Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What’s the Plan B for DE in the draft?

9 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Like I said it's entirely possible it's just a huge string of coincidences especially since they all happened within I believe a little over one calendar year but to me that's just not something I want to deal with in the first 2 rounds. 

You asked what red flags and I gave my answer.  If those aren't red flags to you then that's ok we all have our own opinions here.  

I think you have to vet and find out what is true from false as best you can and if you feel comfortable with it then you proceed accordingly.   I don't think I can just say Surge89 I heard you did this, this, and that without any tangible proof and then say Surge89 has Red Flags.    It could be total falsehood.  The thing I know is certainly true is he took part of the season off.   I want to know what was the cause of that and I would definitely ask questions on some of the other things I heard and go from there.  They could be false flags more than Red Flags. If I'm comfortable from there then I'd pull the trigger.  I haven't seen anything else from other teams saying drafting him at round 2 is off limits.  I just don't believe he is the same guy as Antonio Callaway.  Now that's a guy with some strong Red Flags!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

The rehab stay was a rumor.  I don't think anyone has even been able to prove that to be true.

Not to say the rehab piece is true or false, but due to HIPAA laws, nobody would be able to confirm or deny his stay at a rehab facility other than Keys. Even if it is true, it would be up to Keys whether to give that information or not. He'll definitely have to answer for the time he took off from football, but at this point, we have no clue what that reason was.

To your above point, he's definitely nowhere near being on the same level as Callaway. No way I'd bring him into my locker room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trueman said:

No , it wasn’t anything against the words you chose. It’s just that people who don’t rank Chubb as highly tend to say similar things. He’s well rounded and solid , but perhaps lack the high end pass-rushing upside/athleticism you want from a DE drafted in the top 10.

I’m not saying one opinion is better than another , merely about philosophical approach : Is it wise to draft a DE at #6 if you feel he doesn’t have elite pass rushing potential? Does his overall game justify the #6 selection?

It’s important to distinguish between actually saying “he lacks elite pash-rushing ability”  as an absolute truth , and the philosophic approach of : “if it’s true that he does indeed lack those qualities  , is it still worth it?” 

That’s all I’ve been saying, not trying to argue with anyone’s opinion.

Alright I got ya.  I read a little to much into the wording haha.  I will say that Garrett had some great athletic traits.  Chubb still has plenty of upside as well.  He is far better than some say.  Many key scouts and GM's have even said he is really good.  I will say though that in a draft that is somewhat weak with top tier talent in this area he shines.  He still would have been a top-10 guy last year though imo.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm feeling like maybe Roquan Smith is still on the board around 12  and maybe to a lesser extent Edmunds so one of them  would probably be my pick.    Landry at 22 sure.

IMO, Smith and Edmunds are just as impactful as Chubb, Nelson, and Barkley and neither will be available at 12.

Perhaps we can entice Chicago to trade up 2 spots for Chubb.  I'd take it.  Get more picks and one of the franchise LBs would be my goal.  Then take the DE with one of our 2nds

I believe Josh Sweat is a pretty exciting prospect. This includes both combine and pro day figures:

Josh Sweat

Von Miller

Height

Weight

Arm

Hand

Bench

Vertical

Broad Jump

Shuttle

3 Cone

These are 2 ridiculously athletic edge rushers. Not saying Sweat will be as good as Miller, but athletically he's a pretty good comp. 

14 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I believe Josh Sweat is a pretty exciting prospect. This includes both combine and pro day figures:

Josh Sweat

Von Miller

Height

Weight

Arm

Hand

Bench

Vertical

Broad Jump

Shuttle

3 Cone

These are 2 ridiculously athletic edge rushers. Not saying Sweat will be as good as Miller, but athletically he's a pretty good comp. 

They certainly seem like they are athletically similar ER's.  And we compare and comp players all the time and get excited but in the end it's the intangibles that are discovered that separate them:  Their motivation, desire, personal history, level of competition, practice habits, IQ etc that is learned during the scouting, testing and personal history research that pushes the better prospects up the board and increases the probability of a great outcome IMO. 

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Chubb has an over 50% chance of falling as of now. More than likely 3 QBs go in the first 5 picks, the Browns take Barkley and the Broncos take Nelson. The other scenario is that the Browns take the Giants top QB, they panic and take Barkley, the Jets take a QB, the Browns take Minkah, and the Broncos take a QB or Nelson. Chubb seems like the odd man out to fall to 6 unless a weird scenario with a trade happens to change things up, which could happen.

