting qb because manning is gone Collins retired painter will not be back and orlovsky is a free agent. If luck can't beat out the punter it's time to really panic.

Clearly we will sign another qb at least but you don't release Peyton manning to have luck not start day one.

In fact..a small perecentage of the reason we DID ashcan Peyton was so Luck could start from day one...

..which is something Peyton said should happen (as it did with him)

Luck starts ever pre-season game and he starts the opener...

..and as of wednesday...he knows it..

..hopefully..somebody has already shipped him the playbook...

In fact..a small perecentage of the reason we DID ashcan Peyton was so Luck could start from day one...

..which is something Peyton said should happen (as it did with him)

Luck starts ever pre-season game and he starts the opener...

..and as of wednesday...he knows it..

..hopefully..somebody has already shipped him the playbook...

After his pro day and rg3s I think you will see the colts sign one of them since the league has told them they can just so they can start marketing him to the fans and moving on to other needs.

You are correct!!! That's why they must give Luck the green light ala Cam last year.

If they're drafting Luck so we can become a 'Powerhouse/Ground and Pound' running team.....then what's the friggin' point?

The point is, no matter how much you run the ball, there's ALWAYS a point in a drive where you NEED a QB to make a play. Remember the last offensive drive against the Ravens in the 06 playoffs where Manning only threw one pass but it was on a 3rd and 8 and he put the ball in the only cubic foot where Clark could catch it but the defender couldn't?

Also, no matter how good your defense and running game are, when the game is close in the 4th quarter, who do you want behind center - a Manning, a Brady, a Rothlesberger, or a Flacco, a Tebow or a Smith?

Running the ball sets up every other aspect of the game - pass offense, pass defense, run defense. It keeps the defense rested, it keeps the safeties and linebackers near the line opening up play action, and it puts pressure on the other team to score (making THEM pass more, playing right into Freeney and Mathis's hands) when they have the ball knowing they might not get it back for 6 to 8 minutes.

Lastly, How many SuperBowls did Manning win without a strong running game? Answer: 0 (the running game was AWESOME in the 2006 SB run).

After his pro day and rg3s I think you will see the colts sign one of them since the league has told them they can just so they can start marketing him to the fans and moving on to other needs.

I hope you are right..

The franchise is at a low ebb now...everybody is down...

We've torn it all down..(on offense) and now we have to start building it back up

I'd love to see us resign Garcon before the free agency period opens next week...because then we'd have to bid with other teams

The point is, no matter how much you run the ball, there's ALWAYS a point in a drive where you NEED a QB to make a play. Remember the last offensive drive against the Ravens in the 06 playoffs where Manning only threw one pass but it was on a 3rd and 8 and he put the ball in the only cubic foot where Clark could catch it but the defender couldn't?

Also, no matter how good your defense and running game are, when the game is close in the 4th quarter, who do you want behind center - a Manning, a Brady, a Rothlesberger, or a Flacco, a Tebow or a Smith?

Running the ball sets up every other aspect of the game - pass offense, pass defense, run defense. It keeps the defense rested, it keeps the safeties and linebackers near the line opening up play action, and it puts pressure on the other team to score (making THEM pass more, playing right into Freeney and Mathis's hands) when they have the ball knowing they might not get it back for 6 to 8 minutes.

Lastly, How many SuperBowls did Manning win without a strong running game? Answer: 0 (the running game was AWESOME in the 2006 SB run).

I dont know..

Havent the last 8 Super Bowl teams all been top passing teams in that season?

The game i changing.....and its an indoor game in Indy and NOLA and places like that

You do need a run game but if you want to become a run first ground and pound type of team, then draft a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round and get a slew of picks for the top pick. Get Luck some weapons and don't tie his hands with that make a play on 3rd mentality. Attack! Put pressure on opposing defenses. This is WHY you draft the franchise qb for today's nfl.

I'm wondering if we will utilize more rollouts and screens. Donald Brown is deadly in open space, the problem is he usually runs into people before he gets into open space. Lucks mobility combined with Delone Carter and a FB, decent TE blocking I could see that being pretty smash mouth on short down yardage IF Delone can hold the ball lol. I think they can utilize a new scheme combined with Lucks mobility to make our RB core very deadly.

