Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 3.0: Colts with a surprising pick in R1

I wouldn't be upset, and I truly think Nelson is the best player in the draft by a pretty wide margin. I say this because how do you fill one of the LBer spots vs how you fill one of the guard spots. If we get nelson at 6 (which I'm cool with, no issues) you will most likely be missing out on a pretty good LB prospect (LVE, Smith, Edmunds, and probably Evans as well). There is a pretty decent drop off after those guys and I'm not convinced they will be there in the 2nd for us to draft. Looking at the guard class, there is a better chance we get a very solid piece in the second that could start from day one. Add that to the fact Edmunds might have the best upside of anyone in the draft, I wouldn't be upset at all. Honestly, for me, that would be the hardest decision that is available. Do I take Nelson or Edmunds? That's coming from a guy that LOVES Nelson as a player.

• Thanks 1

Don't get me wrong I like Smith. But with his size, speed and length I'm taking Edmunds over Smith. He would be a terror in the middle covering the field. Then coming down and crashing the hole shutting down the run. You get your name thrown around with Urlacher I start foaming at the mouth

19 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

I wouldn't be upset, and I truly think Nelson is the best player in the draft by a pretty wide margin. I say this because how do you fill one of the LBer spots vs how you fill one of the guard spots. If we get nelson at 6 (which I'm cool with, no issues) you will most likely be missing out on a pretty good LB prospect (LVE, Smith, Edmunds, and probably Evans as well). There is a pretty decent drop off after those guys and I'm not convinced they will be there in the 2nd for us to draft. Looking at the guard class, there is a better chance we get a very solid piece in the second that could start from day one. Add that to the fact Edmunds might have the best upside of anyone in the draft, I wouldn't be upset at all. Honestly, for me, that would be the hardest decision that is available. Do I take Nelson or Edmunds? That's coming from a guy that LOVES Nelson as a player.

I love Nelson also....so who do you choose out of Larry Allen, Brian Urlacher or Mario Williams? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I love Nelson also....so who do you choose out of Larry Allen, Brian Urlacher or Mario Williams? 

That's the hard question. We have a decent offense but need better protection. I wouldn't want to be the one making that decision (even if it's a little out there to compare it to that level right now lol).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

All things being equal, you take the pass rusher. The great ones are as rare as a franchise QB. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2018 at 10:35 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I love Edmunds up side...

But my hunch is if you took a poll of 32 GMs about WHERE you play him you might get 4-5 answers... (but not in equal amounts)

Any of the three linebacker spots...   or, with his size, either of the DE spots...  I've heard him compared to Anthony Barr who came out as a linebacker and became a DE.    NOT predicting this...  Just saying different people might see different things..

I'd be curious where Ballard sees him?

Going back to you pointing out that Zierlein and Ballard are close friends it's interesting that he mocks Tremaine Edwards to us as 6. Wonder if he's got any incite?

On 3/28/2018 at 9:35 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I love Edmunds up side...

But my hunch is if you took a poll of 32 GMs about WHERE you play him you might get 4-5 answers... (but not in equal amounts)

Any of the three linebacker spots...   or, with his size, either of the DE spots...  I've heard him compared to Anthony Barr who came out as a linebacker and became a DE.    NOT predicting this...  Just saying different people might see different things..

I'd be curious where Ballard sees him?

You might be thinking of Hunter.  Barr is their SLB. 

Edmunds will have the ability to play multiple spots but DE is doubtful.  IMO he will drafted early so that a team can play him at SLB or MLB.  He has great athleticism and a comparison to Urlacher seems like a good one to me, allowing him to sit nicely in the MLB spot.

• Like 2

Going a bit off topic here.   This is one of the first draft seasons I've seen where none of the prospects have gotten into any type of trouble.   No arrests, no failed drug tests, no cussing combine doctors out.   It's been pretty quiet so far.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

Going a bit off topic here.   This is one of the first draft seasons I've seen where none of the prospects have gotten into any type of trouble.   No arrests, no failed drug tests, no cussing combine doctors out.   It's been pretty quiet so far.

It's still early. For example last year we learned about Reuben Foster's failed drug test 1 week before the draft. 

Just now, stitches said:

It's still early. For example last year we learned about Reuben Foster's failed drug test 1 week before the draft. 

We learned about Reuben at the Combine.   The drug test was the second thing. lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Going back to you pointing out that Zierlein and Ballard are close friends it's interesting that he mocks Tremaine Edwards to us as 6. Wonder if he's got any incite?

Interesting that you bring that up....

Because I brought it up about a month  ago when Zierlein first projected the Colts would first trade back a small amount and also floated the idea of trading back TWICE.

I raised the issue of their friendship and wondered if Zierlein had been tipped off?   Someone else responded saying that he listened to a Zierlein podcast and Lance said he and Ballard have basically stopped communicating during draft season.  And their was a tweet saying the same thing.

Still..  I think the two men like each other in part because they share a vision and have similar Football values about building a team...    etc.

I always keep a close eye on him....  :thmup:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting that you bring that up....

Because I brought it up about a month  ago when Zierlein first projected the Colts would first trade back a small amount and also floated the idea of trading back TWICE.

I raised the issue of their friendship and wondered if Zierlein had been tipped off?   Someone else responded saying that he listened to a Zierlein podcast and Kance said he and Ballard have basically stopped communicating during draft season.  And their was a tweet saying the same thing.

Still..  I think the two men like each other in part because they share a vision and have similar Football values about building a team...    etc.

