Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jarrad Davis - Florida LB

2 hours ago, 12to13 said:

Who would you take: Reuben, Jarrad, or Cunningham?

Probably in the order listed, but I not that high on Cunningham. He is not a thumper like the Rueben and Davis. The Colts need more players up front that lay the smack down on people.

7 hours ago, MPStack said:

Probably in the order listed, but I not that high on Cunningham. He is not a thumper like the Rueben and Davis. The Colts need more players up front that lay the smack down on people.

Noooo. That's the ONLY kind of ILBs we've had since Luck got here. Time to get one that knows how to COVER.

We need a shazier/kuechly type LB.

17 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Noooo. That's the ONLY kind of ILBs we've had since Luck got here. Time to get one that knows how to COVER.

We need a shazier/kuechly type LB.

It's not an either/or proposition. Foster and Davis are LB's that can be a force in the run game and in coverage. 

All we've had are slow LB's that can't cover and can only stop the run moderately well. Huge difference.

3 minutes ago, BCoop said:

It's not an either/or proposition. Foster and Davis are LB's that can be a force in the run game and in coverage. 

All we've had are slow LB's that can't cover and can only stop the run moderately well. Huge difference.

I just said that all we've had are slow LBs. And we need fast onest that can cover? 

1 minute ago, 12to13 said:

I just said that all we've had are slow LBs. And we need fast onest that can cover? 

You objected to Foster/Davis by insinuating they were the same type of LB we've had the past couple years that couldn't cover. 

Just because they are "thumpers" in the run game doesn't mean they can't cover. Foster, Davis, and McMillan are all strong defenders in the passing game.

Cunningham is a long way off from being a fixture at ILB in a 3-4 defense.

10 minutes ago, BCoop said:

You objected to Foster/Davis by insinuating they were the same type of LB we've had the past couple years that couldn't cover. 

Just because they are "thumpers" in the run game doesn't mean they can't cover. Foster, Davis, and McMillan are all strong defenders in the passing game.

Cunningham is a long way off from being a fixture at ILB in a 3-4 defense.

Ohh no brotha. I'm saying all we've had are "thumpers" and I want foster/Davis! I either wrote my post in a weird way or you read it wrong. I like Cunningham more than mcmillan just because he seems to be better at coverage(we already have morrison)

9 hours ago, 12to13 said:

Who would you take: Reuben, Jarrad, or Cunningham?

I'm going to stray from the pack and say Rueben, Cunningham, Jarrad. Cunningham may not be the "Thumper" the other two are, but he led the SEC in tackles this season, so it's not like he is a liability there. The reason I'm so high on Cunningham is that from the tape I've seen the best comparison for his coverage ability in today's NFL is Luke Keuchly. He's a special defender against the pass. Thumpers come about every year in the draft, so we could easily grab one later in the draft or in next years draft. That coverage ability is something else though.

Just now, 12to13 said:

Ohh no brotha. I'm saying all we've had are "thumpers" and I want foster/Davis! I either wrote my post in a weird way or you read it wrong. I like Cunningham more than mcmillan just because he seems to be better at coverage(we already have morrison)

I gotcha. That's my mistake then. I read your first post wrong.

In that case, I do agree that Cunningham would be better than McMillan from a coverage perspective day 1. I'm not sold on his ability to stop the run at this point though. He has some issues with his tackling form and angles he takes to the ball.

I'm hoping none of this matters and Foster falls to 15. He's been 3rd on my board behind Garrett/Allen for a while now.

Just now, WarGhost21 said:

I'm going to stray from the pack and say Rueben, Cunningham, Jarrad. Cunningham may not be the "Thumper" the other two are, but he led the SEC in tackles this season, so it's not like he is a liability there. The reason I'm so high on Cunningham is that from the tape I've seen the best comparison for his coverage ability in today's NFL is Luke Keuchly. He's a special defender against the pass. Thumpers come about every year in the draft, so we could easily grab one later in the draft or in next years draft. That coverage ability is something else though.

I agree sir. But I would be happy with any of them! I think they can all be playmakers, and it's definitely a position of need. Dq's gotta go.

