Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Latest From Andrew Brandt...

John Dee

If the Colts won a few more games last season, Luck would not be a consideration at all.

The reason why the Colts did not win a few more games last season was lack of quality QB play.

We can attribute the lack of quality QB play to a number of factors:

1) Poor back up talent behind PM

2) Poor coaching preparedness for PM's not being able to go

3) Poor QB2 development, from lack of reps given to QB2, when QB1 took them all.

In a sense, PM contributed to the Colts having the #1 overall pick.

Yeah that's real :edit: smart.

Let's bring in a guy, with no experience, because he's obviously the GOAT, and while we're at it, we can dump the man who's built the franchise.

I'm sorry, I do think Luck will be a very good QB in this league, and will probably win a SB or two. I'm just angry with Irsay, but I'll get over it.

If the Colts won a few more games last season, Luck would not be a consideration at all.

The reason why the Colts did not win a few more games last season was lack of quality QB play.

3) Poor QB2 development, from lack of reps given to QB2, when QB1 took them all.

Okay sir, let me ask you something. Do you really think Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, etc., give any of their reps to QB 2? Does that make any sense at all? Let me make something clear, Curtis Painter sucked, because he sucks. End of story. It had nothing to do with the fact that Peyton took the reps with the first stringers.

Even if the Colts had won a few more games and been out of contention for Luck or RG3 i still think Irsay would have hesitated to keep Peyton under his current contract possibly knowing that one big hit could put him out of football for good, now whether or not they could have worked out a new deal i don't know.

Okay sir, let me ask you something. Do you really think Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, etc., give any of their reps to QB 2? Does that make any sense at all? Let me make something clear, Curtis Painter sucked, because he sucks. End of story. It had nothing to do with the fact that Peyton took the reps with the first stringers.

Yes, I think Brady, Rodgers, Brees, the other Manning, etc. do not hog all the reps in practice. They all allow their coach to give reps to their respective QB2s.

Yes Curtis Painter sucked. But perhaps he would have sucked just a little less to have helped the Colts win a few more games last season. If that happened, no overall #1 pick.

Yes, I think Brady, Rodgers, Brees, the other Manning, etc. do not hog all the reps in practice. They all allow their coach to give reps to their respective QB2s.

Yes Curtis Painter sucked. But perhaps he would have sucked just a little less to have helped the Colts win a few more games last season. If that happened, no overall #1 pick.

See the guy above you cuz he knows the truth. Teams let the starters take most of the reps with the 1s. The backups take some reps with the 1s but mostly with the 2s. What do you want, Peyton to let Curtis 'MegaBeast' Painter take half his reps or something? Real formula for success you've got there.

Even if the Colts had won a few more games and been out of contention for Luck or RG3 i still think Irsay would have hesitated to keep Peyton under his current contract possibly knowing that one big hit could put him out of football for good, now whether or not they could have worked out a new deal i don't know.

I really dont think that would be an option. There isnt any big QB's on the market, and now there are reports that are saying Peyton is throwing at close to 100 percent already. Before anyone attacks me about my source on that, Trent Dilfer was quoted today saying he has knowledge he is close to 100 percent and Merril Hoge is saying he has personally seen Peyton throw and he will be ready for the season.

See the guy above you cuz he knows the truth. Teams let the starters take most of the reps with the 1s. The backups take some reps with the 1s but mostly with the 2s. What do you want, Peyton to let Curtis 'MegaBeast' Painter take half his reps or something? Real formula for success you've got there.

Before Peyton got hurt, how many practice reps did Painter get? How many reps did Sorgi get?

Yes, QB1s get most of the reps. But, to my knowledge, only the Colts during the PM era, the QB1 got 100% of the reps.

Spot on.

Before Peyton got hurt, how many practice reps did Painter get? How many reps did Sorgi get?

Yes, QB1s get most of the reps. But, to my knowledge, only the Colts during the PM era, the QB1 got 100% of the reps.

Are you kidding me dude?

Did you ever watch Colts preseason games?

So you would consider, over the many years, all the action Sorgi/Painter got with #1s in preseason, to not be legitimate reps with the 1s? Peyton Manning does not hog all the reps. He gets what any other starting QB gets. Most of the reps. The second stringer does come in after P's done, and takes his share. Or s*** what about this year? I think Painter got plenty of reps with the number 1s during this offseason, you might have to refresh my memory on how he did though, it seems to have slipped my mind.