That's what scares me the most Jared. Elway swoops in & takes Nelson before Ballard can claim him. I know the Broncos need OL help up front bad & if Nelson is still sitting there. Poof...Bye. I kind of settled in on getting Nelson for INDY now & hate the prospect of losing him now. Crap. 

I can't really have an in depth discussion on what to do if Chubb or Nelson are taken. I just heed what Krunk, JC, Chad72, & NCF tell me. I trust those guys to steer me straight in the draft. 

• Like 1

Man, I just wish I knew what the Giants were gonna do. Chubb or Barkley? I just think that because Big Blue is riding with Eli they are taking Barkley at RB since Manning really needs a strong running game to win games now. 

I love John Elway, but if he messes up our chances at landing Nelson, I'm gonna be royally ticked off. I know his ole buddy "Stick" Mark Schlereth is telling him to pull the trigger on Nelson...

Excuse while I swear frantically into my pillow. #&*^@! 

Originally, I was cool with a pass rusher, but if I'm being honest, Luck needs better protection up front. 

Curse you Elway for being a thorn in INDY's draft side not once but twice now...

No, I don't really despise HOF QB #7. It's a smart GM move on his part as VP of Football Operations in Denver. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Man, I just wish I knew what the Giants were gonna do. Chubb or Barkley? I just think that because Big Blue is riding with Eli they are taking Barkley at RB since Manning really needs a strong running game to win games now. 

I love John Elway, but if he messes up our chances at landing Nelson, I'm gonna be royally ticked off. I know his ole buddy "Stick" Mark Schlereth is telling him to pull the trigger on Nelson...

Excuse while I swear frantically into my pillow. #&*^@! 

Originally, I was cool with a pass rusher, but if I'm being honest, Luck needs better protection up front. 

Curse you Elway for being a thorn in INDY's draft side not once but twice now...

No, I don't really despise HOF QB #7. It's a smart GM move on his part as VP of Football Operations in Denver. 

I still think the Giants take a QB or trade down , SW.

It might be a case of me assuming they’ll do that because I think it makes the most sense , but I also kind of believe this “We believe in Eli” talk is a bit of a smokescreen.

If they actually believe in Eli , surely they would’ve taken the Jets proposal instead of us , no? Chubb/Nelson/Barkley would still be in play for them.

That team has too many holes to take a non-QB at #2 and not move down to #6.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I still think the Giants take a QB or trade down , SW.

It might be a case of me assuming they’ll do that because I think it makes the most sense , but I also kind of believe this “We believe in Eli” talk is a bit of a smokescreen.

If they actually believe in Eli , surely they would’ve taken the Jets proposal instead of us , no? Chubb/Nelson/Barkley would still be in play for them.

That team has too many holes to take a non-QB at #2 and not move down to #6.

Usually, the Mara & Tisch Family are so straight forward in their direction from previous draft yrs but this year; I have no idea what they are gonna do T-man. You could be right about the Eli smokescreen. It could be a distraction making other teams wonder uh oh we better trade with NY or lose the QB we truly want.

The 1 thing I respect about Big Blue ownership is that they get the importance of a solid OL for their face of the franchise to work his magic & they live & die by their pass rush. Which still makes me wonder why they let JPP go? He was still producing sacks or QB hurries at a high level. 

This time of yr is all about deception for sure. LOL! 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Usually, the Mara & Tisch Family are so straight forward in their direction from previous draft yrs but this year; I have no idea what they are gonna do T-man. You could be right about the Eli smokescreen. It could be a distraction making other teams wonder uh oh we better trade with NY or lose the QB we truly want.

The 1 thing I respect about Big Blue ownership is that they get the importance of a solid OL for their face of the franchise to work his magic & they live & die by their pass rush. Which still makes me wonder why they let JPP go? He was still produces sacks or QB hurries at a high level. 

I think the JPP trade was more of a “culture change” and getting rid of that contract.

He hasn’t been that elite guy in quite some time and they’re switching to the 3-4.

People think that tipped their hand towards drafting Chubb, but that’s not the case,imo. It was just a smart move independent of anything else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I can see Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson being the outliers.  You more than likely will see 3 or 4 QB's drafted within the top-6 picks imo.  Browns, Giants, Jets, and Broncos all look to improve their QB spot with a potential franchise guy.  So other than the Browns (Barkley) and their #4 pick, I see Chubb and Nelson being there for us personally.  But who knows, this year the draft might be a little crazy.

Don't get me excited with false hope man. I agree with ya on the Browns & Jets going QB. I have to give Elway credit for getting Case K. from Minnesota so cheap & keeping vets around their new QB. Denver still has a good defense. I just know John. As a former field general himself, he gets how crucial protection is & an extra few seconds to throw. John can't draft a QB to save his caboose, but he nails quality trades at the QB spot. I gotta admit that.

