Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the Lack of FA Signings

So with the lack of FA signings, I’m starting to think the Colts will possibly trade down and accumulate picks. I was not a fan of this, because I was on the Chubb at #3 bandwagon. So many holes to fill on a team void of talent. What is everyone thoughts on trades or FA signings still out there? 

4 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Trade back with Buffalo. Get their 2 1st round picks plus one of their 3rd round picks. 

Only problem is do they still want a QB? They signed A.J MCcarron to a two year deal. I’m not saying that means they still want or don’t want a QB, but it makes you have to wonder if they are willing to give up a kings ranson now. I don’t think you can be confident going forward with him as your QB.

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I'm beginning to think Chubb might not be there at 3. Both teams ahead of us just got a RB and one got a QB, so he might go to one of those teams anyway

I concur, and with Sheard on one side and the lone splash the Colts signed from the Raiders, I’m thinking Chubb won’t be a Colt. Disappointed but what the heck do I know.

10 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I'm beginning to think Chubb might not be there at 3. Both teams ahead of us just got a RB and one got a QB, so he might go to one of those teams anyway

Just remember. One of Barkley, Chubb or Nelson has to be there. We can't lose no matter what if we stay at 3.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

If Chubb is there I say the colts still take him assuming Ballard likes him as much as the "experts".  The colts need difference makers and this draft seems to be in low supply of that need.

Free agency is weak on playmakers too, imo.

looking closer, this really looks like this free agency is void of top-talents.  Even most of the "top" free agents already signed have question marks.  i personally wouldnt throw that much money at a player with injury history, question marks, etc.

10 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I just can’t see taking Barkley at #3 with the current roster.

Well, if it makes you and everyone here feel better, I don't see any situation where both Nelson and Chubb are the top 2 picks. The Browns will take Barkley or a QB at 1. If someone trades up with them, that team will take a QB. Then we get whichever player of Chubb or Nelson that the Giants don't take.

Saw a really interesting mock idea with the Colts trading down with the Bills for 12, 22 and a 2nd. 

They had the Colts taking Tremaine Edmunds at 12 and Rouqan Smith at 22 with Guice with the extra 2nd. 

Honestly, I'd love this. It would be the start of a young, stud linebacking corpse. 

10 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Saw a really interesting mock idea with the Colts trading down with the Bills for 12, 22 and a 2nd. 

They had the Colts taking Tremaine Edmunds at 12 and Rouqan Smith at 22 with Guice with the extra 2nd. 

Honestly, I'd love this. It would be the start of a young, stud linebacking corpse. 

All about it!

I think we are definitely trading back and there will be more than one suitor.  If it's Buffalo, and I think it will be,  it will be for both of their 1's and 2's at a minimum.  Forget the value charts . The Bills are most aggressive team now.  They want a QB and they can easily pay a premium.  I don't think we will wait until draft day to do it either.  We are going to want the picks in place so we have plenty of time to work out other trade scenarios up or down when the draft starts.  The Browns and Giants have a lot more strategizing to do. Therefore we should make the trade asap after the FA frenzy is over.  The Bills should be extremely happy with the 3rd. pick.  And we will be happy too.  It's a win win and I would get it done quickly. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think we are definitely trading back and there will be more than one suitor.  If it's Buffalo, and I think it will be,  it will be for both of their 1's and 2's at a minimum.  Forget the value charts . The Bills are most aggressive team now.  They want a QB and they can easily pay a premium.  I don't think we will wait until draft day to do it either.  We are going to want the picks in place so we have plenty of time to work out other trade scenarios up or down when the draft starts.  The Browns and Giants have a lot more strategizing to do. Therefore we should make the trade asap after the FA frenzy is over.  The Bills should be extremely happy with the 3rd. pick.  And we will be happy too.  It's a win win and I would get it done quickly. 

I’m warming up to a trade unfortunately!

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

So with the lack of FA signings, I’m starting to think the Colts will possibly trade down and accumulate picks. I was not a fan of this, because I was on the Chubb at #3 bandwagon. So many holes to fill on a team void of talent. What is everyone thoughts on trades or FA signings still out there? 