This us what I heard as well. Keep in mind Arians had a pass first offense in Pittsburgh last year.

But we DO need better balance and the ability and willingness to run the ball consistently when we need to... between the tackles and outside.

Otherwise.... the 06' playoff loss to Pittsburgh, the 08' playoff loss to the Chargers and the 3 to 7 point swing as the 1st half wound down against the Saints in the Super Bowl.... are critical playoff lapses that are likely to repeat themselves.

And they occurred with a Colts offense led by the best passer in NFL history, but sorely lacked those elements and the overall balanced philosophy in critical playoff moments.

But we DO need better balance and the ability and willingness to run the ball consistently when we need to... between the tackles and outside.

Otherwise.... the 06' playoff loss to Pittsburgh, the 08' playoff loss to the Chargers and the 3 to 7 point swing as the 1st half wound down against the Saints in the Super Bowl.... are critical playoff lapses that are likely to repeat themselves.

And they occurred with a Colts offense led by the best passer in NFL history, but sorely lacked those elements and the overall balanced philosophy in critical playoff moments.

paco..I think we can all agree

that NOTHING about the Colts offense of the past decade is likely to repeat itself...

Its awhole new ballgame

...you cant overreact to a few losses...

..everybody builds the team around the conditions they play in

we play in passer heaven.. Indy...Jacksonville, Memphis and Houston

...Andrew Luck will find these places as pass-friendly as Peyton did...

paco..I think we can all agree

that NOTHING about the Colts offense of the past decade is likely to repeat itself...

Its awhole new ballgame

...you cant overreact to a few losses...

..everybody builds the team around the conditions they play in

we play in passer heaven.. Indy...Jacksonville, Memphis and Houston

...Andrew Luck will find these places as pass-friendly as Peyton did...

I totally agree with having a potent passing attack.... but adding a power run element to the offense is not over reacting and its generally not even that expensive.... and that is what made those playoff losses all the more frustrating.

My post wasn't intended to be any kind of comparison between Manning and Luck... it was simply stating that the shortfall we've had in run-blocking on the O-line and an overall philosophy that all but ignored a power run element, IMO, heavily contributed to us not winning another 1-2 Super Bowls. And that was WITH a vaunted passing attack.

We know that most games come down to 5-6 key plays.

But in the moments we needed to extend drives and bleed out the clock or close the half with points on the board by smash mouthing it when the situation dictated..... we just couldn't do it.... mainly because we were rarely in the habit of doing it and never seriously equipped the offense to do it.

So I don't mean we should turn into a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense.... just be able to knock the crap out of the D-line and get a 3rd and short when a playoff game is on the line.

I totally agree with having a potent passing attack.... but adding a power run element to the offense is not over reacting and its generally not even that expensive.... and that is what made those playoff losses all the more frustrating.

My post wasn't intended to be any kind of comparison between Manning and Luck... it was simply stating that the shortfall we've had in run-blocking on the O-line and an overall philosophy that all but ignored a power run element, IMO, heavily contributed to us not winning another 1-2 Super Bowls. And that was WITH a vaunted passing attack.

We know that most games come down to 5-6 key plays.

But in the moments we needed to extend drives and bleed out the clock or close the half with points on the board by smash mouthing it when the situation dictated..... we just couldn't do it.... mainly because we were rarely in the habit of doing it and never seriously equipped the offense to do it.

So I don't mean we should turn into a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense.... just be able to knock the crap out of the D-line and get a 3rd and short when a playoff game is on the line.

I agree with that

We shouldnt have been as impotent in 3rd-and-1s as we were and I'm sure the new coaches will see that on film.

..and I'm all for my man Donald Brown running for 1,000 yards :)

I agree with that

We shouldnt have been as impotent in 3rd-and-1s as we were and I'm sure the new coaches will see that on film.

..and I'm all for my man Donald Brown running for 1,000 yards :)

Yep.... hopefully we can bring in some solid OG help and bust open some holes for Donald. Give the kid some room and he can definitely do some damage.

They might as well let Luck go all out. That doesn't mean we shouldn't focus on a better running game though. If anything with Luck's mobility, and his use of play action a running game would help this team. Also people need to realize he won't be amazing his first year, but we should see glimpses of greatness. Peyton's first season was pretty ugly as well.