Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Way to Describe the 2017 Colts

Chrisaaron1023

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Superman said:

What's so frustrating to me is that I don't think they've maximized their chances to get wins -- can think of three game management decisions that probably cost the team game-deciding points -- and they can't close even in tight games. I'm not upset that they lost a wild game yesterday, but it is frustrating that our 6th year head coach continues to make head scratching decisions with the game on the line. 

Obviously with all the obstacles this season, we weren't going to contend, but we have such an awful record in close games, including a half dozen blown 4th quarter leads. I just sit back and wait for the other shoe to drop, every week, no matter how the first three quarters go. I know we'll find a way to blow it. That's not fun.

As for the future, you know I'm optimistic, maybe more optimistic than most. That's because I trust Ballard and Irsay to make a change at head coach and to find a guy who knows what he's doing. I also expect Ballard to reshape the roster from top to bottom, practically. But right now, I'm really disappointed in the coaching staff, and kind of over the honeymoon with Brissett also. 

I can't even say what Brissetts deal is other than him being young. 

Hasn't been improving though.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post....

I'm not quite over the Honeymoon with Brissett because of your view on Chud.     How would Jacoby be in a more QB friendly system?      So, hypothetically,  if we hired the KC OC to be the new HC,  and he ran a more short passing game West Coach offense,  how would JB be then?       Maybe better than we think?

And Pagano all but owned the loss yesterday.    Said he screwed up the series where AV missed the FG.    Handled it all wrong,   and took the blame for the loss.     As I fan,  I appreciate when a coach owns it like that.    BUT,  as you have accurately pointed out so many times,   Chuck continues to make 1 or 2 head scratching decisions per game that leave everyone shaking their heads.     He's not going to get better at that.     This is one of a number of reasons I'm so ready to make a change at the top.      No more of this.    

I am so ready for 2018.         Curious about Luck.     About a new HC,  and who his coordinators will be.    Hope that the new HC will keep some members of this staff.      This might be the most interesting off-season since I joined.

And I am ready for it to get under way!

Definitely agreed on Brissett. I have a lot of thoughts on him, but don't want to pile on out of frustration, so I'll be spending some time reviewing some games and gathering my thoughts so I can make a fair but honest assessment of him. Might wait until the season ends to post anything.

I absolutely agree the offensive coaching doesn't make life easy on the QB, but my concern is with his awareness and decision making. Case in point, his "throwaway" yesterday, which I just don't understand. He just throw the ball way out of bounds, with no receiver in the area, and got called for grounding. If you're going to throw it away, why not throw it in the direction of a receiver? He wasn't about to be hit, and he could have moved out of the pocket if he wanted. That has little to do with his knowledge of the playbook, poor line play, poor play call, to me, that's all on him. I really don't understand how he arrived at that decision. There are other examples that make me shake my head, but again, I'll reserve those for a more comprehensive post on him. 

As for Chuck, I agree with your assessment there, and like you, I appreciate a coach owning a mistake. Some wont -- I've seen Andy Reid come up with nonsensical explanations for clock management mistakes on a number of occasions, and even Jim Caldwell and Bill Polian made up a bogus excuse for a terrible timeout in the Jets playoff game in 2010. I'd rather a coach say 'my bad' than try to dodge responsibility.

But Pagano hasn't gotten any better at game management in six years, might have gotten worse. Only so many times you can keep making the same kind of mistakes before it becomes obvious that you don't know how to handle clutch decisions on the sidelines. I don't care about the outcome, but come on Chuck. Irsay said he expected Pagano to have his best season as a coach, and I think we can all agree that he has not.

Brissett has some upside potential, but this season was not catered to him having a realistic chance at success. Okay to pretty good is his ceiling as I see it now.

If there's one real obvious knock, despite all of the other stuff going on around him is that he needs to actually throw the damn ball. His internal clock is listening to really slow reggae on the beach or something. 

My question is, is this the guy if they've got that high pick and the situation with 12 is still cloudy.. (not to do this again, but that is the 120 million dollar question)

18 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I have a problem with the way we handled those 50+ seconds at the end of the game. You have 50+ seconds and you run one play then spike it. Where is the logic in that? 

I thought the same thing at first and then I saw where they were.  They spiked it so AV could line up in the same spot he just made the PAT.  They didn't have to clear off the snow, AV had his approach lane clear, he knew the wind, etc.  It gave the Colts the best shot of hitting the GWFG from that spot.

19 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I thought the same thing at first and then I saw where they were.  They spiked it so AV could line up in the same spot he just made the PAT.  They didn't have to clear off the snow, AV had his approach lane clear, he knew the wind, etc.  It gave the Colts the best shot of hitting the GWFG from that spot.

You dont try and kick a 43 yard field goal in a foot of snow just because he made one previously from that same spot. Who cares if the snow was cleared? He barely made the first one. 

Out of the 2 options, you go for a closer target. Maybe that's JMO. 

21 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

You dont try and kick a 43 yard field goal in a foot of snow just because he made one previously from that same spot. Who cares if the snow was cleared? He barely made the first one. 

Out of the 2 options, you go for a closer target. Maybe that's JMO. 

I would not have been upset if they tried to get closer but I don't have a problem with what they did.  Look at what they had to do for the extra point... they cleared the snow, then called a time out and cleared more snow.  Since they were out of timeouts they would not have had that opportunity at any other spot on the field.

And like your indicated a FG in a foot of snow is tough, if you already have the snow cleared it makes it that much easier.  I would even go so far as to speculate that it was AV who said, if they can get him lined up in the same spot as the PAT that would be best.

23 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I would not have been upset if they tried to get closer but I don't have a problem with what they did.  Look at what they had to do for the extra point... they cleared the snow, then called a time out and cleared more snow.  Since they were out of timeouts they would not have had that opportunity at any other spot on the field.

And like your indicated a FG in a foot of snow is tough, if you already have the snow cleared it makes it that much easier.  I would even go so far as to speculate that it was AV who said, if they can get him lined up in the same spot as the PAT that would be best.

Kick the ball you have no idea if you were going to get closer in bad conditions! Give your self a chance to win!