Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Back Ideas

Alright, it seems the majority of us are split on who to take at #3. I also can tell we're not all opposed to trading back.

So for those of us that would like to speculate and share their their opinion/point of view, what should we do if we actually do trade out of the #3 overall spot?

Where would like to see us trade back to? 

What would be the haul for the trade on both sides?

And of course, who would you target & realistically hope would drop to those picks?

And above all, lets be civil with each other. 

I'd go for a trade with the Bills. They have the ammo, they need (or rather want) a franchise QB,  they have a newer GM and Head coach that want their own choice at QB instead of a hold over. So the stars align with them for me. 

Bills Receive - #3 

Colts receive - #21,#22,#53,#56

That's a nice haul in my opinion. It would give us 6 picks in the top 70 to work with. That would equal out to around 2,300 worth of draft capital for Buffalo's picks in exchange for our 2,200 worth of capital in the #3 overall pick, depending on the draft chart you use. Supposedly if you get a return 100 in value or more you're winning the deal. So by those standards we would definitely win this trade, though I could see a late round pick being thrown in to sweeten the deal for us even more. 

As for who I'd be targeting with those picks, I'm not 100% sure. But I've got 4 players I'd hope would be around for the #21 & #22 picks; Mike McGlinchey - OT, Harold Landry - EDGE, Josh Jackson - CB, & Billy Price - OG. I'd be happy with any combination of them. As for the #36, #53 & #56 picks we'd have in the second round, I'd hope for a choice of Kyle Vander Esch - LB, Isaiah Wynn - OG, Carlton Davis - CB, Brain O'Neil - OT, Arden Key - EDGE, & James Washington - WR  to slip & be there when we take those picks. Again, any combination of these guys would be just fine to me. 

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I would do the Buffalo trade before Jets trade all day...21-Taven Bryan..22-Billy Price..36-Vander Esch 53-Okoronkwo..56-Goedert..67-St.Brown

See I'd rather do a slight trade down with Tampa Bay being the furthest I'd want to move down, unless someone like Arizona offers up a huge haul to move up from the mid 1st to 3rd overall. I'd still like to end up with an elite talent, someone like Quenton Nelson if possible. 

Would do the trade with Buffalo if we filled some big holes via Free Agency.  The picks from Buffalo would really help fill the not-so-big holes with some talent.

If we don't hit big in free agency, then we'd probably not want to drop that far in Round 1, even for 2 picks in the 1st.

I guess it depends on the free agents we sign and what are needs are come draft time.

23 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

See I'd rather do a slight trade down with Tampa Bay being the furthest I'd want to move down, unless someone like Arizona offers up a huge haul to move up from the mid 1st to 3rd overall. I'd still like to end up with an elite talent, someone like Quenton Nelson if possible. 

Nelson is most likely a sure thing Pro Bowler, I like Price a lot too though, and this trade is the only way I see us being able to get Bryan who is gonna be a beast, I doubt he is there in 2nd..

11 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

What if we trade with the jets and get their 1,2,3 then trade again with the bills and get their 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd

If we could swindle this deal I wouldn't be upset.  That gives you 2 picks in the 1st round and 3 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  That is a good amount of draft capital if it were to happen. 

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

If we could swindle this deal I wouldn't be upset.  That gives you 2 picks in the 1st round and 3 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  That is a good amount of draft capital if it were to happen. 

Ya and we have so many holes that hitting on 5/8 picks would be much more valuable to our team than drafting Chubb or Barkley 

6 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya and we have so many holes that hitting on 5/8 picks would be much more valuable to our team than drafting Chubb or Barkley 

Both could still be a huge asset though.  I agree though if we have 8 picks within the top 3 rounds we should be able to get some talent where we need it.  Plus you add some FA talent and you can allow for a good infusion of talent and movement with the roster.

5 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

What if we trade with the jets and get their 1,2,3 then trade again with the bills and get their 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd

I'd definitely be in favor of these trades. I'm just not sold on the Jets trading up for someone. I've been hearing all day that Cousins is likely to go to the Jets since they've been vocal about spending whatever it takes to get him. If Cousins is indeed chasing the money, New York seems to be the best spot for him. If that doesn't happen though, the Jets would be our most likely trade partner.

