Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The crazy notion that Luck is unhappy....../ Luck Rumor not true/ Clearing the air ( (merge))

JRnINDY

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When I'm talking ab out "not helping Luck" this is what I mean....

Luck never called his HS coach to suggest plays or idea that the coach could use....

Luck never did that with Harbaugh or Shaw, either.

I'm not saying Oliver and Andrew never had father and son talks about football.     I'm sure they did.    Absolutely sure.

But I'm also saying Oliver does NOT call Jim Irsay to complain about the O-line blocking for his son.    He doesn't sit in the owners box and tell Jim Irsay that his son isn't happy with the development of the team,  or that his son will want to be traded.      That's NOT how the Luck family operates.

Concerns about the team are made either by Andrew directly, or by the agent.    Not by the dad.

I agree with all that, would be crazy if his father did that... All I'm saying is Andrew can and does discuss things he doesn't like with his dad. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Smitto said:

You're comparing guitar playing to football, played LB for my old high-school and so did my dad and you best believe he had tips and pointers especially during my senior year hoping for a scholarship. Luck may stick to financial stuff with his agent... Which is his uncle btw but he definitely talks about decisions with his dad... There's no doubt about that. 

No, I'm not comparing playing guitar to playing football. I'm saying- well, what I said. I'd assume his interest in the game is directly influenced by his dad playing it. Everyone is different, but Andrew and Oliver have stated that their relationship isn't Coach/Pupil. I'm sure that they do talk about "decisions" though.

For example, we know Oliver works for the NCAA out of Indy now, because Andrew plays there and is the second highest paid player there. They probably talked about that.. Too cheeky? Probably, but you get my drift..

And I'd wager that they don't play dumb about things around each other, but there's a line between as NewColts fan says, having dad pound the table for you and discussing things in private.

I'm not sure what the upshot of your point is to be honest. This is stuff that's kind of on the record.

(I see your prior post- I get your point now..)

44 minutes ago, Smitto said:

"If I had a question, he would answer it," the Colts QB recently told ESPN's Hannah Storm, "but he never muddied the line of coach and father. I appreciated that." 

So they do discuss football things, don't believe these articles.. I don't see his father telling him to not listen to his coach but there's no doubt they discuss football and other decisions. 

Yes,  they discuss football,  but I wanted to address the few posters who think Oliver is the one who is fighting his son's battles behind the scenes with Irsay.

I didn't want that one to spread out of control.      I wanted to stop that before it gained any momentum.

Sorry my wording was not more precise.

40 minutes ago, Smitto said:

"If I had a question, he would answer it," the Colts QB recently told ESPN's Hannah Storm, "but he never muddied the line of coach and father. I appreciated that." 

So they do discuss football things, don't believe these articles.. I don't see his father telling him to not listen to his coach but there's no doubt they discuss football and other decisions. 

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you in that regard. Keeping his distance and not discussing football at all are two very different things. I just sincerely doubt Oliver is calling up Irsay or interceding in some way. 

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You're such a class act. I wish I had more restraint and the sense of humor that you have.

Thank you.  I think you'll get a kick out of the shirt my husband wore last night setting up music equipment for tonight :)    haha   I get my sense of humor from him. lmao

Image may contain: 1 person, standing

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My sense is that critics aren't saying Luck has been wronged,  but that the franchise has wasted the opportunity of having such a talented QB and repeatedly failed to surround him with decent talent.    This is 6 years now.

People wonder what could have been if the Colts hadn't missed on so many draft picks, free agents,  and questionable coaching hires.       Look at Green Bay and transition from Favre to Rodgers.      That hasn't happened from Manning to Luck.      We're playing catch-up.

This certainly doesn't look like a quick fix for Ballard....

Well the trajectory was positive until 2015. We know what it's been like since then, and it resulted in Grigson losing his job. It looks like Pagano is next. So if anyone thinks the Colts need to make changes to take better advantage of having a good QB, well, just look at what's happening. 

End of the day, though, the idea that the Colts are wasting an opportunity is kind of a spoiled, entitled viewpoint. I don't blame people for getting restless; I'm restless myself, starting with the first preseason game, because I haven't liked the coaching staff's approach. But that's a far cry from 'the Colts are ruining Luck and he should want out.' 

I also don't think the Colts situation is comparable with the Packers situation. They had a prolonged transition from Favre to Rodgers, and Rodgers wound up taking over a 12-4 team that had just gone to the NFCCG. They kept the same front office and coaching staff. Luck took over a 2-14 team, with a new front office and coaching staff. Despite that, the first three years of the Luck era were more productive than the first three years of the Rodgers era. 

It's definitely fair to wonder what could have been if the Colts hadn't missed on so many picks. Three years in a row they blew their first round pick, and they have nothing to show for the 2013 draft. That's why Grigson is gone. 

If they do this right, the fix doesn't have to be prolonged. But to build a roster with ascending young players and defensive playmakers, it's going to take some time. Along the way, a strong coaching staff and some veteran talent at OL can get the Colts back to the top of the division pretty quickly. I think Ballard has a plan for the staff and the roster -- I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt -- and if he makes good use of his resources in 2018, the entire team should have a different feel to it.

