1. A guy who isn't on the team

2. A guy who isn't on the team

3. A guy with no knees

4. A guy with no head

5. A guy who isn't on the team

6. A guy who isn't on the team

7. A guy who isn't on the team

8. A guy who isn't on the team

I am unsure what happened to Geather's head?

Do we just send players on the IR straight to the guillotine? :fear:

BTW, its actually Polians fault for not allowing Grigson to inherit a HOF player and a near pro bowl player at the BEGINNING of their careers.  Harrison and Tarik Glenn were drafted by Bill Tobin two years before Polian inherited the team.  Polian had the benefit of those two draft picks nearly his entire career, where as Grigson had Wayne and Mathis near the end of there careers.

Where would the team be if Wayne and Mathis were on the team right now in the prime of their careers?

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

BTW, its actually Polians fault for not allowing Grigson to inherit a HOF player and a near pro bowl player at the BEGINNING of their careers.  Harrison and Tarik Glenn were drafted by Bill Tobin two years before Polian inherited the team.  Polian had the benefit of those two draft picks nearly his entire career, where as Grigson had Wayne and Mathis near the end of there careers.

Where would the team be if Wayne and Mathis were on the team right now in the prime of their careers?

I know what you mean here, but Polian's career was hall of fame caliber before he set foot on W. 56th street.....  

14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I know what you mean here, but Polian's career was hall of fame caliber before he set foot on W. 56th street.....  

To Polian's credit, he drafted first round guys that fit what the team needed and his hit rate on first round picks is what ensured his success here. Of course #18 helps too. :) 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To Polian's credit, he drafted first round guys that fit what the team needed and his hit rate on first round picks is what ensured his success here. Of course #18 helps too. :) 

However, Polian's drafts from 2007-2011 were nothing to write home about.  Couple that with what a Grigson did subsequently and the Colts are now in the position they are.

33 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Yes.  And his first two draft picks after Manning, 1st picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds,  were WRs Jerome Pathon and EJ Green, two washouts.  He signed FAs Chad Bratzke, Chad Cota, traded a 2nd round pick for CB Tyrone Poole ( a worse CB than Vontae), and made a number of bonehead picks and decisions that rival Grigson's...all the while being combative with the media.

The difference was that he inherited some all pro players at the beginning of their careers, and stuck around long enough to where a few of his draft picks became probowlers for a long time...not to mention having the 4th pick in the draft with which to draft Edgerrin James, a pick he was allowed to make after the team had an obviously horrible record the year before.  Also, the 11th pick in the draft with which to draft Freeney, after yet another bad season.

He also had the help of a good talent evaluator in Tony Dungy.  

Those are facts.

That's not to defend Grigson's drafts, but there were a lot of similarities in the beginning of their Colts careers.  One stuck around, one was fired.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  And his first two draft picks after Manning, 1st picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds,  were WRs Jerome Pathon and EJ Green, two washouts.  He signed FAs Chad Bratzke, Chad Cota, traded a 2nd round pick for CB Tyrone Poole ( a worse CB than Vontae), and made a number of bonehead picks and decisions that rival Grigson's...all the while being combative with the media.

The difference was that he inherited some all pro players at the beginning of their careers, and stuck around long enough to where a few of his draft picks became probowlers for a long time...not to mention having the 4th pick in the draft with which to draft Edgerrin James, a pick he was allowed to make after the team had an obviously horrible record the year before.  He also had the help of a good talent evaluator in Tony Dungy.  Those are facts.

That's not to defend Grigson, but there were a lot of similarities in the beginning of their Colts careers.  One stuck around, one was fired.

I wasn't aware Tony was known as an evaluator, but I could see it......  Polian was much better finding starter quality players than Grigson.  I think therein lies the difference.  for every Jerome Pathon and EG Green, there were Antoine Bethea's and Jeff Saturday's......  Grigson never found starters/pro bowlers in the late rounds and UFA at anywhere near the rate Polian and his scouting staff did....

4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I wasn't aware Tony was known as an evaluator, but I could see it......  Polian was much better finding starter quality players than Grigson.  I think therein lies the difference.  for every Jerome Pathon and EG Green, there were Antoine Bethea's and Jeff Saturday's......  Grigson never found starters/pro bowlers in the late rounds and UFA at anywhere near the rate Polian and his scouting staff did....

I agree, but you also have to compare apples to apples.  How many years did Polian have to find the few late round gems he did.

BTW, Saturday was a bit of a fluke.  He had a symbiotic relationship with Manning, but its hard to tell what he would have been on other teams.  Luck does not appear to be Manning in that way.

hell, Everyone hated Robert Morris because he wasn't Zach Thomas, but that pick would have been one of Grigson's finest......  Marcus Washington and Mike Peterson Polian drafts 4 and 3 respectively, better than any Grigson 2nd rounders for Indy.....year 4 he was getting Rick DeMulling in the 7th, and Ryan Diem in the 4th.....  Grigsons 4th year he landed Anderson and Geathers...... his yr 4 1st rounder vs. Polians?  that's Wayne vs. Dorsett......  same year into their tenures, same position, same draft round and area.......  and both unpopular picks with fans at first..... hell they were both from the U..... doesn't get more apples to apples than that.....

7 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

saying he was only good with the team he was on is something you can discount or hold against Polian?  lol  if anything, wouldn't it be harder to identify and sign a guy who ONLY is effective with your team?

I think when Saturday was signed it wasn't expected that the would be the player he was.  He was working at a grocery store or someplace.  They found out later how good he was and Saturday himself developed.  Its not like Polian knew the guy working at the grocery store was going to be an all pro when teamed with Manning.

My point is is that there is no GM that is an elixir for a team's talent problems.  They all get lucky and unlucky to some degree in that things have to also fall into place.  Polian was unlucky in that he was never able to have a high enough draft pick to get the UnderTackle that was so essential to the Dungy defense.  Only when he was ABLE to trade for Booger did he find it.  Remember the Cory Simon mega signing?

12 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Simon was awesome here the first year...... he then lost it upstairs and that was the end of his career......  but we generally agree on GM's, they aren't close to perfect, more like the all time greats bat about .600

Hopefully, Hankins will be more like Booger than Simon.

But Booger had to be traded for while Simon was not resigned by his team.  Oops.