Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

Instead of having the NBA all-stars split up and face each other..

..why not have the 'Rising Stars' take on the NBA all-stars

Make all rookies and 2nd year players play for the rising stars. even if they were picked as as all-stars

Embid, Kuzma, Sabonis, Markanen, Lonzo Ball. Ingram,sand others.  There a lot of good 1st and 2nd year players who could give the NBA all-stars a game that would be worthy watching

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That usually is the case but not so sure this season unless they make a trade.

at the start of the season, many said that OKC wont and cant work with Paul George Carmelo and Russell Westbrook.

2 months later...they play together well.  We didn't want to wait for it to happen

I think we get way too caught up in everyday reports and bickering.

That stuff turns around. This same team won 18 of 19 a month ago.

Isiah has played what? 8 games with the Cavs?.... But we know it wont work. They cant win the East..

'

I'm glad the Pacers are playing Cleveland for the final time Friday.

I dont want to play them after Isiah has played 20-30 games with them

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

at the start of the season, many said that OKC wont and cant work with Paul George Carmelo and Russell Westbrook.

2 months later...they play together well.  We didn't want to wait for it to happen

I think we get way too caught up in everyday reports and bickering.

That stuff turns around. This same team won 18 of 19 a month ago.

Isiah has played what? 8 games with the Cavs?.... But we know it wont work. They cant win the East..

'

I'm glad the Pacers are playing Cleveland for the final time Friday.

I dont want to play them after Isiah has played 20-30 games with them

I said all along OKC would be Good but I get your point. I just think the Cavs don't look the same as years past, there is a lot of age on that team. LeBron isn't a spring chicken anymore either.

From their standpoint, they needed to get Tristan Thompson back in as a starter. He just did not play well off the bench. Also, with Isiah being so small, you have to have a shot blocker out there...

Id stagger Isiah's time so he goes against the second team some...because he takes the ball out of LeBron's hands.

They've got to get Korver more shots and slip Wade in with LBJ.

But all of this is something they can do. I just hope they do it starting Saturday

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

From their standpoint, they needed to get Tristan Thompson back in as a starter. He just did not play well off the bench. Also, with Isiah being so small, you have to have a shot blocker out there...

Id stagger Isiah's time so he goes against the second team some...because he takes the ball out of LeBron's hands.

They've got to get Korver more shots and slip Wade in with LBJ.

But all of this is something they can do. I just hope they do it staring Saturday

Regardless it will be tough beating them 4 times in a row is why I think we may lose tomorrow. We play Orlando Saturday so if we do lose, we should bounce back and win that one.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

OKC 54, Washington 40 - half

Eventually, the subject may shift to 'What has happened to Washington'?

If the Wizards lose again...The Pacers pass Washington in the standings if they beat Cleveland

I have been waiting for the Wiz to get going for a minute. Wall getting back I thought would do it. I'm starting to wonder if it happens.

Did you see the deadline deal article at 8points9seconds? They say Clarkson and Nance Jr for Jefferson work salary rise. I'm not sure how but I'm going to take their word for it. Nance Jr would take some of the worry away from sending Al out. I'd love to see Pritchard pull that off. He'd have to be exec of the year. It'd help our bench scoring and rebounding plus we add guys with a future. 

https://8points9seconds.com/2018/01/23/pacers-pritchard-tread-lightly/

OKC 54, Washington 40 - half

Eventually, the subject may shift to 'What has happened to Washington'?

If the Wizards lose again...The Pacers pass Washington in the standings if they beat Cleveland

Westbrook just made Washington his punk lmao Did you guys just see that slam! OKC about to win there 6th in a row.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

And that is the Cherry on top of the Sundae for the Thunder, Westbrook jams it! I got news for the Warriors they want no part of OKC if they play like this. They are clicking now folks. I want to see a Houston/OKC 2nd Round matchup, that will be possible if Houston stays at #2 and OKC gets to 3rd.

Let's hope they keep rolling they have one more with the Wiz then Detroit and Philly before the break. It would help us if they win out.  OKC is looking at GS in the second round but there's still thirty some games for that to change.  A lot will depend on how SA shakes out 

15 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I dont want to go against LeBron.... I'd rather play Washington or Boston, if they don't have Hayward.

