Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WG Mock w/ Trades 2.0

Trades:

Trade our 1st (14) for Giants 1st (23) and 2nd (55). Trade values 1100 to 1110. Giants trade up to select a RB, either Cook or Fournette.

Trade our 2nd (48) and 3rd (79) for Green Bay 1st (30). Trade values 615 to 620. Effectively takes us from a first, second, and third to 2 firsts and a second.

Draft:

Round 1, Pick 23 (NYG): Takkarist McKinley, Edge, UCLA

This kid is a beast. He's my 3rd ranked pass-rusher behind Myles Garrett and Tim Williams. Unbelievable speed and bend for a player projected to go so deep in the first.

Round 1, Pick 30 (GB): Carl Lawson, Edge, Auburn

My 6th ranked pass-rusher. Very similar to McKinley with blinding speed and a relentless motor. Gives us our starting Pass Rushers for at least a few years. 

Round 2, Pick 55 (NYG): Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State

Lengthy CB with good speed and ball skills. Day 1 ability that will fall to Day 2 in this extremely deep class.

Round 4, Pick 110: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma

Concerns over character push him here, and some even say they could put him out of the draft entirely. To much talent to pass on here, though.

Round 4 (Comp): Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA

Give me another UCLA defender. When you can get a potential day 1 starter in the 4th round, you jump on it. That's exactly what Vanderdoes is.

Round 5: Alex Anzalone, LB, Florida

Anzalone will drop because of injury, but when healthy could be a 3 down starter in the NFL.

Round 6: Austin Rehkow, P, Idaho

Best Punter in the draft. Handles punting and kickoff duties for us.

Ideally, we would get either Dontari Poe or Brandon Williams in free agency as well as Zach Brown. Thoughts?

Good job WarGhost! Might be the best mock I've seen so far, and the trades are realistic. McKinley, Lawson, and Conley would be a heck of a haul, and Mixon could be a big hit as well. We get our new Punter, and a couple depth pieces at defense that could be more down the road. Love it!

4 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

I like it, but I can't see the colts drafting Mixon.

Why not? Grigson isn't here anymore and Ballard was a big part of drafting Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill. He even went over to Peters house and talked to his family. I don't think there's any doubt we'd draft Mixon if his character concerns are cleared up now.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Why not? Grigson isn't here anymore and Ballard was a big part of drafting Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill. He even went over to Peters house and talked to his family. I don't think there's any doubt we'd draft Mixon if his character concerns are cleared up now.

That's all well and good, I just think the character issue runs deeper than Grigson and don't believe he'd be what they always consider a "horseshoe" guy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

That's all well and good, I just think the character issue runs deeper than Grigson and don't believe he'd be what they always consider a "horseshoe" guy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

I hope you're wrong. J. Mixon is a 1st Rd talent that can be had after the 1st Rd.

Just now, James Ducheteau said:

The horseshoe guy thing is cliched. I think Ballard will have a lot of pull should he want him. Irsay knows how good Peters and Hill are and that they had character concerns. Grigson's character thing was his policy mostly. Ballard will be given the benefit because of previous picks, even if he wasn't fully responsible for them.

I like everything about this draft.  Good idea with the trades as well.  I also had Vanderdoes in my mock because I do see him being able to bounce back after the injuries and becoming a solid pick.  You might be able to get him a little deeper too.  Anzalone, if available this late I am all for this but with his injury history I would not go for him any earlier.  That is just me but great draft.

1 hour ago, James Ducheteau said:

I like it, but I can't see the colts drafting Mixon.

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not bad 

please no Mixon

From what I've seen and heard, Mixon is no longer an off-field concern. His public apology, which I have watched several times to be sure, shows that he is 100% sincere and knows how wrong it is. Now if you have other reasons as to why we shouldn't take him, please let me know. But with his Draft Profile on NFL.com comparing him to Le'Veon Bell (Which I can easily see in film), we just cannot pass on this guy if he falls to the 4th round. Please let me know other concerns though, so I can investigate thoroughly.