I like that Elway admits when he misfires too. We all know Paxton Lynch is a bust & John knows it. I admire that about him. Owning his mistakes. Very hard to do as a player & now front office guy. 

14 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

The 1 thing I respect about Big Blue ownership is that they get the importance of a solid OL for their face of the franchise to work his magic & they live & die by their pass rush. Which still makes me wonder why they let JPP go? He was still producing sacks or QB hurries at a high level. 

The OBJ situation will also be telling. If they trade him, that firmly puts the "One last ride with Eli" narrative to rest. They are then firmly in a rebuild and one would think QB has to be the pick.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The OBJ situation will also be telling. If they trade him, that firmly puts the "One last ride with Eli" narrative to rest. They are then firmly in a rebuild and one would think QB has to be the pick.

Yeah, OBJ isn't helping his new contract cause any by refusing to step on the field until he gets a new deal. That won't fly with a new HC in Pat Shurmur. He's got no time for mind games Mr. Head & Shoulders spokesman. 

Plus, OBJ lost that playoff game to Rogers & the GB Packers & when you want a new deal, the 2 things owners wanna know: Are you gonna embarrass my organization & how many playoff games did you help us win? Oops! So much for leverage there dude. 

Even Eli's gotta know his replacement is coming. 

Also, if I remember correctly, the Giants lost that SNF game OBJ made that 1 handed miracle catch in too. I will never forget that game cause Cris Collinsworth went overboard with his incessant praise of OBJ that night. 

5 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Ah, I disagree. I think OBJ is a separate situation just like JPP. They still have Shepard, Marshall, Engram.

He wants 20 million/year (apparently), and if they move him it won’t be because they’re looking to rebuild. It will be because of the off-the-field incidents and the money. 

That being said , I’m pretty sure he’s staying in NY.  It would have to be a mammoth offer to get him.

7 minutes ago, Trueman said:

He wants 20 million/year (apparently),

Yeah, I heard that on NFL Total Access & laughed. The kid's talented, but not QB money talented & like I stated before with my SNF example that I added above--OBJ hasn't shown he's a playoff winner yet. Great WRs pull teams over the hump when necessary. OBJ has yet to demonstrate he can do that. 

He's quite the acrobat on the field. Clutch winner not so much....

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, I heard that on NFL Total Access & laughed. The kid's talented, but not QB money talented & like I stated before with my SNF example that I added above--OBJ hasn't shown he's a playoff winner yet. Great WRs pull teams over the hump when necessary. OBJ has yet to demonstrate he can do that. 

He's quite the acrobat on the field. Clutch winner not so much....

Well, to me, he’s the best or at worst 3rd best WR in the league. And Sammy Watkins just got 16 million /year and they aren’t even in the same stratosphere.

I wouldn’t be so harsh on judging wins (or lack there of) on him or the wide receiver position in general.

If you take a look at his numbers, and Eli’s and the Giants offence’s as a whole without him, his impact is historic. Honestly , his impact can’t be denied , and if you know just how bad McAdoo’s offence was you should be even more impressed. It was the worst offensive scheme in the NFL -full stop. Horrible.

If the guy rubs you the wrong way, I can understand that to a degree, but he’s a generational talent with the production to back it up. 

Judging WR’s on wins is pretty harsh. Hell, I think even judging QB’s on wins can be harsh. The fact that wins are a stat attributed to QB’s is foolish, imo. Football is the ultimate team game.

37 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I think the JPP trade was more of a “culture change” and getting rid of that contract.

He hasn’t been that elite guy in quite some time and they’re switching to the 3-4.

I heard that rumor. I can't picture JPP being a disruptive or unruly influence on say new rookies in the locker room though. Okay, I have never met the man personally & have no idea that's true. I'm just loyal to guys I like & JPP fits that category for me. Besides, he was still getting like 8-10 sacks last season. Pretty solid without a thumb in the dirt. 

The 3-4 switch seems legit for the exit from NY to me. That I will accept. 

I don't know. Given the blocks & double teams JPP was required to shed to even get to opposing QBs, I considered him still a productive pass rusher myself. 

Maybe it's just that Pat Shurmur wants nobody in the locker room who would question his new message. 

12 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I heard that rumor. I can't picture JPP being a disruptive or unruly influence on say new rookies in the locker room though. Okay, I have never met the man personally & have no idea that's true. I'm just loyal to guys I like & JPP fits that category for me. Besides, he was still getting like 8-10 sacks last season. Pretty solid without a thumb in the dirt. 

