Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This offseason Grigson needs to focus on retooling the defense

RockThatBlue

Just now, DaColts85 said:

If BPA in the first is Dalvin Cook then so be it.  If he pans out to be pretty solid then it helps out a lot.  Luck can have some time on plays and our play action would actually have some validity behind it.  Our D needs help and a lot of it but BPA might just be a new younger back to help with offense.

BPA is a matter of perspective. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It all depends on what they're able to do in free agency. If they make a splash with some nice veteran talent at either edge or ILB (or both), then that opens up the possibility to use a high pick on a blue chip runningback. In that particular scenario, I'd actually be fine with it.

Why not sign another RB instead of drafting one? I'd say almost anything on defense is better than RB.

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Why not sign another RB instead of drafting one? I'd say almost anything on defense is better than RB.

The free agent market this year for linebackers is much better than the runningbacks.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/linebacker/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

Have yet to agree to terms with any of these guys. Good luck seeing them signed. A lot of what ifs. 

True, but from a dollars and sense perspective, getting a good RB right now on the cheap via the draft is low-hanging fruit. Easy. The one thing we lack on offense is a homerun threat in the running game. That's a quick fix with the draft, and will be cheap over the next 4 years.

Retooling the entire LB corps is going to require a lot more resources in both free agency and the draft, and poses more of a challenge (likely a multi-year process).

Long story short, I won't be upset, at all, if we use every single draft pick on young defensive playmakers, but if we end up with Dalvin Cook, as well as a bunch of defensive playmakers, I also won't be upset about that either.

Honestly in FA I would rather see us go after a run blocking OG more than anything.  Those guys seem to be out there and for some reason are hard for Grigson to evaluate via the draft.

For the draft we need ALL D in all levels.  The first three rounds should be LB, LB and LB.  Some form of pass rushing OLB, coverage ILB and even another one of the two.  After that we can look for CB/S hybrid in the later rounds and some young DL depth to round out the draft.  The only position on offense that I wouldn't mind them drafting is a RB.  I think you can land a nice starting RB in the 3rd or 4th.

The Colts mantra for 2017 should be GetYoung or DYouth or Young&Lucky or some corny word play like that, that shows it's time to move on from old slow guys.

3 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Honestly in FA I would rather see us go after a run blocking OG more than anything.  Those guys seem to be out there and for some reason are hard for Grigson to evaluate via the draft.

For the draft we need ALL D in all levels.  The first three rounds should be LB, LB and LB.  Some form of pass rushing OLB, coverage ILB and even another one of the two.  After that we can look for CB/S hybrid in the later rounds and some young DL depth to round out the draft.  The only position on offense that I wouldn't mind them drafting is a RB.  I think you can land a nice starting RB in the 3rd or 4th.

The Colts mantra for 2017 should be GetYoung or DYouth or Young&Lucky or some corny word play like that, that shows it's time to move on from old slow guys.

Some nice ones will be available in FA:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/guard/

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

True, but from a dollars and sense perspective, getting a good RB right now on the cheap via the draft is low-hanging fruit. Easy. The one thing we lack on offense is a homerun threat in the running game. That's a quick fix with the draft, and will be cheap over the next 4 years.

Retooling the entire LB corps is going to require a lot more resources in both free agency and the draft, and poses more of a challenge (likely a multi-year process).

Long story short, I won't be upset, at all, if we use every single draft pick on young defensive playmakers, but if we end up with Dalvin Cook, as well as a bunch of defensive playmakers, I also won't be upset about that either.

Agreed there is nothing like a home run hitter. But you just have to move the chains. I'd rather draft that home run hitter next draft after we have solidified our oline. Idk about you but I don't have faith in our line, even while it has improved. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As much as I'm looking forward to the Colts investing in defense,  while I expect the 2017 defense to be better,  I don't expect it to be fixed in one off-season.       With where we are,  it's likely to take 2-3 years to build what we want.      