13 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

That's easy, grey is an achromatic neutral. By nature, being made up of the achromtic neutrals white & black, grey lies within a range, often referred to as a value or grey scale, ranging from high or light value to low or darker values, with pure white at the high/light end & pitch black at the low/dark end...

Bill Nye The Science Guy!!

Luck is 28 years old, most likely will be ineffective if he even returns to play this season.  Then, will be 29 years approaching father time for athletes  at that age.  Sad to say, hasn't won or will he ever win the The Big One.  This is attributed to the running of the organization starting with the owner....Can't recognize talent in the coaching profession....Everyone has said this before, they ship out the wrong coach when Pagano came back from his sabatical leave....

3 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Luck is 28 years old, most likely will be ineffective if he even returns to play this season.  Then, will be 29 years approaching father time for athletes  at that age.  Sad to say, hasn't won or will he ever win the The Big One.  This is attributed to the running of the organization starting with the owner....Can't recognize talent in the coaching profession....Everyone has said this before, they ship out the wrong coach when Pagano came back from his sabatical leave....

Ownership is critical in any sport. There are plenty examples of teams improving under new ownership after languishing under long term owners. Cubs, Red Sox. Heck, the Patriots never won anything before Kraft.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Well the trajectory was positive until 2015. We know what it's been like since then, and it resulted in Grigson losing his job. It looks like Pagano is next. So if anyone thinks the Colts need to make changes to take better advantage of having a good QB, well, just look at what's happening. 

End of the day, though, the idea that the Colts are wasting an opportunity is kind of a spoiled, entitled viewpoint. I don't blame people for getting restless; I'm restless myself, starting with the first preseason game, because I haven't liked the coaching staff's approach. But that's a far cry from 'the Colts are ruining Luck and he should want out.' 

I also don't think the Colts situation is comparable with the Packers situation. They had a prolonged transition from Favre to Rodgers, and Rodgers wound up taking over a 12-4 team that had just gone to the NFCCG. They kept the same front office and coaching staff. Luck took over a 2-14 team, with a new front office and coaching staff. Despite that, the first three years of the Luck era were more productive than the first three years of the Rodgers era. 

It's definitely fair to wonder what could have been if the Colts hadn't missed on so many picks. Three years in a row they blew their first round pick, and they have nothing to show for the 2013 draft. That's why Grigson is gone. 

If they do this right, the fix doesn't have to be prolonged. But to build a roster with ascending young players and defensive playmakers, it's going to take some time. Along the way, a strong coaching staff and some veteran talent at OL can get the Colts back to the top of the division pretty quickly. I think Ballard has a plan for the staff and the roster -- I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt -- and if he makes good use of his resources in 2018, the entire team should have a different feel to it.

Ballard deserves the benefit of the doubt.  He has said he will make mistakes along the way.  I am sure if he had a do over he would have signed a real no. 2 QB like Fitzpatrick and he would signed a quality FA  OL  or two like Zeitler.  We are who we are unless he makes a meaningful trade. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard deserves the benefit of the doubt.  He has said he will make mistakes along the way.  I am sure if he had a do over he would have signed a real no. 2 QB like Fitzpatrick and he would signed a quality FA  OL  or two like Zeitler.  We are who we are unless he makes a meaningful trade. 

How do we know Zeitler would have come? I think we were in the market for him, but it doesn't mean he wants to come to Indy. They wanted a vet QB, but he wanted too much money. It might have been Fitzpatrick, Cutler, or someone else. 

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Fitzpatrick isn't good, I wouldn't have wanted him. Yes, he's better than Tolzien has proved to be...

As for Zeitler, the Colts wanted to roll with their young linemen. I supported that decision at the time because the young guys finished the season well, and looked like they could pick up where they left off in Year 2 with Philbin. I still think that's a big part of the plan, and spending $12m on an interior lineman wasn't an attractive option. I'm not going to hindsight GM that decision.

However, if the OL doesn't pick it up over the rest of the season, adding a couple of vets -- and maybe moving on from AC -- will be a serious consideration, IMO. Someone has to lock down RT at some point, and while AC always seems to have a tough September, if he doesn't bounce back in Week 3 and play well the rest of the season, I don't think we should pay him another $8m in 2018.

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They did try to sign Zeitler.  He elected not to come here.  Nothing you can do if the free agent doesn't want to sign with you.  Also a big part of the line's problems is injruies.  Guys have been in and out and all over the place because people can't stay healthy.  I'll also say they were hurt by the fact Haeg and Clark don't look to have progressed from their rookie years like I am sure they expected them too.  Had Ballard known that maybe he does something different but that's 20/20 hindsight.  If we play that game I also think we are having a very different conversation if Haeg and Clark did progress and Kelly and Good stayed healthy.

ill say Ballard probably should have realized Tolizen wasn't the answer sooner, and since Irsay said they did look into bringing in a vet QB but the price was too high I'll say he did, but I'd rather have Brissett than Fitzpatrick going forward so it might have been later than it should have been but in the end I think Ballard got that move right.

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It's apparent that Tolzien and the O-line were not adequate.  Fitz would have been OK. I give him credit for adding Brissett.  Not too many better options.