Painter got reps this season, with the starters, and still sucked.

Now what's your excuse?

Btw, I've seen this coming for some time, so I'm kinda prepared.

Still sad though. I will no longer be able to run the no huddle in the next Maddens.

Painter got reps this season, with the starters, and still sucked.

Now what's your excuse?

Btw, I've seen this coming for some time, so I'm kinda prepared.

Still sad though. I will no longer be able to run the no huddle in the next Maddens.

Perhaps you did not recognize my question. Here it is again:

Notice the word BEFORE.

Perhaps you did not recognize my question. Here it is again:

Notice the word BEFORE.

Yes, of course.

Him taking reps in 09 and 10 would've helped him a lot. I'm sure he would've probably completed a pass more or two.

Thank for purposely not acknowledging blatant sarcasm.

You obviously have issues, if you think Painter being a horrible QB is at all Manning's fault.

I do not think Painter being a horrible QB is all PM's fault.

I think the fault for not developing Painter in his 2 years with the team falls on both the coaches for not insisting that PM give up some reps, and on PM for hogging the reps for himself.

If Painter sucked just a little less from having had these additional developmental reps, perhaps he would have completed one or two critical passes to put the team in a position to win more than 2 games last season. If this had been the case, the Colts would not have the #1 overall pick now.

I think the fault for not developing Painter in his 2 years with the team falls on both the coaches for not insisting that PM give up some reps, and on PM for hogging the reps for himself.

If Painter sucked just a little less from having had these additional developmental reps, perhaps he would have completed one or two critical passes to put the team in a position to win more than 2 games last season. If this had been the case, the Colts would not have the #1 overall pick now.

There you go........being all logical and stuff.........

BTW, I was asked on many boards if I could, would I want the Colts to win the last two games. I said absolutely yes. For the record, I still feel that way.

This is all a huge fallacy.

You are again, begging the entire situation.

You have to take into account O-line play, the running game, WR play, our defense, how the teams we played would have adjusted if we actually passed more, the fact that the ORGANIZATION had more faith in a has been Collins than Painter.

Reps would have perhaps helped Painter to an extent, to go as far as to say it would've helped in the clutch(which you've clearly implied) to win games is a stretch. Since that has more to do with mental toughness than anything.

One of the things a QB should be measured on is how they react to pressure. Painter, doesn't react to it well.. at all. I do think he should have gotten reps, but I doubt it would've changed the out come of this season. But he got all his reps, this year he had a chance to prove himself, then was later benched.

That shouldn't be the quarterbacks call. That's a coaching decision.

They are putting all their eggs in one basket for sure. It will be shame if they all

l crack. You never know for certain how Luck will turn out. He could get a injury or fizzle out. Truthfully I believe in karma and this team sure is seeing that now. Manning will be fine wherever he ends up.

Technically wouldnt you be better if you took all the reps with the second unit and then got to play with the first unit..... Ya painter sucked bad

It's a players responsibility to be prepare to play the best he can. It's the coaches job to prepare the team to play the best they can. If Dungy/Caldwell didn't give enough reps to the backups, that's on them. To blame Peyton for not taking himself off the field to let the backup get reps is ludicrous. That's the coaches job.

While I accept that this the greatest day in the life of a frog, you don't honestly believe what you just said, riht? I mean, it couldn't possibly have been a terrible defense, the worst special teams unit it football, or Busch League coaching? A suspect strength and conditioning program, coupled with insurmountable injuries, or even a lack of dipping into Free Agency in the slightest? The poorest time of possession ratio, as well as the worst average starting field position on both ends had nothing to do with it either, right? Keep in mind that all of these things were true while Peyton was playing for us, it just came to light without him.

No other QB, college or Pro, would have won 9 games with this team, let alone the 12+ per year we averaged with PM.

Yeah...our failures were because of his "hogging" the first team snaps... Wow, get real.

You're contradicting yourself to support your agenda. You said yourself that teams let the starter take MOST of the reps but the backup takes SOME reps. With the Colts during the Manning era, Peyton took ALL of the reps and the backups got NONE during the regular season. How then do you go from the backup taking SOME reps to Painter taking HALF of the reps? All frog is saying is that the coaches should have made sure that the backup also got SOME (not most, not half...just some) of the reps with the first team in every practice just like every other team.

