Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst Case Scenario

We need to be prepared for the worst case scenario that I will list below

1.Browns-Sam Darnold QB

2.Giants-Saquan Barkley RB

3.Jets-Josh Rosen QB

4.Browns-Bradley Chubb DE

5.Broncos-Quenton Nelson G

Now if we run into this scenario, we are in trouble because not only is Chubb gone, but now Nelson is off the board as well. Yes most likely the broncos will go QB, but im playing devil's advocate. Smokescreen or not, Elway has gone on record saying how much he likes Keenum so he might go BPA especially if Chubb is there. What I would do is take fitzpatrick. I still believe we can move fitzpatrick to CB, however a lot of posters here aren't willing to take a chance like that. Ward is another route we could go or even Edmunds. Another idea is trading back with either the bills or cards who also need QBs as mayfield and allen are still on the board. A lot of options at 12 or 15 like Roquan Smith, Mike Mcglinchley, or Josh Jackson.

That could be a best case scenario for us. My problem with this year's draft is that the 2 of the 3 jump out non qb talents are playing G and RB. If they were OT, WR, CB, DT, I'd take any one of them and be happy. But drafting a G or RB this high means we pay them top5, top10 veteran money from day one. That is competitive disadvantage, no matter how good they are.

So this case is good for us, because someone elses reached for Nelson/Barkley, and there are some QB's still available, so our pick still worth a lot. I'd trade back and pick one of Minkah / Ward / Edmund / Derwin James / Vea, whoever is higher on Ballards board and use the extra 2nd rounder(s or more) to pick another potential starter.

Ward isn't a Ballard prototype at corner, so Edmunds would likely be the pick. But the thing is with your scenario, is that Nelson, Barkley, and Chubb are the 3 truly premium players in the draft. So at 6, you could explore a trade down. Minkah and Edmunds might also be in that tier of premium players though.

I don't believe the Browns will take Chubb at 4 tbh, I think they'll take Ward/Fitzpatrick. Their secondary is still rocky, while their pass rush has by Myles Garret and Emmanuel Ogbah a 2016 32nd overall pick. He's played well, and they still have a gaping hole at both CB and S. 

But, if it does fall this way, or, say you swap Chubb and Barkley from 2 to 4 (Which I find more likely) then this isn't even a bad scenario. We have lots of holes to fill, so trading down is always gonna be an option. With Josh Allen (The top QB according to a lot of teams) is still available, there will more than likely be a large bidding war for him at 6. 

Buffalo could offer 12, 22 and 2 2nds. Quite the haul for the second straight trade down. I'd be all for that. 

At 12, I'd look at Smith/Edmunds/Ward. One should still be available. 

At 22, I'd look pass rush or OL, Davenport/Landry, Wynn/Daniels/McGlinchey

And now with 5 (!!) 2nds, I'd look to address: RB, DT, LB, CB, OG/DE (whichever not taken at 22). 

Then in the second scoop a WR, 4th and on go relative BPA to needs. 

Thats a hell of a haul. 

If that happened, and it easily could, we would definitely trade back.  Those two QB's are definitely going along with Chubb and most likely Barkley.  If I'm the Bills I acquire our pick now therefore assuring themselves of the 3rd. QB off the board. The Jets traded early to assure themselves of the 2nd.QB. and we made the deal. We want picks and the Bills have the high ones to trade and it's clear they want to move up.  If I am the Colts I don't see the need to wait until draft day.  I don't see anyone beating the Bills offer so we should get it done early like we did with the Jets.   I don't think Elway will take a QB after acquiring Keenum unless it was the one he had rated no.1 which is most likely Darnold or Rosen.  He'll go BPA and get a starter.  No reason to wait IMO. Get it over with and relax and have fun figuring out how to use all of those picks.  

14 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

I don't believe the Browns will take Chubb at 4 tbh, I think they'll take Ward/Fitzpatrick. Their secondary is still rocky, while their pass rush has by Myles Garret and Emmanuel Ogbah a 2016 32nd overall pick. He's played well, and they still have a gaping hole at both CB and S. 

But, if it does fall this way, or, say you swap Chubb and Barkley from 2 to 4 (Which I find more likely) then this isn't even a bad scenario. We have lots of holes to fill, so trading down is always gonna be an option. With Josh Allen (The top QB according to a lot of teams) is still available, there will more than likely be a large bidding war for him at 6. 

Buffalo could offer 12, 22 and 2 2nds. Quite the haul for the second straight trade down. I'd be all for that. 

At 12, I'd look at Smith/Edmunds/Ward. One should still be available. 

At 22, I'd look pass rush or OL, Davenport/Landry, Wynn/Daniels/McGlinchey

And now with 5 (!!) 2nds, I'd look to address: RB, DT, LB, CB, OG/DE (whichever not taken at 22). 

Then in the second scoop a WR, 4th and on go relative BPA to needs. 

Thats a hell of a haul. 

No one is going to beat the Bills offer.  The Bills picks are so high.  Do it now. 

With those two QB's still on the board we really could get a great return. However, I'm not sure why so few people are on the Fitzpatrick bandwagon. I think he could be every bit the pro that Chub could be.

I also like the idea of creating a killer secondary, which would at least give us some kind of identity.

g

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

We need to be prepared for the worst case scenario that I will list below

1.Browns-Sam Darnold QB

2.Giants-Saquan Barkley RB

3.Jets-Josh Rosen QB

4.Browns-Bradley Chubb DE

5.Broncos-Quenton Nelson G

Now if we run into this scenario, we are in trouble because not only is Chubb gone, but now Nelson is off the board as well. Yes most likely the broncos will go QB, but im playing devil's advocate. Smokescreen or not, Elway has gone on record saying how much he likes Keenum so he might go BPA especially if Chubb is there. What I would do is take fitzpatrick. I still believe we can move fitzpatrick to CB, however a lot of posters here aren't willing to take a chance like that. Ward is another route we could go or even Edmunds. Another idea is trading back with either the bills or cards who also need QBs as mayfield and allen are still on the board. A lot of options at 12 or 15 like Roquan Smith, Mike Mcglinchley, or Josh Jackson.

I see Ward or Edmonds there.

sneaky possibility Marcus Davenport. There's something there that reminds me of the old KC defensive end, Neil Smith.