Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phil B's Blog On Peyton...interesting

TubaGuy

Manning, like anyone else, simply wants to keep his job and, unlike most people, is loyal to one team/organization. Many of you here in this forum would do whatever it took to keep your job even if you didn't particularly care for it. Manning like one other great athlete (Reggie Miller) has great loyalty and affection for this organization, team, and fans! He could have went anywhere he wanted and got paid whatever he wanted but he stayed and only took enough money so other players could be retained.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning, like anyone else, simply wants to keep his job and, unlike most people, is loyal to one team/organization. Many of you here in this forum would do whatever it took to keep your job even if you didn't particularly care for it. Manning like one other great athlete (Reggie Miller) has great loyalty and affection for this organization, team, and fans! He could have went anywhere he wanted and got paid whatever he wanted but he stayed and only took enough money so other players could be retained.

If what you say is true, why wouldn't Manning be willing to talk to Irsay about pushing out the March 8 option exercise date in order to provide time for the Colts to be satisfied that his performance ability (not the safety-related medical clearance) is up to snuff?

No that isn't the battle, but releasing Manning and the fan backlash vs. Manning retiring is the battle.

Why can't "fans" understand that it will be a business decision, not a personal attack if Peyton is cut?

He probably won't retire and as a fan of the Colts, I want what's going to work best for both parties going forward. If Peyton meets that criteria as a Colt or elsewhere than great. If he retires, so long, he's immortalized by the sports media day one after he's done.

I think the "real" battle actually might be the fans v the media. Regardless of who it is "breaking" all of the speculation, fans here generally hate it. Polian hated the media also, the fans disliked him for partly that reason. Its all talk, too much talk, talk that trash..cheap talk.. elephant talk!

If what you say is true, why wouldn't Manning be willing to talk to Irsay about pushing out the March 8 option exercise date in order to provide time for the Colts to be satisfied that his performance ability (not the safety-related medical clearance) is up to snuff?

Exactly.

People don't like to admit it, but it's about the money, at least partially, for all parties. If it wasn't, Peyton would be playing for the league minimum.

Why can't "fans" understand that it will be a business decision, not a personal attack if Peyton is cut?

He probably won't retire and as a fan of the Colts, I want what's going to work best for both parties going forward. If Peyton meets that criteria as a Colt or elsewhere than great. If he retires, so long, he's immortalized by the sports media day one after he's done.

I think the "real" battle actually might be the fans v the media. Regardless of who it is "breaking" all of the speculation, fans here generally hate it. Polian hated the media also, the fans disliked him for partly that reason. Its all talk, too much talk, talk that trash..cheap talk.. elephant talk!

I understand the business part of it.. There is no question when it comes to that. That is why I said as soon as it looked like we had a top 5 pick that Manning's days were done. The fan part of me doesn't care for the perception that Irsay would prefer Manning to retire, and part of that is because it makes things easier on Irsay.

Because as Mr. Irsay himself has said he and PM are not discussing that until after the SB is over!

I think part of that stems around Luck being added as opposed to a player that can contribute, or the draft pick traded for a package, more than it does with money. That is just my gut feeling. The sooner Manning is cut loose the sooner he can start looking at other options. I still don't see a valid reason for Manning to push the due date back to facilitate a trade even if it was possible.

Exactly.

People don't like to admit it, but it's about the money, at least partially, for all parties. If it wasn't, Peyton would be playing for the league minimum.

Every time I try to explain this I always get "Irsay said its not about the money" "We can manage if we resign player x, cut player y, and replace player y with player Z..." "Peyton will take a paycut and re-sign with the team" etc.

Every time I try to explain this I always get "Irsay said its not about the money" "We can manage if we resign player x, cut player y, and replace player y with player Z..." etc.

If it's not about the money for Irsay, you pay him and sit him on the bench for four years if you don't think he's healthy enough to play safely.

It's about the money, at least partially.

I understand the business part of it.. There is no question when it comes to that. That is why I said as soon as it looked like we had a top 5 pick that Manning's days were done. The fan part of me doesn't care for the perception that Irsay would prefer Manning to retire, and part of that is because it makes things easier on Irsay.

I figured Manning was on the outs after week 17, when they secured the 1# pick, I think if we were drafting 2 or below this wouldn't be an issue.

I figured Manning was on the outs after week 17, when they secured the 1# pick, I think if we were drafting 2 or below this wouldn't be an issue.

