Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts tanking this year?

JMichael557

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Are you going to be in the chat room tonight?

I usually just Post on the Game Thread. I will be here for a while but have to work tomorrow morning. That will be my last Sunday I work the rest of the year lmao. That is the one day everyone knows here at work to leave me alone during Football season.

5 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Let's look at the evidence

1. It is apparent that the Luck will be back talk from Irsay and Ballard was at least a ruse for the early part of the season and maybe longer. 

2. Despite Luck's long term recovery we have intentionally not brought in a QB that would help us compete

3. We kept Pagano for one more year so as not to place a new coach in a no win situation without a healthy Andrew Luck

4. We signed a lot of players to one year basically tryout deals.  

5. We recognize that we need better talent which come from drafting early

It seems to me that Irsay and Ballard have agreed to a one year reset plan. Use the one year to evaluate what we have and then start over next year. The decision on Pagano has been made and I think that Chuck is finally starting to figure that out. If Luck goes on the PUP list to start the season then we know the above is true. 

I think they realize this is a rebuilding year and are being very careful with Luck. 

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I saw a team that looked nervous and unsure of their assignments.

i think (hope) as they get more comfortable with each other and the playbook, they will gain a second or two and we'll see more plays made. I saw alot of "almosts".

i'm not ssying we looked good, but i was encouraged by the turnovers, energy, and that defenders were on their men, just didnt make the plays.  I am hopeful this improves.

we can choose to complain and write the year off, or we can hope by midseason this team starts gelling.  If we can be close to .500 at midpoint, i think we still have shot at division.  That is a realistic goal.

get these young guys some experience, add some more players next year and we could be a solid all-around team.  

This is a temporary setback,imo, this team still has a potentially bright future. We just have to weather the storm.

Exactly. Lots of new guys, less off season to prepare, and a backup QB that is under performing his coaches expectations, albeit with missing receivers, a TE, AND MORE THAN HALF the O-Line. Gee Whizz!

So maybe this is actually a silly thread.

Haeg and Mewhort are going to be bad. jmo

50 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Exactly. Lots of new guys, less off season to prepare, and a backup QB that is under performing his coaches expectations, albeit with missing receivers, a TE, AND MORE THAN HALF the O-Line. Gee Whizz!

So maybe this is actually a silly thread.

Haeg and Mewhort are going to be bad. jmo

I'm still confused by mewhort and haeg switch.  It seemed like we all were very happy with left tackle to center with castonzo / mewhort / kelly.  Almost wanna say solid.  I even felt comfortable with good and haeg battling for RG.  I was semi-comfortable there.  RT was the only real worrysome position on OL for me.  

Then they switched guards, good and clark seem to be in the doghouse, and kelly goes down.  We kinda went from promising (in my eyes), to a trainereck. haha

i'm exaggerating, i hope, but still. With the turmoil at center and RT, wouldnt you consider switching guards back where they have more reps?  Or did haeg play more LG when Mewhort was out?

On 8/26/2017 at 10:12 AM, JMichael557 said:

Let's look at the evidence

1. It is apparent that the Luck will be back talk from Irsay and Ballard was at least a ruse for the early part of the season and maybe longer. 

2. Despite Luck's long term recovery we have intentionally not brought in a QB that would help us compete

3. We kept Pagano for one more year so as not to place a new coach in a no win situation without a healthy Andrew Luck

4. We signed a lot of players to one year basically tryout deals.  

5. We recognize that we need better talent which come from drafting early

It seems to me that Irsay and Ballard have agreed to a one year reset plan. Use the one year to evaluate what we have and then start over next year. The decision on Pagano has been made and I think that Chuck is finally starting to figure that out. If Luck goes on the PUP list to start the season then we know the above is true. 

This thread premise is insane TANKING the season makes absolutely no sense based on your evaluation, a conclusion based on off season moves 1 draft & 2 preseason games is  premature at best .

Ballard like Grigson before him is " Doing it his way " Whether we as fans agree with his actions or not we must agree on 1 thing its his job to lose once again like Grigson .