In 2017,  we need to get into the teens.     In '18,   something around 12, give or take.    And in 19,  I'd like to be in single digits.    Inside the top-10.     Hey, if we can do it sooner --- great.      I'm just not expecting it.   

Every once in a while a team will build a great defense quickly like the NY Giants.     But they weren't as bad in 15 as we are in 16,   so they didn't have as far to go.      And in many of the stories I read,   the writer notes that the Giants rebuild is unusually fast.       So,  their effort is far more the exception than it is the rule.

I'm always happy to be wrong in these cases,  but I don't see the Colts having a fast build on that side of the ball.

I agree it can't and won't be fixed in one offseason, but the fixing has to begin this offseason. This was one of the worst defenses statistically in Colts history, if Grigson doesn't start working on it this offseason, it will probably not only cost him his job, but the D will be in shambles (or close to it)

There are 5 reasons that the defense will be much improved and good enough for the Colts to beat anyone.

1. Irsay said he wants a "selective" free agent. This will be a very good to great defensive player. (upgrade)

2. There should be enough cap money to sign another good to very good defensive free agent. (upgrade)

3. 1st round draft pick will be a good  to very good defensive player. (upgrade)

4. 2nd to 7th round draft picks will be mostly defensive players finding one very good player. (upgrade)

5. Colts should have enough money to re-sign good defensive players. (Walden,Butler)

In my opinion, there will be 4 positions on defense drastically upgraded.

47 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Nice list.  These guys are cheap relative to other positions and we really need one, even if it's just for depth.  I just don't see why we haven't targeted any in FA under Grigson?

We have, and they suck. Wish we grabbed Incognito.

Sign Nick Perry or Melvin Ingram, Zach Brown, Dont'a Hightower, or Jamie Collins, and AJ Bouye or one of the handful or other good corners who will be available then draft a couple EDGE rushers and an all around ILB in the first 3 rounds and we could be looking good. We should look into adding a stud DT/DE What about a guy like Calais Campbell. He's still in his prime. Had a big year and would really change the attitude on our DL. A NT like Poe, Hankins, or Williams if one hits the market (doubtful). Chris Baker is quietly becoming a beast. Nick Fairly? I'd love Kawann Short even though he was a little down this year. And there's some good Guards out there too. We have the cap room. Make some things happen. We need to have a NYG (last year) or Oakland (last 2 years) type free agency. Sign 3-4 good players and hit a grand slam in the draft!!!!

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we do go RB for some dumb reason I hope it's Fournette over cook. He is a tackle breaking machine and never guess down after first contact kinda like Frank.

If you watch Fournette highlight tape it's unreal...Makes Cook look pedestrian compared to him...If he somehow falls to us in the 1st it would be a miracle...He is the next Adrian Peterson , Bo Jackson once in a decade type  running back..

But for our pass rush We'll probably let Walden go, re-sign Cole and add some joke like Jarvis Jones in FA. Then some joke of an ILB like Paul Worrilow or something stupid. Then we'll draft a RB and WR in the first 2 rounds. I swear to God if we pull some more crap this offseason we need to riot in the streets of Indy. We're the dumbest franchise in the NFL not counting the Browns. So make something happen Mr Genius GM. You are the most hated man in the state of Indiana. Pags. You're not far behind. BRING IN SOME STAR CALIBER PLAYERS IF YOU WANT TO WIN AND HAVE GREAT TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grigson is wasting away Lucks career and yet some people still wanna get on here and defend the *. We should have a great team oozing with talent up and down the roster by now.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks, but that list sucks. Not good!

Nick Perry or Melvin Ingram would be a great pickup. Then Collins, Hightower, Zach Brown, Kiko Alonso, Malcolm Smith, etc. I doubt Collins or Hightower hit the market though. Perry and Brown would be great pickups.

2 hours ago, egg said:

There are 5 reasons that the defense will be much improved and good enough for the Colts to beat anyone.

