Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton - Sexist

DaveA1102

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Because he knows by looking at her that she hasn't ever trucked anybody.

Seriously?  You know that girls play football, right?  There was a girl on my high school football team, and she surprised a few guys when she "trucked" them.

I got "trucked" by my rugby-player sister when I was trying to help her train.  She put a girl in the hospital with a broken rib by "trucking" her on the rugby field.

Assuming a girl has never "trucked" anybody is sexist.  But maybe that was your point?  :dunno:

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

cant we discuss serious issues like where men who think they're women can take a leak?

Actually, the reason the reporters' follow-up with Cam was "worse" was because she approached him while they both tried to use a gender-neutral bathroom at the same time, and when she started using the urinal next to Cam, he was like "It's funny to see a female use a urinal."

:peek:

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Seriously?  You know that girls play football, right?  There was a girl on my high school football team, and she surprised a few guys when she "trucked" them.

I got "trucked" by my rugby-player sister when I was trying to help her train.  She put a girl in the hospital with a broken rib by "trucking" her on the rugby field.

Assuming a girl has never "trucked" anybody is sexist.  But maybe that was your point?  :dunno:

One of the local High Schools in my area has both boys & girls rugby clubs... 

Both clubs are as entertaining and competitive as any high school football game i have ever seen...

1 minute ago, Buck Showalter said:

One of the local High Schools in my area has both boys & girls rugby clubs... 

Both clubs are as entertaining and competitive than any high school football game i have ever seen...

Girls Rugby is somethin else, I tell ya.  My sister wasn't that big, and she was/is the nicest person.  She's quiet, respectful, humble, all that, but when she was on the rugby field...  Holy Crap.  She was a bruiser, man.  She surprised the heck out of me and my parents.  My mom thought about putting a stop to it after one game because she didn't want anyone getting hurt, but she was afraid to tell my sister "no" after watching her play!  :lol:

She was my little sister, but after watching her play rugby, I did NOT need to be the "tough older brother".  Any guy that got on her bad side had my sympathy!  haha

Cam apologized.  I was wrong.  He didn't make excuses or pout.  He didn't read a prepared statement.

It was actually a very well-said and (I hope) heartfelt apology.  "Don't be like me, be better than me."  I really like that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000857223/article/newton-apologizes-for-comments-to-female-reporter

I didn't know he had two daughters.  I hope they continue to provide him perspective as they grow up.  :thmup:

22 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It was actually a very well-said and (I hope) heartfelt apology.  "Don't be like me, be better than me."  I really like that.

Ditto...

After he said what he said he couldn't change it, so as far as moving forward that was a pretty legit apology...

Now when is he gonna apologize for that sorry excuse for a goatee that seems to be bleached???

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think they both got served a big piece of Mama's Homemade Humble Pie.  :thmup:

Hardly he got way more flack than she did which is why I wasn't bothered by what he said to her yet nary a mention about those tweets except by the sports blogs.

Then again I think this was overblown to begin with. 

19 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Hardly he got way more flack than she did which is why I wasn't bothered by what he said to her yet nary a mention about those tweets except by the sports blogs.

Then again I think this was overblown to begin with. 

Of course he got way more flak.  He is way more famous than her.  :sip:

If you think about it, her past tweets would have gone completely unnoticed by all of us without all the flak that Cam generated, which then backfired on her.  She's getting her own dose of backlash, now.  :thinking:

If either of them want to be a public figure, then neither of them can do anything BUT eat their humble pie and ask for more.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Perhaps....definitely would have changed the context of the interaction if he was to have said reporters and not a female indicating that reporters in general don't understand routes or the fine details of the game....there have been many imply this and many coaches etc that have just looked like a holes ....Bill Bellichick, Bobby Knight, Gregg Popovich to name a few...but yeah he didn't use those words and thus it took a WHOLE different meaning.

Which is why I've been pretty slow to label the guy...I think he is more narcissistic first then anything....but it was his words and he has to own them.

Yes some coaches and players think fans/media may not understand some things.  My only defense to this might be sometimes there are plays that are made, and a player may make a certain move which say 95% of the time should be in a given direction but the play call was for him/her to move in the other direction, and fans/media think he made a mistake when in reality he was following the play call. And the media fans will get all over the player.

Kind of reminds me of the one of my favorite Jim Mora moments . . . "you just don't know and never will"

Looks like Newton kind of follow this point, and I believe the reporter is young, and maybe he combined youth with her being a women and it came out the wrong way. 

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yikes I didn't know that...that's sad to hear. I think what it goes to show is that we all have faults and we all use poor words and we all make mistakes. Two wrongs don't make a right...and before we point out the mote in our brothers eye we should remove the beam from our own. That applies to this situation...the flag kneeling...social injustice...the whole gambit of issues. I'm still not going to just let his comment go without challenging it...but I also don't like to call people names and label people like we can just write them off as horrible humans. Hopefully some good comes from the situation...and hopefully sports can move forward and be about sports again someday.

