Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

R.Melvin in discussion with Raiders along with others.

I’ll be curious to see if Melvin gets his offer and come back to the Colts to match it or if he feels slighted and takes his best offer and leaves. 

Either way way people should be calm. We lost Vontae last year in-season and the guys we played were not first round rookies nor big time free agents. 

We picked Desir and Melvin up for peanuts and they played well. Hairston was a late round pick and played well. Wilson might be a starter now and was a 2nd rounder. 

If if last year is any indication, one thing the staff did well was find cheaper, lesser known corners and turn them into decent players. 

If the pass pass rush and Dline are addressed adequately then we will get by without any 8-12M corners. 

Id like to see Melvin rewarded and see him come back. But I’m not looking to pay a 28 yr old journeyman huge money for a half season of production done once in his career. Especially w us changing schemes now. So if we lose Melvin I won’t fret. I hope he gets a good offer wherever he goes. 

30 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yeah, i dont get not trying to re-sign Melvin. He wasnt terrific but he was a pretty good starter. If he goes elsewhere we have to add starting CB to our growing list of draft needs.

I don't get what we are doing if he truly thinks he will build this whole team through the draft then this team wont be competing for a long time yet.

31 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yeah, i dont get not trying to re-sign Melvin. He wasnt terrific but he was a pretty good starter. If he goes elsewhere we have to add starting CB to our growing list of draft needs.

We have tried to re-sign him.   Haven't been able to agree on a contract.   

Hopefully this one isnt over....    yet.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I don't get what we are doing if he truly thinks he will build this whole team through the draft then this team wont be competing for a long time yet.

It's somewhat a figure of speech...   it means the key players are drafted, and free agency is used to fill in the holes and gaps with shorter term fixes.

13 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I’ll be curious to see if Melvin gets his offer and come back to the Colts to match it or if he feels slighted and takes his best offer and leaves. 

Either way way people should be calm. We lost Vontae last year in-season and the guys we played were not first round rookies nor big time free agents. 

We picked Desir and Melvin up for peanuts and they played well. Hairston was a late round pick and played well. Wilson might be a starter now and was a 2nd rounder. 

If if last year is any indication, one thing the staff did well was find cheaper, lesser known corners and turn them into decent players. 

If the pass pass rush and Dline are addressed adequately then we will get by without any 8-12M corners. 

Id like to see Melvin rewarded and see him come back. But I’m not looking to pay a 28 yr old journeyman huge money for a half season of production done once in his career. Especially w us changing schemes now. So if we lose Melvin I won’t fret. I hope he gets a good offer wherever he goes. 

Yeah, I'd be interesting to see what happens behind the scenes. Another, advantage to switching to a Tampa 2 would be that we don't need great cover corners but rather corners that can play in zones and better know how to tackle. I'd love to bring back Melvin on a 2-3 year deal and then grab another DB in the draft. Jaire Alexander in the 2nd, Anthony Averett in the 3rd, or Micheal Joseph (Cliff Harris award winner) in the 4-5th area would be phenomenal pick ups.

Folks,

i like melvin, I want him back as much as anyone on here. But let's look at the facts, he has had to date, really only one "good" year, that being last year with us. That is what gives me pause when it comes to offering him CB1 type money. There's not enough to support it. My guess is that is why we didn't try to resign him during the season and why we're letting him test the market. 

20 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

then get ready for a very long rebuild that results in atleast two more pathetic seasons.

J...,

it is is pretty much agreed that the three best players in the draft are Barkley, Nelson and Chubb.   We could use any if them and with the third overall pick we could grab one just staying there...

But Ballard has signaled a willingness guess to trade back...   perhaps more than once?

Why?

To gain extra picks on an attempt to speed up the rebuild.  He's willing to sacrifice one of the three great players in the draft in an attempt to draft many very good players that should be on the roster now, but aren't thanks to Grigson.

So...  Ballard IS trying to build thus as fast as he can...  I'm sure with Irsay's full support.

The Colts that Ballard inherited we/are a mess.   It'll take time, but hopefully not too long! 

Bettet days ahead!  

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If he goes elsewhere we have to add starting CB to our growing list of draft needs.

With the way it's going, you'll almost have to trade down just to fill out the roster.  Might have to get a player back in the trade as well.

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I’d agree with this statement unless Melvin and his agent have grossly overestimated his playing value. Does anyone know who his agent is? 

I don't know but it could end up being a Jake Scott or Jerrell Freeman like situation. Colts offer something, the player goes to a different team, comes down to earth realizing the most the other team would do is match but with his pride butt hurt, he does not give the Colts to one up their offer and signs with the other team out of spite and hurt pride.

I'd rather the Colts tell a player without making an offer to test the market, go see what he is worth and come back and ask the Colts if they can match or better it. I know it would be like playing games but that takes the hurt pride of a man out of the equation.

15 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I guess we are trying to pick up some comp picks.

That's a possibility. Certainly if guys like Melvin and Mewhort and Moncrief and Gore's playing time and contracts are big enough compared to who we bring in then we very well may get compensatory picks next year. Nobody has really been focused on that side of things. It can explain why we haven't been aggressive on the big name free agents. That said guys like Ebron and Suh and others that were CUT....those don't factor into the calculations...only free agents that finished their contracts....so that is something to consider moving forward. Guys that were cap casualties we can spend on and it won't offset what we lost. Good call!!