The Cavs wont be the same team in April that they are now

I don't agree 100% and I don't disagree 100% lol.  If the Cavs stand pat and don't make any trades, they are in trouble.  They can't defend.  It doesn't matter how many points they score if they can't stop the other team.  If they make a trade and get it together, I most definitely wouldn't want to play them.  I agree with wanting to play Washington.  I think Boston will be a tough team come playoff time too.  Right now the Pacers are 5th, they could continue to move up. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I don't agree 100% and I don't disagree 100% lol.  If the Cavs stand pat and don't make any trades, they are in trouble.  They can't defend.  It doesn't matter how many points they score if they can't stop the other team.  If they make a trade and get it together, I most definitely wouldn't want to play them.  I agree with wanting to play Washington.  I think Boston will be a tough team come playoff time too.  Right now the Pacers are 5th, they could continue to move up. 

The East is so up in the air, we can beat anybody or lose to anybody lmao. I think Boston is even beatable and LeBron's Cavs aren't the same. Having said that a team like Philly could be dangerous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The East is so up in the air, we can beat anybody or lose to anybody lmao. I think Boston is even beatable and LeBron's Cavs aren't the same. Having said that a team like Philly could be dangerous.

I agree with you as far as it being wide open.  Philly needs a few more pieces and a couple more  years to get there.  As long as they stay together and healthy, they will be tough. I think there to inconsistent this year.  Beat decent teams and lose to bad teams etc. 

4 minutes ago, akcolt said:

It looks like we didn't want to be bothered with a game tonight. The ball is sticking to everyone way too much dribbling.then not a lot of effort on the other end. That is not a recipe for winning 

we don't have the offensive talent they do.......

....we've got to get turnovers and shoot well to beat them

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

PG-13 dominating too! How did PG not make the All-Star team lmao. Someone was high leaving him off. All that did was make him mad haha 

You can only have so many Western Conference all stars....Lou Williams isn't an all star either

But I know what you mean..I'd have picked Paul over Klay Thompson

Edited by oldunclemark

Cavs would be better off moving IT if they can, he don't fit this team at all. He can't play recklessly in ISO hitting miracle shots or off Lebron/Love well like Kyrie did.

I will give him more time but he just looks too damn small on the Cavs. And his defense sucks, it was better in Boston since they paired him with Averly Bradley who cleaned up his mistakes.

On a side note since I am just rambling lately and not even really watching games LOL. I am not even online much lately but someone sent me this:

Such is life as a 19 year old young star in the NBA. lmaolmaolmao I mean come on let him in!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Jules said:

Cavs would be better off moving IT if they can, he don't fit this team at all. He can't play recklessly in ISO hitting miracle shots or off Lebron/Love well like Kyrie did.

I will give him more time but he just looks too damn small on the Cavs. And his defense sucks, it was better in Boston since they paired him with Averly Bradley who cleaned up his mistakes.

There's no 'moving IT'  ..He isn't signed for next year and he'd want $20-$25 mil

They've got to make it work..kinda like OKC seems to

• Like 1

115-108.....a loss but not a bad one..

Collison had 6 steals...Sabonis..17 points and 12 rebounds..

we need Myles Turner and Glenn Robinson

21 Cavs turnovers...9 by LBJ.....but he scored big baskets when we were rallying

It was going to be hard to get the Cav's 4 times in a row. I knew we were in trouble when we let JR get it going. Did Rose ever miss a shot? The East is still going through Cleveland. It's surprising  how quickly everyone wants to write them off. CBS Sportsline had LBJ for 11 to's giving him the quad double 26 10 11 & 11. 

Anyone catch the Knicks? Trey Burke is a guy I really wanted to bring in when he was teamless last summer  He has worked his way back into the League. Since he's been called up from the G League he's shooting 64% with a turnover to assist ratio of 4 to .4 per game. .He followed up an 18pt 11 assist performance last night with 18 more tonight  in 17 mins.