Yes two wrongs do not make a right.  And good thing was Cam went public with an apology, and yes hopefully something will come out that was good, especially after his apology. 

7 hours ago, Nadine said:

I saw that too.  Doesn't cancel out what he said.  And she didn't say anything to indicate she had thin skin. I saw what he said and I judged it sexist, because it is.

Now, if he were to say something along the lines of 'she had it coming because.......'

Still wouldn't justify it

It's people in general that have and should take exception to what he said.  Doesn't matter that she said inappropriate things in the past.

What he said was sexist. Bottom line.  no excuses

Well to be honest Nadine, she could of let it go and let the rest of the media deal with it, and or perhaps soften the blow showing compassion for Cam.  Not that too dissimilar than how Suzy Kolber handle Joe Namath's "i want to kiss you" comments.   Or Donovan McNabb's handling of Rush Limbaugh's comments. 

True Cam was not drunk and may of had a slip of the tongue or not, but he did answer her question in the end, calmly and with respect by looking at her as he responded.  She ended up tweeting something along the lines that I have a job to do and it is not funny, he is not going to keep me from it, etc.  To me, that is kind of thin skinned to be honest kind of added some fuel the the fired. 

When one is wronged, or put in awkward situation like above, it helps to soften the blow some or just go all BB and say no comment.

me two cents.

Good to see Cam apologize and hopefully in the long run something good will come from this situation.       

13 hours ago, Nadine said:

I think the epidemic is people who want to normalize stereotyping. 

It's not normal for athletes to challenge a mans credentials when he asks a legitimate football question.  That's what happened here.

It's sexist, it just is and it deserves to be called out.

If he's proud of being a sexist, then he's getting the spot light he wanted. 

My comment was made in a general sense. Not this case specifically.

Normalizing stereotyping has zero to do with my statement. This country has become so obsessed with political correctness it has become difficult to say anything without offending someone.

As far as Cam in concerned he has shown he is way immature and has yet to show he has the ability to understand anyone's feelings but his own.

Having started the thread, it is good to see the arguments on both sides, where rational, as you could argue the media has blown this up more than other instances but I happen to agree it needs a spotlight. 

The frustrating thing is when you see the "it wasn't like that back in my day" and the "she should just get over it" type of posts.

Yes, it was different 10/20/30 years ago, but that doesn't make it right and, back then, when people had to "get over it" nothing changed.

I am all for having a laugh at my own expense and joking with others, but belittling someone's ability to know routes or anything else purely based on their gender is not something that I would want a daughter of mine to have to deal with in 10/20/30 years, so why should anyone else have to "get over it"?

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just some more reasons we are lucky to have Andrew. You never see any controversy or bad behavior by him at all.

That is what I say about my guy, Teddy Bridgewater. :) He would never make that kind of comment. 

Anyway, I don't think Newton meant to disrespect the female reporter when he made his comment, just as she probably did not mean to offend anyone when she made her racist comments. (She apologized yesterday for having posted racist comments on Twitter.)  Sometimes we do and say things that we regret. It has happened to all of us. I disagree with him but I am not going to disparage the guy for making a comment. Now, if he refused to answer her questions or if he answered questions only from male reporters, I would have more of a problem with his comment. 

5 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

She ended up tweeting something along the lines that I have a job to do and it is not funny, he is not going to keep me from it, etc.  To me, that is kind of thin skinned to be honest kind of added some fuel the the fired. 

Got it, she should just have shut up and said nothing

Women do that all the time. 

7 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Cam apologized.  I was wrong.  He didn't make excuses or pout.  He didn't read a prepared statement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000857223/article/newton-apologizes-for-comments-to-female-reporter

I didn't know he had two daughters.  I hope they continue to provide him perspective as they grow up.  :thmup:

I thought it was heart felt as well.

I wish him and his daughters the best

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

My comment was made in a general sense. Not this case specifically.

Normalizing stereotyping has zero to do with my statement. This country has become so obsessed with political correctness it has become difficult to say anything without offending someone.

As far as Cam in concerned he has shown he is way immature and has yet to show he has the ability to understand anyone's feelings but his own.

It has everything to do with your statement

19 hours ago, Nadine said:

I don't doubt that there are a continuum of qualities that are deemed entertaining enough to TV viewers to warrant putting them on air.

Makes sense.  Some people are like Skip Bayless and irritate the tar out of people and more than a few NFL commentators are attractive, I think that goes with the job description (generally) for being on TV.

Your saying that for the most part, women are chosen for their looks and in spite of their knowledge of the game or skill at commentating?

I don't believe looks are the only reason but I believe that a woman's looks does influence which woman is hired. You don't think so? There are not many ugly women on TV while there are some "ugly" men.  Check out some of the sports shows on NFL Network. The men are wearing suits while the women are wearing mini-dresses and tops that show cleavage. I think that says a lot about what the network finds important.