3 hours ago, Luckuania said:

Alright, it seems the majority of us are split on who to take at #3. I also can tell we're not all opposed to trading back.

So for those of us that would like to speculate and share their their opinion/point of view, what should we do if we actually do trade out of the #3 overall spot?

Where would like to see us trade back to? 

What would be the haul for the trade on both sides?

And of course, who would you target & realistically hope would drop to those picks?

And above all, lets be civil with each other. 

I'd go for a trade with the Bills. They have the ammo, they need (or rather want) a franchise QB,  they have a newer GM and Head coach that want their own choice at QB instead of a hold over. So the stars align with them for me. 

Bills Receive - #3 

Colts receive - #21,#22,#53,#56

That's a nice haul in my opinion. It would give us 6 picks in the top 70 to work with. That would equal out to around 2,300 worth of draft capital for Buffalo's picks in exchange for our 2,200 worth of capital in the #3 overall pick, depending on the draft chart you use. Supposedly if you get a return 100 in value or more you're winning the deal. So by those standards we would definitely win this trade, though I could see a late round pick being thrown in to sweeten the deal for us even more. 

As for who I'd be targeting with those picks, I'm not 100% sure. But I've got 4 players I'd hope would be around for the #21 & #22 picks; Mike McGlinchey - OT, Harold Landry - EDGE, Josh Jackson - CB, & Billy Price - OG. I'd be happy with any combination of them. As for the #36, #53 & #56 picks we'd have in the second round, I'd hope for a choice of Kyle Vander Esch - LB, Isaiah Wynn - OG, Carlton Davis - CB, Brain O'Neil - OT, Arden Key - EDGE, & James Washington - WR  to slip & be there when we take those picks. Again, any combination of these guys would be just fine to me. 

Too far to trade down that's the only down fall it would take more than 4 picks from the bills to justify trading down that far.

8 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Too far to trade down that's the only down fall it would take more than 4 picks from the bills to justify trading down that far.

That's one thing I was thinking, but it depends on how Ballard sees the team as a whole. If he sees a talent depleted roster like most of us do, then quantity becomes a more viable option for trades instead of just a couple of quality picks. It all depends on how Ballard looks at the roster as a whole & what exactly he does in free agency. 

A different version I thought of was: 

Bills receive - #3 & #195

Colts receive - #21, #22, #53, #56 & Jordan Mills - OT 

Mills, 28, is a hold over from the Doug Whaley days on a decent contract that will save the Bills $2 million and give us a viable starter on the right side. He was rated as the #16 RT in the NFL last year. They'll have Cordy Glenn back at LT and Dion Dawkins can slide over into the RT position for them. So it'd make quiet a bit of sense for both teams in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Luckuania said:

That's one thing I was thinking, but it depends on how Ballard sees the team as a whole. If he sees a talent depleted roster like most of us do, then quantity becomes a more viable option for trades instead of just a couple of quality picks. It all depends on how Ballard looks at the roster as a whole & what exactly he does in free agency. 

Ok but I still think the bills would have to give us more we would be trading down like what 18-19 spots.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If I’m trading off #3...I want a future first no matter what. I definitely see no way I move out of the top 10 without getting a future first. I know Buffalo would be two first but I could care less for their 2nd round picks...I want another first to move that far back. Just look at what having two firsts have done for teams in the past. I don’t think Ballard wants to move off 3 unless he gets blown away. It might sound like too much but hey that’s me...that third pick is worth a fortune to me because I don’t draft up here very much and doubt I will be back for a long time with Luck as our qb.

I know the popular theory now is that the Giants will take Barkley.  Although it's possible I think it's more likely they trade back if they decide not to take a QB.  They would get quite a haul and they could still take a QB if they stay in the top ten or so.  I think they will trade back and I think we will as well. 

I wouldn't trade that far back especially with a chance to draft Chubb or Nelson. One name I did want to mention is Arden Key out of LSU. They only reason this guy might fall out of the 1st round is his off the field issues. But looking at his tape, this dude has first round talent all over him. He has quick speed off the edge and wreaks havoc on the QB. I wonder if he could play the 4-3 at the next level.