It's a players responsibility to be prepare to play the best he can. It's the coaches job to prepare the team to play the best they can. If Dungy/Caldwell didn't give enough reps to the backups, that's on them. To blame Peyton for not taking himself off the field to let the backup get reps is ludicrous. That's the coaches job.

No one is blaming Peyton. You're correct it is the coaches responsibility and in that regard they failed.

While I accept that this the greatest day in the life of a frog, you don't honestly believe what you just said, riht? I mean, it couldn't possibly have been a terrible defense, the worst special teams unit it football, or Busch League coaching? A suspect strength and conditioning program, coupled with insurmountable injuries, or even a lack of dipping into Free Agency in the slightest? The poorest time of possession ratio, as well as the worst average starting field position on both ends had nothing to do with it either, right? Keep in mind that all of these things were true while Peyton was playing for us, it just came to light without him.

No other QB, college or Pro, would have won 9 games with this team, let alone the 12+ per year we averaged with PM.

Yeah...our failures were because of his "hogging" the first team snaps... Wow, get real.

I think you're taking frog much too literally. He never said it was Peyton's fault. He said in the ways that he mentioned, Peyton was (indirectly) responsible for us getting the number one pick. It was Peyton's decision to want all of the practice reps. I would be surprised if every starting QB didn't want all of the practice reps. However it's up to the coaches to make sure that the first team is prepared for Sunday, but also that the backups are prepared in case they have to come in and perform as well. Peyton is somewhat responsible for the lack of backup QB development just like Luck is somewhat responsible for Peyton being gone. It was not Luck's decision or intent to force Peyton out, but if the highly touted "greatest QB prospect in 10 years" hadn't been in this draft then I believe Manning would still be a Colt. This is not Luck's fault and I don't consider Irsay a villain in this. He did what he felt is best for the franchise and I respect that. I've said all along you really have to go all in with one or the other.

Peyton is not a villain. He is the ultimate competitor. That competitiveness is what drives him to prepare and practice in the extreme ways that he does. It was also that competitiveness that caused him to want as much practice time as possible but it was the coaching staff's decision to give him what he wanted. I don't blame Peyton for wanting the practice time, but regardless of what he wanted he should not have received 100% of the practice time.

http://www.1070thefa...s.aspx?PID=2161

I totally agree with Brandt and JMV here... If Indy is not drafting #1 we are not having this conversation.

"t's more about Luck than it is about Peyton"...

I think your wrong. If we are drafting in the top 5 we are still having this conversation and it's still playing out the same way it is now, except instead of us getting Luck we're getting RGIII

You're contradicting yourself to support your agenda. You said yourself that teams let the starter take MOST of the reps but the backup takes SOME reps. With the Colts during the Manning era, Peyton took ALL of the reps and the backups got NONE during the regular season. How then do you go from the backup taking SOME reps to Painter taking HALF of the reps? All frog is saying is that the coaches should have made sure that the backup also got SOME (not most, not half...just some) of the reps with the first team in every practice just like every other team.

How do you not get what I said?

In the NFL in general, starters get MOST of the reps, backups get SOME of the reps. All this being with the number 1s. The backup also gets his reps with the 2s. It is this way with all teams, unless there is a QB competition in camp....and that includes the Colts. I know Curtis Painter had reps with the first team, and that was before Peyton got hurt. I read about it in camp. I seen it in camp with my own two eyes. It happened. For some reason there is a misguided notion that Peyton was some sort of rep Nazi, that made sure the backup didn't have any time to develop, probably propogated by Frog...because he hates Manning. Manning was a perfectionist, and he most assuredly took his share of reps, but Painter did have his own time with the number 1 offense.

My point about Painter taking half the reps, was only a point to Frog. I asked him if that's what the Colts were supposed to do to appease him, because apparently if Painter had more reps, our offense might not have sucked the big one most of the season.

Primarily, Polian putting all his eggs in the Peyton nest had its handsome rewards but when the big one was missing, it all came crashing down. Polian had more control for the team to be built slightly differently even with Peyton as the centerpiece but not the eraser of deficiencies on the player and coaching front; but Polian chose not to build it that way. Peyton was not going to go to Polian and say it had to be done this way or that way on defense, it was Dungy's and Caldwell's jobs to do that. Peyton was a consummate professional, took orders very well, even if it meant giving up on a perfect season and watch it crumble away from the sidelines :).

