Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns Shopping #4 Pick

Like who didn't expect this. 

Negotiating two expensive first round pick contracts after their rookie year?  Dorsey isn't stupid.  After he gets his QB he'd be smart to keep trading down to the mid to late 20's just to get the second player on a potential 5th year option.

However, it is interesting that teams who can easily draft Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson appear willing to trade out than to draft one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Barkley is almost a lock to go the Giants. 

Denver might look at Chubb, but that would be more of a value pick than addressing a need. 

If the Browns go with Mayfeld/Allen at #1 then Darnold is the one QB the Giants have stated interest in...........Could be Darnold for them

• Like 2

1 minute ago, krunk said:

If the Browns go with Mayfeld/Allen at #1 then Darnold is the one QB the Giants have stated interest in...........Could be Darnold for them

Could be true. However, I really think Darnold is heading to the Browns. 

I believe the top three picks are locked. 

Browns - Darnold

Giants - Barkley

Jets - Mayfield 

I think this just confirms what’s been said by most GMs quoted, by anonymous front office assessments, and unnamed sources.  That is, the real talent in this draft is going to be found in rounds two and three, maybe later.  And the handful of true first round grades on players and flawed QBs has most seeking to sell, not buy, to collect picks in later rounds.   8-10 elite.  15 first round grades.  But 90 or more starters.  That theme has remained consistent. 

Last year we had 3 teams move into the top 12 to take QBs.  2016 was a bit crazier with 8 of the first 15 picks trading hands, pick 8 being traded twice...  and not all for QBs.  Goff and Wentz one and two, but OT, LB, CB and WR were taken with moves up too.  

We’ve had one trade in the top 10 already,  surely there will be more.  Even in slow years there are more.   It’s what makes the draft so fun.  

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I dont think so. They just realize they can get a ton because of the QB needy teams. Think if the right deal came along they'd do it.

Or they might trade the pick for a third rounder and a ham sandwich. 

It seems obvious Ballard does not rate Chubb or Nelson has highly as many here do, and neither apparently does Elway or Dorsey.  Could be smoke.  Probably not. 

So with Chubb and Nelson predicted to be on the board, and maybe Barkley if NYG takes Rosen, making QBs going 1,2,3... picks 4, 5, and 6 are for sale.  Interesting.

The competition come draft time will be which of those three teams will TAKE THE LEAST from either Buffalo or Miami.  As I said.  A third rounder and a ham sandwich.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Or they might trade the pick for a third rounder and a ham sandwich. 

It seems obvious Ballard does not rate Chubb or Nelson has highly as many here do, and neither apparently does Elway or Dorsey.  Could be smoke.  Probably not. 

I don’t think it has anything to do with those players not rating highly.  I bet they rank right where we’ve all been told they do.  At the top of every board.  It’s about the value of players 11-100 more than the value of players 1-10.  And to be very specific to Cleveland, at 1-15 followed by 0-16, how many roster spots do you think need improvement?  One DE or one RB isn’t going to stop that kind of awful.  Same could and has been said about all of the teams picking in the top 6.  Plenty of holes to fill.  I’d say most if not all GMs would trade one player for three or four when looking to build a roster.  

4 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with those players not rating highly.  I bet they rank right where we’ve all been told they do.  At the top of every board.  It’s about the value of players 11-100 more than the value of players 1-10.  And to be very specific to Cleveland, at 1-15 followed by 0-16, how many roster spots do you think need improvement?  One DE or one RB isn’t going to stop that kind of awful.  Same could and has been said about all of the teams picking in the top 6.  Plenty of holes to fill.  I’d say most if not all GMs would trade one player for three or four when looking to build a roster.  

Agree about rank.  Disagree about margin of separation.  I mean, when you're ranking 100 players, some players have to be numbers 1,2 and 3.  The question is how much do you love those players to turn down an opportunity to add player #60.

Most of "us" have the top three way ahead of the others so much that they believe a team will have to receive "the right deal" to trade out.  I think each team would trade down for a lot less than people are thinking.

• Like 1

Why oh why would Cleveland trade #4 when they have the chance to grab a game

changing player? It’s stupid. They already own this draft with two top 1s and 2 top 2s. Use the doggone picks to improve! They can do that without moving an inch in the draft. The Browns are under new management. They don’t have to be the Browns any longer! 

