Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Ballard should take Bradley Chubb at #3

bWild

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think they will cool off as the process goes along. He reminds me of Tanoh Kpsagannon the small school player drafted by KC last year. This is just my opinion but I think they are doing more projecting here on what could be possible based on his length and other intangibles. When I look I dont see Ziggy Ansah or Robert Mathis. I dont get that feeling when I study him. I will keep watching but I dont think this is the same guy as you would get with Key, Chubb, and Landry. Might not even be Taco Charlton. But again this is my opinion. 2-4 is what I think he is.

I think you've made a strong argument for second round.    But it seems highly unlikely he'd fall beyond the round two.   I think that's where Tanoh went.   (By the way, impressed you got the spelling right on that one!).

Senior Bowl, Combine,  and his Pro Day will make or break the kid.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/19/2018 at 8:26 AM, bWild said:

Chris Ballard (and the rest of the world) knows that we need help on defense. Sure, we could trade down and gain some more draft picks, but we’d potentially miss out on a chance to draft this kid (providing he’s still available at #3). If history has shown us anything, it’s that you never pass up on an elite, game changing player. With the QB needy Browns and Giants picking before us, I believe we have a real chance at getting an elite edge rusher in Bradley Chubb. Sure, Saquon Barkley is a beast and we do need help in the backfield, but running backs don’t hold up as well as edge rushers and it’s been proven that you can find quality backs later in the draft, if you do your homework (which Ballard does). The tape doesn’t lie. 

I've watched quite a bit of Chubb video lately, and while the highlights are interesting they don't tell the whole story. Watching some entire games of all the plays where he was on the field is even more compelling. Even on plays that don't come to his side of the field he is still relentless in trying to get to the ball. He doesn't seem to ever "take a play off", but gives it maximum effort on every snap. Given his reputation as a pass rusher, I was kind of expecting to see a one-trick pony, but I was surprised at how solid he is against the run. This guy is a game-wrecker, and the Colts would be fools not to take him at #3. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you've made a strong argument for second round.    But it seems highly unlikely he'd fall beyond the round two.   I think that's where Tanoh went.   (By the way, impressed you got the spelling right on that one!).

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I could see as low as early 3rd. I think that's possible. My main thing is he hasn't even dominated his own small school play level in any year. His tops is 8 sacks O believe.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didnt mean to mention Ngakoue. Edited it out.

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's a 4th rounder. I'll stick to that one.  Just usual small school hype with people trying to be the smartest person in the room.  He will be washed out by bigger and more athletic lineman in the pros.

He might have a decent pro day but I'll most likely still be sold that he's a pure develop pick that needs years of grooming.  

On 1/19/2018 at 8:44 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I was anti-Chubb for awhile. I’ve warmed up to him. Mostly because of the signs of us moving to a 4-3. That’d make him a better fit. I just hope he tests well. He has the relentless motor, but If all he has is motor and effort, then that’s basically Terell Basham.

Terrell Basham doesn't have Chubbs hands and he never will.  Chubb might have questions on athleticism but his hands are truly special.  Rarely do you ever see a rusher who is not only active but efficient with their hand useage so consistently.  

Also Chubb actually has pass rush moves.  While Basham... eh. Lots to be desired.

My issues with Chubb are 2 fold.  I need to see numbers documenting the necessary basic athleticism to succeed in the pros.  Not even elite just above average and his mental game. He needs to utilize his strength more and learn to "setup" tackles instead of just randomness or extreme predictability.

The 2nd issue can be fixed by coaching.

19 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

He's a 4th rounder. I'll stick to that one.  Just usual small school hype with people trying to be the smartest person in the room.  He will be washed out by bigger and more athletic lineman in the pros.

He might have a decent pro day but I'll most likely still be sold that he's a pure develop pick that needs years of grooming.  

Are you following the discussion?

Did you miss the part where three different important mocks out this week project him to go in the FIRST round?!? 

He he might be a pure development pick that does need grooming,  but when your 6-6 and 265 and athletic, that gets NFL types excited.

