Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup Qb?

theblueplague

In the event that Peyton's not back, is there any information out there on a backup for Luck (assuming Luck is the pick)? Clearly Painter and Orlovsky are not the answer. We need a QB that can fill in and keep us a winning team..

I'm not really a fan of journeyman backups. After all, there's a reason they're a journeyman backup. Any chance we take a flyer on a late round QB as well?

I am sure they would look into keeping Orlovsky. He's about your run of the mill NFL back up QB. It's not like you are going to get some kinda great back up to come in there and back up Luck. If they were good enough to be NFL starters they would be NFL starters.

We saw last year he can do what back ups do in this league manage a game and maybe win a game or two for you.

In the event that Peyton's not back, is there any information out there on a backup for Luck (assuming Luck is the pick)? Clearly Painter and Orlovsky are not the answer. We need a QB that can fill in and keep us a winning team..

I'm not really a fan of journeyman backups. After all, there's a reason they're a journeyman backup. Any chance we take a flyer on a late round QB as well?

I don't think you would want another rookie as the back up. An ideal solution would seem to be a veteran who has been through the battles before to help speed the learning curve.

I could see that happen. Perhaps even earlier than a late round. Perhaps look at one in rounds 4 or 5.

I doubt that. Here is why.

Part of the idea of having the vet back up QB to go with the young QB is to have the vet QB be able to help teach the young QB and maybe share information a QB coach might not have like playing vs. teams defenses more recently. Adding another rookie back up QB just means you now have two rookie QBs you have to teach. One is hard enough. There is nothing wrong with a jounryman back up QB for a young QB. Peyton even had some when he started here, Kelly Holcomb, Mark Rypien, and Brock Huard were all back ups to Peyton early in his career. I would look for the Colts to do something like that again.

If they can find a better back up than Dan Orlovsky I am sure they will explore it but he's about your average run of the mill NFL back up QB.

Could you see 2 rookie QB's that have never taken a snap in the NFL? Not sure that is a great decision but what do I know. :scratch:

The Colts this year had 3 QBs that had all taken NFL snaps before. That did not work out so well.

This is also based on the assumption that either Manning is back and the Colts draft RGIII and then another rookie

or

Manning is not back the Colts draft Luck, keep O and then have a 3rd stringer.

The Colts this year had 3 QBs that had all taken NFL snaps before. That did not work out so well.

This is also based on the assumption that either Manning is back and the Colts draft RGIII and then another rookie

or

Manning is not back the Colts draft Luck, keep O and then have a 3rd stringer.

A lot of that is mismanagement out of a poor coaching staff.

I could see Luck/RGIII, a veteran and a UDFA rookie.

I could see 18/Luck/RGIII and a UDFA rookie

If we keep just 2 QB's, highly doubt it would be Luck/RGIII and a UDFA rookie

A lot of that is mismanagement out of a poor coaching staff.

No it wasn't. But we don't need to go into that again.
If we keep just 2 QB's, highly doubt it would be Luck/RGIII and a UDFA rookie

One. Who said anything about an UDFA, the thread was about using a late round pick on another QB assuming they use a 1st round pick on a QB.

Two: Yes, if there are only two QBs on the roster, I doubt if they would both be rooks.

No it wasn't. But we don't need to go into that again.

One. Who said anything about an UDFA, the thread was about using a late round pick on another QB assuming they use a 1st round pick on a QB.

Two: Yes, if there are only two QBs on the roster, I doubt if they would both be rooks.

Actually it was, but you are right that we do not need to go into that again.

I said something about a UDFA, as something I could see happening. I wouldn't see us wasting a late round draft pick when someone of equal talent could likely be found as a UDFA.

The QB situation isn't a simply one here.

We have 4 QBs on the roster, and if we retain Manning and draft Luck there will be 5... 2 should be axed...

The situation would be more difficult if Manning retires, and we draft Luck...we won't have a usable 3rd string QB

Danny O did well last season I think, so we should keep him (however he could be traded a lot easier than Painter).

I'm really looking forward how they are going to handle this.

The QB situation isn't a simply one here.

We have 4 QBs on the roster, and if we retain Manning and draft Luck there will be 5... 2 should be axed...

The situation would be more difficult if Manning retires, and we draft Luck...we won't have a usable 3rd string QB

Danny O did well last season I think, so we should keep him (however he could be traded a lot easier than Painter).

I'm really looking forward how they are going to handle this.

Who's the 3rd & 4th? Collins has retired and Orlovsky is a free agent.

Will someone explain why everyone is okay with Dan Orlovsky as our backup? He has been in the league since 2005 and has 2 wins. If (when) we take Luck we need a more experienced backup with a little more success than Dan. Thats all assuming PM isnt back

He's 2-1 in his last 3 games....Keyser

Will someone explain why everyone is okay with Dan Orlovsky as our backup? He has been in the league since 2005 and has 2 wins. If (when) we take Luck we need a more experienced backup with a little more success than Dan. Thats all assuming PM isnt back

That is with the startup Texans, the Pre-Stafford Lions and the 2011 Colts.