1 Attribute it to wish full thinking ,

2  How do you know its long term recovery ?. We don't need to bring anyone in Stephen Morris can do the job .

3 You must like conspiracy novels .

4 Yeah makes sense lots of holes not all will work out sounds like common sense to me .

5 Yeah ding ding ding give that man a cigar  , Sounds like you want the Colts to Tank . 

News Flash the Colts despite popular belief did not SUCK for LUCK & They'll not be TANKING this or any other season ,

Luck will not be rushed back onto the field playing with injuries like in the past & the Colts will do fine IMO with Morris not Tolzien .

We're not TRYING to tank......

But I suspect Irsay wouldn't be terribly upset if it turns out that we finish 500 again, or even a little worse and got good draft position.      He'd never admit that,  not in a million years.     But I ppersonally think that.

But I don't see any signs that we're TRYIG to tank.....     no.     Sorry.

It just doesn't make sense to tank.  It makes no sense to even be talking about it in the preseason with so many factors still up in the air.

If we were talking about tanking the last few games of the regular season because we had already been eliminated from the playoffs and were in the 1-10 drafting range anyway...  :dunno:

I still wouldn't like the idea of losing games on purpose and I hope we never actually do it.  Every team should be SB or bust every year.  We've seen crazy things happen in the NFL, and you know what they say about any given Sunday.  :thmup:

:clover:

Nope, they are not tanking.   They were/are putting all their hopes in Luck and a rebuilt defense.  

To think Ballard is willing to "tank" is absurd.  

I'll admit that they aren't going "all in" to win, but that is not tanking.   I do not want to see them trade draft picks for any of these guys.   The Vikings traded their 1st and 4th round picks for Bradford. 

1. Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots
2. Matt Moore, Dolphins
3. Trevor Siemian/Paxton Lynch, Broncos
4. Colt McCoy, Redskins
5. Deshaun Watson, Texans
6. AJ McCarron, Bengals
7. T.J. Yates/Cardale Jones/Nathan Peterman, Bills
8. Mitchell Trubisky/Mike Glennon, Bears
9. Chad Henne, Jaguars
10. Geno Smith, Giants
11. Drew Stanton, Cardinals
12. Kevin Hogan/Brock Osweiler/DeShone Kizer, Browns
13. Chase Daniel, Saints
14. Derek Anderson, Panthers
15. Nick Foles, Eagles
16. Ryan Mallett, Ravens
17. Case Keenum, Vikings
18. Matt Barkley/CJ Beathard, 49ers
19. Bryce Petty/Christian Hackenberg, Jets – special Jets category
20. Landry Jones/Josh Dobbs, Steelers
21. Trevone Boykin, Seahawks
22. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs
23. Matt Cassel, Titans
24. Kellen Clemens, Chargers
25. Connor Cook/EJ Manuel, Raiders
26. Matt Schaub, Falcons
27. Brett Hundley, Packers
28. Kellen Moore, Cowboys
29. Scott Tolzien, Colts
30. Sean Mannion, Rams
31. Jake Rudock/Brad Kaaya, Lions
32. Ryan Griffin, Buccaneers

On 8/26/2017 at 0:43 PM, BProland85 said:

I wouldn't call it deliberately tanking, but do I think Ballard and Irsay are treating this as a rebuild year, yes I do. I think Irsay secretely would rather have a 4-12 season with a top 5 pick over an 8-8 season and picking around 15. And I agree. 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/03/27/insider-irsay-asks-patience-while-colts-go-young/99692954/ 

He has already said he will take a losing season over an 8-8 season to help get better.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We're not TRYING to tank......

But I suspect Irsay wouldn't be terribly upset if it turns out that we finish 500 again, or even a little worse and got good draft position.      He'd never admit that,  not in a million years.     But I ppersonally think that.

But I don't see any signs that we're TRYIG to tank.....     no.     Sorry.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/03/27/insider-irsay-asks-patience-while-colts-go-young/99692954/ 

He would admit it and he has.  Ballard knows he has time and patience and he is not rushing Luck back because of this.  Are we "tanking" though....not at all.  We have key injuries and a rebuild in motion that equals into a possible down year.  I agree with you we are not trying to tank...