The #1 pick secured it, but even if we had say 3, 4 or 5, I could see them throwing in next year's # 1 and more picks to move up to #1 to take him. Again, just a gut feeling based on how Polian/Irsay were talking/acting at/around that point in time.

He can deny it, but there is no doubt in my mind Irsay has his mind made up. If he didn't he wouldn't be so petty about the situation. He knows he's fighting a losing a battle and he'st trying his best to win it. It's not going to happen.

Thanks one of the best post I have read all day and I for one don't think Irsay will win this battle unless he gets a QB that can have a great season next year. JMO of course.

I also don't read anything into what any of the writers on the Indy Star write and Phil B should have written an article about Eli or Brady instead of :stir:

Thanks one of the best post I have read all day and I for one don't think Irsay will win this battle unless he gets a QB that can have a great season next year. JMO of course.

Maybe. However, I think he will win this battle if a newbie QB leads us to anything better than 3 wins next season. By comparison, it will be better than PM's rookie season.

Article is like some sniveling little child who got his feelings hurt... which is not unusual for him or Kravitz, they are wannabe national journalists who are stuck at the local level- you read this junk from them all the time. It is no wonder not many of the Colts mgmt has wanted to give them the time of day. And speaking of Colts management....Hey Phil, if you haven't noticed, the owner is sitting behind every microphone in town talking about Peyton Manning- who he said would not be the center of attention this week. He also said if Peyton is healthy he will be a Colts...his backtracks are now showing. Before you dump on Manning, take a look a little higher up the ladder and at least be honest and fair.

Maybe. However, I think he will win this battle if a newbie QB leads us to anything better than 3 wins next season. By comparison, it will be better than PM's rookie season.

Well I guess time will tell whether the new QB can get 3 wins next year. Who knows with all the new coaching and changes only time will tell.

Exactly.

No he wouldn't. There'd be far too much pressure from the organization, and the NFLPA. The best players can't just take league minimum and >>> up everything they unionize for. Manning is a guy who also supports the other players. If he takes a cut-throat price, teams are going to expect their star players to do the same. Very few players are as marketable as Peyton Manning, healthy or not. There's NO WAY he'd take league minimum, unless he lost his mind somewhere. It's arbitrary to even suggest any player could or should do that in the NFL, and he would be ruining it for a lot of other guys with families to support.

I get the comparison but I don't see 4 wins as a win for Irsay, unless you are saying a healthy Manning could only manage 3. Then 4 wins could be a win for Irsay.

Phil isn't alone in his opinion......

http://mike-freeman...._fb_na_txt_0001

I know it will be hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube, but the Colts and Manning need to shut up and meet and reach a decision and move on. This is embarrassing. On every level.

I disagree. There's still over a month before anything final has to be settled upon, and they don't want to muck up the Super Bowl week any more than they have to. Things will make more sense next week.

I get the comparison but I don't see 4 wins as a win for Irsay, unless you are saying a healthy Manning could only manage 3. Then 4 wins could be a win for Irsay.

Well said. It wouldn't be about comparing Manning as a rookie to Luck as a rookie. Different teams, different times, different situations. It would be about comparing where Manning left us vs. what Luck brings. If Luck ends up with a losing record, there wouldn't be too many people happy with Irsay. Conversely, winning cures all.

By no means is 4 wins a win for Irsay but personally, I'd be disappointed if people jumped the gun by saying it was a catastrophe. If we drafted Luck by no means would it be for success in the 2012 season - it is very hard to argue Luck starting in 2012 would bring us a better season than (healthy) Manning starting in 2012. However I don't think that necessarily means a bad call by Irsay - no matter his first season, if Luck goes to 12 pro bowls and takes us to three super bowls, it'd be a successful thing to do. Everything at the moment is speculation.

By no means is 4 wins a win for Irsay but personally, I'd be disappointed if people jumped the gun by saying it was a catastrophe. If we drafted Luck by no means would it be for success in the 2012 season - it is very hard to argue Luck starting in 2012 would bring us a better season than (healthy) Manning starting in 2012. However I don't think that necessarily means a bad call by Irsay - no matter his first season, if Luck goes to 12 pro bowls and takes us to three super bowls, it'd be a successful thing to do. Everything at the moment is speculation.

Yup. But for some reaosn, the people are growing eerily impatient around here, despite the relatively calm demeanor of the people who's jobs are actually at stake in this.

Yup. But for some reaosn, the people are growing eerily impatient around here, despite the relatively calm demeanor of the people who's jobs are actually at stake in this.