I'm a.big IU fan as a result watch a lot of the Big 10. Anyone who has a watched Burke play knew he had the talent. A Michigan alumn and former lottery pick. National & Big 10 POY, NBA 1st team All Rookie and Skills Champ. His  career was off to a good start in Utah but immaturity got the best of him. It's good to see him figure it out and get back on the right track. 

Quick update on Gordon Hayward. Still too soon to know if he is going to return but insiders say "Gordon wants to badly and is working hard". In the end though it will come down to of course doctors and to some degree Brad Stevens. Stevens has to be comfortable with it too since Gordon is like a son to him.

Anyway this is Gordon a few nights ago in Cali:

Don't think the lift is all the way there yet with his feet. But he is already doing crossover dribbles.

I hope he can at least get some regular season action by years end, getting that mental hurdle out of the way after a horrific injury is important too.

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

We went from 5th place to 8th place with one loss. It's gonna be a close race in the East.

Detroit has fallen off it'd be nice if the top 8 pulled away a little more. We have a nice home stand heading in to the break. I think we jump back up to 5th or so. Yes it's going to be a close race for the bottom 5 spots. The Cavs Raptors and C's will finish in some oder 1-3 I believe barring injuries 

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

We went from 5th place to 8th place with one loss. It's gonna be a close race in the East.

I had a feeling we would lose. To sweep the season series from them would've been real impressive. They were due to beat us. To be honest regarding seeding, I don't think it matter much where we finish, whether it's 4, 5, or 8th, etc.. I think everyone in the East is beatable. As long we dont drop below 8th its all good. I don't think Detroit or NY will finish above .500 this season.

• Future thoughts on a 26-23 team..
  •  
  • Big Al Jefferson is in the 2nd year of a 3-year contract
  • He will be paid $10 mil next year of we keep him..It will cost us $4 mil to release him.
  • He just turned 33 years old.

Bogan Bogdanovic is in the first year of a 2-year contract that pays him $10.5 mil each year.

He'll be 29 next year.

We have a 'team option' where we could release him but we can also bring him back at a reasonable price.

Do we keep him?

Thad Young is set to get $13.7 mil next season on the final year of a 3-year contract next year.

I believe he has a 'player option' He can leave if he wants a long term contract or he can stay with us if he wants to. He'll be 30 next year. Should we trade him or keep him?.

Darren Collison is in the first year of a 2-year contract that pays $10 mil a year.

He'll be 31 next season. I believe we have a 'team option'.on him.  We can keep him or release him. Do we keep him?

None of these contracts obligate us beyond next season.

Myles Turner and Domatas Sabonis will be 22 next season. TJ Leaf will be 21.

Glenn  Robinson just turned 24. They are all signed for next year although Turner will be looking at a long term deal.

Victor Oladipo is in the first year of a guaranteed 4-year contract at $21 mil a year. We cant cut him.  He cant leave.  By all indications, he's here until 2021

We could start Sabonis and Turner (we have to do that eventually) with Cory Joseph, Oladipo and Glenn Robinson if Bodanovic, Collison and Young leave. But it strikes me that we can keep this entire team together next year, let the young forwards gain experience, draft someone in the middle of the first round and wait for the 2019 season to look for the 'impact' free agent to contend.  All of our veterans have played well.

If we cut Bogdanovic and Collison, trade Young and Big Al and open up $44 mil to pursue a 'major player' this summer.

I dont know who that 'major player' would be. But there's always someone and eventually, we have to go matter that someone or we'll stay a 45-50 win team. We need wing players. We have tall forwards and small guards.

There's no 'correct' way forward here. What would you do?

Edited by oldunclemark

13 hours ago, akcolt said:

It was going to be hard to get the Cav's 4 times in a row. I knew we were in trouble when we let JR get it going. Did Rose ever miss a shot? The East is still going through Cleveland. It's surprising  how quickly everyone wants to write them off. CBS Sportsline had LBJ for 11 to's giving him the quad double 26 10 11 & 11. 

Cleveland might be better off if Derrick Rose started with JR Smith and Isiah came off the bench and played against the second unit of other teams.  Isiah takes shots away from Kevin Love, clearly.

They have so much talent up and down the bench. I'm glad we're done with them.