Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#2 Pick Or Manning

wercolts

If I was another team I'd prefer RG3. Young and very promising QB over old and possibly injury-addled one. Of course this is different for us because of what Peyton means to us - but if I were another team, I'd not want the short term fix.

Peyton will probably have found a home by the time the draft gets here if he is released and if I am the Rams I am holding on to that pick till draft night to drive the price as high as they can. So odds are the teams that need a QB that are going to go after Peyton are going to know if they got Peyton before they ever have to think about trading for the pick. So they will be able to make their offers to Peyton first and if he doesn't sign with them they can start to figure out what to do from there in terms of giving up an arm and leg to go get RG3 or trying to get another QB either in the draft or via free agency.

The real question is why are the Rams trading RGIII. If he is as good as Luck then both are better that Bradford. It would make sense to draft RGIII, trade Bradford to Cleveland or Washington and get that pick. Apparently the Rams think that Bradford is better that RGIII.

Trading Bradford would likely cripple their cap since he's the last Big Money draft pick prior to the rookie scale.

Just imagine if we would have been the #2 spot and say like Minnesota was #1. Everyone would be offering us the moon for RG3. The Rams actually have hit the motherload. They will have their choice of huge draft pick offers....more than likely accepting Clevelands #4 and #22 and their next years #1 which will likely be a top 10 pick too since Cleveland is in the same division as Pitt, Bal, and an up and coming Cincy team who is like $40 million under the cap with two first rd picks. St Louis is set to take Blackmon at 4 and probably a OL/DL at #22 and with the first pick in rd 2 could likely receive trade requests for that one from teams like Atlanta or Oakland. The Rams could possibly turn the #2 pick in the draft and #33 pick into the draft into possibly 5 or 6 picks and STILL get their target star in Blackmon who they want all along. WOW!! No wonder Jeff Fisher went there.

I would have to disagree with that on the simple fact his rookie contract had 50 million worth of guaranteed dollars.

I agree. but i think 31 million was base guarantee.. the other 19 million would be based on if he remained on the Rams and he played enough. if they traded him they would not be obligated to pay the other 19 million.

I am not 100% sure about his whole contract cause it's the Rams. but i remember reading something about it can increase if he does certain things like lead the lead in passing. and playing a certain percentage of his teams plays each year. Not trying to debate i just remember finding it different being such a large contract.

I'm still pretty confused as to why the Colts couldn't trade Manning if they do decide to release him? Is it just the massive size of the contract that not many teams could absorb it, or are there some kind of restrictions? I'm talking about simply trading him for either a pick or a player. I'm not familiar with the cap or his contract at all.

I'm still pretty confused as to why the Colts couldn't trade Manning if they do decide to release him? Is it just the massive size of the contract that not many teams could absorb it, or are there some kind of restrictions? I'm talking about simply trading him for either a pick or a player. I'm not familiar with the cap or his contract at all.

Good question but i think it has to be due to the fact we still are obligated to pay the bonus and i think we still get the cap hits until his contract is up. I think we take such a big hit paying so much for someone not on our roster

At this point in time it's more due to the trading deadline for the 2011 season has come and gone. To have the right to trade him in 2012, they would have to pay the bonus to do so in my opinion, and then that would cripple the salary cap due to the size of the money involved. we couldn't trade him to Detroit for Suh, Calvin JOhnson and their #1 pick at this point even if both sides wanted to.

I agree. but i think 31 million was base guarantee.. the other 19 million would be based on if he remained on the Rams and he played enough. if they traded him they would not be obligated to pay the other 19 million.

I am not 100% sure about his whole contract cause it's the Rams. but i remember reading something about it can increase if he does certain things like lead the lead in passing. and playing a certain percentage of his teams plays each year. Not trying to debate i just remember finding it different being such a large contract.

Even using the 31 as the base guarantee, that would mean 20 and change would accelerate into the 2012 cap since 2/6ths of it has been accounted for and 4/6ths remains. I've read a 24m signing bonus and then others on top of that which would also be distributed over the contract.

1) Before March 8, they can try. But I doubt any team would be interested in picking up Manning and his contract that includes the $28MM guaranteed option bonus.

2) After March 8, the Colts would have to pay that $28MM option bonus, and then trading him to a team that would only have to pay his annual salary thereafter would be much more doable, but would leave the Colts with a $38.4 salary cap dead space in 2012, or about 1/3 of the team's total cap. I don't think the Colts will think this is doable.

1) Before March 8, they can try. But I doubt any team would be interested in picking up Manning and his contract that includes the $28MM guaranteed option bonus.

2) After March 8, the Colts would have to pay that $28MM option bonus, and then trading him to a team that would only have to pay his annual salary thereafter would be much more doable, but would leave the Colts with a $38.4 salary cap dead space in 2012, or about 1/3 of the team's total cap. I don't think the Colts will think this is doable.

He couldn't be traded prior to the new league year at all.

Yes, you're right. However, even if could be, it would not be an attractive deal for other teams with that $28 hanging there.

It would be steep, if a team could work him out/get a physical and they liked what they saw, I could see someone taking that chance, and i hope this post doesn't confuse anyone.

He won't be traded.

It would be steep, if a team could work him out/get a physical and they liked what they saw, I could see someone taking that chance, and i hope this post doesn't confuse anyone.

He won't be traded.

Yes, he won't be traded.

And no team should be happy to give an upfront guarantee of $28 ona 4-year contract for a 36-year-old QB rehabbing off multiple neck surgeries.

I would take Manning if I had a team that could contend now. Peyton would be perfect for Jets/Houston/49ers/Chiefs. If im the browns or redskins i'd go rg3.

Right, its not necessarily the teams that are missing a franchise qb that are interested in Manning, its the teams that are ONLY missing a franchise qb. The other more incomplete teams will want a young qb to build around for a few years.

If you were Miami or the Redskins do you go after RGIII (#2) or Manning. Those 2 seem to be he most talked about as a landing spot for Peyton. You can throw Tenn in if you like but I think they're cool with Locker and Hasselbeck

If all things were equal, I think both teams go after RG3 for the long term value.

So if I'm reading this right, a Rams trade of the pick reduces the number of teams going strongly after Manning

It reduces it by one team. But in actuality Peyton will sigh before the draft so there will be one less team interested in the pick. Once peyton signs then orton and flynn can sign so in total there will be three less teams interested in the pick. if im the rams i trade it soon to get its max value. i see 6 teams wth a real shot to sign peyton.