The 3-4 switch seems legit for the exit from NY to me. That I will accept. 

I don't know. Given the blocks & double teams JPP was required to shed to even get to opposing QBs, I considered him still a productive pass rusher myself. 

Maybe it's just that Pat Shurmur wants nobody in the locker room who would question his new message. 

Yeah, I can’t say anything towards his character - I can only report what I’ve heard.

As for the trade, this is from Big Blue View :

Heather Peterson asks: Do you think the JPP move was a good idea?

Ed says: Yes. I think this was an excellent move for the Giants. 

I think that the contract Pierre-Paul got from the Giants was for too many years and too much money. Getting out from under it saves the Giants massive amounts of money in 2019 and 2020, money that can be put towards either or both Odell Beckham Jr. and Landon Collins

I also think it removes a player who I believe has already played his best football and wasn’t a good fit for the new defensive scheme. Getting a third-round pick in return is also excellent value.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Well, to me, he’s the best or at worst 3rd best WR in the league. And Sammy Watkins just got 16 million /year and they aren’t even in the same stratosphere.

I wouldn’t be so harsh on judging wins (or lack there of) on him or the wide receiver position in general.

If you take a look at his numbers, and Eli’s and the Giants offence’s as a whole without him, his impact is historic. Honestly , his impact can’t be denied , and if you know just how bad McAdoo’s offence was you should be even more impressed. It was the worst offensive scheme in the NFL -full stop. Horrible.

If the guy rubs you the wrong way, I can understand that to a degree, but he’s a generational talent with the production to back it up. 

Judging WR’s on wins is pretty harsh. Hell, I think even judging QB’s on wins can be harsh. The fact that wins are a stat attributed to QB’s is foolish, imo. Football is the ultimate team game.

I honestly don't think 1 signature playoff win is too much to ask. If a WR considers himself elite, show me that OBJ can actually help his team advance. I think too much emphasis gets placed on ProBowls actually: A fan popularity contest & nothing more. 

Absolutely, Sammy Watkins stole money from the Chiefs no question. 

What's McAdoo got to do with anything? Okay sure, he called the offense on his larger than life cheese cake menu of plays, but if OBJ is truly a difference maker, he should be able to get a crucial win late in the yr. We're not talking about a Championship Game victory here. Team sport? Yes, however, when a crucial conversion has to be made on offense, we all know where they are going right? And OBJ has to at least catch the ball & keep the chains moving. 

Look, I get it. 1 WR can't do it all. But, if Lions QB Matthew Stafford's biggest knock is he hasn't had that 1 win to take his reputation to another NFL stratosphere, why can't the same standard be applied to an elite WR like OBJ? 

I understand your point T-man & perhaps my standards for OBJ are too high, I just think if he wants serious cash 12-15 million...His lack of production into wins doesn't warrant that income level at all. If he had a dogfight playoff game & barely lost, I'd be fine with that because it would show his focus & determination on winning games vs social media headlines. JMO. 

I will throw OBJ this bone of forgiveness: Because LT Flowers sucked & couldn't protect Eli's blindside, Manning couldn't get OBJ the ball consistently. Fine. But with Nate Solder there now, I better see Eli's completions go up & more opportunities for OBJ to score TDs. 

He's earned a new contract. Just don't go crazy. haha Yes, I know OBJ is their best weapon right now but still...

We have so many holes that the best thing would be to fill other holes. Sheard/Autry/Basham isn’t ideal but we can roll with it for a year. I would be more concerned with filling our O line and LBs. I would try to trade back and land a 2019 1st to a team with a lot of question marks. That pick could end up being a high first. 

1 hour ago, Trueman said:

That being said , I’m pretty sure he’s staying in NY.  It would have to be a mammoth offer to get him.

Not only that, NYC has the biggest media market in the world. OBJ isn't a fool. He knows if he's a favorite in the Big Apple his post NFL career would be limitless. Just Micheal Strahan ask who works for Fox NFL Sunday & Good Morning America now. 

OBJ is definitely staying put & not leaving. The guy may act like a clown, but he is very savvy on brand building. 

Alright. I'll shut up now. There was much rejoicing & celebrating. Hey! I probably deserve that. LOL! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s now reason to believe we won’t get Chubb. The question is what to do if we don’t. Davenport might go round one, and I’m not one of the people who think we’re going to trade down with the Bills do he’s off the table. Do we grab a not as elite DE project or wait until 2019? Next year could feature Clelin Ferrell and Nick Bosa.

By the way.....     since I've been pretty hard on your from time to time (it's only because I care)  I think it's only fair that I give you props for this thread.