5 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

From what I've seen and heard, Mixon is no longer an off-field concern. His public apology, which I have watched several times to be sure, shows that he is 100% sincere and knows how wrong it is. Now if you have other reasons as to why we shouldn't take him, please let me know. But with his Draft Profile on NFL.com comparing him to Le'Veon Bell (Which I can easily see in film), we just cannot pass on this guy if he falls to the 4th round. Please let me know other concerns though, so I can investigate thoroughly.

My concern is finding myself in a situation where I might have to root for a man who at one time thought  an acceptable course of action was to punch a woman in the face. It's not like he didn't know it was wrong when he did it. So saying he is 100% sincere and knows its wrong doesn't change my feelings on him. As a father, brother, and son I just hope that the team I root for doesn't consider his talent to much to pass on. Others may feel differently, that fine, I'm not saying it's not. Just stating my hope that the colts do not draft him.

My concern is finding myself in a situation where I might have to root for a man who at one time thought  an acceptable course of action was to punch a woman in the face. It's not like he didn't know it was wrong when he did it. So saying he is 100% sincere and knows its wrong doesn't change my feelings on him. As a father, brother, and son I just hope that the team I root for doesn't consider his talent to much to pass on. Others may feel differently, that fine, I'm not saying it's not. Just stating my hope that the colts do not draft him.

I understand where you're going. I'm not going to try and change your mind on that, but don't you agree that Mixon has a ton of talent for a player projected to go so deep in the draft?

1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

I understand where you're going. I'm not going to try and change your mind on that, but don't you agree that Mixon has a ton of talent for a player projected to go so deep in the draft?

O yeah, he's uber talented. I just really don't want to be in a spot where my beliefs and the image I present to my daughters as what a man is supposed to be is in conflict for my love of a game, because honestly I think I would have to walk away from a team I really love.

Like the trades.

Like Takk.

You're reaching for Lawson. I've got him going no sooner than the mid 2nd to early 3rd. Might want to look at TJ Watt at #30 since he is a bit more of a complete player than Lawson.

Conley is okay but due to the deep class I think there will be better options at CB in the mid-2nd. I'd look at Jourdan Lewis who could drop due to size concerns. Others could be Tre' White from LSU or Fabian Moreau, which would give you another UCLA defender.

I'm not taking Mixon right now. For me the off-the-field stuff is too big to ignore. He is talented but I can't quite get past the restaurant incident.

Vanderdoes if I remember right had a bad knee injury a year or 2 ago and never came back to form. If he can regain his pre-injury form then awesome. If not, then he turns into another JAG. The injury history mixed with the conditioning issues he has, I think I'd take him in the 5th but no earlier.

Love Anzalone as a player. True 3 down ILB. But I'd take either him or Vanderdoes not both. Can't justify 2 big time health risks on the bounce. Personally I'd choose Anzalone out of the 2.

I love the Rehkow pick. I've made the same pick in my last few mocks. Exactly what we need.

As for the FA, Poe has bidding war written all over him. I cant see anyone but SF getting him personally. I'd like to grab Williams but the contract he'd demand would scare me for what is effectively a 2 down player. I'd love to get Zach Brown though. He's a legit Pro Bowler and an immediate upgrade in the middle.

16 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

I see what you are saying but this does not mean he truly has not learned his lesson and might deserve a second chance.  The interview process and having CB actual vet everything about him will be important.  But this happened in 2014 and it was a terrible event but that does not make him someone who cannot learn from this and get another chance in life.

17 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

Agree 100%. He's a talented guy, but I cant stop seeing the restaurant video in my head whenever I hear his name called.

28 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Like the trades.

Like Takk.

You're reaching for Lawson. I've got him going no sooner than the mid 2nd to early 3rd. Might want to look at TJ Watt at #30 since he is a bit more of a complete player than Lawson.