The only way he goes below the second round is if he has a serious health issue or criminal background.   Otherwise this young man is going much sooner than you're predicting.     I have no idea why you'd think fourth round?!? 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are you following the discussion?

Did you miss the part where three different important mocks out this week project him to go in the FIRST round?!? 

He he might be a pure development pick that does need grooming,  but when your 6-6 and 265 and athletic, that gets NFL types excited.

The only way he goes below the second round is if he has a serious health issue or criminal background.   Otherwise this young man is going much sooner than you're predicting.     I have no idea why you'd think fourth round?!? 

I think 4th round because he can't play football lol...

It's nice and all to be this big athletic freak but means nothing when you can't use it. And just because I have a 4th round grade on him doesn't mean he won't be taken higher.  But to me if I'm a GM I'm taking him in the 4th. 

A good similar example is TJ Green a couple of years ago.  Going into the draft I had him as a 6th rounder.  Simply based on the fact that no matter how big and fast he was he just didn't know how to play football.  A guy who needed years of grooming and just couldn't perform any of the basic duties of a pro DB.  He was taken in the 2nd by an obvious misplaced GM.  But the one thing TJ had going for him over this kid is that he played at a prestigious school and actually showed some flare.  While we have Mr promising pass rusher who can't beat tackles that are dreaming of being in the bigger college conferences not even the NFL...

I have my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  But just because those guys (who are often dead wrong) have an opinion they don't overrule everyone else that watches these kids.  

20 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I have my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  But just because those guys (who are often dead wrong) have an opinion they don't overrule everyone else that watches these kids.  

Hard to argue with that.  Every year some top pick will bust.  Some late rounder will be all pro.  

I follow the Buckeyes very closely.  I thought Vernon Gholston was a can’t miss.  So did the   Jets, so did Joe Thomas.  Alas....

This class has a lot of good QBs in it. But let's be honest. There isn't a real case you can make that any one of them is better than the others to the point that you can't pass on him. 

Thats why I'm betting the Browns to take Chubb at 1. There are soooooo many reasons they shouldn't go QB at 1. 

Personally I think they land Cousins in free agency. This takes the guesswork out of drafting another rookie QB, and it gives them the only chance they have of salvaging the Kiser pick. Bring in a veteran and hope he can teach Kiser and bring him along. 

Then they take Chubb at 1, pair him with Garrett and form the next great pass rush duo. That's going to make it a lot easier for them defensively going forward. 

BUT! Even if the Browns are hellbent on taking a QB, sitting there at #4 means that they can take their top 2 QBs, and still get one. 

We aren't drafting a QB. Only simpletons are entertaining that idea. The Giants are. 

Now lets ET's say the Giants fall in love with [insert QB here] and everyone knows it. The Browns fall in love with one of the others. Now the Browns are even more inclined to take Chubb #1 because there is a sense of security, and they can get what the view as the top 2 players of the draft. 

Even if the Giants take the QB the Browns want at 2, they're still going to have a great opportunity waiting at 4. 

Or, if they land Cousins, suddenly they have a draft pick that they can trade for even more leverage down the road in #4.

There is literally no reason for the Browns not to go with Chubb at 1 and help both sides of the ball. 

20 hours ago, LockeDown said:

what if Barkley and Chubb go 1-2 to Cleveland and NY?  It won't happen, but if it did, we might actually get that king's ransom we're looking for.

We would basically have the value of the #1 overall pick. QB hungry teams would probably give us more than necessary to take our spot. We’d honestly be better off trading back anyway in order to pick Nelson at a spot of good value and take some picks along the way for round 2 and next years first. 

43 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

This class has a lot of good QBs in it. But let's be honest. There isn't a real case you can make that any one of them is better than the others to the point that you can't pass on him. 

I've seen this thinking from a small number of Browns fans, only they seem to want to use it on Barkley. They already have Myles Garrett too, so a pass rusher isn't a huge need for them.

In the end though I think they  use the 1st pick on a QB. Then go defense or Barkley with the 4th.