One could easily make a case that Polian had a bigger hand in us getting the #1 pick and Peyton not being here (missed draft picks, cap management etc.), than Irsay or Peyton themselves.

How do you not get what I said?

In the NFL in general, starters get MOST of the reps, backups get SOME of the reps. All this being with the number 1s. The backup also gets his reps with the 2s. It is this way with all teams, unless there is a QB competition in camp....and that includes the Colts. I know Curtis Painter had reps with the first team, and that was before Peyton got hurt. I read about it in camp. I seen it in camp with my own two eyes. It happened. For some reason there is a misguided notion that Peyton was some sort of rep Nazi, that made sure the backup didn't have any time to develop, probably propogated by Frog...because he hates Manning. Manning was a perfectionist, and he most assuredly took his share of reps, but Painter did have his own time with the number 1 offense.

My point about Painter taking half the reps, was only a point to Frog. I asked him if that's what the Colts were supposed to do to appease him, because apparently if Painter had more reps, our offense might not have sucked the big one most of the season.

Well every report that has come out from players, coaches and the media for the past 10 years would disagree with that statement. They have all explicitly stated that Peyton took 100% of the practice reps with the first team during the regular season and that Painter's responsibilities were to help Peyton with Peyton's preparation. This has also been discussed and verified many times over as being a unique situation that only the Colts have employed. Meaning that, unlike every other team in the league, the backup QB here in Indy has not gotten the same preparation and development as backup QBs with every other team.

Primarily, Polian putting all his eggs in the Peyton nest had its handsome rewards but when the big one was missing, it all came crashing down. Polian had more control for the team to be built slightly differently even with Peyton as the centerpiece but not the eraser of deficiencies on the player and coaching front; but Polian chose not to build it that way. Peyton was not going to go to Polian and say it had to be done this way or that way on defense, it was Dungy's and Caldwell's jobs to do that. Peyton was a consummate professional, took orders very well, even if it meant giving up on a perfect season and watch it crumble away from the sidelines :).

One could easily make a case that Polian had a bigger hand in us getting the #1 pick and Peyton not being here (missed draft picks, cap management etc.), than Irsay or Peyton themselves.

I don't doubt anything you mentioned above. BP may have been a primary cause of the Colts getting the #1 overall pick. However, I think many people contributed as well. From the poor coaching, poor talent at QB2, and Peyton hogging reps with #1s.

Yes, it is indeed the coaches' responsibility to develop their players. It is a sign of weak coaching that permits their star FHOF 4xMVP QB1 to hog all the reps with #1s in practice. It is also a sign of selfishness from the QB1 who does this.

They are putting all their eggs in one basket for sure. It will be shame if they all

l crack. You never know for certain how Luck will turn out. He could get a injury or fizzle out. Truthfully I believe in karma and this team sure is seeing that now. Manning will be fine wherever he ends up.

You never know how either situation will play out. There are no guarantees here, and nobody should be claiming otherwise. With that in mind, it is easy for me to assume Irsay is making the best decision he can with the information he has.

I remember how sick to my stomach I felt when Collie went to the turf limp for the second time 2 seasons ago... You say Manning will be fine wherever he goes, but I am seriously worried about that one hit that does more than force a retirement, if he does continue playing. How unbelievably upsetting would that be?

It is also a sign of selfishness from the QB1 who does this.

Again, it is not Peyton's job to make sure Painter gets reps. When Painter does get reps, if Painter asks Peyton questions, it becomes Peyton's job to help him understand the offense better. Given Peyton's history, I doubt there would have been any insubordination, if the coaches asked their HOF QB to give 20% of the reps to Painter. Again, coaches to blame entirely for letting Peyton take all the reps. The coaches, along with Polian, decided to put all their game preparation eggs in Peyton's basket too, which is what makes it appalling, if you ask me.