1 minute ago, BCoop said:

In that case, I do agree that Cunningham would be better than McMillan from a coverage perspective day 1. I'm not sold on his ability to stop the run at this point though. He has some issues with his tackling form and angles he takes to the ball.

I'm hoping none of this matters and Foster falls to 15. He's been 3rd on my board behind Garrett/Allen for a while now.

No problem man. We definitely agree.

1 hour ago, BCoop said:

Cunningham is a run stopper. That's what he's best at...

Not sure why people think he's an awesome coverage linebacker. He's athletic enough to become one but definitely isn't right now. 

I like Davis as well but if it comes down to it in the second round, I'd take McMillian. He's just as good but he's also 2 inches taller and might match up better against TE. I've seen Davis' tape and he's pretty good in coverage, but I just prefer McMillian because he's a little bigger and gives you more versatility. Plus I think he'll test slighty better than Davis. McMillian looks like 4.6-4.7 guy whereas Davis looks like a 4.75-4.80 guy.

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like Davis as well but if it comes down to it in the second round, I'd take McMillian. He's just as good but he's also 2 inches taller and might match up better against TE. I've seen Davis' tape and he's pretty good in coverage, but I just prefer McMillian because he's a little bigger and gives you more versatility. Plus I think he'll test slighty better than Davis. McMillian looks like 4.6-4.7 guy whereas Davis looks like a 4.75-4.80 guy.

McMillian is surprisingly athletic for a guy that's like 250 pounds. He was all over the field VS Clemson. I had almost written him off but his play, determination, and heart that game forced me to take a look at him. 

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

McMillian is surprisingly athletic for a guy that's like 250 pounds. He was all over the field VS Clemson. I had almost written him off but his play, determination, and heart that game forced me to take a look at him. 

Watch him against Penn State. A few times he's 1 on 1 with Saquan Barkley (who is the best RB for the 2018 class IMO) in coverage and he holds up nicely, including knocking down a pass going to Barkley in the end zone. He's really underrated.

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

He looks good but I just see him more of a 3rd round guy. I gotta admit that I'm little bias over Ohio State players. For some reason they all look bit slow in my eyes. 

I've been seeing Davis mocked towards the tail end of the 1st lately, so I'm not confident that he'll be there for us to take in the second. If he is there, though, he's the exact type of player we need at ILB. Good against the run, but more importantly he's a great athlete and very good in coverage, which is something that we just don't have right now.

If we can't get Reuben Foster in the 1st (which I don't think we can), I have us trading down into the twenties to select Davis.  Absolutely elite leadership qualities, and on the field he's a slightly less athletic Foster.  I hope he's starting next to Edwin next year...

16 hours ago, Archer said:

If we can't get Reuben Foster in the 1st (which I don't think we can), I have us trading down into the twenties to select Davis.  Absolutely elite leadership qualities, and on the field he's a slightly less athletic Foster.  I hope he's starting next to Edwin next year...

That ain't too bad either.  Jarrad and picking up some additional picks.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Kind of a dumb question lol. Foster will most likely be gone by #15 though, unfortunately. 

Not a dumb question at all.....

I don't think it's a lock that he's gone,  but I'd phrase it more likely than not that he's taken.

Some think he's a top-5 player....     many thinks he's a top-10 player....    and most everyone thinks he's a top-15.      So, I think it's highly likely that he's taken before we get the chance....  

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not a dumb question at all.....

I don't think it's a lock that he's gone,  but I'd phrase it more likely than not that he's taken.

Some think he's a top-5 player....     many thinks he's a top-10 player....    and most everyone thinks he's a top-15.      So, I think it's highly likely that he's taken before we get the chance....  

I don't see Foster getting by Cincinnati at 9...unless something pops up between now and draft day but if he does he still has to get by the Saints who also have needs at LB. I believe the highest he might go would be Tennessee at 5 (although they may look at cb or wr those needs could be met later in rd 1 and 2) but the lowest should be us at 15. Hard to say how things play out but that kid is a side line to side line tackling machine that can also step up into the hole and lay a lick on someone. I would be thrilled to watch someone like him running all over the field making plays. We really have never had that kind of LB in about 20 years.