Not sure how that connection is made. Still players available....and even if we don't sign anymore, we may still select at #3 

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm all for the trade back but not asap like you are suggesting unless its for all of Buffalo's remaining draft picks which will not happen. I just feel like the longer we hold on to it the more expensive it will become, and we will still have time to make other deals in the mean time. That's why you shop #3 around but hold onto it as long as possible. 

1 hour ago, neug3246 said:

I'm all for the trade back but not asap like you are suggesting unless its for all of Buffalo's remaining draft picks which will not happen. I just feel like the longer we hold on to it the more expensive it will become, and we will still have time to make other deals in the mean time. That's why you shop #3 around but hold onto it as long as possible. 

That's one way to look at it but the longer we wait the more time the Browns and Giants have to look at their options and when and if they want to draft a QB and at what pick.  Either one of them could work a trade with the Bills as well.  IMO the quicker we move the better.  3 is a great pick and I think you take advantage of it especially with the Bills and their obvious desire to get a top pick. We could lose out on our advantage if we wait " as long as possible" whatever that unknown day is.  Which in itself could also come before draft day and the Bills work a deal with the Giants or Browns.  I would rather not take the gamble and beat them to it before they have figured out what they are going to do. 

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That's one way to look at it but the longer we wait the more time the Browns and Giants have to look at their options and when and if they want to draft a QB and at what pick.  Either one of them could work a trade with the Bills as well.  IMO the quicker we move the better.  3 is a great pick and I think you take advantage of it especially with the Bills and their obvious desire to get a top pick. We could lose out on our advantage if we wait " as long as possible" whatever that unknown day is.  Which in itself could also come before draft day and the Bills work a deal with the Giants or Browns.  I would rather not take the gamble and beat them to it before they have figured out what they are going to do. 

well regardless I don't think they will do anything until at least the day before or on draft day, same with any other top 5 draft pick.

My view would be to leave any trade until right before the draft - either the night before or draft day itself. The worst case I can see happening in this scenario is someone trading with the Giants to get a QB.

if that happens, it could prompt a rush for QBs, in which case the Colts will still have plenty of offers at #3 and still have a chance to get a player they wanted at #3 (like Chubb).

Trading with Buffalo now would seem misguided in my opinion.

If that is his plan he is putting a lot of pressure on himself to hit on these upcoming draft picks. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I believe you have to spend 90% of the cap over a 4 year period so I am not sure why we aren't spending on some of these top level guys that would fill a position of need and take some pressure of the draft. It would be different if we had a bunch of great draft picks the last 3-4 years and we need to save money to re sign some of those guys after their rookie contracts but that's not the case at all.

If there are teams willing to play player x a certain amount then that tells me that the market says he is worth that much in today's age of these bigger contracts. I would of happily overpaid for a guy like Norwell that didn't allow a sack or pressure all year in 2017. Its been a 4 year project to protect Luck and that would of been an anchor on the oline along with Kelly for years to come.

I have been critical of Ballard's approach but I still really like him as a GM and know he has a plan but it stinks when we miss out on such a good player at a position we are desperate for.

Let's not forget when the Redskins offered 3 firsts & 2 seconds to move up to # 2 overall in 2012 to get RG3 they made that trade with the Rams on March 12. The Rams weren't gonna wait for a better offer because they knew there wouldn't be a better one.

The Bills are the best deal we can get. Atleast 2 firsts & 2 seconds would make this happen imo. With a possibility of getting their first next year as well. The Bills are the only logical trading partner for us right now, & it seems it'll stay that way. 

12 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

That would be nice!!

12 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

linebacking corpse?!?!??!?! We already had one of those and his name is Jon Bostic

13 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Question: Why would we take 2 ILBs in the 1st round???  Most mocks have Smith going no more than a couple picks after Edmunds.  Instead why not get which one of the two that is there and at 22 get Hernandez.

I do not see Guice making it to the 2nd round.  Not sure I would take Guice even if he is there.  I like Michel (after watching tape and combine) and Penny (who has been on my radar since 2016).  What every one is forgetting about Penny is that in 2016. Penny had 1,000 yds rushing while relieving Pumphrey.

With the other 2nd round pick, I would look at D.J. Chark, WR from LSU