Does Eli make it into the HoF?

Lucky Colts Fan

Does Eli make it into the HoF?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Does Eli make it into the HoF?

• Yes
    • No

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Eli is a HOFamer as well. Maybe not 1st ballot but the debate was is Eli a HOFamer and I say without a doubt, I bet 2nd year with him. His stats are just too great and winning 2 SB's over the Pats seals it with 2 SB MVP's

Eli will make it too. I don't think Eli is great (elite). His brother was/is great. In fact, I would take Rivers over Eli. However, Eli has two Super Bowls and he is a member of a great football family. He played in NY/NJ and won with the Giants. He has a lot going for him. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'll say 2nd ballot

If he retires a year before Brady, then yes, I would like for him to be 2nd-ballot.  haha

Eli Manning and Tom Brady getting enshrined in the same year would be sweet sweet football karma.

I can just see it now... Brady having to give his speech while looking out onto a crowd filled with Giants fans wearing Eli and Tyree jerseys with footballs glued to the helmets they are wearing...

happy-tears.gif?resize=500,269

So, just to add some more context...here's what you figure the 2018 HOF class will look like...

Ray Lewis, Randy Moss, Brian Dawkins, Alan Faneca...

2019: Tony Gonzalez, Ed Reed, Brian Urlacher, among others...

2020: Troy Polamalu, Champ Bailey...maybe Jeff Saturday...?

2021: Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson...

These are the names going in ya figure...you see Eli Manning belonging in with these names...? A guy who has never been a top-5 QB for any stretch of time...just a guy who was above average basically his whole career...he's gonna slide in there...? Boy, that would look really, really out of place...

On 12/3/2017 at 9:39 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If Eli retires soon, does he make it into the Hall of Fame?  He's had a pretty good career so far.

His 2 SB wins are some of the most impressive SB wins ever.  The Helmet-Catch play was historical.  Decent stats.  He's a Manning.

But he's always been... well... Eli.  Great plays here and there, and then streaks of bad play.  I don't know if I'd call him elite.  Over the course of his career, when compared to other elite QBs, he seems kind of average.

:dunno:  What do you guys think?

I don't think he gets in.  He doesn't have the stats or performances during the seasonto warrant it.  Exact opposite of his brother, mediocure in the season, hot as hell in the playoffs. Maybe on the 2nd/3rd ballot.  Considering who will be going in to the HOF just 2 years before i dont think itll happen

I don't think he should but he probably will. He belongs in the Hall of Very Good. He had the longevity but was never considered the best player at his position, not even top3 and maybe not even top 5. Wasn't even the best player on his own team for much of his career.

Is he a Hall of Famer if Asante Samuel makes that catch/Tyree doesn't make that helmet catch and/or Manningham catch?

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

I don't think he gets in.  He doesn't have the stats or performances during the seasonto warrant it.  Exact opposite of his brother, mediocure in the season, hot as hell in the playoffs. Maybe on the 2nd/3rd ballot.  Considering who will be going in to the HOF just 2 years before i dont think itll happen

He does have 2 rings though. That alone will probably get him in.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If Eli retires soon, does he make it into the Hall of Fame?  He's had a pretty good career so far.

His 2 SB wins are some of the most impressive SB wins ever.  The Helmet-Catch play was historical.  Decent stats.  He's a Manning.

But he's always been... well... Eli.  Great plays here and there, and then streaks of bad play.  I don't know if I'd call him elite.  Over the course of his career, when compared to other elite QBs, he seems kind of average.

First year Eligible my vote.

I think he eventually gets in. Namath got in based on one game - Eli did it twice, and the first time the Giants were huge underdogs. That was (hate to admit it) an historic game. Every QB’s legacy is different, and his is worthy IMO. 

Namath is more or less the low bar for the HOF for QBs, and his "foundation" let's call it, because it's less than a resume certainly (see: page 1) is far better than Elisha's...for starters Namath was considered for All-Pro voting, whereas E.Man never was...because...well, he was never elite at any time. And since typically only elite players make the HOF...well...we can piece it together from there...

7 hours ago, Finball said:

I don't think he should but he probably will. He belongs in the Hall of Very Good. He had the longevity but was never considered the best player at his position, not even top3 and maybe not even top 5. Wasn't even the best player on his own team for much of his career.

Is he a Hall of Famer if Asante Samuel makes that catch/Tyree doesn't make that helmet catch and/or Manningham catch?

Where does it say that you have to be the best in your position to get into the HOF?  It is a career accomplishment. He has had both good and bad but when he was good, he was very good. He shined in the playoffs when he got there. Both his super bowl wins came when his team were underdogs. He was clutch when he needed to be in those games.

1 hour ago, mikey287 said:

That is what every HOF in major sports is based on and that's what every player in every HOF was with very, very few exceptions. It is literally the entire point of the HOF is what you described "being elite at your position".

Eli is 1 of 12 QBs with multi super bowls

Two super bowl MVPs

Four time pro bowler

He is in the top 10 in all time passing yards and TDs

He is only 1 of 5 Qbs with 300 + career passing Tds. The other 4 are Brady, P. Manning, Big Ben and Elway.

So he has rubbed elbows with the best in the league and those other 3 with out a doubt be in the HOF with Elway.

IMO he will be in the HOF. Maybe not first ballot but he will get in. You have to remember who is on the HOF committee. Eli will only have to have 80% of the committee's vote to get in.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Eli is 1 of 12 QBs with multi super bowls

Two super bowl MVPs

Four time pro bowler

He is in the top 10 in all time passing yards and TDs

He is only 1 of 5 Qbs with 300 + career passing Tds. The other 4 are Brady, P. Manning, Big Ben and Elway.

So he has rubbed elbows with the best in the league and those other 3 with out a doubt be in the HOF with Elway.

IMO he will be in the HOF. Maybe not first ballot but he will get in. You have to remember who is on the HOF committee. Eli will only have to have 80% of the committee's vote to get in.

Team award.

Justin Tuck was the real MVP of 2007, though but yeah.

And zero All-Pros (how many of those are there in HOF?). Even Donovan McNabb was a 6 time Pro Bowler.

He was good for a long time in a passing era.

He was good for a long time in a passing era.

None of those awards/stats tell me that Eli was an elite player at his position.

Finally, someone is getting how historical valuation and HOF vetting work. Bless you, Finball. On the plus side, all of that stuff was already brought up and contextualized as applicable. So there isn't much to add...

Moreover, like in the other posts of seemingly random information...at least one of those things isn't true. 11 QBs (not 5) have 300+ TDs...Carson Palmer (another HOFer? haha) would have been 12 this year if he didn't get hurt. So including Palmer, of the 12, eight have played this decade...if people aren't picking up the obvious era bias to these compilation stats then I don't know how to explain it better...it's kind of like asking why didn't George Washington just nuke the British and be done with it...that's ignoring that 300 is a meaningless number...it's round and easily digestible, but 300 has no more value than 335...which Eli is short of...

On 12/3/2017 at 9:39 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I don't know, his recent bad play may keep him out.  

If you would have asked me this a couple years ago I probably would have said yes.  Now I'm not so sure.  

If he does go then it's because of the 2 plays in the SB and the fact that he won 2 SB.  Nothing else.

To be fair only 1 QB has ever won 2 or more superbowls as a starter and not gotten in the HOF.  Jim Plunkett