There would have been no issue with keeping Peyton's reps the same but asking the others to stick around for another half hour everytime to ensure Painter gets more reps. Again, that would not be Peyton's job to schedule things that way. They are all professionals, they will do what the coaches ask them to do, even if it is doing 20 reps on top of the 100 reps they have already had, but with Painter. That is why I refuse to believe that the coaches could not have handled it any differently and Polian could not have handled it any differently when year after year, they made decisions to sit Peyton before the playoffs and Peyton obliged without hesitation.

The incompetency of how the coaches handled the grooming of Painter should not come back on Peyton because Chris Collinsworth makes a statement on Sunday Night Football that Painter did not develop because he did not get the reps. It should fall back on the coaches, first and foremost. Even Dungy, after that Redskins' game hit in 2006 on Peyton that we all have talked about recently, acknowledged that was when they started cutting back on Peyton's reps. Then, why could they not give those reps to Painter when Painter was drafted? The issue was 2009 when Sorgi went on IR, he definitely got reps, it showed when he was in the games, even though they may have been meaningless in years past. It is possible Sorgi got the backup reps in 2009 before going on IR and then Painter was thrown to the wolves that afternoon vs the Jets.

What changed between Sorgi and Painter, the coaches need to be asked about it. Caldwell, in particular, because he was the newbie thrown into the situation. Maybe Dungy would have handled it differently. I think Caldwell being over his head, he did not want to take charge of things he should have taken charge of, maybe because he did not have the resume that Dungy had. That showed its ugly head at several levels, one of which was backup QB reps.

Again, it is not Peyton's job to make sure Painter gets reps. When Painter does get reps, if Painter asks Peyton questions, it becomes Peyton's job to help him understand the offense better. Given Peyton's history, I doubt there would have been any insubordination, if the coaches asked their HOF QB to give 20% of the reps to Painter. Again, coaches to blame entirely for letting Peyton take all the reps. The coaches, along with Polian, decided to put all their game preparation eggs in Peyton's basket too, which is what makes it appalling, if you ask me.

There would have been no issue with keeping Peyton's reps the same but asking the others to stick around for another half hour everytime to ensure Painter gets more reps. Again, that would not be Peyton's job to schedule things that way. They are all professionals, they will do what the coaches ask them to do, even if it is doing 20 reps on top of the 100 reps they have already had, but with Painter. That is why I refuse to believe that the coaches could not have handled it any differently and Polian could not have handled it any differently when year after year, they made decisions to sit Peyton before the playoffs and Peyton obliged without hesitation.

The incompetency of how the coaches handled the grooming of Painter should not come back on Peyton because Chris Collinsworth makes a statement on Sunday Night Football that Painter did not develop because he did not get the reps. It should fall back on the coaches, first and foremost. Even Dungy, after that Redskins' game hit in 2006 on Peyton that we all have talked about recently, acknowledged that was when they started cutting back on Peyton's reps. Then, why could they not give those reps to Painter when Painter was drafted? The issue was 2009 when Sorgi went on IR, he definitely got reps, it showed when he was in the games, even though they may have been meaningless in years past. It is possible Sorgi got the backup reps in 2009 before going on IR and then Painter was thrown to the wolves that afternoon vs the Jets.

What changed between Sorgi and Painter, the coaches need to be asked about it. Caldwell, in particular, because he was the newbie thrown into the situation. Maybe Dungy would have handled it differently. I think Caldwell being over his head, he did not want to take charge of things he should have taken charge of, maybe because he did not have the resume that Dungy had. That showed its ugly head at several levels, one of which was backup QB reps.

I am not arguing that it is ultimately the coaches' responsibility to develop their players, including QB2s.

Yes, it may have been indeed the lack of competency that allowed PM to take 100% of the reps.

However, I think PM is one of the more intelligent QBs in this league, and understands the game very well, as well as what it takes to develop as a QB to handle the offense that he was so familiar handling. He should have known better than to take what was not contested by a weak HC, for the better of the team.

Yes, it is indeed the coaches' responsibility to develop their players. It is a sign of weak coaching that permits their star FHOF 4xMVP QB1 to hog all the reps with #1s in practice. It is also a sign of selfishness from the QB1 who does this.

And now I disagree. I don't consider it a sign of selfishness. I consider it a sign of him being a perfectionist and wanting to use every possible second that he can preparing to get ready for a game. I wouldn't want a QB who didn't feel that way. That said, however, it's up to the coach to decide how much time each player gets in preparation and the coach must make sure that time is allotted correctly.