• Like 1

The number 4 Pick is for sale, the #5 pick, #6, etc...The Bills, Dolphins, Cardinals, Bears, Packers, etc.. all want to trade up. There’s no inside track as yo what trade is most probable. This isn’t news. Just pre-draft chatter. All we know is that trades will be made. Tomorrow will be interesting for sure.

I think our chances of trading back are shrinking...

Cleveland is considering trading back at 4....   and Denver is as well at 5....

That may limit our partners, and it also may limit what we can ask for.....    this is going to be a very tight needle to thread....

17 minutes ago, Hoose said:

changing player? It’s stupid. They already own this draft with two top 1s and 2 top 2s. Use the doggone picks to improve! They can do that without moving an inch in the draft. The Browns are under new management. They don’t have to be the Browns any longer! 

That's what perplexes me too Hoose. Why in the world would Cleveland relinquish or that give up that premium spot? The Browns know they are not the Steelers right? Did the owner get a concussion or something? Why even put it out there that you're taking bids man? 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Like who didn't expect this. 

Negotiating two expensive first round pick contracts after their rookie year?  Dorsey isn't stupid.  After he gets his QB he'd be smart to keep trading down to the mid to late 20's just to get the second player on a potential 5th year option.

However, it is interesting that teams who can easily draft Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson appear willing to trade out than to draft one of them.

The Browns will be able to afford anything they want to afford.    It's not like they expect to have cap problems in the near future.     Dorsey will be willing to play for top players.    And you'll get a top player at 4 in this draft....   but not so much around 24...     Good GM's pay for quality.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hoose said:

The Browns are fishing for draft picks...    more for this year,  AND more for next year.

Just because they're advertising does't mean they will do a deal....     it depends on the offer..

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Browns are fishing for draft picks...    more for this year,  AND more for next year.

Just because they're advertising does't mean they will do a deal....     it depends on the offer..

True, but I would respect their club more if they showed me that accumulating picks yr after yr was a thing of the past & they were actually trying to build a winning roster NCF. This is the Browns MO--Amateur hour unfortunately. 

I wasn't criticizing you BTW. I'm  just tired of Cleveland shenanigans like this & I'm wondering when they will ever learn that sometimes the best move is to stay put & pull the draft trigger. 

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Agree about rank.  Disagree about margin of separation.  I mean, when you're ranking 100 players, some players have to be numbers 1,2 and 3.  The question is how much do you love those players to turn down an opportunity to add player #60.

Most of "us" have the top three way ahead of the others so much that they believe a team will have to receive "the right deal" to trade out.  I think each team would trade down for a lot less than people are thinking.

That isn’t at all what we’ve heard from GMs and not the tone I get from “us” on this board at all.  I think most here would trade back again in a heartbeat with a roster so woefully thin at key positions.  Heck, “we” can’t agree on Chubb, Barkey, Nelson, or Smith, Edmunds.   That speaks volumes about the general talent pool.  

Ballard has moved back once and has said he’d consider it again.  And he’s talked at length about the depth of this draft.  He isn’t alone.   The number of first round grades is small, but the number of potential starters and real contributors is large.   We don’t have to believe him.  I do.  I’d trade someone like Chubb for multiple seconds or a combo of moving back and adding additional picks everytime this draft.  Next year maybe not.  But this draft I think teams will find as much production and talent at pick 40 as they do at pick 15.  So to that end, I’d gladly take four starters as opposed to one.  On a 4-12 roster. My answer might be different if I were an Eagles fan.  

The Colts jacked the Jets already - fleeced them.  Three second round picks to move up three spots to draft....  Mayfield???   Teams get jumpy.  Teams will move up.  They always do.  

18 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

True, but I would respect their club more if they showed me that accumulating picks yr after yr was a thing of the past & they were actually trying to build a winning roster NCF. This is the Browns MO--Amateur hour unfortunately. 

I wasn't criticizing you BTW. I'm  just tired of Cleveland shenanigans like this & I'm wondering when they will ever learn that sometimes the best move is to stay put & pull the draft trigger. 

They've got a new GM,  John Dorsey.    He's highly respected.

He can't be judged on the sins of all the past GM.    He's got to have the freedom to do what he thinks is best for his franchise.     He can't not do a deal because it's too much like a deal another GM made.     Each move has to be judged on it's own merits.    