1. Irsay said he wants a "selective" free agent. This will be a very good to great defensive player. (upgrade)

2. There should be enough cap money to sign another good to very good defensive free agent. (upgrade)

3. 1st round draft pick will be a good  to very good defensive player. (upgrade)

4. 2nd to 7th round draft picks will be mostly defensive players finding one very good player. (upgrade)

5. Colts should have enough money to re-sign good defensive players. (Walden,Butler)

Historically, Rookies are so so in year one, and FA`s play below the previous years level in their year one

12 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Nick Perry or Melvin Ingram would be a great pickup. Then Collins, Hightower, Zach Brown, Kiko Alonso, Malcolm Smith, etc. I doubt Collins or Hightower hit the market though. Perry and Brown would be great pickups.

Well then i hope we get a couple of them. Or 3!!   :thmup:

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yes, it's exactly what I meant to post. But unfortunately, the forum's sense of humor and ability to detect sarcasm isn't as strong as it used to be.

Yes.....     sarcasm doesn't translate that well...

Throwing in an emoji or two will help.

I've learned that lesson the hard way over the years....

Thanks.....    appreciate the response....

38 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If you watch Fournette highlight tape it's unreal...Makes Cook look pedestrian compared to him...If he somehow falls to us in the 1st it would be a miracle...He is the next Adrian Peterson , Bo Jackson once in a decade type  running back..

WTH?

Either your account has been hacked or you've done a complete 180.

You, JShipp have a thread over on the draft page screaming for the Colts to draft Cook.     You called him an Edgerrin James clone.     Does any of this sound familiar?

Now you're on the Fournette train.     Guess Cook is yesterday's mashed potatoes.

4 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I know what you're saying and you're probably not wrong. But we do have some young talent on defense now. So I don't think will have to totally turnover the defense. I like Geathers, E. Jackson, Anderson, Kerr, Morrisson, Ridgeway, Parry, and Davis when healthy and maybe Green will improve. I know everyone has opinions so start shooting them at me.  

These are all nice complimentary players.    But none are difference makers.    None would cause any OC to worry about them.         We have no pass rush.     We have very poor defensive backs.      We have no one that any opposing team has to scheme around.      

We need big time talent.  

How good is Texas' defense?      So good that they're the number ONE defense in football without the best defensive player in all of football.      No, JJ Watt and they're still the best.

We're light years from being close to them.     They have 1st and 2nd round draft picks all over that defense.    They have very few nice complimentary players.      They're loaded.     They have difference makers.

That's what I'd like to build over the next 3 years.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.....     sarcasm doesn't translate that well...

Throwing in an emoji or two will help.

I've learned that lesson the hard way over the years....

Thanks.....    appreciate the response....

I always forget about the emojis that are built into the forum's text editor. I'll have to use those a little more often in the future.

49 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I know lol I love him but I doNT want a back in the first 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

WTH?

Either your account has been hacked or you've done a complete 180.

You, JShipp have a thread over on the draft page screaming for the Colts to draft Cook.     You called him an Edgerrin James clone.     Does any of this sound familiar?

Now you're on the Fournette train.     Guess Cook is yesterday's mashed potatoes.

No i love cook, but i also said on that thread it would be hard to take him over Fournette. ..I made that thread with the assumption Fournette would be gone...I was bored yesterday and watched some Fournette highlights and it woke me up to how unreal he is...

13 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

No i love cook, but i also said on that thread it would be hard to take him over Fournette. ..I made that thread with the assumption Fournette would be gone...I was bored yesterday and watched some Fournette highlights and it woke me up to how unreal he is...

If Fournette is not gone by the time we pick,  then either there are injury concerns or some other red flag character worries.      Because, as you noted,   he's the real deal.

I think he's a top-5 pick.      I think Cook is a top-10 talent,  but I'm not sure there will be two teams in the top-10 picks who both are willing to spend a high #1 on a running back.     So, Cook might --- MIGHT --- fall to us.

Fascinating possible options for the Colts......      a number of interesting possibilities.....

3 hours ago, egg said:

IF griggles can get some damn common sense. We need defense, people needa get outta here with that RB in the early round crap.