I have always appreciated female sports reporters like Michelle Tafoya who is always professionally dressed. People respect her for her knowledge of football and how she performs her job rather than how she looks or how she is dressed. I wish more would follow her example.

I hope I don't sound sexist. If I do, I apologize. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I don't believe looks are the only reason but I believe that a woman's looks does influence which woman is hired. You don't think so? There are not many ugly women on TV while there are some "ugly" men.  Check out some of the sports shows on NFL Network. The men are wearing suits while the women are wearing mini-dresses and tops that show cleavage. I think that says a lot about what the network finds important.

I have always appreciated female sports reporters like Michelle Tafoya who is always professionally dressed. People respect her for her knowledge of football and how she performs her job rather than how she looks or how she is dressed. I wish more would follow her example.

I hope I don't sound sexist. If I do, I apologize. 

I actually acknowledged that attractiveness plays a roll. What I disagreed with is that ALL women were chosen solely for their looks and IN SPITE OF their lack of knowledge of the game.

Just now, Nadine said:

I actually acknowledged that attractiveness plays a roll. What I disagreed with is that ALL women were chosen solely for their looks and IN SPITE OF their lack of knowledge of the game.

Okay. I did not read all the comments. 

Yeah, I don't believe someone is hired in spite of their knowledge of the game, especially not a journalist that is not on TV.  I think that most sports fans can tell who knows their stuff. In NY, sports fans have a lot of respect for some of the female sports radio talk show hosts like Kim Jones, Anita Marks, Lori Rubinson, and others.

The reporter stated when she met with him after his stupid remarks he was even more downgrading to her but she would not elaborate. Pro sports is one thing now, money. Look at the clowns that are earning big money. Not naming names we have guys knocking out their girl friends in elevators, one player beats his children with tree branches because that's is the way he was raised, one punches a woman in the face in a club to note only a small few. How many players do these things to women and are not caught? Young punks with little education making mega millions with instant fame is a formula for this behavior. Inject this with what can only defined as stupidity you have an unmanned missile flying in to the public eye. Athletes are described/defined now per how much they make parallel or above their talent level. The term "jocks" is perfect for some of them as that is where their essence lies and it evident in high school on through professional play.  Note in Newton's apology he stated that was what he is when he said "don't be like me." Also, when men do these things to women they say "I have daughters of my own at home." So what? Most felons have children, how does that stand as an excuse or rationale? Stop buying Gatorade as it apparently is run by "jocks".

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The reporter stated when she met with him after his stupid remarks he was even more downgrading to her but she would not elaborate. Pro sports is one thing now, money. Look at the clowns that are earning big money. Not naming names we have guys knocking out their girl friends in elevators, one player beats his children with tree branches because that's is the way he was raised, one punches a woman in the face in a club to note only a small few. How many players do these things to women and are not caught? Young punks with little education making mega millions with instant fame is a formula for this behavior. Inject this with what can only defined as stupidity you have an unmanned missile flying in to the public eye. Athletes are described/defined now per how much they make parallel or above their talent level. The term "jocks" is perfect for some of them as that is where their essence lies and it evident in high school on through professional play.  Note in Newton's apology he stated that was what he is when he said "don't be like me." Also, when men do these things to women they say "I have daughters of my own at home." So what? Most felons have children, how does that stand as an excuse or rationale? Stop buying Gatorade as it apparently is run by "jocks".

You don't need to "name names".  It is clear who you are referring to.

Her comments were much more racist, than his sexist. Thats like a murderer prosecuting a thief. Her comments were blatant, while Cams were back handed. Pretty much calling someone a sexist when you are a closeted racist is incredibly stupid. Obviously Cam had no knowledge of her tweets and i hope she gets more than a slap on the wrist. Imagine reporting for a league that has mainly african American men and now they all know what she had said. She should be fired IMO...

20 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Dear God...  :facepalm:

You could say the same for most professions since women weren't even allowed to be "professionals" in the past.  Are men more intelligent when it comes to politics?  Medicine?  The Law?

Is womens' knowledge of everything but home-making "inferior" to mens because they are playing "catch-up" in everything?

^^^ I cannot like this enough as a general statement. :thanks: 

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Please make an argument that women are as intelligent as men in football. Most don't follow the Draft or FA, most don't play fantasy football, most don't know every player on every team and some don't know every player on their own team. A lot of them are casual fans, if you think that makes them "inferior" that's on you, but sports (and football in general), have always been more of a guys thing.

Your rant is really bad saying politics, medicine, and the law as well.

You don't know who follows the draft. I probably have been following the draft before you were old enough to know what a football looks like (since 1992). 

When I first signed up here, no one knew I was a woman. I would chat with many folks here and they thought I was a man. Right, @dgambill ? haha No one questioned my "football knowledge".