Conley is okay but due to the deep class I think there will be better options at CB in the mid-2nd. I'd look at Jourdan Lewis who could drop due to size concerns. Others could be Tre' White from LSU or Fabian Moreau, which would give you another UCLA defender.

I'm not taking Mixon right now. For me the off-the-field stuff is too big to ignore. He is talented but I can't quite get past the restaurant incident.

Vanderdoes if I remember right had a bad knee injury a year or 2 ago and never came back to form. If he can regain his pre-injury form then awesome. If not, then he turns into another JAG. The injury history mixed with the conditioning issues he has, I think I'd take him in the 5th but no earlier.

Love Anzalone as a player. True 3 down ILB. But I'd take either him or Vanderdoes not both. Can't justify 2 big time health risks on the bounce. Personally I'd choose Anzalone out of the 2.

I love the Rehkow pick. I've made the same pick in my last few mocks. Exactly what we need.

As for the FA, Poe has bidding war written all over him. I cant see anyone but SF getting him personally. I'd like to grab Williams but the contract he'd demand would scare me for what is effectively a 2 down player. I'd love to get Zach Brown though. He's a legit Pro Bowler and an immediate upgrade in the middle.

I can agree that Lawson is a bit of a reach in the 1st round.  I like Conley and his size and athleticism and personally I think Lewis will be good but I do not want a slot CB with this pick.  I want my #2/possible #1 in the second year type player.  I will not get into the Mixon pick but I also agree that with Vanderdoes and Anzalone you have two players that have history and you might want to just focus on one.  Vanderdoes had some nagging stuff this past year and I would like this pick in the 5th as I see him being able to become a solid pro with certain players around him.  Anzalone again maybe in the 6th but I do not think he goes this deep unless his medical is bad.

55 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

It happened back in 2014 and he has apologized for it. He`s also done community service and other things to show he`s learned from this. I seriously doubt he will be a repeat offender. There`s a lot of folks who don`t want to give the kid a 2nd chance, so be it.  

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I can agree that Lawson is a bit of a reach in the 1st round.  I like Conley and his size and athleticism and personally I think Lewis will be good but I do not want a slot CB with this pick.  I want my #2/possible #1 in the second year type player.  I will not get into the Mixon pick but I also agree that with Vanderdoes and Anzalone you have two players that have history and you might want to just focus on one.  Vanderdoes had some nagging stuff this past year and I would like this pick in the 5th as I see him being able to become a solid pro with certain players around him.  Anzalone again maybe in the 6th but I do not think he goes this deep unless his medical is bad.

I like Conley a whole lot!  Smooth athlete and strong competitive streak.

I do like your mock with the exception of Mixon.  What I would prefer is acquiring either Ingram or Perry in FA in place of one of your two FA's.  If that happens I would take Mccaffrey with pick 23 which is where a lot of mocks have him going in the back half of the 1st. rd.  Then you wouldn't need two ER in the 1st. rd.  Again all predicated on signing either Ingram or Perry.  Like the trades.  

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like Conley a whole lot!  Smooth athlete and strong competitive streak.

I do too and he has good size with plenty of upside.  He is someone who can become a true #2 and possibly after a few years be your #1.  Depending on FA (I doubt we get a CB) but he could become a starter pretty quickly IMO.

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I do too and he has good size with plenty of upside.  He is someone who can become a true #2 and possibly after a few years be your #1.  Depending on FA (I doubt we get a CB) but he could become a starter pretty quickly IMO.

Very Much agree!

If Ballard doesn't land an impact pass rusher in free agency I would love something like this, although I would substitute Charles Harris for Lawson. If Ballard is able to land a Melvin Ingram, I would rather use those first 3 picks this way...

1 (23rd pick) - CB Sidney Jones

1 (30th pick) - OLB Takk McKinley / Charles Harris

2 - CB Jourdan Lewis

4 - RB Kareem Hunt

4 (comp) - FS John Johnson