I don’t understand the big hype about Chubb.  Yes he has the athletic abilities to get it done, but how much of a game changer will he really be in the pros?  Everytime I look at his tapes, I see no real elite pass rushing techniques.  Chubb usually goes untouched, power through his opponent, or gives a swim every so often.  I do not see him incorporating and mixing up his approach, when the opposing Oline gets their hands on him.  Any smart GM would look at the big picture, and not just one player.  There is a lot more talent at LB/DE we could attempt to sign in FA.  I’d rather spend that pick on Barkley or trade back.  If you want a Chubb, then sign freaking Ansah for god sakes.  He is practically the same as Chubb, who has no elite techniques; that power through his opponents or goes untouched at times.  I have more confidents in Simon, and Sheard than Chubb 

2 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I think 4th round because he can't play football lol...

It's nice and all to be this big athletic freak but means nothing when you can't use it. And just because I have a 4th round grade on him doesn't mean he won't be taken higher.  But to me if I'm a GM I'm taking him in the 4th. 

A good similar example is TJ Green a couple of years ago.  Going into the draft I had him as a 6th rounder.  Simply based on the fact that no matter how big and fast he was he just didn't know how to play football.  A guy who needed years of grooming and just couldn't perform any of the basic duties of a pro DB.  He was taken in the 2nd by an obvious misplaced GM.  But the one thing TJ had going for him over this kid is that he played at a prestigious school and actually showed some flare.  While we have Mr promising pass rusher who can't beat tackles that are dreaming of being in the bigger college conferences not even the NFL...

Ok....

you've just answered a question I was going to ask.

You're not predicting Davenport is going on the 4th, you're saying that's what YOU think he's worth.   That you wouldn't take him sooner than that.   That's my understanding of your opinion here....  Correct? 

Fair enough....   we can agree to disagree for now and see what happens down the road....     thanks.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I've seen this thinking from a small number of Browns fans, only they seem to want to use it on Barkley. They already have Myles Garrett too, so a pass rusher isn't a huge need for them.

In the end though I think they  use the 1st pick on a QB. Then go defense or Barkley with the 4th.

Garrett/Chubb could be one of the most fierce duos of all time if they both work out as intended. They could make Freeney and Mathis in their prime look bad. 

One great pass rusher is great. But two makes it an entirely different beast. 

Barkley is a nice thought, but makes less sense than Chubb. 

I really think they draft Chubb #1. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Garrett/Chubb could be one of the most fierce duos of all time if they both work out as intended. They could make Freeney and Mathis in their prime look bad. 

One great pass rusher is great. But two makes it an entirely different beast. 

Barkley is a nice thought, but makes less sense than Chubb. 

I really think they draft Chubb #1. 

I'd be pretty shocked if they went with anybody but a QB at #1, but hey, who knows. Unless they sign somebody like Kirk Cousins or something.

Plus they already have Ogbah at the other DE, 2nd round pick from two years ago. He did get IR'd this season though but I imagine they're okay with their ends.

Here's some background and scouting info on Chubb.      I don't think most here are familiar enough with Chubb to have a good read on him.      Read the next two paragraphs....     By the way....   the line in bold....  that's ove 3 years.   But his last two years are 21 sacks and 46.5 tackles for loss.    In other words,  most of those very good stats are the last two years.    Incredibly impressive.     If he's not Myles Garrett,  he's not missing by much.

As I noted Thursday, the Colts desperately need a pass-rusher who will cause opposing quarterbacks to point out where he’s lined up. Chubb had 54.5 tackles for a loss and 25 sacks during his final three seasons at North Carolina State. He’s exactly the type of player the Colts need on a defense that registered only 25 sacks last season.

“First of all, he has a real good takeoff,” Kiper said. “He has strong hands. He has really good feet technique -- rip, swim move, everything with him. He chases. He goes through double-teams. He gets coverage sacks. He hustles; he never quits. He practices hard and sets the tone for the rest of the team. Great character.”