The media have done their jobs then! They wanted a frenzy and look what they've got - people going crazy about word from assorted "sources" despite the fact we have, um, a little game called the Super Bowl in a couple of days. Frankly I'm not paying any more attention to what these "sources" have to say until I hear word from Irsay or Peyton saying definitively what's happening.

Phil isn't alone in his opinion......

http://mike-freeman...._fb_na_txt_0001

I know it will be hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube, but the Colts and Manning need to shut up and meet and reach a decision and move on. This is embarrassing. On every level.

Totally agree with what Phil and Mike said. I love me some PM, and have watched him since his Vols days (dad's from Tennessee), but I don't see what it would have hurt to not leak the report about his health until Monday. All he is doing is throwing gas on the fire, which is a good way to burn yourself as well.

That being said, I still want him on the roster next year.

I do think that it is about his health for Irsay. If this would have been a knee injury, PM would 100% be on the roster next year with Luck. Heck, we almost drafted Dalton last year when we thought PM would play for a bunch more years. Right or wrong, Irsay wants to have his cake and eat it to, and so do I. Who really cares if we have $20+ million wrapped up in the most important position on the field. The Saints will with Brees soon, as will the Packers with Rodgers, Lions with Stafford, ATL with Ryan, etc. As the cap grows the salaries of the next generation of stud QBs will grow as well. We'll be paying Luck a boat load of cash come his second contract.

I cannot see how Peyton is construed as taking away Eli's glory. Eli is not available for interviews. He is practicing, concentrating on the Pats. There is an awful lot to write about and discuss this week. There is plenty to go around, and the talking heads really have more than enough time to chew on everything; in fact most topics have been regurgitated over and over to the extreme. They ran out of new material quite early.

And as far as Peyton speaking out, wouldn't you? He must get sick of the owner making his tweets that imply he will not be ready to play when the time comes. He knows his own condition, and it is natural to want to set the matter straight. He knows what Irsay is up to. He knows Irsay has decided to dump him and move on, and that must hurt. He made it clear many times that he wanted to play his entire career with the Colts. And Irsay himself said even last summer that Peyton would retire a Colt. Now he seems to be undermining him. Irsay tweets his thoughts so much because he wants to be perceived as the good guy in all this. But Peyton is not supposed to say anything? Hogwash!

Totally agree with what Phil and Mike said. I love me some PM, and have watched him since his Vols days (dad's from Tennessee), but I don't see what it would have hurt to not leak the report about his health until Monday. All he is doing is throwing gas on the fire, which is a good way to burn yourself as well.

That being said, I still want him on the roster next year.

I do think that it is about his health for Irsay. If this would have been a knee injury, PM would 100% be on the roster next year with Luck. Heck, we almost drafted Dalton last year when we thought PM would play for a bunch more years. Right or wrong, Irsay wants to have his cake and eat it to, and so do I. Who really cares if we have $20+ million wrapped up in the most important position on the field. The Saints will with Brees soon, as will the Packers with Rodgers, Lions with Stafford, ATL with Ryan, etc. As the cap grows the salaries of the next generation of stud QBs will grow as well. We'll be paying Luck a boat load of cash come his second contract.

The most hysterical thing that could happen to me after all this drama, speculation, and debate, is to have Irsay write Manning a check on Tuesday, which I believe is the first day he can give the bonus and activate the remaining years of the contract, and come April still draft Luck. There is no reason the Colts can't do this, no reason to think Irsay still doesn't want to do this.

Peyton has been tacky lately.

I know I hope this all makes Eli want to play the game of his life but if he loses or sucks Sunday night I might actually start to blame this ridiculous Peyton distraction hanging over him.

Peyton has a bigger ego then the Peyton fans realize.

Geez, you people are making Peyton the bad guy in all this? Some people forget so soon what this man has done for the Colts and the city. Without him, the Colts would probably be in Los Angeles. There would be no Super Bowl in Indy. The media is going to pursue any story that is hot! Peyton is not a Favre. But I do not blame him if he tells Irsay in the end to stuff it and that he has no intention of retiring, like Irsay wants him to do. I hope Irsay is not succeeding in turning Colts fans into Manning haters. That may well be his intent. Tear Peyton down in order to get everyone on board with his plan.

The most hysterical thing that could happen to me after all this drama, speculation, and debate, is to have Irsay write Manning a check on Tuesday, which I believe is the first day he can give the bonus and activate the remaining years of the contract, and come April still draft Luck. There is no reason the Colts can't do this, no reason to think Irsay still doesn't want to do this.

