Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick

Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick

• Quenton Nelson
    • Minkah Fitzpatrick

On 2/6/2018 at 4:13 PM, Superman said:

Edmunds? I started watching him the other day. His physical ability is outstanding. Not sure about his best position...

Imo you play him inside first and second down.  Outside on 3rd.  I also think he is scheme versatile with a 3-4 his priority would be gap fill, blitzing and OLB on 3rd down.  In a 4-3 he'd play the MLB (oh imagine his height in the middle of a deep cover 2 my goodness) and on 3rd he'd probably play Will on long distance and Sam on short. As Sam you can use his speed on the edge to either funnel inside or  Will be brought as the extra rusher or TE defender and use his body as a big pain for the opposing QBs. 

24 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

If I was a GM he'd be a top 3 prospect on my board with a very heavy consideration for best player.  He's not a player that will be controlled by down and distance in the NFL. His best suited position IMO is ILB but he can easily flex to and edge rusher/Blitzer on 3rd down packages.

Very rarely do you find this combo of speed and size plus instinct and mental ability to play linebacker.  

My opinion of course.

So a Jamie Collins type? Who would you compare him to? 

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

So a Jamie Collins type? Who would you compare him to? 

Finding an existing comparison is hard.  He has speed.  And he is very decisive (I love that btw).  He can guess wrong but it's not often.  I feel like using him inside would be better for him because he is big and strong and has the body to take on Guards and Centers but the speed to make them irrelevant plus his height is wonderful for defenses who like to drop the MLB into zone coverage.  He's a pain to throw over by just standing there lol.  Outside he can succeed as well but I'm not sure about his bend. 

He has burst also to play coverage.  He is what you'd think of when someone says we need to build a guy to be anti-Gronk.  He needs coaching in this department but the tools are there. 

I'm a big fan of Edmunds.

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Nelson. Barring injury he could have a Joe Thomas career. Draft experts say he’s the best guard in the last decade and has pro bowl potential as a rookie.

I just saw chance Chance Warmack playing in the SB. As a backup 

If Nelson played LT, as joe Thomas did, I would be all for it.

I've been going back and forth with Minkah. When I started watching his film more focused on what exactly he was doing I though he had some problems with his tackling and with his long-ball coverage, but then I watch another game is he's so damn fluid in his hips, his play recognition and instincts are pretty damn good too. He's also an impressive specimen of a football player. His build and frame look strong and yet long... At this point I want to see confirmation on his speed, but overall I don't think I'd be mad if we drafted him. 

On 2/6/2018 at 3:43 PM, BlueShoe said:

Hypothetically, lets say we do trade with the Jets and Barkley and Chubb are both off the board at 6 overall. 

Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick?

The mock below has the Giants and the Colts both trading back. 

Football Dungeon Super Bowl Mock

For the record, I'd take Nelson and I would not trade back a second time. 

seeing the colts really do not need another safety since Geathers and Hooker are in the two safety positions, and the colts need help on the Oline, if the colts trade back hopefully its to get Nelson or McGlinchey. Call me bias as I am a big Notre Dame fan, but I think those are the two best Linemen in the draft, next being Alex Cappa from Humboldt State. 

Im just curious on what the Jets would have to give up in order to move up. hopefully two first rounders and this years 2nd rounder so the colts first three picks could be....

1st) Nelson

2nd) Malik Jefferson

2nd) Alex Cappa (Tackle from Humboldt State)

I think an offensive line of 

LT - Castonzo 

LG - Mewhort

C - Kelly

RG - Nelson

RT - Cappa

that offensive line right there would be pretty good and would protect Luck from day 1. 

15 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

seeing the colts really do not need another safety since Geathers and Hooker are in the two safety positions, and the colts need help on the Oline, if the colts trade back hopefully its to get Nelson or McGlinchey. Call me bias as I am a big Notre Dame fan, but I think those are the two best Linemen in the draft, next being Alex Cappa from Humboldt State. 

Im just curious on what the Jets would have to give up in order to move up. hopefully two first rounders and this years 2nd rounder so the colts first three picks could be....

1st) Nelson

2nd) Malik Jefferson

2nd) Alex Cappa (Tackle from Humboldt State)

I think an offensive line of 

LT - Castonzo 

LG - Mewhort

C - Kelly

RG - Nelson

RT - Cappa

that offensive line right there would be pretty good and would protect Luck from day 1. 

I am a huge Nelson fan, and I like Cappa too. 

Not sure if Mewhort is coming back, but I like that line. 

My guess would be, the Jets would give us their 2 second round picks in this years draft. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I am a huge Nelson fan, and I like Cappa too. 

Not it sure if Mewhort is coming back, but I like that line. 

My guess would be, the Jets would give us their 2 second round picks in this years draft. 

well in that case, move down to # 6 overall, draft Nelson and then have 3 2nd round picks? if Mewhort doesn't come back then hope we sign Norwell, and then draft Cappa in the second round with Jefferson and CB Hughes from UCF. 

2018 Offensive line:

LT- Castonzo

LG - Norwell

C- Kelly

RG- Nelson

RT - Cappa

and in the 2nd round we still address pass rush and and defensive back positions with Jefferson and Hughes. Could be a very good draft for the colts. but that is all hypothetically speaking

• 2 weeks later...

The more I watch Nelson, I come away with he's the best player in the draft. He's going to be really really good. I think him alone could change our oline drastically. I don't like the idea of selecting a guard in the top 5 but dude is nasty in the trenches. Really hoping we trade down to denver\new York and grab him while gaining an extra 2nd or two. I understand everyone on the Chubb bus but use the two 2nd's on edge rushers. When you have a sure fire 12 year starter even if it's a guard  you take it. Not sure Chubb or Fitzpatrick are but Nelson looks the part.