Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Way too early 2019 Mock ( 5 round)

I’m proud of myself for waiting untill October. Last season my first mock was out after like week 3. But here it is. I have us picking 7th.

R1: Dre’Mont Jones, DT Ohio State

I think Oliver and Bosa are already off the board. I would love for this pick to be Jeffrey Simmons but the tape of him hitting a woman (although it was before college) isn’t something Ballard will like. Jones is a 3 technique who has advanced hand usage that makes him a dangerous pass rusher. He was pretty good when Bosa was starting and has stepped up since he left. Ideal size at about 6’4” and 290 lbs. He’s ranked highly by CBS Sports and PFF

Round 2: Max Scharping, OT NIU

Obviouslt RT is a need. A lot of people feel LT is one as well. Here’s a guy that can learn to play both. Scharping is 6’6” and 320 pounds but also strong and athletic. He plays at a small school but played Utah, Iowa, and Florida State so far this season and has DOMINATED all 3. This includes buzz worthy DE Brian Burns from FSU. He’s more patient than violent but it works. He can start at RT day 1 and play LT when Castonzo is injured. He’s also a PFF favorite. Check out this write up on him. https://www.cover1.net/small-school-standouts-through-four-weeks/

Round 2 (via Jets): Collin Johnson, WR Texas

A physical freak who stands out on tape. Personally I think he’s probably closer to 6’4” than 6’6” like he’s listed but he’s got great size. Speed appears to be above average as well. Runs better routes than you’d think. The ability to win the jump ball and catch in traffic is what separates him though. He’s already on fire this season.

Round 3: Jonathan Abram, SS Miss. State

I’ve gone on record recently by saying I think that regardless of his health, the Colts need to move on from Geathers. Here’s a good replacement. Abram is physical around the ball but can also hold up in run support. You’d like him to be a little bigger than 6’0” but he’s got a good frame.

Round 4: Iman Marshall, CB USC

An ideal fit in a zone defense that we run. He was one of the corners that got abused but Collin Johnson, but mostly because he’s a mismatch for everyone. Marshall is still a very good corner with ideal Ballard length at 6’1”. 

Round 5: LJ Scott, RB MSU

I wanted to spend a high round pick on a RB too but Rodney Anderson got injured and that changed everything. Scott is a RB with all the tools but hasn’t had the production. Scouts think that like Le’veon, if he drops some weight, he could be a real problem at the next level. If that happens he can be the do it all back the Colts need. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think Oliver and Bosa are already off the board. I would love for this pick to be Jeffrey Simmons but the tape of him hitting a woman (although it was before college) isn’t something Ballard will like. Jones is a 3 technique who has advanced hand usage that makes him a dangerous pass rusher. He was pretty good when Bosa was starting and has stepped up since he left. Ideal size at about 6’4” and 290 lbs. He’s ranked highly by CBS Sports and PFF

I've noticed Jones has started to creep up on a couple of the scouts rankings list I follow. I haven't watched him enough to make an solid assessment but he's on my film list of guys to watch.

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m proud of myself for waiting untill October. Last season my first mock was out after like week 3. But here it is. I have us picking 7th.

He would be our replacement for Hunt, when he's gone. He can play outside (LDE) on early downs, and shift inside on passing downs. The guy just keeps getting better and better every week and is the guy teams are trying to shut down since Bosa has been out. He would be an excellent addition to the Colts DL and I'm always happy to have another Buckeye on the Colts roster. 

As far as picking 7th, I think we could trade back to 15'ish and still be able to get him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I've noticed Jones has started to creep up on a couple of the scouts rankings list I follow. I haven't watched him enough to make an solid assessment but he's on my film list of guys to watch.

Just go watch the TCU game and watch how he took over that game. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I don't know if you can 100% say Ballard wouldn't be interested in Simmons when Ballard did say he had Joe Mixon on his draft board.

What round though? That’s the real question. Wherever it was, it was lower than he had Quincy Wilson since he was picked 2 picks before Mixon.

Simmons is a legit top-20 player. The tape is probably the only reason why some sites have him as s fringe 1st/2nd round pick. He’ll be on Ballard’s board but probably not where he’ll likely be drafted.

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Well I'm a Buckeye fan so I'm a bit biased, I admit, but I don't think he'll go top ten. 

The tape is the only reason. I don’t think he’s going to get a pass on it just because it happened before college. Dalvin Cook fell for issues he had in high school too. Some teams will take him off the board.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The tape is the only reason. I don’t think he’s going to get a pass on it just because it happened before college. Dalvin Cook fell for issues he had in high school too. Some teams will take him off the board.

I'm assuming you're talking about Simmons? I was referring to Dre'mont.

9 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm assuming you're talking about Simmons? I was referring to Dre'mont.

Ah okay. Jones is a possible top 10 pick for sure. The top 10 players in this class that isn’t likely to change is as follows:

1. Nick Bosa

2. Ed Oliver

3. Clelin Ferrell 

4. Jonah Williams

5. Greedy Williams

6. DeAndre Baker

7. Justin Herbert

8. Deionte Thompson

9. Dre’Mont Jones

10. Rashan Gary

Thats in no particular order. 

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ah okay. Jones is a possible top 10 pick for sure. The top 10 players in this class that isn’t likely to change is as follows:

1. Nick Bosa

2. Ed Oliver

3. Clelin Ferrell 

4. Jonah Williams

5. Greedy Williams

6. DeAndre Baker

7. Justin Herbert

8. Deionte Thompson

9. Dre’Mont Jones

10. Rashan Gary

Thats in no particular order. 

Am I understanding you correctly?

You think the 10 players you've listed above are the top-10 players in the 2019 draft?     You think nothing is going to change between now and late April?     That's 6 and a half months from now.

Nothing will change?     Or am I not understanding you?

On 10/14/2018 at 5:08 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Am I understanding you correctly?

You think the 10 players you've listed above are the top-10 players in the 2019 draft?     You think nothing is going to change between now and late April?     That's 6 and a half months from now.

Nothing will change?     Or am I not understanding you?

Yes.

And I only say not likely because the top 10 players are usually your blue chip prospects. So the guys with those high rankings aren’t likely to move up or down unless an injury, unexpected decision to stay another year, or crazy scandal happens. This isn’t my ranking necessarily. It’s more or less what I’m seeing and reading on other sites. We saw the same thing last year. 

By November people knew the top 10 were the big 3 (Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson), 4 QBs, Ward, Smith, Fitzpatrick. Vea was also one of those guys in that range. Point being that didn’t change over the year. I’m not saying there’s no chance those rankings change even slightly, just that more or less, that’s the consensus top 10. QBs are always weird so another one may shoot up the rankings. But we basically know who the elite blue chip players in this draft are. It’s the 11-32 that will wildly fluctuate. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 5:07 PM, FalseStart said:

There will be a QB or two in the top 10....Colts will draft ~10-15 pick

When I originally made this post, I wrote that I had us drafting at number 7. Currently, 7 is exactly where we sit. I don’t think we’ll make it outside the top-10. Still have 5 division games to play and the Cowboys and Dolphins on the schedule. I also wouldn’t underestimate the Giants now that they have Barkley.