Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not getting either Norwell or Pugh

If we don't get a serious upgrade on the line through FA, I'm joining the trade down and take Quenton Nelson bandwagon.

I would not go crazy in overpaying Norwell, however I thought the Giants had like $20 million in cap space. I think we could outbid them if we wanted to.

In what relationship would it create friction??

Norwell has been linked to the Giants since Gettleman landed there, but isn't Gettleman the same GM that tendered Norwell last year rather than offering him a market value contract? 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Norwell lands in NY, of course. But I'm personally not scared off by the price tag.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Norwell has been linked to the Giants since Gettleman landed there, but isn't Gettleman the same GM that tendered Norwell last year rather than offering him a market value contract? 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Norwell lands in NY, of course. But I'm personally not scared off by the price tag.

I mean, why would it matter if him and his former GM don’t invite each other to Christmas parties anymore? There are no relationships in this fleeting football world. 

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not sure about your first question to be honest. 

But if this scenario happens, is there another guard you’re interested in? 

If it's only about the contract then we should easily be able to win in a battle with the Giants.  Especially with guaranteed money.  The unknown is what a player finds attractive in a city or a franchise he will move to.  Would he prefer to play in NY or Indy?  It could come down to that answer. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Not sure about your first question to be honest. 

But if this scenario happens, is there another guard you’re interested in? 

The crazy part here is the Giants letting Pugh go to sign Norwell.  Pugh can play both guard and tackle.  Norwell is a guard.  You would think Pugh would be a priority.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's still Zach Fulton.

IMO Fulton is the lay up signing.   I already think he is a Colt if Ballard wants him and I don't see why he wouldn't.  That's an easy connection like the Hitchens connection.  Fulton should be in addition to Norwell not a substitute for Norwell.  

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is Free Agent tampering and if we really wanted to get tough about things, we can offer Norwell more money. Our Salary Cap situation is much better than the Giants.

I haven't done a ton of research about Norwell, but if he is as good as the talking heads say he is, then there's no reason not to pay a little extra to obtain his services. Seeing our O-Line play, we HAVE to get at least one G to protect Andrew and there is no excuse not to anymore. There is a salary cap, and we are on the right side of it. Now it's time to use that advantage effectively.

I'm definetly not ruling out the Giants getting Norwell because Gettleman definetly has ties. My question though is i don't know if Giants can make that work especially long term. The Giants have about 24 million in cap space and need about 10 million for the draft. That leaves them with 14 million. Ya they can get him but that's really all they can get because Norwell being undrafted will not take a pay cut. They also got OBJ coming up on a contract as well.

14 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Mans saying Norwell to Giants and Pugh to the jags. 

So if this happens, what guard do we sign? 

This is the same guy that said Hitchens is most likely signing with the Colts btw. 

It could be but I'm not buying it.  Anyone in the Giants front office should know saying that is considered tampering right now and could cost that organization draft picks.

How reliable is this reporter?  I think some people who style themselves as reporters make up stuff to get people to follow them because they think this reporter has some sort of insight that others don't.  And of course if they get one right they make sure to tell EVERYONE about that one time they broke a story before anyone else.  They don't tell you about the 900 stories that where completely wrong.

That doesn't indicate that the Giants said anything.

It says a Giant's source said this.

Also, it never says that the Giants were prepared to pay him as the highest paid Guard in NFL history, only that the Giants were prepared to make him the highest paid Guard in NFL history. That could simply be to create a bidding war to prompt someone else to make him the highest paid. O.K., this one's a stretch, but still.....that's all it says.

Also, also, the Giants and the Colts aren't the only two teams on earth. There will be others looking to add him to their roster. There are bad OLs all over the league.