THIS is a good thread.    And look at all the quality responses it's generated.    This is what I love.    Good ideas that lead to great discussions.

Well done!     Much appreciated!       :thmup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

honestly don't think 1 signature playoff win is too much to ask

He’s 25 years old , SW. And he isn’t exactly playing for a juggernaut. 

Marvin Harrison playoff wins at 25 : 0

Larry Fitzgerald: 0

Calvin Johnson : 0

I mean, I could go on , but you get the point.

12 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

think too much emphasis gets placed on ProBowls actually: A fan popularity contest & nothing more. 

Hah, it’s far more than just a popularity contest, SW :

Fastest to reach 250 career receptions (38 games)

Fastest to reach 200 career receptions (30 games)

Fastest to reach 4,000 career receiving yards

Most games with 125+ receiving yards in first three seasons

Most receiving yards in first two NFL seasons: 2,744

Most consecutive games with 130+ receiving yards, 1+ touchdown

Only player in NFL history to have 1,300+ receiving yards while playing in 12 or fewer games in season

Highest average receiving yards per game, rookie, season

PFF All-Pro : 4 seasons out of 4. NFL All-Pro: 2 Seasons All-Pro. Rookie of the year.

25 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Absolutely, Sammy Watkins stole money from the Chiefs no question

Antonio Brown - 17 million 

Mike Evans - 16.5 million

DeAndre Hopkins - 16.2 million

Sammy Watkins - 16 million

Jarvis Landry - 16 million 

A.J Green - 15 million

Devante Adams - 14.5 million

Dez Bryant - 14 million

Allen Robinson - 14 million

31 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

What's McAdoo got to do with anything?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/23/16353042/ben-mcadoo-new-york-giants-head-coach-play-calling-eli-manning

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/12/4/16625634/new-york-giants-fire-head-coach-ben-mcadoo-2017-nfl-season

https://nypost.com/2017/11/24/giants-offensive-numbers-under-ben-mcadoo-are-horrifying/

41 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

but if OBJ is truly a difference maker, he should be able to get a crucial win late in the yr. We're not talking about a Championship victory here. Team sport? Yes, however, when a crucial conversion has to be made on offense, we all know where they are going right? And OBJ has to at least catch the ball & keep the chains moving. 

You’re judging him on one game. One! He was doubled/tripled teamed in Lambeau as a 23 year old. C’mon man.... he wasn’t exactly playing for the ‘99 Rams.

48 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Look, I get it. 1 WR can't do it all. But, if Lions QB Matthew Stafford's biggest knock is he hasn't had that 1 win to take his reputation to another NFL stratosphere, why can't the same standard be applied to an elite WR like OBJ

Well for one, you’re comparing him to a QB. Secondly , Stafford is 30 years old.

Trent Dilfer had a better playoff record than Calvin Johnson so: Dilfer> Johnson , I guess.

54 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

His lack of production into wins doesn't warrant that income level at all.

These are Eli Manning’s stats with and without Odell on the field over the last three seasons:

With Odell: Cmp% 63.4; Y/att 7.0; TD 66; INT 29; Sack% 3.8; Rating 91; QBR 56.1

—Without: Cmp% 60.4; Y/att 6.0; TD 14; INT 14; Sack% 5.2; Rating 75; QBR 40.0

......if that doesn’t show a WR impacting “winning” , I’m not sure what does.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

If he had a dogfight playoff game & barely lost, I'd be fine with that

Dude, you’re shaping your entire opinion of him from one game...against the Packers...at Lambeau. And the entire team got it’s butt kicked. Why are you expecting a WR with an inept coach, aging QB , going against a better team on the road, at the age of 23 , getting double and tripled teamed to not only have a fantastic individual game , but to somehow keep the game close singlehanded? ..........What? How is that remotely reasonable? He’s a receiver...

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

because it would show his focus & determination on winning games vs social media headlines

So if he singlehandedly won that game at Lambeau years ago, that would’ve proven his focus and determination to you? Come on man. He’s breaking records, Eli and the offence is terrible without him, and McAdoo was one of the worst-play callers in recent memory.

If the “social media headlines” and some of his antics rub you the wrong way -fine. But please don’t let that get in the way of being objective towards judging him as a player.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, J@son said:

well that's not even remotely true :P  but with the nonsense that gets posted here on a daily basis, if there's no clear indication in the post that it's a joke (which there wasn't) then there's no way to distinguish the nonsense from the jokes. :P

Okay, I give. My comment about Andrew throwing a Barbie doll with a football in her hand was, indeed, a joke.