That would be stunning..

Geez, you people are making Peyton the bad guy in all this? Some people forget so soon what this man has done for the Colts and the city. Without him, the Colts would probably be in Los Angeles. There would be no Super Bowl in Indy. The media is going to pursue any story that is hot! Peyton is not a Favre. But I do not blame him if he tells Irsay in the end to stuff it and that he has no intention of retiring, like Irsay wants him to do. I hope Irsay is not succeeding in turning Colts fan into Manning haters. That may well be his intent. Tear Peyton down in order to get everyone on board with his plan.

I mean, come on with this. PM is just as responsible for this mess as Irsay. Both of them could have acted differently and they didn't. Stop with the PM is innocent line. I love him just as much as the next Colts fan, but to say that he has not acted inappropriately is just so wrong it is not even funny. Have a little objectivity.

This is a terrible situation and one that is so crazy you couldn't have dreamed up this scenario. Hosting the SB, PM nerve issues, 2-14, #1 pick, best QB prospect in a long time...wow. At any rate, both PM and Irsay have struggled to handle it appropriately.

Edit: Mouth, this wasn't just directed at you...it's a much wider audience.

Both Manning & Irsay have to share in the creation of this chaos. Each should have made their own respective statement about the onus of this week was to be on the Super Bowl, with Manning directing his comments to Eli, Giants/Patriots and the NFL, with Irsay doing the same & the city of Indianapolis.

That didn't happen so the media is out and about like rabid dogs.

That would be stunning..

It would be, but beyond the hysteria, news, nonesense, leaks, opinions, and the rest, Irsay has not deviated publically from his original stance that it won't be a money issue, that he wants Manning, they thought about drafting a QB last year, will likely take one this year, and this will be worked out between he and Manning when the time is right. He expanded on those themes in his interview with Eisen on NFLN, but has not to my knowledge deviated from his original position - which was have Mannning and look for a future QB too.

Both Manning & Irsay have to share in the creation of this chaos. Each should have made their own respective statement about the onus of this week was to be on the Super Bowl, with Manning directing his comments to Eli, Giants/Patriots and the NFL, with Irsay doing the same & the city of Indianapolis.

That didn't happen so the media is out and about like rabid dogs.

I agree. When the media wants to talk about more juicy things, it is the responsibility of the interviewee to redirect the media's attention to the appropriate subjects.

Here is an example of how expertly Andrew Luck handled the inappropriate media question:

Context: The minute right after RG3 won the Heisman, in the same room:

http://youtu.be/RIwyNg6pPu4

1. I read that it was not possible.

2. The colts have to hold up there end of the bargain too.

3. We don't know if it will even take that long.

2. The colts have to hold up there end of the bargain too.

3. We don't know if it will even take that long.

1. Possibility aside, I don't even see the willingness given Condon's talk earlier today.

2. What end of the bargain must the Colts hold up? The existing bargain is the current contract. The Colts have the option to pay or not pay the option bonus of $28MM due March 8. Either way they decide to go, they would have held up to the bargained contract.

3. What don't we know will even take how long? If you mean, we don't know how long it may take for PM to recover to his pre-injury form, yes, we don't know if he will wake up tomorrow and have it back, and we don't know if he may never get it back. And this is a factor that the Colts will need to consider when making their decision about that option bonus payment.

Peyton's agent was on NFLN and said it could be done.

1. Possibility aside, I don't even see the willingness given Condon's talk earlier today.

What I saw in Condon's interview was a bit of not-so-smooth public posturing and spin control. If they're trying to get Irsay to flinch with all the comments about wanting a decision sooner than later that could end up backfiring on them. As well as hurt their chances at free agent negotiations. It took them awhile, but the press has finally figured out that the real issue isn't with the neck fusion, but with the nerve and throwing arm.

No he wouldn't. There'd be far too much pressure from the organization, and the NFLPA. The best players can't just take league minimum and >>> up everything they unionize for. Manning is a guy who also supports the other players. If he takes a cut-throat price, teams are going to expect their star players to do the same. Very few players are as marketable as Peyton Manning, healthy or not. There's NO WAY he'd take league minimum, unless he lost his mind somewhere. It's arbitrary to even suggest any player could or should do that in the NFL, and he would be ruining it for a lot of other guys with families to support.

I'm not suggesting he do that at all because, as you point out, there are financial considerations involved.

You're really just proving my point, that even when someone says "it's not about the money" it still is, at some level, about the money.