I always keep a close eye on him....  :thmup:

Yeah, I remember that exchange. Zierlein probably knows that the mike linebacker in the Tampa 2 scheme is arguably the most important position and it puts huge burden on the player that has to man it up. It requires someone with great athleticism and quickness to drop into deep coverage on pass plays and at the same time someone who can discard blocks and plug holes close to the line of scrimmage on run plays. The prototype for this position in Tampa 2 is Brian Urlacher. Can you guess who Zierlein compared Edmunds to in his profile on nfl.com?

IMO this is the same reason we need to keep an eye on Leighton Vander Esch, who is another one that's being compared to Urlacher. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I remember that exchange. Zierlein probably knows that the mike linebacker in the Tampa 2 scheme is arguably the most important position and it puts huge burden on the player that has to man it up. It requires someone with great athleticism and quickness to drop into deep coverage on pass plays and at the same time someone who can discard blocks and plug holes close to the line of scrimmage on run plays. The prototype for this position in Tampa 2 is Brian Urlacher. Can you guess who Zierlein compared Edmunds to in his profile on nfl.com?

IMO this is the same reason we need to keep an eye on Leighton Vander Esch, who is another one that's being compared to Urlacher. 

Nuce post!

And LVE is very much in my radarvuf we somehow get a second first round pick.  I don't see LVE slipping to the 2nd round.

So I'd love to grab him if possible....

On 3/28/2018 at 11:28 AM, Shive said:

I disagree on his instincts and think he needs to work on both that and play diagnosing  He's looked fantastic in coverage though and I think he has the things you can't teach. I'm not sure that he would start MLB from day 1, but I could see him getting the start at WILL initially where his coverage skills would be maximized and his deficiencies in the run game would be a bit covered up.

i dont trust him to play mike either, but he could be our will on day 1

a will with the 6th overall pick is not great value, so he would have to take the mike someday soon to be worth it

• Like 1

Edmunds is like my 2nd favourite prospect of this draft class. While Roquon might be the more polished player, Edmunds has unbelievable potential. Great athletecism to go with size. He can run all over the field and could be molded to play essentially any role asked of him (though value wise, you’d hope your 6th overall LBer could play Mike). 

The only player I would take over Edmunds is Bradley Chubb.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 11:27 PM, FalseStart said:

At pick 6 No... 12 sure...still like Roquan Smith ILB little better. 

I dont understand how people can say things like this.  Edmunds has the potential to be one of the very best ILB in the NFL.  How can he be an ok pick at 12 but not 6?  You either think he is the guy we want, or you don't.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

One thing is for sure... for our defense to be as good as us fans want it to be, we must find our "Urlacher"

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I want one of Edmunds or LVE out of this draft. Have to get one of those two.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

I dont understand how people can say things like this.  Edmunds has the potential to be one of the very best ILB in the NFL.  How can he be an ok pick at 12 but not 6?  You either think he is the guy we want, or you don't.

What part of it is making it difficult for you to understand?  His value IMO...is not one that would warrant a top 10 selection...just as a round three guy may not warrant a first round selection...or a kicker in the 1st-5th rounds...etc. 

I am assuming you have understood the bigger picture of us drafting at 12 rather than at 6  (Additional picks at #x,y,z)

I would prefer Smith at 12...if Edmunds was drafted at 12 I would be happy...because either with the additional draft picks would be a more valued and glorious pick.  Just draft an ILB at 6...no.

17 hours ago, FalseStart said:

What part of it is making it difficult for you to understand?  His value IMO...is not one that would warrant a top 10 selection...just as a round three guy may not warrant a first round selection...or a kicker in the 1st-5th rounds...etc. 

I am assuming you have understood the bigger picture of us drafting at 12 rather than at 6  (Additional picks at #x,y,z)

I would prefer Smith at 12...if Edmunds was drafted at 12 I would be happy...because either with the additional draft picks would be a more valued and glorious pick.  Just draft an ILB at 6

no one is saying "Just draft an ILB at 6" ......  If we feel TE is our franchise ILB to lead our D for the foreseeable future then he would be a great pick at 6 (obviously better at 12 if he was there because we gained extra picks trading down.....duh).  If we do not feel he is that guy, then he would be a bad pick at 6 or 12.  

32 minutes ago, Kyle said:

no one is saying "Just draft an ILB at 6" ......  If we feel TE is our franchise ILB to lead our D for the foreseeable future then he would be a great pick at 6 (obviously better at 12 if he was there because we gained extra picks trading down.....duh).  If we do not feel he is that guy, then he would be a bad pick at 6 or 12.  

Not sure why folks respond to others opinions on these forums with hypothetical statements that lead to no where.  

1 hour ago, FalseStart said:

Not sure why folks respond to others opinions on these forums with hypothetical statements that lead to no where.  

Sorry... I thought a made it simple enough for you to follow and understand but I guess not

On 3/30/2018 at 9:47 AM, krunk said:

I think his relationship with Zierlein is meaningless. I doubt very seriously that CB suggested anything to him. Mel Kiper was talking about this on the radio the other day. He and Dorsey are apparently good friends and they never talk about player rankings or draft boards. Kipper said he would not want to put Dorsey in that position by asking. My guess the same is true with CB and Zierlein.  

And by by the way, the word in this context is insight. 

On 3/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, Kyle said:

My two cents

To truly know we need access to Ballards board which we will never get. 

But if his board stacks the way it is suggested here - Nelson is the 6th rated player and Edmunds is 12, you don't take Edmunds at 6.  The gap is too wide to me. 

Why spend all those resources in time and money to scout in order to stack the board as you see fit and then deviate from it at moment of truth?  

Now if his board has Edmunds at 6 or better make the pick and don't look back regardless if Kiper is screaming what a reach the pick is. 

• Like 1