Dorsey is only responsible for Dorsey.   He can't pay a price for all the other knuckleheads.

Same with Ballard and Grigson.    Ballard has to be free to do what he thinks is best.    He can't be held back because of what Grigson once did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I hope you're a prophet brother. I can't let myself go there though because whenever I want something to materialize really bad, it never pans out in my favor.

I pray your clairvoyant krunk.  I know; I know. You are just throwing out scenarios. I want hold you to it or anything. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They've got a new GM,  John Dorsey.    He's highly respected

Yeah, I know. CC1 has made the same valid point to me more than once. With a new GM comes a clean slate. 

I'm not rooting for the Browns to crumble or anything. They should grab Darnold & Chubb with their picks. That's what I would do in their shoes. Cleveland never ceases to amaze me though...by doing the wrong thing. 

But, who knows maybe this year they will have earned my respect. Gotta see it first with my own eyes though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

I did too, but I'm thinking Rosen or Allen.

A lot of smoke screen is spread around social media to drive teams who are picking in the teens' spots to move up who need a QB. 

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

That's what perplexes me too Hoose. Why in the world would Cleveland relinquish or that give up that premium spot? The Browns know they are not the Steelers right? Did the owner get a concussion or something? Why even put it out there that you're taking bids man? 

It's basically telling any teams that might wanna make a deal with the Colts at #6 that "hey look up here come tell us what you wanna give we will listen." It doesn't mean they will accept or even really want to accept but IF you send me the right deal we MIGHT just take it. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Browns will be able to afford anything they want to afford.    It's not like they expect to have cap problems in the near future.     Dorsey will be willing to play for top players.    And you'll get a top player at 4 in this draft....   but not so much around 24...     Good GM's pay for quality.

Sure but they will also find gems in the lower rounds this year and next that will command a high next contract.  Having to shell out 100 mil for a QB and another 90 mil for a RB might not allow them to sign the other parts of the roster when the time comes.  I think its just smart to stagger your major obligations rather than having them come due in lumps.  By definition, the number 4 player is an elite player who will command a very high cap number.  If he doesn't, then he was never worth the #4 pick.  Kind of a no-win situation from a value perspective. 

I say get the elite QB then build the rest of the roster the normal way with a bunch of 2nds and 3rds.. 

Adam Schefter  
Adam Schefter   

@AdamSchefter

Browns continue to keep the decision on their No. 1 pick a secret, but there is a mounting belief from HCs and GMs around the league that Cleveland will take Baker Mayfield.

5:28 AM - 26 Apr 2018

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Adam Schefter  
Adam Schefter   

@AdamSchefter

Browns continue to keep the decision on their No. 1 pick a secret, but there is a mounting belief from HCs and GMs around the league that Cleveland will take Baker Mayfield.

5:28 AM - 26 Apr 2018

That has got to be a smokescreen.  For the sake of Cleveland fans, I really hope it's a smokescreen

36 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

That has got to be a smokescreen.  For the sake of Cleveland fans, I really hope it's a smokescreen

Why?  Mayfield is pretty darn good.  Only thing you can really say against him is he's sorta short and "perceived" to be immature.   I don't think he's Manziel at all.  The guy wins, he's very accurate, he doesn't turn the football over and he's got a very strong competitive nature.  Plus his team mates rally around him and follow his lead.  I mean I can see why they would like him assuming that everything goes according to the reports.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Why?

Mayfield is the best QB in the class. It will finally be the first sensible thing the franchise has done in years...

To me, if you’re Buffalo, this 4th pick owned by Cleveland is the pick you want.  You give up both 1st rounders and a 2nd to get it.  If Browns turn you down, you next try with Denver, then failing that working, you try with the Colts.   Failing to get into spots 4 or 5, though, you really need to close the deal at spot 6.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Why?  Mayfield is pretty darn good.  Only thing you can really say against him is he's sorta short and "perceived" to be immature.   I don't think he's Manziel at all.  The guy wins, he's very accurate, he doesn't turn the football over and he's got a very strong competitive nature.  Plus his team mates rally around him and follow his lead.  I mean I can see why they would like him assuming that everything goes according to the reports.

2 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Why?

Mayfield is the best QB in the class. It will finally be the first sensible thing the franchise has done in years...

I'm not sold on his character